Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Liveaboard's Forum (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f74/)
-   -   Winter in Antibes (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f74/winter-in-antibes-129380.html)

LordByron 13-07-2014 09:15

Winter in Antibes

I am thinking of wintering in Antibes.

The prime reason for this is to have easy access to English speaking sailing schools.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has spent time in Antibes and their thoughts on being a live aboard there.

Also, is Cannes are viable alternative to Antibes as a winter refuge?

What's the sailing like at this time of year in this region. Is it subject to the same or similar winds I have been experiencing here in Argeles (near Spanish border)?

MarkJ 13-07-2014 13:53

Re: Winter in Antibes

I am looking forward to the answers to this.
What are the marina fees?

goboatingnow 14-07-2014 06:43

Winter in Antibes

Quote:

Originally Posted by LordByron (Post 1583513)
I am thinking of wintering in Antibes.

The prime reason for this is to have easy access to English speaking sailing schools.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has spent time in Antibes and their thoughts on being a live aboard there.

Also, is Cannes are viable alternative to Antibes as a winter refuge?

What's the sailing like at this time of year in this region. Is it subject to the same or similar winds I have been experiencing here in Argeles (near Spanish border)?

We spent quite a bit of time living on board near Nice and also had a boat before that in Port Vauban

No kids though , so can't comment on schools.

The winters can be surprisingly cold , wet and fairly miserable, you can snatch sone nice sailing days. But it's not an area to get caught out in.

Antibes is nice , a little on the pricy side and provisioning really needs a car if you need to access the bigger supermarkets. There's is the covered market but its a little touristy.

Personally we moved to Baie des Anges , which we found cheaper and more convenient to Nice. But it can get a swell.

Great part of the world , lots to do and see shoreside , fantastic food ( take the train to Ventimillia to buy booze )

Dave

oldsalt_1942 03-08-2014 11:55

If you've got a printing press and plates to run off a bunch of Euros then Antibes is a great place to spend the winter.

LordByron 03-08-2014 12:04

Have just spent a week there exploring. Doesn't seem any more expensive than the rest of France. Marina fees a tad higher but the location is amazing.

Have booked for six months beginning September. I'll update as time goes by.

Fingers crossed for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

MarkJ 03-08-2014 14:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by LordByron (Post 1598616)
Marina fees a tad higher but the location is amazing.

Have booked for six months beginning September.

would you mind telling us the price?

Thanks (I dont like asking money questions)

mark

LordByron 04-08-2014 10:10

Hi Mark,

Just email reservation@portvauban.net and they will email you the complete tarif guide.

Cheers,

Greg