Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f117/)
-   -   Marking Waterline on Dink (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f117/marking-waterline-on-dink-128938.html)

Tony B 04-07-2014 07:07

Marking Waterline on Dink
 
In about a week or so I will be putting bottom paint on my dink.

I will be putting it on to about 2" above the waterline.
I was thinking of setting the dink in the water with the outboard and then marking it with a grease pencil if I can get a good shot at it.

The other choice is setting it in the water with the outboard for a day or 2 and then measuring from the slime line. The downside to this would be all of the extra cleaning again.

What have you guys done?

Vasco 04-07-2014 08:01

Re: Marking Waterline on Dink
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony B (Post 1577759)

What have you guys done?

Nothing.

neptunesjester 04-07-2014 09:12

Re: Marking Waterline on Dink
 
I've done this a few times before. Place the dink loaded with normal gear in the water for a week or so to develop a slime coating. Then pull it, tape it, and clean / prep it. On a new hull, any mark I tried to place would wash off while cleaning it.

chris95040 04-07-2014 09:22

Re: Marking Waterline on Dink
 
What paint have folks used on, say, hypalon? How's it hold up? Will it be a mess when I throw the dink in the back of the truck at the end of the season?

Stu Jackson 04-07-2014 09:32

Re: Marking Waterline on Dink
 
If I was doing this, I'd put the dink in the water, load it as you would for normal loads, and get some masking tape and put a couple of pieces in strategic locations. Done. What's so hard?

David M 04-07-2014 10:04

Re: Marking Waterline on Dink
 
I agree, put a number of pieces of tape a couple of inches above where it sits in the water when normally loaded, pull it out of the water and then put a nice smooth tape line around it and then paint it.

Tony B 04-07-2014 11:17

Re: Marking Waterline on Dink
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by chris95040 (Post 1577838)
What paint have folks used on, say, hypalon? How's it hold up? Will it be a mess when I throw the dink in the back of the truck at the end of the season?

The 2 paints I looked at were AquaGuard and Pettit. Both state in large lettering "For inflatable Boats". Either one will work on PVC or Hypolon.

From asking on several forums, apparently, the bottom paint holds up well and does a great job. Cleaning and prep is everything.

I was tempted to get the Aquaguard because it comes in light gray, but the Pettit has a much higher % of cuprous oxide. Unfortunately, the Pettit only comes in black. I'm sure of you man handle the dink the paint will come off on your truck. I don't expect it to if you handle with reasonable care. Maybe throwing a cheap tarp down first will help you.
Mine will spend most of it's life in the water or on the davits.

Vasco 04-07-2014 11:27

Re: Marking Waterline on Dink
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony B (Post 1577899)
Mine will spend most of it's life in the water or on the davits.

Why are you painting it? My AB RIB is fine after 10 seasons on hard use in the Bahamas. Kept on davits but in the water a lot. A little scrub now and then and it's like new. With a PVC dink you'll need chaps more than bottom paint.

Blue Stocking 04-07-2014 13:35

Re: Marking Waterline on Dink
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vasco (Post 1577907)
Why are you painting it? My AB RIB is fine after 10 seasons on hard use in the Bahamas. Kept on davits but in the water a lot. A little scrub now and then and it's like new. With a PVC dink you'll need chaps more than bottom paint.

X 2 :thumb:

Tony B 04-07-2014 17:13

Re: Marking Waterline on Dink
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vasco (Post 1577907)
Why are you painting it? ......Kept on davits but in the water a lot. A little scrub now and then and it's like new.......

Kept on davits and in the water a lot is not the same as in the water for 2 weeks and not being moved.
When on the Gulf of Mex. I could just wash a wipe away 2 weeks of sea life. Not so on the Tennessee River. The growth was really thick and very difficult to remove. Sometimes I like leaving the dink in the water for a week or two.
I don't need more chaps than bottom paint if I'm in the shade.

Our uses are different.

Ex-Calif 04-07-2014 17:53

Re: Marking Waterline on Dink
 
Most dink waterlines I see are at the gunwales when loaded with 4 fat bastards, groceries, ice, beer and other essentials...

Quote:

I was thinking of setting the dink in the water with the outboard and then marking it with a grease pencil if I can get a good shot at it.
This is the answer... Load it with anything that it would be loaded with for the two week periods - full fuel, beach anchor, oars, etc...

sparrowhawk1 05-07-2014 05:37

It depends where you are as stated earlier. In Miami I had barnacles grow after 4 days in the summertime. But why not combine both recommendations. Mark a few inches above the waterline with tape then measure down from those pieces of tape to make your water line. paint and then after a week or so inspect it. if there's any growth above were you painted it that's all you have to clean n paint. Or third option paint the majority of the bottom but don't even try and find a water line and then after a week you just have to scrub and paint that smaller section

builder dan 09-07-2014 03:09

Re: Marking Waterline on Dink
 
I swam round the dink with a waterproof pen and put lots of little black lines worked really well

minaret 09-07-2014 04:46

Re: Marking Waterline on Dink
 
Bunch of posts from guys who have clearly never done this. How are you gonna mark the waterline with tape or a grease pencil while you're in the boat? Only way to do this which doesn't require going swimming or a scum line is to rub chalk all over it and splash it very carefully. Then tape below the chalk line, wash off the chalk, and move your tape line up. Easy and fast. Obviously any wave action at all makes this impossible.

sparrowhawk1 09-07-2014 06:24

I just assumed this would be done from a dock preferably a floating dock

HappyMdRSailor 09-07-2014 06:40

Re: Marking Waterline on Dink
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony B (Post 1578052)
Kept on davits and in the water a lot is not the same as in the water for 2 weeks and not being moved.
When on the Gulf of Mex. I could just wash a wipe away 2 weeks of sea life. Not so on the Tennessee River. The growth was really thick and very difficult to remove. Sometimes I like leaving the dink in the water for a week or two.
I don't need more chaps than bottom paint if I'm in the shade.

Our uses are different.

Where you at on the TN now???

Quote:

Originally Posted by minaret (Post 1580577)
Bunch of posts from guys who have clearly never done this. How are you gonna mark the waterline with tape or a grease pencil while you're in the boat? Only way to do this which doesn't require going swimming or a scum line is to rub chalk all over it and splash it very carefully. Then tape below the chalk line, wash off the chalk, and move your tape line up. Easy and fast. Obviously any wave action at all makes this impossible.

Yea... but have you priced Marine Chalk lately???
:whistling:

Terra Nova 09-07-2014 07:18

Re: Marking Waterline on Dink
 
Bottom paint on an inflatable seems to rub off on anything it comes in contact with. I don't think I'd do it again.

Tony B 10-07-2014 06:05

Re: Marking Waterline on Dink
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor (Post 1580619)
Where you at on the TN now???
.....

I am at Joe Wheeler St. Park in Rogersville, Al. prolly about 60 miles or so east of the Mississippi border.
We came from Texas, through La, Ms and up Mobile Bay into the Tenn-Tom and through Lake Pickwick in Ms. I'll guess that is where you are.

Regards

Tony B

HappyMdRSailor 10-07-2014 16:27

Re: Marking Waterline on Dink
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony B (Post 1581276)
I am at Joe Wheeler St. Park in Rogersville, Al. prolly about 60 miles or so east of the Mississippi border.
We came from Texas, through La, Ms and up Mobile Bay into the Tenn-Tom and through Lake Pickwick in Ms. I'll guess that is where you are.

Regards

Tony B

Yepper.... Yer in my back yard.... :thumb: At Pickwick...

Tony B 10-07-2014 17:34

Re: Marking Waterline on Dink
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor (Post 1581674)
Yepper.... Yer in my back yard.... :thumb: At Pickwick...

Sorry I didn't know about you when I went through there. We spent about 3 days there resting up and waiting on weather. We stayed at the big marina with the large Hotel/Condo/or whatever. We enjoyed the marina there.
Had to replace an alternator there and I think the town was Savannah, Tn.

I just realized that I have to update my profile. My "Location" is my current location since I don't plan on going back to Tx.

HappyMdRSailor 11-07-2014 09:48

Re: Marking Waterline on Dink
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony B (Post 1581738)
Sorry I didn't know about you when I went through there. We spent about 3 days there resting up and waiting on weather. We stayed at the big marina with the large Hotel/Condo/or whatever. We enjoyed the marina there.
Had to replace an alternator there and I think the town was Savannah, Tn.

I just realized that I have to update my profile. My "Location" is my current location since I don't plan on going back to Tx.

Notta worry!

So you were at Grand Harbor then... Definitely a nice place with some great facilities... I'm at Aqua, a stone's throw away in a MUCH calmer, less traffic corner... Savannah is the first larger 2 horse town North... Most assuredly where ya went...

We head East in the car once in a while to Muscle/Florence... If we do soon, I'll give ya a shout! Also there's some music shindig our sailing club friends go to thatta way... I'm not a good payer of attention sometimes, Or is that remember-er...

Oh hell... :rolleyes:


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:45.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.