Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   General Sailing Forum (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   Give me Encouragement to Sail from Washington to SF (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f2/give-me-encouragement-to-sail-from-washington-to-sf-127380.html)

northoceanbeach 04-06-2014 15:09

Give me Encouragement to Sail from Washington to SF

I asked over on sailnet, and they say I shouldn't do it. I've asked about this a while back, but now I'm about ready to start sailing around the PNW, so I wanted to go over it again.

Od very much like to get myself and my boat from Neah Bay to San Francisco solo. I have until departure to do whatever I need to do to get ready. I'm willing to take as long as I need to, the really only factor is the coming of fall and winter. I'm planning a mid august departure.

I can either coastal hop, or head straight south and let the coast fall away to the east and do it all in one leg.

I'm hoping to get some open ocean practice in on the west side of Vancouver island before I go.

Tell me this trip isn't as bad as everyone is making it out to be. Are there any positive experiences out there?

s/v Beth 04-06-2014 15:44

Re: Give me encouragement to sail from Washington to SF

Make it from Neah bay to Grays Harbor first. Have people tracking you. How seasick do you get? 26 is kinda small but if you know what your doing....
Also- what is your autopilot? What is your backup autopilot?
I'm not going to encourage you unless you have all your ducks in a row.

sailorboy1 04-06-2014 15:50

I doubt you really want anyone to try to talk you out of it so:

GO MAN GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

northoceanbeach 04-06-2014 16:04

I do not get seasick.
I have a new Raymarine ST2000+ tiller pilot. Its rated to 10000#, my boat weighs 5400#. I could get a second.

My safety gear is:
Jacklines, Harness, tether
Auto Pfd
All coast guard required gear
Offshore Foul Weather gear
VHF with AIS, new masthead antenna
3 GPS
Handheld VHF
All new LED navication lights
New heavy duty sails with deep second reef
New Rigging

I really want to make it. SO that counts as desire.

You're in Astoria. How often is the Columbia Bar closed? I know you have gone north, have you gone south at all? Are the harbor entrances as bad as people say? Honestly, they make it seem like they are constantly closed, so how do boats get in and out?

Lets take votes for offshore or near shore.

weavis 04-06-2014 16:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by s/v Beth (Post 1557084)
Make it from Neah bay to Grays Harbor first. Have people tracking you. How seasick do you get? 26 is kinda small but if you know what your doing....
Also- what is your autopilot? What is your backup autopilot?
I'm not going to encourage you unless you have all your ducks in a row.

newt said everything I would say.

I dont think anyone here wants to discourage you from doing it. We all would like you to get their in one piece and have enjoyed it. For that reason, and for your life sake, please make a comprehensive check list and equipment list and experience list that will enable you to follow through.

I took a look at the chart regarding newts suggestion for shakedown/first leg, and in the right weather window its perfect.

addendum: There are only two ways of doing things. The right way and your way.

cwyckham 04-06-2014 16:13

You didn't mention epirb.

How much experience do you have?

northoceanbeach 04-06-2014 16:16

I have no epirb, but am considering getting a PLB.

Experience. Its hard to describe. I feel like I'm at the level where I could sail myself to Alaska and back, or from San Francisco to San Diego.

I thought I could do Washington to SF, but Ive just been hearing such bad things.

roverhi 04-06-2014 16:23

If you don't have a liferaft, get a survival suit and a PLB with GPS. You can buy the Survival suit second hand on Craig's List of Ebay. PLBs keep dropping in cost and are pretty affordable. Without these two things, you are almost guaranteed to be a goner if you end up in the water. With them, you'll have some hope lasting long enough to be rescued.

Auto Pilots are nice, wouldn't leave home without my self steering vane, but sail can be done without. Just be prepared for 24/7 on the helm as you'll probably be on a reach the whole way. Without some form of self steering, you'll have to do the sail in stages so can get some sleep unless you are willing to heave to to get some sleep.

A self steering vane will let you make the trip straight through but stay far enough offshore the a change in the wind won't run you into something hard. An auto pilot will eat up a lot of electrons so some means to recharge the batteries is a necessity. Solar panels probably won't work well because of the limited sun along the route. Our local Costco has a Yamaha 2,000 watt generator at a good price right now.

Be very cognizant of the weather. Unless you like a challenge that could kill you, duck in early if bad weather begins to develop. During the summer, should be relatively storm free, but the rest of the year isn't so benign. Have a grew sail. If your Bristol is in good shape, should be a great adventure.

Jammer Six 04-06-2014 16:41

If you're ready to go, you won't need encouragement.

If we can talk you out of it, you shouldn't go.

If you don't know, we'll be able to talk you out of it.

Cross the Straits first.

northoceanbeach 04-06-2014 16:46

Re: Give me Encouragement to Sail from Washington to SF

I've crossed the straits multiple times and in a variety of weather. I will have crossed them many more by the time I leave. It's like the next two months are training.

How hard is it to sleep hove to? Sleep is my number one concern.

JPA Cate 04-06-2014 16:47

Northoceanbeach,

A few thoughts for you to consider:
How often do weather systems go through at the time of year you propose to go? Because when those few ducking-in points are closed, yes, you might lose your life on one of those bars trying to get in. You'd be safer farther out to sea.

I like the mention of the windvane. Quiet. Needs no power other than the wind, so that if there is water ingress and you're without power, you can still progress towards the goal. Do you carry a spare rudder? if not, how would you jury rig steering? or do you plan to call for help? Under what circumstances would you call for help? [We used to have auxiliary rudder wind steering, so the windvane answered the spare rudder question.] Have you dealt with the known defects (if any) of the Bristol 26?

Fatigue can be a real enemy, and therefore, being outside the shipping lanes gives you less traffic to concern you.

Plan your entry to SF so that you go with the tide, and also to be well rested. Stay in or immediately adjacent to the shipping lane for the best way in. It's dredged. Even the two potato patch shoals have a bad name in stormy weather.

Remember that you can only control you, not the weather nor the sea, and behave conservatively, plan your moves thoroughly before you do them, question your reasoning till you're sure you've got "it" right. (When I'm doing this, I keep asking myself "what could possibly go wrong with this plan?", fix what I can, then go do it. Waiting around too long can stuff you up, too.)

Ann

s/v Beth 04-06-2014 16:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by northoceanbeach (Post 1557098)
I do not get seasick.
I have a new Raymarine ST2000+ tiller pilot. Its rated to 10000#, my boat weighs 5400#. I could get a second.

You're in Astoria. How often is the Columbia Bar closed? I know you have gone north, have you gone south at all? Are the harbor entrances as bad as people say? Honestly, they make it seem like they are constantly closed, so how do boats get in and out?

Gee, your in for an interesting ride. Most dangerous, IMHO is Cape Mendocino and Up here north, around Cape Flattery down. During the summer, most banks are open unless a storm is coming in. The Columbia does not usually close for larger boats, but often is gives advisories for boats of your size. Grays Harbor has about the same conditions as the Columbia, but more rocks. Down south you get some harbors with rougher conditions earlier, some are very narrow, but almost all (that support commercial operators) are open most of the summer time. Newport and Coos bay come to mind.

For trip planning I like to use Active Captain and Sail Flow. Both have not let me down so far. I do not trust any forecast more than 3-4 days however.

Do not expect a rescue to come in time. The water is cold (as you know).
I think your boat is tiller controlled. I would know how to use sheet to tiller sailing and have a backup system. Though I rarely agree with that crazy Hawaiian Roverhi I think his advice is sound- a windvane would be worth it if you are going ocean cruising with this tender craft. I would also know how to navigate with line of sight and DR, and keep an active navigation log, should all your electronics get fried. (which is a real possibility should you submarine through a wave)
Also- what are you sea anchor abilities? You will have to heave too when I am just adjusting my sails. So that's an important consideration.

boatman61 04-06-2014 17:45

Okay... you heard how you 'should do it'...
This is how Mavericks do it.. grab sleep when ever you can.. sailing, hove to, when ever... don't eat big meals.. carry high calorie snacks and packet soups.. learn how to make pan bread like naans.. lotsa pancake mix and maple syrup.. lotsa carbs and glucose..:thumb:
Reef early with the main and use the Genoa (Furler..?) to drive the boat.. don't try fighting the weather.. your size of boat I'd be heaving to around F7 or running before with a handkerchief and no main if its from astern..
Also.. I would head for deep water.. get away from land as fast as I can in the window I leave in and do it in one hop..
I don't know the coast but what little I do know is its a bitch in weather.. a bit like W. Portugal in a blow.. most every shelter is behind a bar that can roll and kill you..
Load up a Kindle.. leave on a nice sunny day with a decent window to let you settle into the groove... and then do your thing.
Oh... also I like to carry a spare battery and a 40W solar panel in case everything dies... that way I can still power my TP at least 16hrs a day then heave to and sleep through the dark.

Jammer Six 04-06-2014 18:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by boatman61 (Post 1557164)
I don't know the coast...

Don't let that stop you. This is the internet.

boatman61 04-06-2014 18:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jammer Six (Post 1557212)
Don't let that stop you. This is the internet.

That means I've not sailed it.. did check it out a few years back when my brother was doing a stint as Maths Prof at Oregon Uni...
Thought it sucked and changed my mind about maybe sailing it...

cwyckham 04-06-2014 18:54

Of you stay close to shore you need to be very confident of your weather windows for each hop. We did it offshore when we went. 60-100 miles out gets you away from shallow water and reflected waves.

Plan to pull in and anchor in Drake's Bay just north of SF if you arrive in the dark or in bad conditions. You can sleep and wait for a good time to enter. We did this and it is a massive empty Bay. Super easy to anchor solo and sleepy in the dark

Stu Jackson 04-06-2014 19:56

I might have suggested this to you over on sailnet

George M. Benson | Racer – Author – Sailor

boatman's right: when going downwind, forget about using the mainsail.

downunder 04-06-2014 20:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by northoceanbeach (Post 1557098)
I do not get seasick.

My safety gear is:
Jacklines, Harness, tether
Auto Pfd
All coast guard required gear
Offshore Foul Weather gear
VHF with AIS, new masthead antenna
3 GPS
Handheld VHF
All new LED navication lights
New heavy duty sails with deep second reef
New Rigging

I really want to make it. SO that counts as desire.

Most obvious omission is EPIRB. I would much prefer an EPIRB with an immersion suit rather than PLB.

nimblemotors 04-06-2014 20:48

Find someone else to go with you is my only advice, singlehanding is dangerous no matter what equipment or boat you have.

jackdale 04-06-2014 20:53

Single handed through an area populated by shipping traffic and fish boats.

How long can you stay awake?

DeepFrz 04-06-2014 21:29

About EPIRBs and PLBs read the Cheeki Rafiki thread and then go with the EPIRB.

northoceanbeach 04-06-2014 22:06

Ok, admittedly haven't done much research into Epirb yet. I will. Does anyone know offhand how far the furthest harbors are apart if I go coastal?

jackdale 04-06-2014 22:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by northoceanbeach (Post 1557325)
Ok, admittedly haven't done much research into Epirb yet. I will. Does anyone know offhand how far the furthest harbors are apart if I go coastal?

NOAA charts are free. I suggest you download the charts for Washington, Oregon and California.

OpenCPN is free chart software.

downunder 04-06-2014 22:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by northoceanbeach (Post 1557325)

:thumb::thumb:

jongleur 04-06-2014 22:38

I'm glad others have recommended this:

Make friends with someone who loves to
sail as much as you do and who you can
trust and have them along as crew.

Sleeping while singlehanding is
irresponsible.

Flame away! I got my antiflame suit on.

robert sailor 04-06-2014 22:49

If you can get decent motoring speeds when the wind is light you can day sail that leg. I think the furthest port is about 70 miles so on that one you might be leaving in the dark. The weather reporting is quite good and there is no reason you can't just lolly gag along picking which days to sail and which ones to stay in harbor. Several of my friends who were less than decent sailors have made that leg with no issues.
I have sailed that route 4 times but always offshore about 100-150 miles and it can get damn windy with big seas so while I agree with others to avoid the bars in heavy weather I'd be inclined to suggest you keep to the inshore route.

TacomaSailor 04-06-2014 23:21

I've done the trip four times but never single handed. And, I have single handed our Caliber 40 for over 5,000 of miles during the last 19 years. That includes a number of single handed overnight passages at sea.

I think the real issue with single handing from Cape Flattery to San Francisco is the high probability of very low visibility in often crowded waters. I have experienced visibility that was below 1/4 mile for up to 60 hours straight. I have seen 50 yard visibility last 12 hours.

There is no conceivable way for a single hander to stand a safe watch for the duration of those lo-vis events. Fairly intense concentration is required to listen for fog horns, motor sounds, fishing lights and to watch the radar. My fairly extensive experience says that one person can keep up the necessary level of concentration for several hours and after that they are not alert enough to stand a solitary fog watch.

Four examples that could be difficult for a single hander:

1) Sailing south from Westport to Newport we heard a boat on VHF 16 asking for help. They were stranded in 25 yard fog and had no radar. The couple on the boat had sailed there from Anchorage so were not rookie sailors. But, the fog was so deep and had been so for 10 hours that they were afraid to get any closer to Newport and the extended Jetty. We met them, via GPS coordinates, and they followed us (VERY Closely) thru the Newport Jetty where the fog suddenly lifted.

2) 80 miles SW of Coos Bay in the middle of the night my brother woke me from a sound sleep. He could not sort out the radar display, the hundreds of sodium vapor lights glowing in the fog, and the sound of big powerful motors on all sides. Turned out there were four trawlers fishing the area in light to medium fog. We could see the glow of their lights at 1/2 mile but could not make out their shapes until 100 yards.

They were doing circular net sets and haulbacks with big net tenders so there were eight radar targets going in circles.

We turned on our spreader flood lights, my brother went to the bow with a spotlight, and I motored slowly, with a lot of course changes thru the fishing fleet spread over 2 miles.

3) North of the Golden Gate but within the approach traffic lanes. I talked with VTS on the VHF to confirm that no heavy traffic was withing 30 miles. The visibility was up and down from 1/4 mile to close to a mile. VTS told me closest large ship was two hours distant and would cross well ahead of us.

30 minutes later an enormous ship passed 1/4 mile astern of us, based on radar, at 12 knots. We never physically saw the ship but it smeared the target all over the radar.

4) Headed SE out of Noyo River about 25 miles offshore in 25 knots, eight foot seas, and driving rain with light fog. I take pride in my radar skills (at that point 10 years of Puget Sound fog navigation had taught me a lot) and was keeping a very close eye on the radar as well as frequent standup observations over the dodger. The radar showed no targets and my eyeballs saw no targets.

Suddenly, a 65 foot sport fisherman doing 12 knots appears out the mist and fog and crosses my bow at 50 yards. I had absolutely no warning that boat was there until it was way too late to avoid a collision. Maybe they saw me - I sure hope so because I could not see them.

I just don't see how a single hander can stay awake and alert for the length of time required to stay out of trouble in the low visibility that is so common along the US West coast.

On the other hand...

Bob and his beautiful trimaran Pantera has made an annual single handed trip from Victoria, BC to Puerto Vallarta and points beyond for at least 15 years. And, he does it carrying only 20 gallons of gasoline for his Honda outboard.

TacomaSailor 04-06-2014 23:36

I did not see radar listed as a safety gear item in the original post.

Does the boat have radar?

I would not consider the trip from Cape Flattery to San Francisco if I did not have radar and have a fair amount of real experience using it in fog.

And for a single hander - radar is even more important because you need as much advance warning as possible for approaching conflicts.

robert sailor 04-06-2014 23:44

Radar is of course a nice thing to have. You can reduce your chances of needed it by not sailing that leg in May/June/July as those are the foggiest months. Late August early September are the best times in my opinion.

TacomaSailor 04-06-2014 23:49

Bar Closings

Trip 1 July 1 - July 15 got stuck in Noyo River. The bar was closed to small craft but we went in anyway to stave off a crew mutiny (apparently what we three racers thought was fun was actually disturbing to the two rookie sailors??) USCG insisted they escort us which was not necessary but we did twice see the depth sounder at 6 feet in a boat that drew 7 feet. We waited two days for the bar to open so we could leave.

Trip 2 - Aug 25 - Oct 1
-stuck in Westport - bar was closed to boats under 30' when we went in with 15' occasional breakers. The bar closed to all boats for three more days but two sailboats under 40' came in anyway to get out of the nasty conditions.
- tried to go into Umpqua but the USCG warned us that if we came in the bar would most likely close behind us and we would be stuck for many days
-got stuck in Coos Bay (Charleston). We went in on a nice easy tide but then the weather caught up and we were there for three more days.
-tried to go into Bandon but the USCG "strongly discouraged us"
- snuck into Rogue River when the USCG was warning vessels without radar to stay out due to very restricted visibility. Radar worked a dream and led us from buoy to buoy - often only yards from the rocks. The USCG escorted at least 20 boats in during the two days we were there

Trip 3 - September - October
Had no problems with bar closures but we only stopped in Newport for six hours and Monterrey for five hours.

Trip 4 - September
snuck into Newport on a good tide ahead of a storm. Bar closed for one day and we went out the third day in very limited visibility and really rolly seas. Every bar from the Columbia to Eureka closed for at least 24 hours during that 50-knot wind episode.

So - in four trips we have had ONE difficult inbound bar crossing (Noyo River) and one dramatic bar crossing (Westport) and have been stuck for about eight days total.

But - that is cruising - if you have a schedule you are not cruising and probably not as safe as with no schedule

robert sailor 05-06-2014 00:02

TS you must love those little fishing villages. I don't have the patience to do that coastal hop so all credit to you. Where were you going with so may repeat trips down there??

TacomaSailor 05-06-2014 00:14

"Where were you going with so may repeat trips down there??"

I just love to sail at sea so take any opportunity I can generate to go to sea.

The first trip was to help my brother, who had no ocean experience, get his beautiful Tartan 42 down to San Diego.

The 2nd and 4th trips were to get our boat to San Diego and on to Mexico.

The 3rd trip was to teach a novice sailor how to handle the boat he had just purchased. His choice for a FIRST boat was 65 feet long and displaced 87,000 pounds (43 tons!!). The boat was home built by a skilled craftsman but had never been sailed anywhere other than between Olympia and Seattle.

The new owner was a 40 year old commercial pilot so there was no question in his mind that he was perfectly capable of piloting a sailboat. But, his father did want someone "with experience" to come along as an "advisor."

I was supposed to advice them all the way to the eastern Caribbean but "creative differences" caused me to abandon ship in San Diego. They did not believe me that October was hurricane season in western Mexico but the one that caught them near Manzanillo was authentic.

I do love visiting small towns via boat. To me the 2nd best part of cruising is pulling into some small harbor and getting out of the boat to explore.

cwyckham 05-06-2014 00:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackdale (Post 1557304)
Single handed through an area populated by shipping traffic and fish boats.

How long can you stay awake?

We didn't see a single boat by eye or ais for 6 days, but we were taking the offshore route

pdjb 05-06-2014 02:06

hey there northoceanbeach
I want to do the same thing....I am in Everett marina. Irwin 28 ft. outboard engine for power..I have a life raft. epirt. 2 gumby suites. gps. working on radio..handheld radio..they are having the seattle to san Francisco haha going in august...contact them and see if you can go with them....the cost is 250 and they are listed in the shilshoe marina in seattle..call them up....they should give u info on the trip....if you want company...try crew on this website...have a buddy to go with u...safety is first..I would like to do the same run...but if I am not ready..my life is worth something.u can figure something out....don't risk your life...wait until u r ready...that is me......tell me if you go or not in august...I am retired and I want to harbor hop down to san diego..mexico and up to north Carolina..I have all the time in the world to do this...my life is worth something...if u know want I mean....good hunting and be safe..

robert sailor 05-06-2014 03:04

TS well you have had some interesting rides down that coast, good on ya!

boatman61 05-06-2014 03:06

I'm not talking about coasting which is what you guys seem to be doing with all that traffic..
I'm talking about standing well offshore beyond the 2000metre line which varies between 75 and 100miles offshore.. well beyond the sports fish boats and coastal fishers and traffic..
Lots of advantages to this.. your in the ocean proper with a regular predictable swell well spaced.. plenty of sea room to heave to/play in if the weather goes bad..
You'll be helped by a S setting current of between 10-25 miles a day and largely free of any tidal effect to fight against.. winds are predominantly N-NW.. its a cake walk.. set off at dawn to clear the land with decent visibility.. evening should see you passing the 1000metre line on a SW'ly course till your far enough out to turn S..
But.. in the end its down to your confidence in yourself and your boat that will influence your choice..
Have a fun safe trip...:thumb:

robert sailor 05-06-2014 03:11

Boatie you are spot on, I have done a similar route 4 times down there but there are times when its not a cake walk. Of the 7 years of offshore sailing I got my butt kicked worse there than anywhere else in my travels.

Blue Crab 05-06-2014 04:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by TacomaSailor (Post 1557351)
I just don't see how a single hander can stay awake and alert for the length of time required to stay out of trouble in the low visibility that is so common along the US West coast.

On the other hand...

Bob and his beautiful trimaran Pantera has made an annual single handed trip from Victoria, BC to Puerto Vallarta and points beyond for at least 15 years. And, he does it carrying only 20 gallons of gasoline for his Honda outboard.

One on a Big Ocean ... Bob must be related to the Roths.

This is really a simple issue and this post sums it up. Does one wait til one has all the gear AND experience to go "safely", or just go when your horoscope looks promising?

You don't have enough crew or enough boat/gear to ever appease the normal folk with families, and investments and the like, and possibly never will; so really, it's a silly question to ask any large group of sailors as by definition, most of them are normal god-fearing, pay-their-bills-on-time people.

Without me quoting and retyping, I think it's drop-dead obvious that you need to go offshore in one shot. If it's just this one trip, sheet to tiller steering will suffice as a backup. If it's forever, then IMO, a vane is a must have.

Please do not get an EPIRB or immersion suit or SatFone or any of that other stuff. You are attempting an endeavor that few regard as prudent, please be responsible enough to assume the risks yourself.

Before everyone got so safety-conscious, sails like this were routinely made in small boats. You can likely make it just fine, and if you don't, please keep it to yerself.

weavis 05-06-2014 05:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Crab (Post 1557482)

Please do not get an EPIRB or immersion suit or SatFone or any of that other stuff. You are attempting an endeavor that few regard as prudent, please be responsible enough to assume the risks yourself.

Before everyone got so safety-conscious, sails like this were routinely made in small boats. You can likely make it just fine, and if you don't, please keep it to yerself.

Sometimes I just have to give recognition to the wittiest post of the week.
:thumb:

Blue Crab 05-06-2014 05:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by weavis (Post 1557503)
Sometimes I just have to give recognition to the wittiest post of the week.
:thumb:

High praise. Thanks.