Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Construction, Maintenance & Refit (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   Ratlines (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f55/ratlines-12001.html)

Celestialsailor 05-01-2008 18:14

Ratlines

I am looking to fit teak Ratlines (perhaps called ratbars) in my mizzen and main rigging shroads. I see with rope ratlines, seizing line is used to secure it to the rigging wires. Does anyone know how teak bars would be attached? I thought of bulldog clamps but that might damage the rigging. Let me know.

Islandmike 05-01-2008 19:08

I would be very interested as well, I was also thinking of installing them on both the mizzen and main

Celestialsailor 05-01-2008 19:23

Ok Folks...Now there are 2 of us...Lets hear it you boat mites!

bmartinsen 05-01-2008 19:42

My are two pieces of teak bolted together. 2 bolts per side not touching rigging.
The trick is to cut them so top is square to rigging which doesn't always remain at equal angles. hope this helps, if not I can post a picture.
btw I only did one side and although I like them , I had to change some things as my genny sheets kept catching on them when I tacked to that side.
Cheers
Brad

Auspicious 05-01-2008 19:59

Brion Toss's Rigging book shows how to seize wood bars to shrouds.

AnchorageGuy 05-01-2008 20:44

We have seen them attached with SS cable clamps with no damage to the rigging. The wood will take most of the pressure. And we have seen them with two part wood thru bolted together.

Celestialsailor 06-01-2008 01:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmartinsen (Post 123550)
My are two pieces of teak bolted together. 2 bolts per side not touching rigging.
The trick is to cut them so top is square to rigging which doesn't always remain at equal angles. hope this helps, if not I can post a picture.
btw I only did one side and although I like them , I had to change some things as my genny sheets kept catching on them when I tacked to that side.
Cheers
Brad

It would be great if you could post a picture. Perhaps I will just put them on the mizzen to avoid a genny snag...good point.

bmartinsen 08-01-2008 16:40

pictures of Ratlines

3 Attachment(s)
Here are some picture I snapped today. first time trying this , I hope they
attach.
Regards
Brad

Kanani 08-01-2008 17:06

I would be very cautious about doing that to your rigging wire.

Any place that sea waster is allowed to accumulate and stay for periods of time will compromise the integrity of the wire over time. S/S must have access to oxygen in order to maintain it's ability to be "stainless". Without oxygen, S/S will corode just like mild steel. That's why when chainplates fail it's allways where they go through the decks and are sealed in place.

I'd be willing to bet that if you were to unbolt those steps and look at the wire with a magnifying glass, you will find corrosion on the wire (if they've been there for a year or 2).

Charlie 08-01-2008 17:27

One of Cauler's books has a description on how to do it as well.

bmartinsen 08-01-2008 18:03

Thanks Kanani
I've often wondered about that but decided to do it anyway (like jumping off a bridge, if everyone's doing it, why not?) I was actually planning on taking them down
when not actively cruising but then something would happen and I would end up climbing up to fix, free or see something. I wonder if a u-bolt idea would be better?
Still seem like stress on an important part. Anyway,might not be a bad idea to inspect and "air-out" periodically, I can easily loosen them and lift.
Brad

SkiprJohn 08-01-2008 18:29

When (and if) I get my boat's rigging complete, I will use line or rope ratlines on one side (port or starboard) going to the spreaders of my mainmast. I just don't like the idea of all the windage due to wood ratlines as well as the wood extending past the aft lowers and chafing the main. I also don't like the idea of not having the attachment points drying out because wood is compressed to the stainless 1x19 wire. I don't see myself climbing up there a whole bunch of times so I don't believe the stress created by climbing between the shrouds as a real problem.
Besides, I really like the looks of the "old timey" rope/line ratlines.
JohnL

Kanani 08-01-2008 18:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkiprJohn (Post 124305)
When (and if) I get my boat's rigging complete, I will use line or rope ratlines on one side (port or starboard) going to the spreaders of my mainmast. I just don't like the idea of all the windage due to wood ratlines as well as the wood extending past the aft lowers and chafing the main. I also don't like the idea of not having the attachment points drying out because wood is compressed to the stainless 1x19 wire. I don't see myself climbing up there a whole bunch of times so I don't believe the stress created by climbing between the shrouds as a real problem.
JohnL

The rope lines will dry out quicker and there is less captured water and more exposure to oxygen.

Celestialsailor 08-01-2008 18:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmartinsen (Post 124297)
Thanks Kanani
I've often wondered about that but decided to do it anyway (like jumping off a bridge, if everyone's doing it, why not?) I was actually planning on taking them down
when not actively cruising but then something would happen and I would end up climbing up to fix, free or see something. I wonder if a u-bolt idea would be better?
Still seem like stress on an important part. Anyway,might not be a bad idea to inspect and "air-out" periodically, I can easily loosen them and lift.
Brad

Thanks for the pictures...I noticed you dattoed one side to make it a little more seamless looking. I think I will try doing the same except partial pieces on the ends...like blocks instead of a continual piece like you used.
I will put a set on the Mizzen only because as it was stated earlier about the Genny chaffing on it.
I tried climbing actual ratlines of 3-starnd rope but in bare feet it wass painful for me.

Celestialsailor 08-01-2008 18:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkiprJohn (Post 124305)
JohnL

Perhaps I can use rope on the main to the first set of speaders John. That way the chaffing/snagging would not be such an issue. I would only use them on the main to assist me starting up the mast, so the person cranking me up did not have to working so hard. Although I could use my electric windlass. On my mizzen, I am installing an AirX wind generator and when installed, I can see myself going up the high to screw around with it from time to time...with a helmet of course...:rolleyes: