Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Classifieds Archive (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f137/)
-   -   For Sale: Ample Power 12V Kubota Next Gen (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f137/ample-power-12v-kubota-next-gen-119378.html)

Cheechako 23-01-2014 09:54

Ample Power 12V Kubota Next Gen

NOT MINE! I saw it on Craigslist Seattle yesterday. Just an FYI for you PNW sailors. Price negotiable.

HappyMdRSailor 23-01-2014 09:57

Re: Ample Power 12V Kubota Next Gen

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheechako (Post 1448147)
NOT MINE! I saw it on Craigslist Seattle yesterday. Just an FYI for you PNW sailors. Price negotiable.

Nice post Cheech-no link-ako....:whistling:

Cheechako 23-01-2014 10:01

There's this cool thing called Google! try it you'll like it! haha

HappyMdRSailor 23-01-2014 10:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheechako (Post 1448156)
There's this cool thing called Google! try it you'll like it! haha

You used to play hard to get with the girls in the schoolyard too didn't you???:p

I've been googlin' all morning... Propane genset consumption data currently...:D

funjohnson 23-01-2014 11:29

looks like a good deal :thumb:

Ample Power 12VDC generator

Cheechako 23-01-2014 12:08

These things are great, you can do 2000 rpm while the big amps are going in.. then back off to almost noise free rpm for the long bulk charge.... fits in most lazarrettes!

gordwedman 23-01-2014 22:13

Spent thirteen days offshore with one of these and it puts out the amps but good luck getting any intelligent support from Ample Power. The unit was installed by"professionals" but the owner recently told me there was a mistake in the wiring which he thinks may have ruined his new batteries. Too complicated for an offshore boat IMHO.

Cheechako 24-01-2014 10:59

Boy... If you're offshore and cant figure out one of these you'd better have a mechanic on board for the main engine! Very simple device....

gordwedman 24-01-2014 12:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheechako (Post 1449085)
Boy... If you're offshore and cant figure out one of these you'd better have a mechanic on board for the main engine! Very simple device....

Not true.
The unit we had was controlled by the Geni control box. If that box dies you are SOL. The boat was new to the owners and they knew nothing about the installation. Initially the unit would run but pump no raw water through the cooling system. Could not get much help from Ample Power troubleshooting this. We never could track down the exact reason for the lack of cooling water but re-connecting a loose wire got it going. If you can't figure out why something doesn't work properly after studying the wiring diagram provided by the vendor, and studying the unit, I'd say it was too complicated to be onboard. Very frustrating when you have to guess at what might be causing the problem.

Cheechako 25-01-2014 09:46

Boy, they "improved" it huh? Dont you just love it when a company does that! Does the black box control the engine? or is just a voltage regulation device? Best thing to do is strip it all off, add an aircraft vernier control cable for rpm and a good regulator.

senormechanico 25-01-2014 10:12

I think I know the guy selling this.

He's ditching his outboard in his 39' trimaran, having a 48 volt genset built and is going to install a set of Lithium Phosphate cells for electric propulsion.

If it is his, it's in excellent condition.

Badsanta 25-01-2014 11:13

A big if.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app