Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Monohull Sailboats (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f47/)
-   -   hull ID numbers (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f47/hull-id-numbers-119062.html)

mrlee 17-01-2014 21:44

hull ID numbers
 
Hi everybody. I bought a 1973 Balboa 26 and I am really itching now! The problem is that I do not have a title. Can anyone tell me where to find the ID number on this boat so I can get the reg. taken care of...I have heard that these older boats with an outboard didn't have a serial number...True??? I am lost here...Please help!!!
Thanks for all your helpin the past and I look forward to getting out there and MEETING some of you....
God Bless...

Sondor 17-01-2014 23:27

Re: hull ID numbers
 
Hi MrLee,

In the thread about boats currently in Mexico who are working through the TIP paperwork, pre-1976, IIRC, there wasn't always a hull number to be had?

Hopefully somebody with specific knowledge of your boat will be able to give a more definitive answer.

TacomaSailor 18-01-2014 00:40

Re: hull ID numbers
 
How do you BUY a boat with no title? Did the seller really own it?

If the seller owned it - then they should be able to tell you how they titled it for state registration and for paying state and local taxes on it.

Did the seller have insurance? If so they should be able to tell you how they were satisfied they were insuring a boat that was owned by the person buying the insurance.

jeremiason 18-01-2014 05:41

Re: hull ID numbers
 
You did not say which State you were in, but the DMV should be able to help you with this ,if you have either the previous owners name or the Engine Serial number. With those they can search their files and find the information.

If you don't, but have a bill of sale, like from a lien sale, most States will require you to place a HIN on the boat before you can register it.

GordMay 18-01-2014 06:29

Re: hull ID numbers
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrlee (Post 1443367)
Hi everybody. I bought a 1973 Balboa 26 and I am really itching now! The problem is that I do not have a title. Can anyone tell me where to find the ID number on this boat so I can get the reg. taken care of...

All boats manufactured or imported on or after November 1, 1972 must bear a HIN. The primary HIN must be permanently affixed (so that it can be seen from outside the boat) to the starboard side of the transom within two inches of the top of the transom, gunwale, or hull/deck joint, whichever is lowest.

Manufacturers Identification Code (MIC) Database

The Balboa 26 was built by Arthur Marine/Coastal Recreation Inc.(USA), a subsidiary of Laguna Yachts.

boatpoker 18-01-2014 10:25

Re: hull ID numbers
 
Gord is right. After you find it you can learn to decode it here Whats A HIN ?

mrlee 18-01-2014 18:06

Re: hull ID numbers
 
Hi guys, thanks for all the replies. Ok, I bought the boat from an attorney (go figya) in Alabama. The last reg. was from the previous owner in Fla. There is NO HIN no. ANYWHERE. I have looked and a captain friend of mine (who is on here ALL the time and brought me the boat) couldn't find anything either. I have a bill-of-sale and it states on it- HULL # 115, that's it. It is a 1973...
That's all I have! It has no motor...outboard...so what next? Should I contact Fla and with the numbers on the bow try to get this going...
Thanks again for the help everybody...
God Bless

jeremiason 19-01-2014 04:56

Re: hull ID numbers
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrlee (Post 1443947)
The last reg. was from the previous owner in Fla. Should I contact Fla and with the numbers on the bow try to get this going...

What state are you trying to register the boat in? A notarized Bill of Sale from the Attorney should be enough to start you registration in your home state. What is your DMV telling you?

If you have the last registration card from Florida and your state requires a pink slip, Florida DMV should be able to help you with a Pink Slip or at least proving the boat isn't stolen...

My first boat was a 1977 Catalina 27 and its Hull Identification Number was 3438 on the CA Registration Card. Nothing fancy!

When I was a cop in California, I would do Hull Number verifications... If I couldn't find one, DMV would issue one to the vessel. I am sure your home state has the same procedure.

vientoman 25-08-2014 13:03

Re: hull ID numbers
 
Dear All,

As a one off builder of a Farrier Catamaran ( for personal use ) , how does one begin to obtain a HIN?

oldragbaggers 25-08-2014 13:16

Re: hull ID numbers
 
I don't know about home building boats, but I built a teardrop camper 2 years ago and I took all the receipts to the MVA, a trailer inspection certificate (required), the required pictures of it showing safety equipment and they issued me a VIN plate right there. I should think the process would be much the same for a homebuilt boat.

lastkahuna 05-12-2019 21:08

Re: hull ID numbers
 
I am trying to identify my boat too to register it. It was sold to me as a 1979 Catalina 39 ???? I can't get an id on the hin number can anyone help here is the number CABJ0517M79A

thanks

Cool Hand Luke 05-12-2019 21:10

Re: hull ID numbers
 
In New Jersey, if your boat doesn't have a HIN, the NJ Dept of Motor Vehicles (DMV) or Motor Vehicle Commision (MVC) creates one and assigns it to your vessel.

boatpoker 05-12-2019 21:22

Re: hull ID numbers
 
1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by lastkahuna (Post 3030231)
I am trying to identify my boat too to register it. It was sold to me as a 1979 Catalina 39 ???? I can't get an id on the hin number can anyone help here is the number CABJ0517M79A

thanks

Thats not right. The Catalina HIN/MIC begins with CTY as in the photo below.

"CTY" is the mfg ID
"J0517" is the mfg serial number
"M" Model yr. format (there are several different formats
79A" is the date code. Boat hull was laid in August of 1979

Island Time O25 05-12-2019 21:56

Re: hull ID numbers
 
Some years back I looked at late 70s C&C 36 which was a big restoration project inside. Outside it had the stern repaired from a collision with granite or concrete dock. Whoever repaired her never bothered to stamp the HIN back on the repaired stern. I figured that this was an indication of a sloppy job.

One of my boats which I purchased from a bottom feeder boat dealer/auctioneer had a registration with a funky HIN which began with a Z. Turns out here in MA such Z HINs are given to either home made boats or re-HINed ones (for whatever reason). Mine was re-HINed with the original HIN still on the stern. And to top it off it had 2 different CG documentation numbers. Never had a problem registering it though. Nor did apparently my buyer. Go figure.

boatpoker 05-12-2019 22:56

Re: hull ID numbers
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Island Time O25 (Post 3030247)
Some years back I looked at late 70s C&C 36 which was a big restoration project inside. Outside it had the stern repaired from a collision with granite or concrete dock. Whoever repaired her never bothered to stamp the HIN back on the repaired stern. I figured that this was an indication of a sloppy job.

One of my boats which I purchased from a bottom feeder boat dealer/auctioneer had a registration with a funky HIN which began with a Z. Turns out here in MA such Z HINs are given to either home made boats or re-HINed ones (for whatever reason). Mine was re-HINed with the original HIN still on the stern. And to top it off it had 2 different CG documentation numbers. Never had a problem registering it though. Nor did apparently my buyer. Go figure.

"ZCC" is the C&C MIC such as in the photo below from a 1978 C&C 34


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:12.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.