Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   General Sailing Forum (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   Sydney to Hobart Race supports illegal actions (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f2/sydney-to-hobart-race-supports-illegal-actions-118104.html)

bill good 07-01-2014 14:59

Re: Sydney to Hobart Race supports illegal actions

If you are not happy with rubber bands then how would you feel about using a ball of wool to tie the sail instead?? That works equally as well. I am not sure where the America's cup is going with Mr Oatley challange. Maybe he will change to a multihull with that reflecting on the future of the Syd-Hba. Who ever thought the America's cup would ever be anything but a mono!!

Regards

44'cruisingcat 07-01-2014 20:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorthPacific (Post 1434312)
So when does sailing cease to be sailing? I suppose it is the same in all sports! Professionalism, sponsorship, advertising revenue.

IMO you can still have sailing races even with all the commercial stuff. To me it ceases to be sailing when you need to have a motor running 24/7 in order to "sail". If you can't go anywhere without a motor, that's a motor boat.

44'cruisingcat 07-01-2014 20:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill good (Post 1434321)
If you are not happy with rubber bands then how would you feel about using a ball of wool to tie the sail instead??
Regards

It's not about someone being happy, it's about the law. It's illegal to dump plastic overboard. Actually inshore it's illegal to dump pretty much anything overboard. Including wool.

boatpoker 07-01-2014 20:50

Sailboat racers have a long history of flouting the law from laying courses in the wrong direction in shipping traffic lanes, failing to have someone on watch in long distance single handed races and boats full of diminishing liquor in club races. all in good fun :)

NorthPacific 07-01-2014 21:17

Yip 44CC, agreed. But will it still be a Sailing Race when it will be soon possible to have drone mega yachts that can compete by themselves, no need for sailors, just computer techies on land anyplace on the globe?

Not that it has anything to do with me but if I was in charge it would be simple once sails are up, thats it no engine. Engine is needed then it means you are out of the race. then it is still in essence humans sailing rather than a sail assisted "thing"

sparau 07-01-2014 21:25

Would 120hp be sufficient to drive a smallish off shore power boat that distance faster?

I know S2H rules state that auxiliary power only but IMO it highlights the absurdity if you could take their engine, install in a smaller hull, remove sails and go faster :banghead:

Perhaps the simplest way would be to get the maxi's to pay their carbon credits in time :)

StuM 08-01-2014 01:12

> Would 120hp

240hp on Perpetual Loyal.

IMNSHO, they should be governed by the ISAF Racing Rules of Sailing:

52 MANUAL POWER
A boat’s standing rigging, running rigging, spars and movable hull
appendages shall be adjusted and operated only by the power
provided by the crew.

cal40john 08-01-2014 02:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Factor (Post 1428813)
In the S2H regs I note that yachts are permitted to to use rubber bands for assisting in hoisting spinnakers. [RRS 55: Is amended to allow for the banding/tying of spinnakers for the purpose of hoisting.]

This is at odds with the provisions of the Marine Pollution Act 2012 NSW, which implements the provisions of MARPOL in NSW waters. See also NSW Policy Document.

I wonder how the self opinionated CYCA justifies that?

I wish people would worry about stuff working on the most important first and then working their way down to the least important. A few rubber bands or pieces of yarn, we're not even talking about a lot of them is way down on my list.

A group of lawyers sued the boat yards here for not upgrading pollution control systems. Turns out the yards were only responsible for 3% of the copper pollution. Think about it, 3%!!! Big victory. (sarcasm in case you missed it.) Where do you think some rubber bands fall percentage wise on the pollution scale?

valhalla360 08-01-2014 07:25

So if I mount a propeller shaped sail and use an auxiliary motor to spin it at a high rate of speed, I bet I can win a lot of races.

I'm thinking I head down to south florida pick up a used air boat and start dominating local club racing. (might have to work on the hull shape if they have any offshore races)

44'cruisingcat 08-01-2014 14:10

Yeah, I was thinking of a rotating keel, rather than a canting keel. Mine would rotate, and possibly look a bit like a propeller.

44'cruisingcat 08-01-2014 14:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by StuM (Post 1434776)
> Would 120hp

240hp on Perpetual Loyal.

IMNSHO, they should be governed by the ISAF Racing Rules of Sailing:

52 MANUAL POWER
A boat’s standing rigging, running rigging, spars and movable hull
appendages shall be adjusted and operated only by the power
provided by the crew.

I think a lot of people would agree with you.

Factor 08-01-2014 14:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by cal40john (Post 1434797)
I wish people would worry about stuff working on the most important first and then working their way down to the least important. A few rubber bands or pieces of yarn, we're not even talking about a lot of them is way down on my list.

A group of lawyers sued the boat yards here for not upgrading pollution control systems. Turns out the yards were only responsible for 3% of the copper pollution. Think about it, 3%!!! Big victory. (sarcasm in case you missed it.) Where do you think some rubber bands fall percentage wise on the pollution scale?

You have totally missed my point. Its not whether it does any physical damage or not, its the fact the ISAF say it can't happen and the State legislation says it can't happen, yet the S2H organisers don't care.

valhalla360 10-01-2014 03:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Factor (Post 1435289)
You have totally missed my point. Its not whether it does any physical damage or not, its the fact the ISAF say it can't happen and the State legislation says it can't happen, yet the S2H organisers don't care.

There's a lot of things our lawmakers say that I could care less about.

noelex 77 10-01-2014 04:30

I really hate littering on land or sea, but rubber bands disintegrate rapidly. Is this really worth bothering about?

Unfortunately sailing even with the best intensions does create some litter/pollution. When going ashore I always try and pick up a few stray bits of litter on the beach.

Factor 10-01-2014 05:28

The ISAF thinks so. The NSW government thinks so. But what would they know.