Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Meets & Greets (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f9/)
-   -   Hello folks (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f9/hello-folks-116657.html)

Audiguy 06-12-2013 12:08

Hello folks

My name is Richard and I have spent a lifetime being a crazy car guy.

HOWEVER, my partner Sue spent three winters cruising and her enthusiasm, friends and memories have convinced me that sailing must have some incredible hook, so......

I jumped in with both feet and bought a wonderful 1984 Freedom 32, that incredible Garry Hoyt cat boat with the freestanding carbon fiber mast...

She has been on the hard for a few short years, is very complete and in great shape except needing some basic TLC. She is on the hard in Punto Gorda and I live in Ontario Canada....So in the near future, we'll head down to Florida and get at her. Our hope is to get her back in the water before summer.....

I know that we will need some help, especially with advice and equipement recommendations, so please don't hesitate to jump in and lend us a hand....First off, we will look for an inexpensive place to stay in P.Gorda anytime between now and April 2014...

Soon, my friends

boatman61 06-12-2013 12:18

Re: Hello folks

Richard.. Sue.. Welcome to CF..:thumb:
Sounds you've a nice boat and adventures ahead... as to the fast cars thing.. I like M/bikes and hacking round English country lanes on the edge.. Katana 1100... Honda VFR 750... **** even a 125 if that's all that's available...
Sailing a boat on the edge has the same BUZZ...
even if it is 140mph slower...:D

HappyMdRSailor 06-12-2013 12:42

Welcome to CF Richard!:thumb:

Wondering what marquis of car that you go nutty for?????:whistling::whistling::whistling:

GordMay 07-12-2013 06:35

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Richard.

Waterway Guide 07-12-2013 06:51

Welcome aboard, Richard!

bbowers2004 07-12-2013 07:24

Great plan, and welcome!

Audiguy 07-12-2013 10:51

Thanks for the welcome wishes...much appreciated!I just bought Nigel Calders book on boat maintenance. So much information and so little time to try to work through the important things...

On cars: I do really enjoy the German marques. At this point in time, I've owned 18 Audis and 7 Porsches...Sue and I sold our Boxster S in 2012 and that is amazing bang for the buck and there will def be another one sooner than later: maybe get the boat paid for and then....$10-12K will get a great 2000-2003 Boxster S....wonderful value too... I bought our 2001 for $12,500 on eBay and sold it 18 wonderful months later for $22,000 (in Canada)....

On Audis, every one has been a quattro awd and 2/3 have been turbocharged. I spent 2013 working for an Audi dealer (in sales) and bought both a 2003 S6 and a 2007 A6 Avant while working there. Career change (got liberated!!!, read fired) and put both up for sale. The S6 went first but I will buy it back sometime in the future.....The A6 is a fanatstic car and as a wagon will carry lots of goodies to Florida for the first month of working on the new boat....I just rented a small house in Punta Gorda for the month of April and plan to work on the boat EVERY DAY until she goes back into the water..........Can't wait

SkiprJohn 07-12-2013 12:55

Aloha and welcome aboard!
I was wondering what crazy cars you had.
kind regards,

HappyMdRSailor 08-12-2013 11:53

Richard,

Obviously my question was in jest! German was the guess....

I've owned some whacky rides myself... British: TR3A, TR4, TR8, XJ8 and currently XK8... German: GTI (modded to 200+), 5000(T), 924, 931, and currently 951:thumb:

You'll have no problems adjusting to the boat fitting life.... Enjoy and have fun!:D

PS: Any specific questions, ask in individual separate posts... i.e. "looking for a cheap place in Punta Gorda"

goboatingnow 08-12-2013 16:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiguy (Post 1409347)
Thanks for the welcome wishes...much appreciated!I just bought Nigel Calders book on boat maintenance. So much information and so little time to try to work through the important things...

On cars: I do really enjoy the German marques. At this point in time, I've owned 18 Audis and 7 Porsches...Sue and I sold our Boxster S in 2012 and that is amazing bang for the buck and there will def be another one sooner than later: maybe get the boat paid for and then....$10-12K will get a great 2000-2003 Boxster S....wonderful value too... I bought our 2001 for $12,500 on eBay and sold it 18 wonderful months later for $22,000 (in Canada)....

On Audis, every one has been a quattro awd and 2/3 have been turbocharged. I spent 2013 working for an Audi dealer (in sales) and bought both a 2003 S6 and a 2007 A6 Avant while working there. Career change (got liberated!!!, read fired) and put both up for sale. The S6 went first but I will buy it back sometime in the future.....The A6 is a fanatstic car and as a wagon will carry lots of goodies to Florida for the first month of working on the new boat....I just rented a small house in Punta Gorda for the month of April and plan to work on the boat EVERY DAY until she goes back into the water..........Can't wait

Yep give me Audis over most other performance marks. I has a modded 2.5 diesel Quattro that could out accelerate most stuff in the 40-70 band. Brilliant cars

Dave