Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Meets & Greets (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f9/)
-   -   Newbie in New Orleans (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f9/newbie-in-new-orleans-116325.html)

msfxJeep 30-11-2013 08:39

Newbie in New Orleans
 
Hello from NOLA. I am new to sailing and getting a bit of a late start at it at 42. It's something I have wanted to do since I knew what a sailboat was. Now I am making a go at it. I'm taking lessons when work permits (I am an IT Infrastructure Manager for a media company).

For the record, I'm not running out to buy a boat (yet). I'm trying to start slow and learn a good foundation of basics.

Any tips or advice would be most welcome. Also anyone familiar with New Orleans, I would welcome some local tips.

MBLittle 30-11-2013 08:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by msfxJeep (Post 1403701)
Hello from NOLA. I am new to sailing and getting a bit of a late start at it at 42. It's something I have wanted to do since I knew what a sailboat was. Now I am making a go at it. I'm taking lessons when work permits (I am an IT Infrastructure Manager for a media company). For the record, I'm not running out to buy a boat (yet). I'm trying to start slow and learn a good foundation of basics. Any tips or advice would be most welcome. Also anyone familiar with New Orleans, I would welcome some local tips.

NOLA is by far my favorite city in America (San Antonio being a close second). Only tips on NOLA I have are keep eating the food! All day every single day! 7 minutes after you leave you'll be going through withdrawals with shakes and cold sweats :p. It's been almost a year since our last visit and we still mention how much we miss the food :p

shorebird 30-11-2013 08:52

Re: Newbie in New Orleans
 
42? Just in your prime. Not a late start at all. Take a sailing course, such as a cruise and learn. There are lots of good, self-taught sailors out there, but a course will build the basic introductory foundation to sailing, anchoring, docking, navigation, emergencies, seamanship ect. Then you can build on those skills to become a really good sailor. Good luck, you are going to love sailing.

msfxJeep 30-11-2013 08:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBLittle (Post 1403711)
NOLA is by far my favorite city in America (San Antonio being a close second). Only tips on NOLA I have are keep eating the food! All day every single day! 7 minutes after you leave you'll be going through withdrawals with shakes and cold sweats :p. It's been almost a year since our last visit and we still mention how much we miss the food :p

Lol. Living here means we already eat way too much food. (And way too much good drink). If you ever need good restaurant tips, I can give you some really great ones to try.

msfxJeep 30-11-2013 09:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by shorebird (Post 1403713)
42? Just in your prime. Not a late start at all. Take a sailing course, such as a cruise and learn. There are lots of good, self-taught sailors out there, but a course will build the basic introductory foundation to sailing, anchoring, docking, navigation, emergencies, seamanship ect. Then you can build on those skills to become a really good sailor. Good luck, you are going to love sailing.

Thanks for the encouragement. I am taking the ASA basic keelboat course from a local instructor. Then I want to take it further with a mix of more formal courses and informal time on the water.

HappyMdRSailor 30-11-2013 09:51

Re: Newbie in New Orleans
 
Welcome to CF!:thumb:

Lots of great members from the NOLA area... bobconnie and group9 off the top of my head.... They are pretty active and extremely helpful...:D

Stumble 30-11-2013 09:53

Re: Newbie in New Orleans
 
The easiest way to get time on the water is to start racing. There are a lot of boats around that are always looking for crew, and would be happy to teach you, though having a basic idea from classes is a great foundation. Get in touch with Buzzy at NOYC (New Orleans Yacht Club) and she will help get you in touch with boats looking for crew.

There isn't a lot of cruising on the lake, simply because there isn't anywhere to go, but there is a lot of racing. You are about a month late for the Wednesday night racing, but it will restart in March, there are small boat one design races every Friday evening, almost every weekend has something going on, with a few major regattas coming up in the next month.

If racing isn't on your list the cheapest way to get on the water is to join NOYC as a member, which comes with free use of our boats (disclaimer: I am a board member) whenever you want them.

For cruising there are only a handful of destinations nearby, mostly because the lake is armored on all sides. You can go to Slidell, Mandeville, or up either river. Otherwise you have to head out to the Gulf, where there are some fun places to hit on the coast, and a lot of small islands on the sound.

shorebird 30-11-2013 10:09

Re: Newbie in New Orleans
 
Stumble and Buzzy? Hope you choose your weather better than your nicknames.
(;-)

msfxJeep 30-11-2013 13:32

Stumble,

Thanks a lot for the info. I'm not sure racing is my thing. Work is fact paced enough, but I'm willing to give anything a try. You never know.

I have checked out NOYC but maybe it was newbie ignorance, I figured it would be useful to have a boat first. I'll give it a second look now for sure. I'll reach out to Buzzy after the holidays to get more info on memberships.

Thanks again for all the great info.

Michael

Stumble 30-11-2013 16:16

Re: Newbie in New Orleans
 
Stumble was the name of the first boat I paid for with my money - a J-22
Buzzy is the name of our club manager.


No near at all to own a boat. We are very much a blue jean type club. With a lot of very, very good sailors. SYC nearby is more of a traditional YC, but also has some extraordinary sailors.

Racing isn't for everyone, but it's is the fastest way to learn. And a lot of our racing is somewhat low key, particularly the Wednesday and Friday racing.

nolagal 30-11-2013 17:44

Re: Newbie in New Orleans
 
Absolutely Buzzy and NOYC. Great folks and the racing is pretty laid back with $5. burgers afterwards. We are members but off cruising for now. We've always loved the low down on NOYC. There any member can get you in while at SYC any member can keep you out.
Plus the drinks are big and wonderful.
My town, yeah!

Dale
S/V WAHOO

msfxJeep 30-11-2013 19:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolagal (Post 1403998)
Absolutely Buzzy and NOYC. Great folks and the racing is pretty laid back with $5. burgers afterwards. We are members but off cruising for now. We've always loved the low down on NOYC. There any member can get you in while at SYC any member can keep you out. Plus the drinks are big and wonderful. My town, yeah! Dale S/V WAHOO

Thanks Dale. After the holidays, I am going to check out NOYC. I'm going to volunteer to crew at the Wed/Fri races this spring. I may love racing. Who knows? I do love a $5 burger and a big drink.

Backloop 01-12-2013 05:58

Hello msfxJeep. We are in nearby Fairhope, and my girlfriend is from NO. Look forward to learning along side you.

msfxJeep 01-12-2013 10:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Backloop (Post 1404269)
Hello msfxJeep. We are in nearby Fairhope, and my girlfriend is from NO. Look forward to learning along side you.

Backloop,

Are you guys just starting? What's the scene like over in Fairhope?

Backloop 01-12-2013 10:48

We have completed the first sailing course, ASA 101, & have been sailing 25' Catalina's in PCola for a year. We did a bareboat BVI trip last year & have become hooked. We are trying to buy a 36' Mariner to gain experience sailing in Mobile Bay. I feel fairly confident sailing as long as all is good. Just need to learn for those inevitable times ahead when we are tested with the unexpected.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:03.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.