Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Europe & Mediterranean (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Greek 'Pay as You Go' Data sim card (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f17/greek-pay-as-you-go-data-sim-card-116154.html)

Alenka 27-11-2013 03:37

Greek 'Pay as You Go' Data sim card
 
Can anyone recommend a good deal for a 'Pay as You Go' data sim card for Greece.

My intention is to install a mobile Wifi hub for internet use and then use 'Viber' for telephone calls.

I don't really want to pay for telephone minutes as I will never use them.

Thanks

beneteau-500 27-11-2013 03:44

Re: Greek 'Pay as You Go' Data sim card
 
I use the vodafone package you can get a wifi transmitter thing ma jig its about half the size of a blackberry phone and can connect up to five devices to it it costs about 40 euros a month for I think up to 4 gb of data i used it every day for internet and used it to connect to skype to make phone calls

miyagimoon 27-11-2013 03:50

Re: Greek 'Pay as You Go' Data sim card
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alenka (Post 1401167)
Can anyone recommend a good deal for a 'Pay as You Go' data sim card for Greece.

My intention is to install a mobile Wifi hub for internet use and then use 'Viber' for telephone calls.

I don't really want to pay for telephone minutes as I will never use them.

Thanks

We use Cosmote. The best coverage comes from Cosmote followed probably by Vodafone then Wind.

You will need to purchase a USB WIFI Dongle about 30 Euro, Cosmote will charge 20 euro for 5GB (30 days) or 15 Euro for 2GB, Pay as you Go.

We do similar but use skype for telephone calls.

miyagimoon 27-11-2013 03:52

Re: Greek 'Pay as You Go' Data sim card
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by beneteau-500 (Post 1401171)
I use the vodafone package you can get a wifi transmitter thing ma jig its about half the size of a blackberry phone and can connect up to five devices to it it costs about 40 euros a month for I think up to 4 gb of data i used it every day for internet and used it to connect to skype to make phone calls

Hi Dale,

How you doing. Send me a PM I'll update you on what everyone is up to.

Albert

beneteau-500 27-11-2013 04:04

Re: Greek 'Pay as You Go' Data sim card
 
ok fat albert i am now ok sought of have lost part use of right arm at moment

PhilDuhs 27-11-2013 04:12

Re: Greek 'Pay as You Go' Data sim card
 
If you can have multiple people on a PM add me to the conversation - would love to catch up on what's been going on. Phil.

Jacques2 27-11-2013 04:23

Re: Greek 'Pay as You Go' Data sim card
 
You do not need to buy a dongle !
With COMSMOTE, you buy only the prepaid SIM card (the one for data only) and then, on your smartphone or tablet, you can activate "connection sharing" and it will work (wifi) with 4 other items...
We did it last spring, no problem, 2 or 5 Go, and something like 20 € a month

PhilDuhs 27-11-2013 04:28

Re: Greek 'Pay as You Go' Data sim card
 
I do the same Jacques2 with Vodafone - means you need a spare phone though, or be willing to give up your "home" SIM card while the phone's being used with the Greek one. Some USB dongles work with multiple countries SIM cards so would be worth testing what you have already before paying for a new dongle. Another reason Vodafone is good - they're in multiple countries and one dongle will serve multiple SIM's as you travel around...

Jacques2 27-11-2013 04:36

Re: Greek 'Pay as You Go' Data sim card
 
OK, it depends on the use you have. As i am concerned, I put the Cosmote SIM card in my iPad, so I can still use my iPhone for phoing function (without removing my SFR - french - Sim card inside) if necessary... When in Italy I buy a Vodaphone SIM card for the iPad, and so on...

miyagimoon 27-11-2013 10:09

Re: Greek 'Pay as You Go' Data sim card
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacques2 (Post 1401182)
You do not need to buy a dongle !
With COMSMOTE, you buy only the prepaid SIM card (the one for data only) and then, on your smartphone or tablet, you can activate "connection sharing" and it will work (wifi) with 4 other items...
We did it last spring, no problem, 2 or 5 Go, and something like 20 € a month

What happens if you are not an up to date trendy sailor and do not own a smart phone of tablet? Dongle me thinks!!:devil:

Jacques2 27-11-2013 15:23

Re: Greek 'Pay as You Go' Data sim card
 
What is the use of a SIM data card if you have no smartphone or tablet ?

miyagimoon 27-11-2013 16:18

Re: Greek 'Pay as You Go' Data sim card
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacques2 (Post 1401627)
What is the use of a SIM data card if you have no smartphone or tablet ?

I'm not a telecoms expert and may be wrong. But I do believe that you need a Sim card to use in either a usb 3g / 4g dongle or a smartphone / tablet. The OP did not specify what it was to be used in.

I may be wrong but I also believe that a DATA Sim Card and a Sim Card are the same thing.

Alenka 27-11-2013 16:48

Re: Greek 'Pay as You Go' Data sim card
 
Thanks to everyone for the comments.

Just to clarify…

I'm going to be using one of those stand alone hub thingies so that more than one person can access the internet and I don't want to be swapping sims in my phone. The cost is minimal for the device.

I use around 400megs of data a month and as I only spend around 8 weeks on the boat a monthly contract is a bit of overkill so 'pay as you go' works for me at €15 for 2Gb.

I asked the question because I was told that data only sims are not really that popular in some countries and not easy to come by. I don't want a standard sim that gives 100 mins of talk time, 500 SMS messages and just 250 megs of data
because i would be paying for elemens that would never get used.

Thanks again

goboatingnow 27-11-2013 18:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alenka (Post 1401679)
Thanks to everyone for the comments.

Just to clarify…

I'm going to be using one of those stand alone hub thingies so that more than one person can access the internet and I don't want to be swapping sims in my phone. The cost is minimal for the device.

I use around 400megs of data a month and as I only spend around 8 weeks on the boat a monthly contract is a bit of overkill so 'pay as you go' works for me at €15 for 2Gb.

I asked the question because I was told that data only sims are not really that popular in some countries and not easy to come by. I don't want a standard sim that gives 100 mins of talk time, 500 SMS messages and just 250 megs of data
because i would be paying for elemens that would never get used.

Thanks again

Why do you think standard sims give that setup. It varies all over the place.

Dave

goboatingnow 27-11-2013 18:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by miyagimoon (Post 1401659)

I'm not a telecoms expert and may be wrong. But I do believe that you need a Sim card to use in either a usb 3g / 4g dongle or a smartphone / tablet. The OP did not specify what it was to be used in.

I may be wrong but I also believe that a DATA Sim Card and a Sim Card are the same thing.

Technically there is no difference , but SIM cards can be provisioned to have voice 2G 3G or other selectable combinations. However some " data cards " Are provisioned for voice. Also data cards tend to be provisioned to prioritise 3G , wherease voice cards may not. Depends on the operators priority.

Note many providers will tell you you have to have data SIM cards in tablets. Generally not true.

Dave


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 15:37.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.