Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Europe & Mediterranean (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Greek Tax! - MERGED 4 THREADS (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f17/greek-tax-merged-4-threads-115410.html)

krissteyn 30-01-2014 04:31

Re: Greek Tax! - MERGED 4 THREADS
 
technically - a country can never be bankrupt - just deeper in the SH 1 T ...
for which its poor citizens pay - Bring back the Romans - let Italy rule the world again :) More slaves - sod this minimum wage crap !

Alenka 31-01-2014 10:01

Re: Greek Tax! - MERGED 4 THREADS
 
As interesting as this talk or paper money, the gold standard and bankruptcy is perhaps we could see a little restraint and keep on topic.

There are thousands of boats going to be affected by this tax and right now directly related hard facts is what people want to see and read about.

Thanks

hoppy 31-01-2014 10:06

Re: Greek Tax! - MERGED 4 THREADS
 
but the OT chit-chat keeps the topic alive whilst we wait for the Greeks to finally implement the tax.

If this thread goes dormant it is likely that by the time the Greeks give us something new to discuss, the thread will have to have it's title changed to Greek Tax! - MERGED 10 THREADS :)

Alenka 31-01-2014 10:19

Re: Greek Tax! - MERGED 4 THREADS
 
But if you were a livaboard in Greece (or any where else with plans to transit greek waters) without a high speed internet connection would you really want to read thought lots and lots of OT pages to find the information you really wanted?

NornaBiron 31-01-2014 10:31

Re: Greek Tax! - MERGED 4 THREADS
 
New Greek Cruising Tax | CA

The CA is the place to go for the best and most up to date information in my opinion. Forum threads inevitably get filled with opinions rather than facts.

hoppy 31-01-2014 12:12

Re: Greek Tax! - MERGED 4 THREADS
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alenka (Post 1455185)
But if you were a livaboard in Greece (or any where else with plans to transit greek waters) without a high speed internet connection would you really want to read thought lots and lots of OT pages to find the information you really wanted?

At the moment there already is 27 pages of meaningless discussion. It's meaningless because until we know exactly how the Greek ministry intends to implement the new tax, we don't really know what will exactly happen.

Quite frankly once an official document outlines the implementation, nothing that was said before will have any real value, so this thread should be closed and a fresh thread should be started.

Reading this thread will just confuse people :whistling:

gegroves 31-01-2014 12:54

Re: Greek Tax! - MERGED 4 THREADS
 
Second the post to close this thread. Reading through all this is like reading a blog of the blind men describing an elephant. No one knows what will happen until someone departs their Greek marina and reports what actually happened to them; or the Greeks change what they have published about the reported tax law changes.

hoppy 31-01-2014 13:40

Re: Greek Tax! - MERGED 4 THREADS
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by gegroves (Post 1455317)
Second the post to close this thread. Reading through all this is like reading a blog of the blind men describing an elephant.

LOL :thumb:

jckb 01-02-2014 05:10

Re: Greek Tax! - MERGED 4 THREADS
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by NornaBiron (Post 1455190)
New Greek Cruising Tax | CA

The CA is the place to go for the best and most up to date information in my opinion. Forum threads inevitably get filled with opinions rather than facts.

Thanks for that! Yes, that page is kept up to date, and we don't publish anything on it unless it has been verified.

For those who criticise this thread. Yes, there's a lot of irrelevant material. But the opinions written have been invaluable in helping us frame the list of questions and suggestions we sent to the Greek Ministry of Maritime on 27 January (you can see those as an attachment to the CA post, above).

We've already had a first list of replies, and we're evaluating those. The Ministry read our web site pages, and confirm they found no errors on them as at 30 January. They will be helping us keep those pages up to date.

Jim Baerselman, for the CA.

Alenka 02-02-2014 13:04

Re: Greek Tax! - MERGED 4 THREADS
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by athene (Post 1417589)
It's interesting to read the closing communique from Posidonia 2013, the international showcase for the Greek shipping and marine tourism industry, back in May this year (Posidonia - Posidonia Sea Tourism Forum, Press Releases). Some interesting facts emerge, such as the information that the 17,700 pleasure boats in Greece account for the employment of 40,000 people and that the annual contribution to the Greek economy from pleasure boat activity is around €600 million.

Speaker after speaker appears to have lamented the failure of Greece to attract its fair share of the marine leisure market, but I've no doubt their arguments too have fallen on deaf ears so far. It may need a debacle like the ill-fated Sardinia cruising tax in 2012 to convince the Greek government of their mistake.


Unfortunately the CA web site does not fill me with optimism over the Greek Tax. The Minisity has done nothing but confirm to the CA that 12m+ boats will only pay for the months they are in the water. Sub 12m boats will still have to pay for a full year regardless of if they stay for just a week or two.

Equally, as most husband and wife liveaboards will find it difficult to transit from Italy/Croatia to Turkey as a non-stop passage, I condiser it likely that many will have to pay the tax to secure just a couple of good nights of sleep along the way.

I quote the above, posted by Athene, because even an eleven year old with a grasp of math would quickly come to the conclusion this tax is self defeating.

If just 10% of the 17,700 boats the Greek say they have in their waters leave; And the reaming boats pay an average of 1,000€ each, the tax would yield €19.93 million. Reduce the €600 million income these boats contribute to the economy by 10% - €60 million - and alarms bells should start ringing. Their economy loses out to €40.07 million per annum!

This is not even factoring in the no shows this summer from nearby countries who will cruise elsewhere.

The only positive I can see is that the 700€ I will pay out in tax might mean that I find it easier to get a nice spot on along a quayside that would otherwise be packed tight. But that won't last because when all ready hard pressed Tavernas start to close willl those quayside have any appeal?

This is a lose, lose situation.

goboatingnow 02-02-2014 16:29

Re: Greek Tax! - MERGED 4 THREADS
 
Can I ask where u get the 600 million from.

Could I further suggest that criticism of the tax be delayed until we see the actual implementation. I have it on good authority that many representations have been made to the relevant Minister and we shall see what actually transpires. It may not even be implemented this year.

Dave

Alenka 02-02-2014 16:56

Re: Greek Tax! - MERGED 4 THREADS
 
I thought I had made it clear from the quote where the figure of €600 million had come from!

As for just sitting back and doing nothing until after the event is no way to conduct any form of business.

goboatingnow 02-02-2014 17:00

Greek Tax! - MERGED 4 THREADS
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alenka (Post 1457211)
I thought I had made it clear from the quote where the figure of €600 million had come from!

As for just sitting back and doing nothing until after the event is no way to conduct any form of business.

If you are making your own representations to the relevant ministry that's great.

If you're here tilting at windmills, given that very few facts have been confirmed and several sources have indicated that representations are ongoing, I see little point in a rant ? Well venting may be helping u )

I have friends in Greece, what that country has gone through is significant, a few cruisers caught on the crossfire is somewhat irrelevant

PS when I meant the 600 million I meant to say where u determined the 60 million. Ie why 10 %

Dave

Alenka 02-02-2014 17:22

Re: Greek Tax! - MERGED 4 THREADS
 
Firstly, I am not on a rant. I am putting forward a reasoned argument as to why this tax makes no sense at all and will only do Greece more harm than good.

Secondly, we all have freinds in Greece and we all sympathise with the hardship they are going through. However, driving away customers who want to spend money with you is never a good thing.

Yes, I have already made personal representations to the Greek Government as have many other individuals. And yes I am grateful that unions and commercial interest are also making representations. Hopefully what comes out of it will be a win, win situation.

Barra 02-02-2014 18:22

Re: Greek Tax! - MERGED 4 THREADS
 
Well ive booked my flights and will be in Greece early April. Hope the greeks know what they are doing by then!

If not I can see us having to pay the annual transit log fees of around 1200 euro when we put back in the water then get hit up with a double whammy for the cruising tax at the next port down the road of another 1300 euro!

Ouch!

goboatingnow 02-02-2014 19:04

Re: Greek Tax! - MERGED 4 THREADS
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alenka (Post 1457234)
Firstly, I am not on a rant. I am putting forward a reasoned argument as to why this tax makes no sense at all and will only do Greece more harm than good.

Secondly, we all have freinds in Greece and we all sympathise with the hardship they are going through. However, driving away customers who want to spend money with you is never a good thing.

Yes, I have already made personal representations to the Greek Government as have many other individuals. And yes I am grateful that unions and commercial interest are also making representations. Hopefully what comes out of it will be a win, win situation.

We all agree, but most boats in Greece are probably Greek owned or charter and most of those will not be leaving. Furthermore I suspect that some compromise will be reached for short term visitors ( typically like the Italian invasion).

After that you have either long stay visitors who have enough money , ( ie wealthy Northern Europeans ) or long stay cruisers who don't have or won't have the money, I suspect the nett effect will not be quite as dramatic as you think.

We shall see, Greece tends to surprise

Dave

hoppy 02-02-2014 23:20

Re: Greek Tax! - MERGED 4 THREADS
 
I suspect that the exodus will be quite small. Sure Greece will suddenly be more expensive but it is not pricing itself out of business.

I've been looking at Turkish marinas and the prices there make my current marina, Corfu, look dirt cheap, even if I add another 1300 for my likely tax. Admittedly the facilities do look much better. I have noticed that pretty much all of the marinas there look to be a long way from airports and the cheap marinas are very isolated. Not a problem for someone who does one 4-6 week sail per year, but I like to do a few short trips, which adds to the cost if I have to take an extra day off work to make the long weekend worthwhile.

I think that the principle of tax makes perfect sense and will not be the "disaster" some people are predicting. As long as they remove the 11.99-12.00 anomaly and make short visits more sensibly priced, then there is little to complain about other than that Greece will be less cheap.

I do hope however that the free-loader pieces of junk that litter some town quays do move as a result of the tax.

Whist I originally was going to jump out of principle, now my moving from Corfu will be solely based on greener pastures and big picture financials.

yeloya 04-02-2014 09:15

Re: Greek Tax! - MERGED 4 THREADS
 
I don't understand why people is getting so anxious about this tax.. Greek gövernment has announced today that 9,16 billion € worth tax hasn't been paid only in 2013..
Don't worry, this will be one of these..

Cheers

Yeloya

Barra 04-02-2014 16:23

Re: Greek Tax! - MERGED 4 THREADS
 
gotta laugh at that Yeloya!

Hope you are right but either way the uncertainty will do more and more harm the longer it drags on. Said it before and ill say it again - FARCE@!!!!!!

goboatingnow 04-02-2014 20:38

Re: Greek Tax! - MERGED 4 THREADS
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Barra (Post 1458976)
gotta laugh at that Yeloya!

Hope you are right but either way the uncertainty will do more and more harm the longer it drags on. Said it before and ill say it again - FARCE@!!!!!!

Taxes implemented do harm , taxes un implemented do no harm , a universal truth !!

In the context of greeces history on tax , this is model legislation, far from a farce methinks

Dave

reefhunter 05-02-2014 07:43

Re: Greek Tax! - MERGED 4 THREADS
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by NornaBiron (Post 1454026)
If you're referring to Greece, it is not bankrupt.

Nope - the USofA:banghead:

MacG 07-02-2014 10:35

Re: Greek Tax! - MERGED 4 THREADS
 
Greek is as bankrupt as a country can be. They require systematically the aid of the ECB and it never stops till they are removed from the Union. Again they require another 15 billion to survive for a couple of months. However this is pure politics and off the road of this forum.

yeloya 07-02-2014 13:04

Re: Greek Tax! - MERGED 4 THREADS
 
I think we should alll stop discussing the macroeconomics and financial situation in Greece, this is not the point. Whether Greece is still worth visiting or whether this would help Greece to get out of trouble or not is also not the point.
The point is whether this new regulation will be applied or not and if yes how ?

Cheers

Yeloya

Onje of my friend has visited Rhodes last week end and was not asked to pay anything like this.
Let's just wait and see ..:)

Cheers

Yeloya

NornaBiron 07-02-2014 14:46

Re: Greek Tax! - MERGED 4 THREADS
 
[QUOTE=yeloya;1461948

One of my friend has visited Rhodes last week end and was not asked to pay anything like this.a[/QUOTE]

The tax cannot be collected until the TAXIS system is up and running, the earliest this is expected is the end of February. I'm hoping that GMT (Greek Maybe Time) is as accurate as ever!

jckb 08-02-2014 02:43

Re: Greek Tax! - MERGED 4 THREADS
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by yeloya (Post 1461948)
The point is whether this new regulation will be applied or not and if yes how?
Yeloya

Let's just wait and see ..:)

Agree.

The Cruising Association (CA) is exchanging regular emails with the Ministry of Marine in Greece, and is keeping www.cruising.org.uk/news/greektax up to date as we receive replies to our questions. At the end of January, the ministry confirmed that information on the page was accurate.

The questions we have asked the Ministry can be seen at https://www.cruising.org.uk/system/files/Greek%20Tax%20email%20to%20Ministry-C.docx .

We have had replies to all those questions. The first 6 are largely answered and accepted, though Corinth Canal passage rules are not yet clear.

We're negotiating about the step change at 12m and it's effect on short term visitors in boats of 12m or less. However, the Ministry of Finance is boss, and strongly resist changes which they believe may reduce total tax take.

Our main aim is to ensure point 8 is achieved; a complete change to Port Police regulations.

JimB, for the CA

Alenka 08-02-2014 04:25

Re: Greek Tax! - MERGED 4 THREADS
 
Hi Jim,

You say the first six point in your letter are, in the main, answered and accepted. The real BIG question you raise, Point 7, seems to have been ignored by the Ministry.

7 Monthly payments
.
We understand that a boat over 12m which visits from another country may choose to pay for only one month at a time, with no commitment to pay for any other months.


My understanding from the information I have receievd, through the dry land Marina I use, is that we are not expected to pay for the time the boat is ashore.

With regards to your comment on port Taxes…

8 Current Port Police Fees.

Very few visitors bother to pay the current port police fees (fewer than 2% in the Ionian). This is because the collection system is deeply un-popular, and therefore avoided. Visitors prefer to spend €20 in tavernas, rather than spending an hour finding a port police office, then standing in queues, and sometimes paying a taxi, all in order to pay €8 in one office, then €0.88 in a tax office, which is often closed. Greece is the only EU country which puts leisure sailors to this daily inconvenience. Recommendation: The large majority of our correspondents tell us that if the monthly/yearly tax replaced the current port police reporting routines, they would accept the new tax as a great improvement in the total Greek cruising experiences. This should also release Port Police and give them more time to monitor collection of the new tax.


You have hit the nail on the head. I have also given up looking for the Port police which are often hidden away, sometimes closed when you do find them, or even brushed aside by an officer who has something else to sort out.

As others have stated previoulsy if the new tax deters those that use Greek quaysides (and this includes some locals) as a dumping ground for boats that are rarely used this is a bit of a win win situation. It means there is more room for genuine cruisers to dock and spend their money ashore.

jckb 08-02-2014 05:11

Re: Greek Tax! - MERGED 4 THREADS
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alenka (Post 1462493)
My understanding from the information I have receievd, through the dry land Marina I use, is that we are not expected to pay for the time the boat is ashore.

You're not exactly correct! I say that, because there's no rebate for time ashore (or in another country) once you've paid. However, boats "out of use" will not have to produce proof of payment. The Ministry agrees that "boats out of use" includes all boats ashore. We're negotiating for this also to include boats which remain afloat which hand in their boat's papers, thus putting themselves in bond. They may require such boats to be in designated places (licensed marinas, whatever). This is to prevent a way out for:
Quote:

As others have stated previously if the new tax deters those that use Greek quaysides (and this includes some locals) as a dumping ground for boats that are rarely used this is a bit of a win win situation. It means there is more room for genuine cruisers to dock and spend their money ashore.
And especially more room for the charter companies, who often help finance quays and pontoons, only to find them filled next year with what I'd define as house boats
Quote:

8 Current Port Police Fees.

Very few visitors bother to pay the current port police fees (fewer than 2% in the Ionian). This is because the collection system is deeply un-popular, and therefore avoided. Visitors prefer to spend €20 in tavernas, rather than spending an hour finding a port police office, then standing in queues, and sometimes paying a taxi, all in order to pay €8 in one office, then €0.88 in a tax office, which is often closed. Greece is the only EU country which puts leisure sailors to this daily inconvenience. Recommendation: The large majority of our correspondents tell us that if the monthly/yearly tax replaced the current port police reporting routines, they would accept the new tax as a great improvement in the total Greek cruising experiences. This should also release Port Police and give them more time to monitor collection of the new tax.

This proposal has been taken seriously by the Ministry. We don't yet know how far this will lead.

It's interesting to note that boats around 12m LOA, under the past regime, should have been paying €8 a day to anchor or moor or go alongside in Greek waters. For a 120 day season, that's €960.

So all the noisy complaints, by one interpretation, are because Greece has found a more efficient means of collecting a tax that has always been due.

Here's hoping this is a point of view shared by the ministry!

jckb 21-02-2014 08:44

Re: Greek Tax! - MERGED 4 THREADS
 
CA site updated to reflect answers received from the Greek Ministry of Maritime Affairs and Aegean.

New Greek Cruising Tax | CA

JimB

hoppy 21-02-2014 08:59

Re: Greek Tax! - MERGED 4 THREADS
 
Sounds like my bill will be €854 unless I decide to leave. I want my yacht available more than 7 months per year.

MacG 21-02-2014 09:20

Re: Greek Tax! - MERGED 4 THREADS
 
Going back to the 15th century - the difference is that the governments are the pirates now.

That I have to pay for inland waters with the high rate of mainatinance of locks etc. is quite understandable.

That you have to pay for using 'Mare Librum' with no added values is pure piracy.

It is a stupid measurement, made by a desperate government. It will cost them, because it is no real tax but more a punishment for entering Greek waters.

athene 21-02-2014 09:42

Re: Greek Tax! - MERGED 4 THREADS
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jckb (Post 1473517)
CA site updated to reflect answers received from the Greek Ministry of Maritime Affairs and Aegean.

New Greek Cruising Tax | CA

JimB

Jim, thanks for all the hard work you and the CA have been doing to help the Greek ministry knock this new cruising tax into sensible shape. It will probably, as Alenka opines, eventually have a beneficial result in ending the charade of port police reporting and payment and clearing many of the smaller quays and harbours of the long-term freeloaders.

Not everyone will be happy, of course, especially the numerous unofficial 'gardiennage' freelances who look after the freeloaders' yachts for cash. Maybe even some of the outlying port police offices, where pouncing on visiting yachts is the only distraction from the bi-weekly ferries, may feel a little threatened.

My only hope - but probably a futile one - is that some of the revenues raised find their way back to the quays and harbours for much-needed improvements, rather than every cent going to plug the Greek fiscal black hole.

Palarran 21-02-2014 11:12

Re: Greek Tax! - MERGED 4 THREADS
 
Jim,
Do you know if this tax is in addition to the current transit log tax of 15 euro/meter/3months?

Also, I cut this from your site:
If the boat spends more than 11 months a year in Greek territory, (afloat or ashore) it pays 30% less than the full rate. That is the same as paying for 7 separate months (€868 for 12.4m) but more convenient and flexible. This may be a suitable option for full time live-aboards

Does this mean that I can go to Turkey for two weeks and still be considered permanent to Greece and get the 30% reduction? Normally I would have to surrender my Transit Log upon leaving Greece and then re-apply for one on re-entry. How will this work now?

My boat is normally on the hard for 9 months per year, how will this be handled? If the tax isn't charged when on the hard, maybe it would be best to pay by the month?

Thanks for your work.
David.

Barra 21-02-2014 17:14

Re: Greek Tax! - MERGED 4 THREADS
 
"This tax applies to non-EU boats, and the intention is to abolish the tax presently paid after 3 months"

Im not sure what this means Jim - can you elaborate at all? ie is this saying for the first 3 months of this year transit log taxes remain in place so non eu boats get to pay this and then the cruising tax as well to start the year? (transit log tax doesnt care that im on the hard)

thanks for all the hard work!

goboatingnow 22-02-2014 04:07

Re: Greek Tax! - MERGED 4 THREADS
 
I wonder will this tax get challenged by Brussels as it inhibits the free movement of EU goods already in free circulation.

Spain got a belt of the crozier as did Ireland ( in relation to its 30-40% tax on cars )

Remains to be seen

Dave

David_Old_Jersey 22-02-2014 04:14

Re: Greek Tax! - MERGED 4 THREADS
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by goboatingnow (Post 1474174)
I wonder will this tax get challenged by Brussels as it inhibits the free movement of EU goods already in free circulation.

Spain got a belt of the crozier as did Ireland ( in relation to its 30-40% tax on cars )

Remains to be seen

Dave

My broad understanding is the an EU country can only apply rules onto other EU citizens if they also apply to own citizens.

For the non-EU folks can do WTF yer like to them :D.

I originally read this as not so much about collecting this new tax, but a way of documenting what boats (and who owned by) are endlessly cruising in Greece so that the tax authorities can have a long hard look at the ownership to discover those boats actually owned by greek residents (both greek citizens and foreigners who have stayed so long they should be tax residents).........time will tell I guess.

jckb 22-02-2014 04:16

Re: Greek Tax! - MERGED 4 THREADS
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Barra (Post 1473860)
"This tax applies to non-EU boats, and the intention is to abolish the tax presently paid after 3 months"

Good point, that's ambiguous! I'll correct it on the CA site.

Better would be:

"This tax will apply both to EU boats, and to non-EU boats. It is the intention of the [Ministry] to abolish the cruising tax presently paid 3 monthly by non-EU craft"

The Ministry says "intention" because the exact wording of the new MD (leisure craft law's implementation covering these matters) is still under discussion. I'll have to wait for the draft law wording to answer the point about transit logs (next quote) definitively - but I'l look out for the point. Thanks for bringing it up, Palarran.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palarran
Does this mean that I can go to Turkey for two weeks and still be considered permanent to Greece and get the 30% reduction? Normally I would have to surrender my Transit Log upon leaving Greece and then re-apply for one on re-entry. How will this work now?

I read the reply about non-EU craft as meaning that the idea is that EU and non-EU boats will be treated identically.

The 11 month rule for boat residence was part of a 2004 ruling allowing discounts for resident boats (MD 3342/04/04 if you really want to know!) which is currently still in force. So as things stand you could go to Turkey for 4 weeks without jeapardising your boat's "residence".

Small Greek commercial leisure boats which ply back and forth between Turkey and Greece miss out on this old ruling. So we've joined with them to ask for the 30% discount to be apply to all >12m boats which pay up front for the year. "We will take your suggestion into consideration [when the MD will be revised]" was the reply.

JimB

jckb 22-02-2014 04:23

Re: Greek Tax! - MERGED 4 THREADS
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Palarran (Post 1473583)
My boat is normally on the hard for 9 months per year, how will this be handled? If the tax isn't charged when on the hard, maybe it would be best to pay by the month?

Once/if it's clear you won't need to have a transit log - Pay by the month! Your costs will drop radically.

JimB

jckb 22-02-2014 04:31

Re: Greek Tax! - MERGED 4 THREADS
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacG (Post 1473532)
That you have to pay for using 'Mare Librum' with no added values is pure piracy.

It is a stupid measurement, made by a desperate government. It will cost them, because it is no real tax but more a punishment for entering Greek waters.

To be pedantic, there is no charge for transiting Mare Librum. The Greek Ministry has made clear that UNCLOS lll , the right of innocent passage, will be respected.

The charge only kicks in if you anchor, moor or dock, when "a strict interpretion of innocent passage" will be applied, according to the ministry.

JimB

jckb 22-02-2014 04:52

Re: Greek Tax! - MERGED 4 THREADS
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by goboatingnow (Post 1474174)
I wonder will this tax get challenged by Brussels as it inhibits the free movement of EU goods already in free circulation.

We looked into that. "Means of Transport" (MoT) within EU (boats, planes and cars etc) have special rules governing how circulation taxes may be paid, and when they must be paid locally, as apart from home country.

Broadly, your MoT may have free circulation within another EU country for up to a maximum of 180 days, or as long as its home country circulation taxes are paid and valid if that's an earlier date. After that, your MoT must be declared to local authorities, who will require temporary import. This will involve meeting all the local country's regulations. See Time Abroad | JimB Sail ; "Within EU" section, third para "Your boat's residence"

Two snags. Many EU boat don't pay local circulation taxes, so they're not up to date with payments! Second, do you really want to go through temporary import procedures whenever you wish to base your boat in another country for over 180 days? Greece allows any length of residence to other EU boats.

So, be careful what you wish about "Free movement within the EU". Think of those boats in Spain which got hit with "pollution taxes" of about 20% of the boat's value for not declaring boat import . . .

JimB

MacG 22-02-2014 05:52

Re: Greek Tax! - MERGED 4 THREADS
 
Here is no snag at all but simple things: In some EU countries (SOME) you pay for using inland waterways. F.e. France, UK and Belgium. In Holland (yet) no taxes at all. Except here and there a lock and/or bridge (Friesland). But no general taxation.
In Belgium you have to buy a vignet, same for France (inland waterways only) and they are flexible varying from 1 month to one year. And quite reasonable.

The phrase "they are not up with payments" looks like wrong and misleading ......


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 16:26.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.