Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Europe & Mediterranean (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Greek Tax! - MERGED 4 THREADS (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f17/greek-tax-merged-4-threads-115410.html)

Alenka 24-02-2014 06:07

Re: Greek Tax! - MERGED 4 THREADS
 
This just in (24.2.14) from my Greek connection who is lobbying on behalf of charter companies.

"The last update we had from the Minister himself is that this new tax has nothing to do with the port fees and there isn't any thought of this tax replacing port fees or any other charges. The only thought from the Ministry is to make port fees fixed for all Greek territory but not now. The Ministry's priority is this new law and as I wrote in previous emails this new law was submitted to the Parliament and will be discussed broadly with all political parties before it will be voted. Let's see if any changes will come up after these discussions".

Politics!

Captain Ludd 24-02-2014 07:12

Re: Greek Tax! - MERGED 4 THREADS
 
So can I ask for an update on the VAT situation, I have seen a boat for sale in Greece but it is not Vat paid.
What can I do ?

Alenka 24-02-2014 07:21

Re: Greek Tax! - MERGED 4 THREADS
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Ludd (Post 1475922)
So can I ask for an update on the VAT situation, I have seen a boat for sale in Greece but it is not Vat paid.
What can I do ?

I tried to buy a boat in Greece (VAT not paid) last year. Even with the help of a Greek marine lawyer I gave up. The Greeks do not want to collect VAT on a British registered boat even if it is going to stay in Greece. Putting it on the Greek register is more trouble than it is worth unless you reside in Greece.

A few years ago any yacht that was above a certain size was classed as a charter boat, even if it was privatey owned VAT was never collected. Many of those boats are now coming onto the market and present something of a headache to would be purchasers.

You will notice a number of British brokers with offices in Greece will not handle VAT unpaid boats.

I started a thread on this last year.

Captain Ludd 24-02-2014 07:24

Re: Greek Tax! - MERGED 4 THREADS
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alenka (Post 1475929)
I tried to buy a boat in Greece (VAT not paid) last year. Even with the help of a Greek marine lawyer I gave up. The Greeks do not want to collect VAT on a British registered boat even if it is going to stay in Greece. Putting it on the Greek register is more trouble than it is worth unless you reside in Greece.

A few years ago any yacht that was above a certain size was classed as a charter boat, even if it was privatey owned VAT was never collected. Many of those boats are now coming onto the market and present something of a headache to would be purchasers.

You will notice a number of British brokers with offices in Greece will not handle VAT unpaid boats.

I started a thread on this last year.

I saw it was old and have to admit I got a headache plowing through it :)
I guess it may help someone getting an update/sharing ideas etc.
So if I decided to go for one of these Greek boats could I not just sail it away back to blighty and sort it out here ?

MacG 24-02-2014 08:00

Re: Greek Tax! - MERGED 4 THREADS
 
I don't understand this post of Alenka. Take the boat away and register it wherever you like. Why registration in Greece ? Register the boat in your own country, simply the best.

Alenka 24-02-2014 13:33

Re: Greek Tax! - MERGED 4 THREADS
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacG (Post 1475954)
I don't understand this post of Alenka. Take the boat away and register it wherever you like. Why registration in Greece ? Register the boat in your own country, simply the best.

In short, I tried to buy a boat already on the British register in Greece. Tax had not been paid and therefore needed to be paid to stay legal. The Greeks would not accept the VAT payment because the boat was on the British register. The Brits did not want the VAT either because the sales transaction and boat were in Greece!

Perhaps I should add I also wanted to keep the boat in Greece.

Barra 20-03-2014 18:53

Re: Greek Tax! - MERGED 4 THREADS
 
Has anyone any first hand experience of how / if this new tax is being implemented yet?

I am 2 weeks away from returning to my boat and bit worried im in the firing line to be one of the first guinea pigs....

Nostrodamus 20-03-2014 23:34

Re: Greek Tax! - MERGED 4 THREADS
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Barra (Post 1497869)
Has anyone any first hand experience of how / if this new tax is being implemented yet?

I am 2 weeks away from returning to my boat and bit worried im in the firing line to be one of the first guinea pigs....

I was speaking to someone last night who is based in Gouvia over winter. He still has no idea what is going on or even the final workings of the scheme.
It seems silly but as I read it at the moment I as a 13.5m boat could go there for 3 months paying monthly and pay the same price as a much smaller boat that would have to pay it all at once.. It does not make sense.

There is nothing in place at the moment to collect the money and there was no talk of any fines being imposed in the first year. There is also talk of it not being implemented until next year as the plan is so far behind.

Everything is still up in the air and no one still seems to know anything.

So, in answer to your question I have no idea.

Alenka 21-03-2014 01:56

Re: Greek Tax! - MERGED 4 THREADS
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Barra (Post 1497869)
Has anyone any first hand experience of how / if this new tax is being implemented yet?

I am 2 weeks away from returning to my boat and bit worried im in the firing line to be one of the first guinea pigs....


I seem to remember that you are in Preveza? Perhaps at Cleopatra?? I am just hoping that they are up to their usual efficiency and will guide us through the process - If it comes to it.

Good Luck! And keep us all posted!!

Barra 21-03-2014 02:04

Re: Greek Tax! - MERGED 4 THREADS
 
Yes I will certainly update you all on my experience but I am hoping to be fore armed with as much info as possible. As a non EU flag boat there is also the small matter of the transit log and how that all fits in with the cruising tax. Would hate to pay that(which has applied while I've been on the hard) and then get hit with the cruising tax as well once I'm in the water. At one stage one tax was meant to replace the other now who knows what will happen!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Alenka 21-03-2014 02:16

Re: Greek Tax! - MERGED 4 THREADS
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Barra (Post 1498050)
Yes I will certainly update you all on my experience but I am hoping to be fore armed with as much info as possible. As a non EU flag boat there is also the small matter of the transit log and how that all fits in with the cruising tax. Would hate to pay that(which has applied while I've been on the hard) and then get hit with the cruising tax as well once I'm in the water. At one stage one tax was meant to replace the other now who knows what will happen!

Whilst it seems the UK cruising Association is being led to believe there will be an reform of the other taxes, others are being given a different story saying that there will be no change. Guess we will all have to way and see.

On a good note, I hear the weather is already pretty good in the Ionian!

athene 21-03-2014 02:45

Re: Greek Tax! - MERGED 4 THREADS
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Barra (Post 1497869)
Has anyone any first hand experience of how / if this new tax is being implemented yet?

I am 2 weeks away from returning to my boat and bit worried im in the firing line to be one of the first guinea pigs....

Just consider yourself lucky you don't keep your boat in Peru. They eat them there ...

Barra 21-03-2014 03:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alenka (Post 1498055)

Whilst it seems the UK cruising Association is being led to believe there will be an reform of the other taxes, others are being given a different story saying that there will be no change. Guess we will all have to way and see.

On a good note, I hear the weather is already pretty good in the Ionian!

Good news on the weather just hope i get to enjoy it as if they try and hit me with both taxes ill wind up in a greek prison for assualting the attempted tax collector!

yeloya 21-03-2014 05:03

Re: Greek Tax! - MERGED 4 THREADS
 
There was an article on turkish paper stating that this tax has been postponed indefinately. Couple of friends went to Rhodes , they said there is neither any tax nor a fine, everything as usual so far..They've also talked to some authorities there and they said that at least for 2014 this law won't be applied.
Nevertheless, this is Greece, you never know..
Cheers
Yeloya

hoppy 21-03-2014 05:08

Re: Greek Tax! - MERGED 4 THREADS
 
I'm going to Corfu at Easter. I will do/say/ask nothing different to what I would if I was totally ignorant about the tax.

If they decide to collect it, I will be prepared and if not, then I will wait until another day 😃


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 21:43.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.