Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Provisioning: Food & Drink (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f91/)
-   -   Sea Water Cooking (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f91/sea-water-cooking-114587.html)

CaribbeanCraig 01-11-2013 21:55

Sea Water Cooking

1 Attachment(s)
Do any of you Salty peeps have any recipes using seawater for baking or boiling ? I thought this would make for some interesting chat . :popcorn:

monstads 01-11-2013 22:54

Eyyyyyaaaiiuuurccch!! Get that abomination away from the perfectly scrumptious crustacean!! That bug shouldn't need to be exposed to such horrors!

Steve Bean 01-11-2013 23:24

Re: Sea Water Cooking

For boiling pasta I've used about 20% sea water and 80% fresh.

NornaBiron 01-11-2013 23:28

The water is way too salty for cooking here in the Med.

bobconnie 01-11-2013 23:34

:thumb:Good clean salt water is all we use for crabs,shrimp,lobster, also use it for steam for cooking calms and oysters even sometimes ! We also use 1/4 salt water 3/4 fresh for pasta and have used the same with rice, works ok if it's REALLY CLEAN salt water. Now with a water maker we don't have to anymore, but like useing salt water just because we once had to! and learned to like useing it ! Just an old guys dumb ideas!:)

Pete7 02-11-2013 01:28

A little saga I wrote a while back. Whether you can still get the ingrediants or not I don't know, but I do remember the fresh bread after 5 days at sea :thumb:

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...oaf-52619.html

Pete

CaribbeanCraig 02-11-2013 07:51

I have heard that you can take packaged shrimp and cook it in diluted seawater and give it a more wild caught taste ...but haven't tried yet. Gulf Shrimp is still the best .

Pete7 ..That Bread Mix seems interesting .

robert sailor 02-11-2013 08:23

If you have a pot with a basket in it you can steam stuff in it using salt water.

Cavalier MK2 02-11-2013 08:33

We do the oyster thing and leave any barnacles on the shell to add to the brine. Very tasty.....

CaribbeanCraig 02-11-2013 08:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by monstads (Post 1380482)
Eyyyyyaaaiiuuurccch!! Get that abomination away from the perfectly scrumptious crustacean!! That bug shouldn't need to be exposed to such horrors!

HAHA ! Yes that horrible excuse for a liquid should be nowhere near such deliciousness . We dove and caught that spiney on the west side of Puerto Rico .. one of my fav places on Earth.

belizesailor 02-11-2013 10:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Bean (Post 1380495)
For boiling pasta I've used about 20% sea water and 80% fresh.

I've done this too, a mix will work for anything you would normally salt, but straight unmixed sea water is way too intense to be useful except maybe as a brine wash...before smoking fish for example (not tested).

One thing not to do: never use sea water in any concentration to make coffee. I tried that one desperate morning when out of drinking water...way nasty.

Nicholson58 02-11-2013 10:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaribbeanCraig (Post 1380684)
HAHA ! Yes that horrible excuse for a liquid should be nowhere near such deliciousness . We dove and caught that spiney on the west side of Puerto Rico .. one of my fav places on Earth.

What's the problem? Its just bottled water.

CaribbeanCraig 02-11-2013 10:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by belizesailor (Post 1380801)
I've done this too, a mix will work for anything you would normally salt, but straight unmixed sea water is way too intense to be useful except maybe as a brine wash...before smoking fish for example (not tested).

One thing not to do: never use sea water in any concentration to make coffee. I tried that one desperate morning when out of drinking water...way nasty.

Wait ..You just gave me an idea on how to strain some seawater making a little cleaner . Mr Coffee meet the Spine Brine..ha..:p

Stu Jackson 02-11-2013 11:15

On a related but separate note, do many of you use seawater to wash dishes before a final rinse with fresh?

solarbri 02-11-2013 11:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu Jackson (Post 1380834)
On a related but separate note, do many of you use seawater to wash dishes before a final rinse with fresh?

I wash everything in Salt water. Only stainless items then get a small fresh water rinse. I try to use plastic everything though. Last year I got rid of all of our rusty "stainless" forks, knives, spoons. Now we have sweet, multicolored polycarbonate sporks (or sporkife’s - cause there's a knife on the side of the fork).
I cook pasta with a mix no more than 1/2 & 1/2.
I also have a separate, but related question...How about using cast iron on board? All the frying pans I've tried suck. At home I use cast iron and it works great most of the time. Does it become a rusty mess on board?