Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Provisioning: Food & Drink (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f91/)
-   -   Mustard on a Boat (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f91/mustard-on-a-boat-11149.html)

Québec 1 20-12-2008 16:35

In Canada we use Keen's dry mustard in a can:

For over 250 years, Keen's has provided premium quality Dry Mustard to discerning customers around the world. The brand was first manufactured and sold in 1742 by Messers Keen and Sons in the Garlick Hill section of London, England. Keen's quickly established itself as a superior mustard, winning prestigious medals in London, Paris, Moscow, Australia and Philadelphia while also obtaining royal warrants to William 1V, Queen Victoria and Napoleon III. Today the tradition continues. Keen's Dry Mustard is manufactured by Colman's of Norwich by appointment to Queen Elizabeth II, and remains the "genuine double superfine" grade. Insist on the very best. Use Keen's Dry Mustard.
Q1

Maren 21-12-2008 16:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Québec 1 (Post 235322)
In Canada we use Keen's dry mustard in a can:

For over 250 years, Keen's has provided premium quality Dry Mustard to discerning customers around the world. The brand was first manufactured and sold in 1742 by Messers Keen and Sons in the Garlick Hill section of London, England. Keen's quickly established itself as a superior mustard, winning prestigious medals in London, Paris, Moscow, Australia and Philadelphia while also obtaining royal warrants to William 1V, Queen Victoria and Napoleon III. Today the tradition continues. Keen's Dry Mustard is manufactured by Colman's of Norwich by appointment to Queen Elizabeth II, and remains the "genuine double superfine" grade. Insist on the very best. Use Keen's Dry Mustard.
Q1

That sounds straight up like an advert. ::devil:

Tom and Maje 08-06-2009 05:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by db8us (Post 113161)
Maille Dijon-Senf

Yes! All types.

drew.ward 08-06-2009 19:46

In the US the various mustards from Louisiana are generally the best, but for overall ease of use and taste, the German Senf in the metal tubes great!

sparty 08-06-2009 20:29

Final Answer, Woeber's Jalapeno Mustard. "Since 1905"

cosmosmariner 08-06-2009 20:36

Boar's Head Mustard, in plastic squeeze bottles. Horse Radish, Deli Style and Jalapeno are very good.

captain58sailin 08-06-2009 20:38

I think, I'll go have a snack.

Tom and Maje 08-06-2009 23:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by drew.ward (Post 290841)
In the US the various mustards from Louisiana are generally the best, but for overall ease of use and taste, the German Senf in the metal tubes great!

We live in Germany and although I agree that German mustard is very good it doesn't have a chance against Maille's mustards. It is very easy all over Europe to find everything from anchovie paste to tomato paste in easy to pack tubes.

Maje

mesquaukee 09-06-2009 13:33

New uses for mustard on a cruising boat.
A boat we were travelling with blew out the seals on the freshwater cooling pump on the old perkins engine. A few minutes later we were on our way again. He told me he had dumped a dime jar of mustard into the header tank. Later during cocktail hour I asked him what brand of stop leak he had used, he kept talking about mustard.
He, being an old time mechanic, had actually poured a cup of mustard into the cooling system. It works! It plugs the leak in a few minutes and lasts as long as you keep the engine running. As soon as the engine cools down and is then retarted it will leak again so another jar of mustard is required.
One small problem is your engine room starts smelling like hot dogs.
He suggested to me that perhaps for a mercedes engine or the like you may require Grey Poupon. Might be hard to get if you like banging around in those out of the way places.

Talbot 10-06-2009 01:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by mesquaukee (Post 291185)
New uses for mustard on a cruising boat.
A boat we were travelling with blew out the seals on the freshwater cooling pump on the old perkins engine. A few minutes later we were on our way again. He told me he had dumped a dime jar of mustard into the header tank. .

You can achieve the same thing by just breaking an egg into the radiator, as it boils, the bits fill up the holes and keeps the system working for a lot longer, without the drawbacks of a chemical stop leak product.