Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Anchoring & Mooring (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f118/)
-   -   More chain than there is room for (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f118/more-chain-than-there-is-room-for-111350.html)

Tayana42 13-09-2013 17:12

More chain than there is room for

2 Attachment(s)
I own a 1989 Tayana V42 aft cockpit (happily since 2000). In preparing for an up coming Mexico cruise I bought 300 ft of 3/8 g chain and a 44 lb Lewmar Delta anchor. I am happy with both but not happy with the chain piling up in the chain locker. I am considering removing the divider in the chain locker to make more room for one chain. I will keep my second anchor and rode stored elsewhere. My questions are 1) will removing the divider more easily accommodate the chain and 2) will the windless mounted in the anchor well need to be reinforced? Thanks for your experience and advice.
Michael

Dhillen 13-09-2013 18:41

Re: More chain than there is room for

To me the answer would appear to be "yes," you would need to reinforce the windlass support once that support wall which looks to be a bearing wall is removed.

Since your chain feed will still be only on the side of the locker will removal of that wall (and the work it entails to re-support the windlass) be worth it? The chain will still stack up in castles and fall over with the wall gone. Once these castles topple the chain can get caught and that requires you, or someone, going down below to untangle it when you drop the hook.

How often will you be using all 300 feet? Answer: not much but it is real nice to have. I would suggest on the few occasions you use all this chain have someone below spread the chain around before tall chain castles build up as you bring the anchor in. As a former singlehander I see you could also do this yourself when you bring up the hook. Again, it won't likely be needed every time, just the few times when you use most of that 300 feet.

Conclusion: don't do it.

Good luck.

Dhillen

Tayana42 23-09-2013 16:57

I was able to get a definitive answer from the manufacturer Ta Yang Shipyard in Taiwan, RC. Their representative , Wilson, was most helpful even though I am the third or fourth owner of this 1989 Tayana 42. I am really impressed with the quality of my boat and with the service from the manufacturer.

On Sep 23, 2013, at 12:23 AM, "tayana" <tayangco@ms15.hinet.net> wrote:

Hi Michael,

Regarding divider, it is not part of the chain locker structure. It was
built for owner's special purpose, someone would like to halve it or
1/3+2/3, but someone prefer to keep the original without divider. You can
move it and no need to build other support for windlass in the anchor
locker. ( it is not to be a support for this ). I am not sure if removing
the divider can solve problem, but I think to remove it can get a bigger
space and probably increase the vertical distance of the chain top to locker
top to have enough gravity to pull the chain down into the locker smoothly.
Also, suggest to inspect the current conditions of chain pipe and its angle.

B.rgds
Wilson

bene505 23-09-2013 17:17

Some thoughts... watch the angle that the chain will be pulled into the hawspipe, or the next link to approach it may catch on the edge of it. You could use a hawspipe that doesn't stick down far into the locker as much, or file it dow in the direction of the far corner of the locker. Or you could also angle the hawspipe toward the center of the storage area.

Either that, or put a small divider to separate-out the far corner (portside aft corner of the anchor locker). But first, I'd test to see if any of this is even needed.

Regards,
Brad

Dhillen 23-09-2013 17:28

Interesting and it is always good to see a manufacturer care about a product they no longer make.

Cheers.

Dhillen

roverhi 23-09-2013 18:03

I'd move the windlass out of the anchor locker and, better yet, do away with the anchor locker altogether. Burying a windlass in that perpetually wet dark hole is just begging for trouble from corrosion. These lockers were typically designed to stow a too small Danforth Pattern anchor and a too short rope rode for clueless cruiser wannabe's. Not my idea of a proper primary anchor or rode which makes the lockers virtually useless. Cut the locker away, glass the deck over with 3/4" plywood core and epoxy/glass skin and remount the windlass on this on the deck. No more problems with a too shallow chain locker or a prematurely corroded windlass.

From experience. feel a 45# plow type anchor is about the right size for 20,000# displacement mono hull. Might think about upsizing the anchor if your boat displaces much more than that.

sailorboy1 24-09-2013 05:41

I bet you rarely ever use more than about 150' of the chain and if you remove the divider and stack the first 150' of chain over on the port side of the locker you will be fine.

I have 350' of chain and it just drops into the my well that is accessible from the deck. I have to knock it down and push it around with a pole as I bring it up (not a big deal really).

I do think you have too small an anchor

redsky49 24-09-2013 06:57

You clearly will have issues with the current arrangement as the chain stack is seriously close to the underside of the above structure.

My first thought would be to relocate the vertical divider to the port side so that the revised chain storage area is roughly centered beneath the hawse hole. Use the remaining (1/3?) of the locker for storage. Hopefully that would allow the chain to stack in a shallower pile. Is the current divider bonded to the boat structure or is it slid in to the slot in the pic?

I would also clear the ropes from the upper anchor locker to avoid any problems.

Having used a manual windlass in the past, you will get a good workout cranking in all that chain :thumb:

Tayana42 24-09-2013 07:12

Thanks everyone for the thoughtful responses. Some good ideas and opinions there. I am going to remove the divider which is bonded in with glass tape, grind it out smooth, then try it out that way before thinking about reinstalling a divider separating a smaller section. I will also be installing a 4" stainless steel deck plate next to the windlass so I can knock down the chain when it castles up. I'll let you know how it works out. Michael

NahanniV 24-09-2013 07:12

A simple fix would be to drill a 2-3" hole in the divider and pull about half the chain to the other side.

I think if you put the hole about 1/2 way up the divider the chain would probably have a good enough lead to pull out without any help. But on the rare occasions when you deploy more than half the chain, someone would have to pull the first half to the other side of the divider as you weigh anchor.

Dockhead 24-09-2013 07:18

Why don't you just flake the first 100 feet or so of the chain in the other half of the locker, drape it over the divider, then flake as usual? If you rarely use that part of the chain, you will hardly notice.

I am grateful to the designer of my boat for a jumbo anchor locker (he didn't do enough deck storage, IMHO, but the anchor locker is good). It is divided like yours is. I keep 100 meters of 1/2" high test on the port side. There is plenty of space for it (weight, not volume, is what I worry about -- that's already 330 kilos or more than 700 pounds :eek:). As I raise anchor, I stand on the divider with my body sticking out of the locker, and flake the chain with my foot so it settles evenly and doesn't pile up into a cone. Thus flaked, it pays out with no problem when I putting the rode out.

On the starboard side, I keep a jumbo Fortress anchor (which is my backup/kedge) with 10 meters of chain and 300 feet of nylon rode. Plus, my collection of snubbers, and while underway I can get almost all my fenders and dock lines in there on top of the ground tackle.

The only thing better than this is the arrangement on the Sundeers where the chain locker is midships, led through a naval pipe. Now that's cool!

Jim Cate 24-09-2013 07:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by roverhi (Post 1347986)
I'd move the windlass out of the anchor locker and, better yet, do away with the anchor locker altogether. Burying a windlass in that perpetually wet dark hole is just begging for trouble from corrosion. These lockers were typically designed to stow a too small Danforth Pattern anchor and a too short rope rode for clueless cruiser wannabe's. Not my idea of a proper primary anchor or rode which makes the lockers virtually useless. Cut the locker away, glass the deck over with 3/4" plywood core and epoxy/glass skin and remount the windlass on this on the deck. No more problems with a too shallow chain locker or a prematurely corroded windlass.

From experience. feel a 45# plow type anchor is about the right size for 20,000# displacement mono hull. Might think about upsizing the anchor if your boat displaces much more than that.

This is lots more work, but is a very good idea IMO.

Cheers,

Jim

redsky49 24-09-2013 11:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Cate (Post 1348321)
This is lots more work, but is a very good idea IMO.

Cheers,

Jim

"Cut the locker away, glass the deck over with 3/4" plywood core and epoxy/glass skin and remount the windlass on this on the deck. No more problems with a too shallow chain locker or a prematurely corroded windlass."

Actually, this is what I did with my Bristol 41.1. The increased locker depth means my chain has castles that have never been an issue. Bit of work though...

Jim Cate 24-09-2013 12:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by redsky49 (Post 1348576)
"Cut the locker away, glass the deck over with 3/4" plywood core and epoxy/glass skin and remount the windlass on this on the deck. No more problems with a too shallow chain locker or a prematurely corroded windlass."

Actually, this is what I did with my Bristol 41.1. The increased locker depth means my chain has castles that have never been an issue. Bit of work though...

Raising the windlass out of the locker also improves the amount of "wrap" of the chain around the gypsy... another advantage of this approach.

Jim

Tayana42 24-09-2013 15:44

Redsky and Jim thanks for the good input and I am sure you are right but I'll take the step of removing the divider first and then see if I need to do more major surgery.

Michael