Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   General Sailing Forum (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   Transit Time? NY-FL (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f2/transit-time-ny-fl-111080.html)

Alecadi 09-11-2013 05:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoobert (Post 1386455)
about to check the weather, monday at latest, today at soonest. when i looked last week, this week looked nice.

Are you ready? Is the crew ready?
Is the boat ready?

scoobert 09-11-2013 05:13

Re: Transit time? NY-FL

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alecadi (Post 1386465)
Are you ready? Is the crew ready?
Is the boat ready?

yes. down to my last few projects.

Alecadi 09-11-2013 05:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoobert (Post 1386467)
yes. down to my last few projects.

Godspeed.
Please let us know about your progress.
We are all so worried about you.

georgec 09-11-2013 05:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoobert (Post 1386455)
about to check the weather, monday at latest, today at soonest. when i looked last week, this week looked nice.

You better leave today and get as far south as you can. A low pressure is supposed to develop and come up the coast. Right now it is predicted for Wednesday / Thursday and somewhat off shore.

scoobert 09-11-2013 06:08

do i really need to be out in 25KT winds?

pbiJim 09-11-2013 06:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoobert (Post 1386489)
do i really need to be out in 25KT winds?

Do you need to be...that depends on your schedule.
Should you be...that depends on your location, crew & equipment.

scoobert 09-11-2013 06:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbiJim (Post 1386498)
Do you need to be...that depends on your schedule.
Should you be...that depends on your location, crew & equipment.

i would like to get to a climate that is about 40 degrees at night. after that i dont care.

annsni 09-11-2013 06:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoobert (Post 1386456)

I am not able to read the book.

scoobert 10-11-2013 02:42

We leave today, we are planning 35 miles a day until we meet up with our Canadian friends. should be a nice little ride. The forecast is a bit.... mild.
when we hit the ocean we may have less the 5 knot winds.... at least it will be smooth.

Jimbo485 10-11-2013 05:18

Good luck, Scoob!!!!
Have fun and learn heaps!
Try to stay alive as well...!

noelex 77 10-11-2013 05:34

I have no knowledge of the trip you are undertaking, but be careful planning for very light winds
Trying to sail in very light winds especially if there is any left over swell is some of the most unpleasant conditions to try and a make a passage in.

In your sort of boat ideal sailing conditions are 20-25 knots downwind and 15 knots into wind. Deduct 5 knots perhaps because your experience level is low and the boat is in need of gentle conditions for a shakedown, but be careful aiming too low.

Of course often conditions will not be ideal even when they are forecast to be so, but very light wind can be very unpleasant and is not what you should be aiming for, unless you intend to motor.

Good luck

Don1500 10-11-2013 06:41

Remember, weather forecasters lie.

BigBoater917 10-11-2013 07:03

You're leaving today from NY? Where they have a gale warning up for this afternoon? Every time I see a news clip or blog post about a sailor in trouble I presume it's you and come check this thread to see if I'm right or not.

carstenb 10-11-2013 07:05

Weather forecast I get over here says that along the Jersey coast, you would expect 20-25 knots winds the next few days, then calming down.

Good luck

Vasco 10-11-2013 07:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by carstenb (Post 1387134)
Weather forecast I get over here says that along the Jersey coast, you would expect 20-25 knots winds the next few days, then calming down.

Good luck

Yeah I had a report just like that once. Unfortunately a low developed south of Hatteras after I cleared Sandy Hook and I had the ride of my life. NE 25, diminishing. They got the diminishing part wrong.

BigBoater917 10-11-2013 07:16

Quote:

TODAY
W WINDS 20 TO 25 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 30 KT... INCREASING TO 25 TO 30 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 40 KT LATE THIS MORNING AND AFTERNOON.
SEAS 4 TO 6 FT.
MAINLY IN SW SWELL WITH A DOMINANT PERIOD OF 6 SECONDS
That's what NOAA has up right now. If you stay close to the coast it should be better.

Alecadi 10-11-2013 07:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoobert (Post 1387029)
We leave today, we are planning 35 miles a day until we meet up with our Canadian friends. should be a nice little ride. The forecast is a bit.... mild. when we hit the ocean we may have less the 5 knot winds.... at least it will be smooth.

Godspeed.

cheoah 10-11-2013 07:28

Sometimes all it takes is going to an anchorage around the corner. That might be the thing to do if near gale conditions are forecasted. Just to say that leaving is a state of mind, and your forecast is pretty marginal for starting out.

Me? I'd reassess Tuesday with tomorrow's forecast, but mid-week looking good. Sandy Hook to Cape May today/tonight is a no-go for someone starting off their first real voyage. I don't really know where you are but surmise somewhere in there?

Best of luck, I think many are cheering for you and hoping for some entertainment - sans carnage.

fjwiley1 10-11-2013 07:57

Scoobert....as Georgec stated, look out for our weather coming towards you later this week. I was listening to NOAA as they forecast some serious Nor'easter this week.

Enjoy your journey......:)

Seagull111 10-11-2013 08:15

Scoop, like Cheoah said. Some of my most experienced cruising friends just need to throw off the dock lines and head out maybe if only to go 5 or 6 miles to an anchorage to get out and get their head in passage mode. Fair winds.

WebWench 10-11-2013 08:16

Folks, remember that he is all the way up the Hudson River near Albany....at 35 miles per,day it will take him a few days before he even gets near the ocean!

Paul Elliott 10-11-2013 08:41

Scoobert, have a safe and fun trip!

I just looked at your blog, and the battery install. Do you have a way to secure that battery? It should have a strap, or bracket, or the battery box should have a heavy-duty locking lid. Think "upside down". Even a "spreaders in the water" event can cause plenty of havoc. A loose battery is about the worst kind of battering ram, with acid, too, and of course if it comes free there go your electronics.

cheoah 10-11-2013 09:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by WebWench (Post 1387177)
Folks, remember that he is all the way up the Hudson River near Albany....at 35 miles per,day it will take him a few days before he even gets near the ocean!

That should work well for him.

RedFeather 10-11-2013 09:27

Good luck, Scoobert!

Safe journey!

scoobert 10-11-2013 10:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Elliott (Post 1387196)
Scoobert, have a safe and fun trip!

I just looked at your blog, and the battery install. Do you have a way to secure that battery? It should have a strap, or bracket, or the battery box should have a heavy-duty locking lid. Think "upside down". Even a "spreaders in the water" event can cause plenty of havoc. A loose battery is about the worst kind of battering ram, with acid, too, and of course if it comes free there go your electronics.

If we go inverted, it will be a mess. Short of inverted, its fine.

We are getting down to kingston, after a 90 min oil change...

Paul Elliott 10-11-2013 11:19

One more battery question: Did you use terminals on the battery cables? I don't see any; it looks like the cables might have been tinned and clamped under the washers at the battery screw-posts. If so, that's not a very good method. Over time the cables will compress and the connections will loosen and corrode. Also, you should protect the battery cables from chafe where they run over the lip of the battery box.

About the inversion, if you are ocean sailing you really want to consider this. The odds are low, but the potential damage is significant. Your battery box looks securely glassed to the hull, so the battery restraint could be as simple as a line lashed through holes drilled in the sides of the box.

I'm not saying that you need to do all of this right now before heading out, but it should be on your to-do list.

scoobert 10-11-2013 11:57

Yes, i compressed the tinned wire under the washer.
We ran out of time. On the switch end they all have proper sweged terminals

Paul Elliott 10-11-2013 12:14

OK, it should work long enough to get you to the point where you can improve things.

At that point, look at your fusing. You should have a big fuse within a certain (short) distance from the battery. There are differing opinions concerning if and how to fuse the starter. There are rules about this stuff, and even if you don't legally need to comply with them, they remain a good idea.

scoobert 10-11-2013 12:30

All will be repaired before we round the horn in 2015.

btrayfors 10-11-2013 12:56

Those wing nuts on the battery are a no-no. Replace with proper s/s nut and tighten.

Also, I hope you don't have the battery cable(s) sandwiched between s/s washers. That, too, is a no-no. ...s/s has a much higher resistance to DC current than does copper or lead. S/S washers are OK to press a copper conductor against a copper or lead electrical source, but not to go in between the source and the conductor.

Putting on a proper lug takes only minutes. Maybe you can borrow a cable crimper, or maybe you have a Nicopress tool aboard which can serve in a pinch?

Bill

steamgoat 10-11-2013 13:29

Well Scooby, I probably wouldn't be doing what you are,but,you have a nice looking boat and I hope all goes well for you while you get it fully sorted out. Good luck.

WebWench 10-11-2013 13:32

Best advice I can give you is to try to do things right the first time around. Sometimes we get in such a rush and put things together with the thought of it being temporary....but one thing leads to another and before you know it enough time as passed for the temporary fix to cause a major problem. This always results in a much more expensive fix the next time around.

Maybe as you are cruising down the Hudson....you can make some stops and pick up the stuff you need to get the battery done right. Use active captain or GPS to locate a nearby shop that has what you need. Doing in right will save you time later.

best of luck to you and your crew! have a good trip!

annsni 10-11-2013 14:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBoater917 (Post 1387133)
You're leaving today from NY? Where they have a gale warning up for this afternoon? Every time I see a news clip or blog post about a sailor in trouble I presume it's you and come check this thread to see if I'm right or not.

I'm on Long Island and it's been looking like it's snowing with leaves!! Blizzard-like leaves! Definitely decent wind today!

Don1500 10-11-2013 14:23

Scoot, My first voyage was down the Chesapeake, 15-25 gusts to 30, 5' seas, at night. After we got into Salt ponds and were safe we had two thoughts. 1. We should have been killed, and 2. It was a nice trip. COLD but nice.

Dave Lochner 10-11-2013 15:19

Re: Transit Time? NY-FL

Here's a post from Maine Cruising, a well respected poster on this site and others on using SS washers on batteries.

Battery Meltdown Averted Photo Gallery by Compass Marine at pbase.com

There are things on boats you can cheat on, battery connections are not one of them.

sabray 10-11-2013 16:21

On the coastal side you can get into atlantic city from. Sandy hook. . Weather forecasts are not good enough 5 days out. Cape may or harbor of refuge until the next jump. Jersey shore can be a nasty thing. Get good weather or get off that coast. I suggest good weather and short jump to AC until you are set up and have some experience.
You might do better going up the jersey and down the chessie. Leave that open as a option.
If you make it near Annapolis I will crimp your batt terminals and give you some straps . Easy stuff and it makes batts a lot safer. Just tell me what gauge wire you have. Also good fun jumping down the chessie. Great sailing. Going off shore first go around commits you. Maybe your up for it but your untried. Leave open a option and pick weather. Go pull the slots in atlantic city .Then cape may. After that you have options. Enjoy the trip .

DeepFrz 10-11-2013 17:30

Have a great trip Scoobert. I look forward to your progress reports.

a64pilot 10-11-2013 17:56

Godspeed and good luck.

nial 10-11-2013 18:07

I think scoobert is just pulling everyone's chain. Such hubris is worthy of the Titanic's owners. What on earth could go wrong? My boat is unsinkable, isn't it? He can't be serious.

Scott Berg 10-11-2013 18:39

I tend to concur; I know when I was getting ready to make a passage I didn't have nearly that much time to be online as he seems to be (and it isn't my first rodeo…)
guess we'll find out soon...