Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   General Sailing Forum (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   Transit Time? NY-FL (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f2/transit-time-ny-fl-111080.html)

Paul Elliott 22-09-2013 15:59

Re: Transit time? NY-FL
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by scoobert (Post 1346884)
i asked transit time, not "please tell me i am stupid for wanting to sail south in November in the ocean, with my 7 sea yacht"

Scoobert, that second one might have been the better post to make.

And three days is probably insufficient training for your wife, assuming the two of you make this trip with no other crew.

Like we said, we want you to succeed. We're not telling you this stuff to be mean.

boatman61 22-09-2013 16:18

Re: Transit time? NY-FL
 
Okay... going the Bermuda route will take you across the N wall of the Stream.... bit bumpy there with the cold Labrador and warm Gulf waters coming together... don't go trying to change sails... in fact when you set out have a 100% jib up there and save the others for if that gets shredded...
Sail past Bermuda at least 50 miles off before swinging round and approaching from the S... lots of reefs and nasty currents that will try and grab you in bad weather... personally I'd rather keep going running before the N'lies with full reefed main and the jib for power... but you or the wife may be ready for a break by then...:thumb:

scoobert 22-09-2013 16:29

Re: Transit time? NY-FL
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Elliott (Post 1346898)
Scoobert, that second one might have been the better post to make.

And three days is probably insufficient training for your wife, assuming the two of you make this trip with no other crew.

Like we said, we want you to succeed. We're not telling you this stuff to be mean.


i don't assume meanness, i assume over caution. like cellphones at takeoff.

where would i find an unpaid crew, that knows how to sail, that wants to freeze, and be knocked about, and survive on cheezeits because its too brutal to cook?

boatman61 22-09-2013 16:34

Re: Transit time? NY-FL
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by scoobert (Post 1346933)
i don't assume meanness, i assume over caution. like cellphones at takeoff.

where would i find an unpaid crew, that knows how to sail, that wants to freeze, and be knocked about, and survive on cheezeits because its too brutal to cook?

Never been to brutal to boil a kettle... or heat up a ready meal... more a case of are you up to doing it rather than can it be done..;)

scoobert 22-09-2013 16:41

Re: Transit time? NY-FL
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by boatman61 (Post 1346945)
Never been to brutal to boil a kettle... or heat up a ready meal... more a case of are you up to doing it rather than can it be done..;)

we are testing the freeze dried foods now.
i can cross icecream off the list, it is nasty.
crackers are a great carb source, and in a pinch, you could do a few weeks on just them. thats why we will have vacuum packed crackers on the yacht,
canned fruit, and we are still building this list :rolleyes:

boatman61 22-09-2013 16:50

Re: Transit time? NY-FL
 
Check out the Vac Paks... Potato's and Bacon fry... add a can of beans and its a great filler... quite a few others that are not to bad.
I bought a load of Asian lentil and veg curry type meals for my run from Perth to Tasmania... old ply 30ftr and no fridge... made my own naan breads on a fry pan... great stuff..:thumb:

scoobert 22-09-2013 16:54

Re: Transit time? NY-FL
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by boatman61 (Post 1346973)
Check out the Vac Paks... Potato's and Bacon fry... add a can of beans and its a great filler... quite a few others that are not to bad.
I bought a load of Asian lentil and veg curry type meals for my run from Perth to Tasmania... old ply 30ftr and no fridge... made my own naan breads on a fry pan... great stuff..:thumb:


i currently have issues with veggies. thou i will slowly train myself to eat them.
my big accomplishment in the past 3 years is now i enjoy rice.
i knew i needed to be able to eat rice, if i wanted to circle the world.
many of the ready to eat dishes have veg in them. i am researching making my own MRE's.
thou i admit, cooking is not my forte. nor is prepping.

Paul Annapolis 22-09-2013 16:55

Re: Transit time? NY-FL
 
Gentlemen and Ladies...... Ay yay yay. I am an extremely experienced sailor yet I have not gone through what many of the posters on this thread have done and they really know what they are talking about with their admonitions to Scoobert. And every time I add a day to my already thousands underway, I learn something--and once in a while come up on new hazards. I am awed by the widsom and skills of so many of the vastly more experienced sailors on this forum. Now for you Scoobert, and with all due respect to a stranger and to all members of this forum, LISTEN TO WHAT THESE SAILORS ARE TRYING TO TELL YOU. As someone who has consulted to boaters, coached and trained many a sailor and helped many like you go through a similar process, you simply do not know what you do not know and I can tell you this above all--if your wife is cold, scared, nervous, tied, hungry, seasick, uncomfortable, worried or not fully confident in your skills when you set out on day one you have already lost the game...and her cold feet will never warm up again.
And you've written about having a "solid engine" (well it is iron...), having a six person liferaft and written about your wife having to lift you out of the water. I am not sure if you know how difficult that can be for even five or six US Naval Academy Midshipmen at the Safety at Sea Seminar. You seem to dismiss many concerns of these other seriously salty sailors, have an answer to everything and well, I guess it's just called hubris. The sea is not inherently dangerous but your best ally and only possible guarantor of safety is to prepare, prepare, prepare....and I am not sure you've done that. ...But you'll find out soon enough--and so will Ms. Scoobert.

annsni 22-09-2013 17:17

Re: Transit time? NY-FL
 
Whoever mentioned the peeing thing - have you ever been in seas so rough you couldn't even pee safely???? Yeah - THAT is fun and I've not even been out in really bad stuff!! We sail Long Island Sound to Martha's Vineyard and let me tell you, those times make me a landlubber. :) And very much a praying person. LOL

annsni 22-09-2013 18:08

Re: Transit time? NY-FL
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roy M (Post 1347079)
What's so tough about peeing in the cockpit? And those waves help wash stuff out the scuppers. It sure beats that "one hand for the ship and.......". Of course, my cockpit sits on top of the centerboard trunk and drains completely. Oh, and I just had my second erasure, so I better be on top of my act now. Sorry, moderators, it just slipped out.

Well, being a girl, it's a bit harder but it's tough when you're needing to hold the wheel tight. I've had to go over to grab the wheel and let him do his thing. I've gotten good at holding it in. :)

Funniest story though was that we were sailing along and a powerboat buzzed us, throwing a good wake at us. Hubby went to steer into it but it still caught us and knocked us over a bit and next thing I know, my 7 year old is FLYING across the boat with her pants around her ankles. She was sitting on the pot when we rolled and that head door doesn't latch soundly. Poor thing was OK (didn't hit anything other than the cabin door) but man, did we laugh hard! :)

Vasco 22-09-2013 19:10

Re: Transit time? NY-FL
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by scoobert (Post 1346956)
we are testing the freeze dried foods now.
i can cross icecream off the list, it is nasty.
crackers are a great carb source, and in a pinch, you could do a few weeks on just them. thats why we will have vacuum packed crackers on the yacht,
canned fruit, and we are still building this list :rolleyes:


I would not bother with the vacuum packing of the crackers as by the time your'e subsisting on the crackers I think you'll probably prefer them a bit soggy.

scoobert 22-09-2013 19:13

Re: Transit time? NY-FL
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vasco (Post 1347158)
I would not bother with the vacuum packing of the crackers as by the time your'e subsisting on the crackers I think you'll probably prefer them a bit soggy.

its more to prevent vermin, and to keep them for crossings.
i like crackers lol.
we have a ton of storage space, and i will be filling it when we hit the south pacific. if i start building my stores now, it will be less last minute work i do before we take off.

carstenb 22-09-2013 22:45

Re: Transit time? NY-FL
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by scoobert (Post 1346837)
day 1-3 will be training the wife to handle the boat.
at the end she may not be able to dock it, but she will be able to do a figure 8, tie knots, lift my fat butt from the water, lower the sails, start the engine, deploy the liferaft, call for help, and she will know where all the thruhulls are, and how to get the plug in them/close the valve. by the end of week 1 she will be able to sail. her intelligence is slightly above normal, and is a quick hands on learner. thats why i cannot give her a book on it, she will learn more the first week, then she would with 10 books on theory.

Scoobert,

MY congratualtions. You apparently have found the fastest learning person on the globe to be your wife. I'm utterly certain, that as you say, she can learn all that in 1 week. The rest of us couldn't. My wife (with far above average intelligence - couldn't). Me - I couldn't learn it all in a week.

By the way - lifting your "fat butt from the water" - hmmmm. I really hate to say this, but in anything but ideal conditions, she will not be able to do that, especially if you are hurt or unconscious. Yachting monthly did an experiment about a year ago. 3 strong men could not lift a tethered dummy back on board, while the boat was moving.

Try it. jump overboard with your lifevest on and have her try to get you back on board (no helping just deadweight). won't happen, even getting a line on you and getting that on a winch etc, is a major excercise, even in calm weather. In a storm, with heaving and pitching decks - well - I hope your life innsurance is paid up so she will be able to retire

Paul Annapolis 23-09-2013 04:36

Re: Transit time? NY-FL
 
Scoobert Will come back with plenty of glib responses about how he's already figured out the whole issue of how his wife will relieve herself and how he's already figured out a person overboard retrieval system. I am beginning to think his wife is like Lt. Columbo's wife...he talks all about here but we never saw her. Scoobert is already an inductee into the nautical know it all hall of fame. Scoobert is all ready all right...all ready with an answer for every raised eyebrow presented to him by experienced sailors on here...he is all ready with an answer for everything......he's just not all ready for his voyage.

scoobert 23-09-2013 05:04

Re: Transit time? NY-FL
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by carstenb (Post 1347241)
Scoobert,

MY congratualtions. You apparently have found the fastest learning person on the globe to be your wife. I'm utterly certain, that as you say, she can learn all that in 1 week. The rest of us couldn't. My wife (with far above average intelligence - couldn't). Me - I couldn't learn it all in a week.

By the way - lifting your "fat butt from the water" - hmmmm. I really hate to say this, but in anything but ideal conditions, she will not be able to do that, especially if you are hurt or unconscious. Yachting monthly did an experiment about a year ago. 3 strong men could not lift a tethered dummy back on board, while the boat was moving.

Try it. jump overboard with your lifevest on and have her try to get you back on board (no helping just deadweight). won't happen, even getting a line on you and getting that on a winch etc, is a major excercise, even in calm weather. In a storm, with heaving and pitching decks - well - I hope your life innsurance is paid up so she will be able to retire


life sling + topping lift = lifting a whale on board.
if unconscious, she will hook my harness (how did i fall over with a harness on in the first place?) and do the same thing. she can hook the boom vang right to me, crank up the boom, lock it off, then hoist me with the vang. not saying its going to be fast, but then like i said, how will i be overboard with a harness, unless the jack line breaks?

I.Grind 23-09-2013 07:00

Scoobert, the reason everyone's telling you not to go is that calculating transit time for a voyage is such a basic skill, and probably the first thing a competent skipper would do upon the idea entering his head. Since then every comment you have made has further reinforced the growing body of evidence that you are biting off more than you can chew. From what you post, it appears you do not possess enough basic knowledge to comprehend what people are trying to tell you.

That is why so many are advising against this trip.

carstenb 23-09-2013 07:09

Re: Transit time? NY-FL
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by scoobert (Post 1347338)
life sling + topping lift = lifting a whale on board.
if unconscious, she will hook my harness (how did i fall over with a harness on in the first place?) and do the same thing. she can hook the boom vang right to me, crank up the boom, lock it off, then hoist me with the vang. not saying its going to be fast, but then like i said, how will i be overboard with a harness, unless the jack line breaks?

I truly hope for your sake that she won't have to try this. Yachting Monthly tried this as an experiment with three (3) experienced sailors, who knew exactly what they needed to do. Additionally, they were practicing on a mannequin and therefore not terribly concerned if they broke some arms or legs in the process. Nor were they concerned about the mannequin drowning.
It was also not in storm conditions.

I'll submit that you really haven't got the slightest clue about what you are talking about. Earlier you noted that now you knew everything that you needed to know about sail trim - because you had read a book.

I simply won't comment on that.

Richard5 23-09-2013 07:14

Re: Transit time? NY-FL
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by scoobert (Post 1346956)
we are testing the freeze dried foods now.
i can cross icecream off the list, it is nasty.
crackers are a great carb source, and in a pinch, you could do a few weeks on just them. thats why we will have vacuum packed crackers on the yacht,
canned fruit, and we are still building this list :rolleyes:

By hook or by crook you have evaded the point. The point is in all thee sea miles Boatman has not experienced a sea state which was so violent as to prohibit making a cuppa tea or whatever. Instead you talk of nasty ice cream and cardboard freeze dried pseudo food.

The point is exactly that short of repeated knock downs one can in fact produce a hot meal. The point is that in even green water over the bow one can be cozy and safe.

If you have to resort to survival food the trip is already in jeopardy. Passage making is not doomsday preparations. The Poseidon Adventure was not an accurate presentation of the open sea which commands survivalist mode.

BTW: eat foods local to your area. They are plentiful, inexpensive, and at least keep the flying critters from targeting the newly arrived meat packet which is you if you insist on maintaining the diet of your point of origination. Eating foods of your next destination is a favored tactic.

MLOI 23-09-2013 07:24

Re: Transit time? NY-FL
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by scoobert (Post 1347338)
life sling + topping lift = lifting a whale on board.
if unconscious, she will hook my harness (how did i fall over with a harness on in the first place?)

Umm - if you fall over without a harness and tether on, then your body is already lost. The only chance you have is if you are still attached to the boat.

I've been over (actually I slid across the deck and broke through the lines) on a 52 ft boat. With a full racing crew of 12 it was a struggle to get back on board - and i was fully concious and pretty strong. (I do mast for offshore races, so need to be pretty competant at hauling on string)

BTW - have you checked that that topping lift reaches to the water at the stern of the boat?

Just as one point of comparison, the last two deliveries (post race) I've done on the 52 ft boat, we've taken 5 days and 6 days respectively to make it ~550 nm home. And been beaten up badly, destroyed a mainsail and a headsail, had the engine die at the wrong time, had one crew member with 3 broken ribs etc. That's with a crew of 6 with a lot of offshore racing between us. And we've hidden from the worst of the weather for days at a time.

Mike

Richard5 23-09-2013 07:36

Re: Transit time? NY-FL
 
Here I go....

Making way to de island mon is not like you gonna barely make it. It's a matter of perception, you either think you have barely escaped death or it's high tea all the way. The water doesn't have the mind what way you think about it. You either commit yourself to the thrill and enjoyment or you commit yourself to fear of the unknown.

Truth be told, it's the latter with you. There is no shame in admitting that. But you have to at least be honest to yourself. And by God you have to admit that to your passengers. Be the captain of your ship. Take charge. You either put the fear in them or that it will be a grand time. Never let them see you sweat and never ever scare the passengers, crew, wife, whatever you call them.

Actively create memorable and pleasant experiences...even if it's stormy conditions. Fear and fraught is a matter of perspective. High winds is a time to feel alive or a time to be frightful. Some of my best memories are of a big sea state. The threat is more imagined than real. Take charge my friend.

Richard5 23-09-2013 07:47

Re: Transit time? NY-FL
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MLOI (Post 1347451)

BTW - have you checked that that topping lift reaches to the water at the stern of the boat?

Capital idea!

BTW: how did that crewman break 3 ribs? Was it the steps in the companion way? The worst I had done was break several bones in my hand when caught in an override in a winch. Well, that and a severely bruised ankle from landing wrong after stepping over a hatch on the pitching bow. Scrapes and cuts go with the territory.

WebWench 23-09-2013 09:14

Re: Transit time? NY-FL
 
Make sure before you leave that you have good insurance coverage and that you are covered for offshore passage. If boats end up with damage.....many times it is incurred offshore.

Vasco 23-09-2013 09:30

Re: Transit time? NY-FL
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by WebWench (Post 1347544)
Make sure before you leave that you have good insurance coverage and that you are covered for offshore passage. If boats end up with damage.....many times it is incurred offshore.

And where would scoobert get this coverage?

tomdidit 23-09-2013 10:02

Re: Transit time? NY-FL
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by scoobert (Post 1347338)
life sling + topping lift = lifting a whale on board.
if unconscious, she will hook my harness (how did i fall over with a harness on in the first place?) and do the same thing. she can hook the boom vang right to me, crank up the boom, lock it off, then hoist me with the vang. not saying its going to be fast, but then like i said, how will i be overboard with a harness, unless the jack line breaks?

You should try this right there on your mooring. See how well it works out for you there before you assume that your wife, or yourself for that matter, can get someone back aboard in tough conditions. You will find it is more than difficult while in benigh conditions.

hellosailor 23-09-2013 10:23

Re: Transit time? NY-FL
 
I think we've reached the point where we should each ante up two bucks, pool the money, and install a couple of GoPro cameras on scoobert's boat, so everyone can sit back and enjoy watching the show after he makes landfall. Or live streaming video, and option the broadcast rights.

Breaking Seas: An overweight, middle-aged computer nerd buys his first boat, quits his job, and sails off to adventure - [author] Damato, Glenn
Borrowed from Amazon's library. Interesting account of "I'm going sailing!" right down to the way a "composting" head apparently fails quite miserably and unpredictably under the wrong circumstances.

WebWench 23-09-2013 11:27

Re: Transit time? NY-FL
 
I would think he could talk to the many marine insurance companies out there. Even Boatus has an insurance division. I am sure he can learn a great deal from them.

I don't know about you but even my marina, where I keep my boat requires coverage for the boat as well as liability. I guess they want to make sure that in case my boat does damage to their docks....they will be covered. Plus for your own peace of mind you would want to be covered for uninsured boaters, in case they were to hit you. I also have coverage for storm damage or fuel spill.....that can cost you a fortune if it were to happen.
I like peace of mind.....insurance covers that.

Besides if you were to hit a rock or reef or some other garbage in the water (hard to see at night) you would want to be covered for the damage to your boat, and you too if you suffered medical issues.

hellosailor 23-09-2013 11:29

Re: Transit time? NY-FL
 
"you would want to be covered for the damage to your boat"
Not to mention, wreck removal and environmental cleanup charges and fines.

Vasco 23-09-2013 11:43

Re: Transit time? NY-FL
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by WebWench (Post 1347647)
I would think he could talk to the many marine insurance companies out there. Even Boatus has an insurance division. I am sure he can learn a great deal from them.

.

My earlier comment "And where would scoobert get this coverage?" was in reply to your statement "Make sure before you leave that you have good insurance coverage and that you are covered for offshore passage."

Many insurers require a competent skipper and minimum crew standards when insuring for an "offshore passage". I am not convinced that the OP would meet those requirements.

MLOI 23-09-2013 17:38

Re: Transit time? NY-FL
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard5 (Post 1347469)

BTW: how did that crewman break 3 ribs?
Scrapes and cuts go with the territory.

Not 100% sure to be honest. It is a race boat, so no interior down below, and it can be a long way from one side to the other. He said he got thrown into the edge of a pipe cot. I was on deck getting the main down - we were bouncing around a bit.

Two days earlier when we were doing the route planning, I made the comment "... it's only 30 knots...". The guy who got hurt reminded me of that comment a few times.

scoobert 24-09-2013 10:05

Re: Transit time? NY-FL
 
so this bad, or worse?
Rough Sail from New York to Florida - YouTube

Boatguy30 24-09-2013 10:10

Re: Transit time? NY-FL
 
Don't forget he has also promised in other threads to forgo the use of GPS in support of further government austerity.

also to deny any form of rescue that isn't privately funded.

tomdidit 24-09-2013 10:12

Re: Transit time? NY-FL
 
That is a nice day on the water. Video never does justice to the actual wave size but in these pictures it is evident that there is no storm. Just average downwind sailing with no green water coming over the top of the dodger. Going back into it would probably be wet, but nothing bad. No $%^& hitting the fan in this video.

Matt Johnson 24-09-2013 10:12

Re: Transit time? NY-FL
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by scoobert (Post 1348478)


Way, way worse! Dude is still able to sit still and eat potato chips!

boatman61 24-09-2013 10:15

Re: Transit time? NY-FL
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by scoobert (Post 1348478)

Can be a lot worse... if you get your widows wrong..
I'd estimate sea's were 3metres with the occasional 4metre wave in that clip... winds maybe 25kts.. 30 kts at a push as he was heading downwind..

WebWench 24-09-2013 10:36

Re: Transit time? NY-FL
 
No one really knows what you will experience ....could be better, could be worse.....could be much worse, and will be very cold in November as well. This is why everyone is suggesting to stay in the ICW for as much as possible.

Just watched the video....that's a good day on the "protected" waters of the Chesapeake! Suggest you watch some of the other videos....some big water ones.

scoobert 24-09-2013 10:42

Re: Transit time? NY-FL
 
WW i understand the weather and sea are fickle. i just watched the full vid by those people, they made FL in 5 days. outside, and with a storm.
i have given no solid word to any marina yet, so i may just do the jaunt to Jacksonville, stay a month, then move on to the keys for a few weeks, then to Tampa so we can spend a few days at Busch Gardens. but if we can make it in 5, or even 8 days, we will stay outside. just need to find some good seasick pills.

WebWench 24-09-2013 10:44

Re: Transit time? NY-FL
 
Problem with seasick pills is most of them will also make you sleepy.

boatman61 24-09-2013 10:47

Re: Transit time? NY-FL
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by scoobert (Post 1348524)
WW i understand the weather and sea are fickle. i just watched the full vid by those people, they made FL in 5 days. outside, and with a storm.
i have given no solid word to any marina yet, so i may just do the jaunt to Jacksonville, stay a month, then move on to the keys for a few weeks, then to Tampa so we can spend a few days at Busch Gardens. but if we can make it in 5, or even 8 days, we will stay outside. just need to find some good seasick pills.

Ginger Biscuits...:thumb:
Barley Sugars... are good for the trip as well..

Sailmonkey 24-09-2013 10:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by boatman61 (Post 1348528)

Ginger Biscuits...:thumb:
Barley Sugars... are good for the trip as well..

I'm between jobs and just had some barley sugar for lunch!!!

scoobert 24-09-2013 10:55

Re: Transit time? NY-FL
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by WebWench (Post 1348526)
Problem with seasick pills is most of them will also make you sleepy.

did not know that. i do not get seasick. they would be for her, and maybe me when i get time in the bunk.

the other option i just though of is to break up the trip down. 3 days out, 2 days to recover, before we finish the trip.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 21:35.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.