Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   General Sailing Forum (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   Transit Time? NY-FL (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f2/transit-time-ny-fl-111080.html)

Richard5 05-12-2013 16:52

Re: Transit Time? NY-FL
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by scoobert (Post 1408140)
yes i know how, not enough time, i would have done it today, but cannot lift it. the wife cannot lift it either.

I meant if wife not know how. BTW: depending upon type sewing machine and where on sail, may not be necessary to lift entire sail. Besides, aren't there hands around the dock to make an acquaintance?

scoobert 05-12-2013 17:02

Re: Transit Time? NY-FL
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard5 (Post 1408163)
Besides, aren't there hands around the dock to make an acquaintance?

i don't ask for help unless i intend to pay for it. thats just me.

bobconnie 05-12-2013 17:36

Re: Transit Time? NY-FL
 
:DI find that helping others bears a lot of help in return!! Ive helped folks all over the place with engine and tranny problems, and have had help from others all for free!! Maybe a change in attitude might help out with your problems maybe ?? I have tools that most don't carry, and the knowalge to use them! A lot of us don't have the money to hire someone to fix or move things for us!! But when I have needed hands to help it seems that haveing helped others get's me some help when I need it !! It's a big world out there ! and ya never know when ya will need some help! maybe in a remote anchorage, with no paid help in 500 miles!! Asking for help do not make ya weak! just normal !! Just my 2 cents:thumb:

scoobert 05-12-2013 17:49

Re: Transit Time? NY-FL
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobconnie (Post 1408188)
:DI find that helping others bears a lot of help in return!! Ive helped folks all over the place with engine and tranny problems, and have had help from others all for free!! Maybe a change in attitude might help out with your problems maybe ?? I have tools that most don't carry, and the knowalge to use them! A lot of us don't have the money to hire someone to fix or move things for us!! But when I have needed hands to help it seems that haveing helped others get's me some help when I need it !! It's a big world out there ! and ya never know when ya will need some help! maybe in a remote anchorage, with no paid help in 500 miles!! Asking for help do not make ya weak! just normal !! Just my 2 cents:thumb:


i do not mind helping others, i have always had an issue asking for help.
i have been independent too long i guess.

Kenomac 05-12-2013 17:59

Re: Transit Time? NY-FL
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobconnie (Post 1408188)
:DI find that helping others bears a lot of help in return!! Ive helped folks all over the place with engine and tranny problems, and have had help from others all for free!! Maybe a change in attitude might help out with your problems maybe ?? I have tools that most don't carry, and the knowalge to use them! A lot of us don't have the money to hire someone to fix or move things for us!! But when I have needed hands to help it seems that haveing helped others get's me some help when I need it !! It's a big world out there ! and ya never know when ya will need some help! maybe in a remote anchorage, with no paid help in 500 miles!! Asking for help do not make ya weak! just normal !! Just my 2 cents:thumb:

Offering assitance and not being afraid to ask for a helping hand is all about being part of the cruising community. :thumb:

bobconnie 05-12-2013 19:29

Re: Transit Time? NY-FL
 
:whistling:Not everything is solved by throwing money at it !! If one helps others, it's amazing how that help come back in bunchs! I know that I would be glad to help a injured sailor move batterys if needed! There have been times that even I needed help ! LOL and because Ive helped others, it seems that help was there when I needed it ! If yall were closer Scoob I would be glad to give ya an hour or two to get things set up for ya while your down in the back !! Im sure that there are others that are close that will give ya a hand if ya need it !! Never be afarid to owe someone help! just help those that need it when ya can ! Worked for us over the years !

scoobert 05-12-2013 19:34

Re: Transit Time? NY-FL
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobconnie (Post 1408284)
:whistling:Not everything is solved by throwing money at it !! If one helps others, it's amazing how that help come back in bunchs! I know that I would be glad to help a injured sailor move batterys if needed! There have been times that even I needed help ! LOL and because Ive helped others, it seems that help was there when I needed it ! If yall were closer Scoob I would be glad to give ya an hour or two to get things set up for ya while your down in the back !! Im sure that there are others that are close that will give ya a hand if ya need it !! Never be afarid to owe someone help! just help those that need it when ya can ! Worked for us over the years !


well thank you. i was feeling better today, and i tried to lift the spinnaker. i moved it, and hurt for an hour after. this is going to make my day job a nightmare...

dune buggy loading - YouTube

now... if you want to come do my job for me :D

Richard5 05-12-2013 20:36

Re: Transit Time? NY-FL
 
Speaking for myself the greatest claim to fame is when I have helped others. I've lived a great many varied experiences but the greatest is to give my time or money in aid of another and especially so when I knew they were not able to return the favor. Just pass it down the line when able and to the best of your ability is what I'd say.

I have known folks who find it difficult to accept help. My own wife was like that. To them I would say you are denying others the joy of giving. It is better to learn to be gracious in receiving. To receive does not obligate you to that other. In fact, that is one of the basest arguments against receiving.

scoobert 06-12-2013 10:10

Re: Transit Time? NY-FL
 
S/V Union Pacific : Back in the ocean again!
update!

scoobert 06-12-2013 10:18

Re: Transit Time? NY-FL
 
Sailing upstream - YouTube
shooting the rapids in Charleston!

can't remember the name of the cut.

rough ocean
https://tinyurl.com/nfaxlzt

Stu Jackson 06-12-2013 10:20

Re: Transit Time? NY-FL
 
Are you still learning the difference between current and tide? :)

scoobert 06-12-2013 10:21

Re: Transit Time? NY-FL
 
most likely. at 35 knots, you don't notice them, now i have to plan for them.

evm1024 06-12-2013 12:59

Re: Transit Time? NY-FL
 
I know the CF community will not do it - we are just too "helpful". Imagine gentle reader NOT offering information or advise to Scoob for 7 days.

Let him fend for himself for a week while on passage and track his questions on other forums.

Of course this is contrary to the way we operate.

Regards

Snore 06-12-2013 13:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoobert (Post 1408595)
Sailing upstream - YouTube shooting the rapids in Charleston! can't remember the name of the cut. rough ocean https://tinyurl.com/nfaxlzt

I don't want to be rude or flame.... BUT if are calling those conditions "rough seas" you really need more deck time. I'm going to guess 4-6 with occasional 8' roller. Nothing was breaking and the bow never went under. Many would have tucked a reef or maybe two and gone with it.

But what do any of us know....

scoobert 06-12-2013 13:32

Re: Transit Time? NY-FL
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snore (Post 1408755)
I don't want to be rude or flame.... BUT if are calling those conditions "rough seas" you really need more deck time. I'm going to guess 4-6 with occasional 8' roller. Nothing was breaking and the bow never went under. Many would have tucked a reef or maybe two and gone with it.

But what do any of us know....


everyone has a definition of rough. would anyone call that smooth? not saying its storm conditions, just rough. we have been in worse, off sandy hook, NJ. but nothing very serious yet.
i was dismayed thou, i thought a small craft advisory would be worse. we have been in three now, and i would call them good sailing conditions.

boatman61 06-12-2013 13:48

Re: Transit Time? NY-FL
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by scoobert (Post 1408758)
everyone has a definition of rough. would anyone call that smooth? not saying its storm conditions, just rough. we have been in worse, off sandy hook, NJ. but nothing very serious yet.
i was dismayed thou, i thought a small craft advisory would be worse. we have been in three now, and i would call them good sailing conditions.

Well your not exactly a small boat are you... that's usually small open craft like Boston whalers and the like..

scoobert 06-12-2013 13:50

Re: Transit Time? NY-FL
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by boatman61 (Post 1408766)
Well your not exactly a small boat are you... that's usually small open craft like Boston whalers and the like..

thats what i thought, but i googled it, and it said,
Quote:

The National Weather Service does not specifically identify what constitutes a "small craft," although the United States Coast Guard Auxiliary informally assigns the designation to boats with a total length of less than 65 feet.

scuba0_1 06-12-2013 13:53

small craft advisories vary from location to location. Generally, they are posted when winds are expected to range from 28 to 38 mph or waves of 5 to 7'. However, the wind range may drop as low as 24 mph for harbors or bays, and waves as low as 4'. There are other local variations which forecasters take into effect.Practically, this sailor will tell you the go-no go decision depends or should depend upon your experience as a skipper, the exact capabilities of your boat and the fortitude (or comfort level) of your passengers.

scoobert 06-12-2013 14:01

Re: Transit Time? NY-FL
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by scuba0_1 (Post 1408770)
small craft advisories vary from location to location. Generally, they are posted when winds are expected to range from 28 to 38 mph or waves of 5 to 7'. However, the wind range may drop as low as 24 mph for harbors or bays, and waves as low as 4'. There are other local variations which forecasters take into effect.Practically, this sailor will tell you the go-no go decision depends or should depend upon your experience as a skipper, the exact capabilities of your boat and the fortitude (or comfort level) of your passengers.

good to know. i have learned quite a bit on this trip, that i had no idea about. the first 1/2 of our trip was spent within 8 mile of shore. i had never read anywhere that closer to shore, unless the wind is blowing from onshore, is more rough, due to shallow water.

as far as go, no-go i don't want to be in anything larger then 8' seas if i can help it. its just uncomfortable. if we get into some nasty stuff someday, its not a big deal, just it makes it not very fun. i find 3-5, on anywhere but the rear quarters, comfortable, and i can sleep well in those conditions. i will have to try far offshore someday. the most i have been so far is about 24 miles off by myrtle beach.
the biggest seas i have seen are 6-8, with 12' +/-3' rollers. big enough to soak the deck, and coat the windows on the dodger with spray.

Paul Elliott 06-12-2013 14:29

Re: Transit Time? NY-FL
 
Here's a little bit more, but still not quite rough:Return - YouTube (see the segment starting at 0:25). These were "fresh" conditions with perhaps 6ft tradewinds swells and about 25 kts. We spent a couple of days plowing north into this stuff when we left Hawaii on 2006. Near the end of the video is our whale collision.

Here are bigger seas and stronger wind (about 9-12 ft seas, and 30 kts wind), but we were sailing downwind (in 2012, video taken by a crewmember): Aboard VALIS - downwind - YouTube

I am posting this as a sort of calibration service. It is just about impossible for a video to convey how big waves and swells actually are. My videos look non-impressive, but trust me those wave height estimates are pretty accurate. Scoobert's conditions were no doubt worse than it looks.

Here are some 120kt wind (first segment) and 40ft seas (second segment), shot between Antarctica and Cape Horn. I'm very glad I was on a big ship! : Antarctica Wind - YouTube (yes I actually know how to spell "williwah")

Coops 08-12-2013 00:04

Re: Transit Time? NY-FL
 
This thread was removed for a short time due to pages and pages of personal attacks and comments. Many posts have been removed because of this, but there is a lot of good information on here that would be a shame to lose. We are therefore going to reinstate the thread back into the forum but in a closed state.

Thanks to all who made it an informative, interesting, and enjoyable thread.:thumb:

Coops.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:10.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.