Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   General Sailing Forum (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   Transit Time? NY-FL (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f2/transit-time-ny-fl-111080.html)

scoobert 02-12-2013 10:43

Re: Transit Time? NY-FL

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin84 (Post 1405134)
Really? Kinda far off the beaten track. Is your wife leaving with you or is she staying with the boat?

She will stay, as will the dogs

cheoah 02-12-2013 11:47

Killer weather in Charleston this week, will feel like you're "south". I stayed in that location one winter, but it was a ramshackle place called Buzzards Roost. New place should be nice, but I had a car when I was there.

Scoob how long did you fight the falling tide? One of the benefits of having all this daylight to work with is you can delay your entrance for slack or helpful current - whatever conditions demand. I'd probably heaved to and goofed off for awhile and fished for spanish, tidied ship, cooked, rested, etc and waited for the flood - if the conditions were right and all of that. Just something to keep in mind. You can also look at the tide before you leave, as part of your planning, and time your passage for optimal time. Sometimes just slowing down a bit can do it, but I do understand the impetus to keep pushing at times, even if it is slower or harder on the engine.

Don't know where you are, but I think you'll hit Elliots cut at a decent time. That next bridge you open up, that section up to the Stono can easily have 5 knot currents and I have heard of 6-7. Just be aware of that if you are sailing around the harbor this winter. You're in a great place to learn to sail.

Congrats on a good first run, hope you get a few days to goof off in the 70 degree weather-

Kevin84 02-12-2013 11:52

Scoob, I hope you have a car lined up for your wife. St John's is in the middle of nowhere. And last I checked, they don't have shuttle service. And no stores are within walking distance.

cheoah 02-12-2013 11:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin84 (Post 1405181)
Scoob, I hope you have a car lined up for your wife. St John's is in the middle of nowhere. And last I checked, they don't have shuttle service. And no stores are within walking distance.

Is the Noisy Oyster restaurant still there? Hopefully something new and better has replaced...

Kevin84 02-12-2013 12:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheoah (Post 1405184)

Is the Noisy Oyster restaurant still there? Hopefully something new and better has replaced...

That's at Bohicket on Kiawah. St John's is on John's Island.

cheoah 02-12-2013 13:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin84 (Post 1405192)

That's at Bohicket on Kiawah. St John's is on John's Island.

So no, there is no longer a noisy oyster restaurant on johns island. No other restaurant at St. John's?

Kevin84 02-12-2013 14:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheoah (Post 1405268)

So no, there is no longer a noisy oyster restaurant on johns island. No other restaurant at St. John's?

There is a restaurant at that marina. I just dont remember what it it's called. I know it's not the Noisy Oyster.

scoobert 02-12-2013 15:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheoah (Post 1405178)
Killer weather in Charleston this week, will feel like you're "south". I stayed in that location one winter, but it was a ramshackle place called Buzzards Roost. New place should be nice, but I had a car when I was there.

Scoob how long did you fight the falling tide? One of the benefits of having all this daylight to work with is you can delay your entrance for slack or helpful current - whatever conditions demand. I'd probably heaved to and goofed off for awhile and fished for spanish, tidied ship, cooked, rested, etc and waited for the flood - if the conditions were right and all of that. Just something to keep in mind. You can also look at the tide before you leave, as part of your planning, and time your passage for optimal time. Sometimes just slowing down a bit can do it, but I do understand the impetus to keep pushing at times, even if it is slower or harder on the engine.

Don't know where you are, but I think you'll hit Elliots cut at a decent time. That next bridge you open up, that section up to the Stono can easily have 5 knot currents and I have heard of 6-7. Just be aware of that if you are sailing around the harbor this winter. You're in a great place to learn to sail.

Congrats on a good first run, hope you get a few days to goof off in the 70 degree weather-

We surfed the rapids at that narrow cut, was super fun.
Two smaller boats were anchored because they didnt have the speed.
I was at 3/4 power doing 3 kts otg

scoobert 02-12-2013 15:17

There are a few 5star restraunts in town.
We will stop in one tonight and check it out.

Kevin84 02-12-2013 16:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoobert (Post 1405311)
There are a few 5star restraunts in town.
We will stop in one tonight and check it out.

That's true. But if I remember correctly, there isnt anything close or within walking distance.

scoobert 02-12-2013 16:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin84 (Post 1405371)
That's true. But if I remember correctly, there isnt anything close or within walking distance.

Free car here. Just waiting for the last person to come back then off to chop house!

DeepFrz 02-12-2013 16:50

How is your back today scoobert?

Kevin84 02-12-2013 17:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoobert (Post 1405378)

Free car here. Just waiting for the last person to come back then off to chop house!

Lucky you!

scoobert 02-12-2013 17:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeepFrz (Post 1405382)
How is your back today scoobert?

Bad. Had to stow the jib, and cover the sails. I wanted to scream.
Wife wants me to take pills. Meh.

boatman61 02-12-2013 17:18

Lay on your back on a firm surface and place your arms by your sides... then draw your knees up till your upper and lower legs form 90*... palms face down do a pelvic thrust from the hips down.. hold and use your legs and arms to raise lower back taking your weight on your shoulders till a straight line from chin to stomach to knees.. hold for a 3 count the lower slowly back then release pelvic thrust.. 3 count then repeat...
10 times of a morning.. repeat in the evening...
Was given this exercise to strengthen back muscles coz I kept popping my Sacariliac... dunno if I spelt that right...
Likely not..:D

Coops 02-12-2013 17:32

Nope, but everybody knows what you mean Boatie.:thumb:

Coops.

DeepFrz 02-12-2013 18:15

From some one who has been there, sometimes muscle relaxants can prevent further injury. Muscle spasms can cause further damage to the already damaged muscle tissue.

fjwiley1 02-12-2013 19:13

Scoobert....you did good. You have really made a lot of good Friends and Supporters on this Thread. Some good advice also on your back pain. Sounds like Boatman, Coops, DeepFrz and add me to the list have been where you are. DeepFrz has a very valid point. The Pelvic Thrust is helpful as a continual exercise for the lower back muscles.

I'm glad you found a good place to stay for your wife. Sorry you didn't make it to Jax in time for your trip back north. We drove up to Jersey for Thanksgiving and left yesterday morning at 4 am, 37 degrees. For those that think it doesn't get cold here, it was 28 degrees on Thanksgiving day but high 70's for the next couple of weeks....

Keep us all posted while you are away....I'd hope there is someone close by the marina to give your wife a hand if she needed some assistance.....keep a Smilin..........:)

Paul Elliott 02-12-2013 19:30

Add me to the back pain squad. Advil or Aleve are good anti-inflammatories. If you strain a spasming muscle it's only going to get worse. Heat pads can help. Lie down with your knees up. Gentle exercise and stretching is good, but it has to be gentle. Being a hero (and further injuring your back) is not the way to go.

SailFastTri 02-12-2013 19:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Elliott (Post 1405470)
Add me to the back pain squad. Advil or Aleve are good anti-inflammatories. If you strain a spasming muscle it's only going to get worse. Heat pads can help. Lie down with your knees up. Gentle exercise and stretching is good, but it has to be gentle. Being a hero (and further injuring your back) is not the way to go.

NO HEAT! Not even hot water except the minimum needed to wash. Don't let it run. Heat will increase the spasm.

Any chiropractor will tell you to ICE it, and use anti-inflammatory meds.

And yes to the pelvic press with legs raised. Sitting in-general is bad for back spasm. On your back with legs raised is the best position if it's really bad.

bobconnie 02-12-2013 19:42

:DOne when we were ashore for a long time, I put on a bunch of extra weight, and had a bunch of back trouble till i lost the extra weight ! Sorta strange how your body will let ya know your goofin up LOL Not sayin thats your problem Scoob but maybe ?? LOL;)

Paul Elliott 02-12-2013 19:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by SailFastTri (Post 1405480)
NO HEAT! Not even hot water except the minimum needed to wash. Don't let it run. Heat will increase the spasm.

Any chiropractor will tell you to ICE it, and use anti-inflammatory meds.

And yes to the pelvic press with legs raised. Sitting in-general is bad for back spasm. On your back with legs raised is the best position if it's really bad.

Heat or cold depends on the stage you're in. Yes, in the early stages heat is probably not the right treatment, so I was wrong to recommend it. Later on it can help with comfort and circulation.

scoobert 02-12-2013 19:47

i took an ibuprofen. time for bed. good night all, i will update my blog in the morning, then go off to lame life for a few weeks.

fjwiley1 02-12-2013 19:50

As the old Doc said...."take this medicine Son, you'll feel better in the mornin"...

annsni 02-12-2013 19:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Elliott (Post 1405484)
Heat or cold depends on the stage you're in. Yes, in the early stages heat is probably not the right treatment, so I was wrong to recommend it. Later on it can help with comfort and circulation.

Actually, the new recommendation is that as long as there is inflammation, ice is the way to go even if it's weeks later. I'm STILL icing my back from my car accident almost 2 years ago even though I thought heat would be the right choice. But nope - according to both physical therapist and orthopedist, it's ice to do the job.

hellosailor 02-12-2013 20:25

Scoob, if you are still in Charleston, do consider getting your alternator checked, or check out your charging system. If you are now losing battery #2, there's a charging problem and those have a way of becoming a charging failure at the least convenient moment on a boat. Better to lay by for a day, at your convenience, and get that fixed.

If the back pain is something new to you, it might also pay to have a pro take a look at it. Whether you prefer chiropractors or mds (and there are those of both who should be keelhauled) it pays to find out what you are dealing with. Sometimes fast intervention and the right attention can prevent a small problem from turning into many months of suffering. Sometimes, it just pays to have the problem confirmed and to know you are doing whatever can or can't be done.

I have a friend who admits to being a chiropractor, and even he will say that sometimes "it" just needs a few days of rest. Other times, pain pills and months of care. But if it gets worse and you can't helm the boat--you'll have a major problem. Worth avoiding that, yes?

scoobert 03-12-2013 05:22

i am open to the idea of checking the alt, thou honestly i was just planning to have one built for me this month.

mrohr 03-12-2013 06:24

Wow! This is some forum,every possible sailing/cruising advice possible.
Now we have medical advice too!
Lets not neglect affairs of the heart and how to hook up with women, some expertise would be helpful here; I never seem to get that right. Maybe Scoob can help here , is an all female crew the answer?

Cuttyhunk 03-12-2013 06:32

I'm just not that interested in hooking up with women! Although if my husband ever dumped me...

;)

-- beth

scoobert 03-12-2013 06:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrohr (Post 1405793)
Wow! This is some forum,every possible sailing/cruising advice possible.
Lets not neglect affairs of the heart and how to hook up with women, some expertise would be helpful here; I never seem to get that right. Maybe Scoob can help here , is an all female crew the answer?

my advice is: do not bring sister-in-laws on your boat, when they hate you.
i have some simple boat rules. the first, cardinal rule is: No, ready to eat snacks, can be brought onto the boat. i have control issues, and a foraging issue when hungry. i only allow York's, because if i eat more then 6 i want to puke. day 1, she brings HOHO's and cookies, and snack cakes..... after i told her not to. first person i ever thought about keelhauling. she was the most lackluster crew i have ever had on my boat. while docking one day i told her to affix a bow line. the answer i got? do it yourself. while i have no issue going out on deck, securing a bow line, and coming back, i do have an issue that neither her, nor my wife, can dock in a contrary wind.
The moral of the story, if they hate you when you leave dock, they will hate you more a week later. :banghead:
needless to say my wife may bring anyone she likes on the boat, but her sister will not leave the dock with us again.

my rule on finding a wife is this: be 100% honest from day one. there are no surprises later, and if she does not like the real you, she can shove off before you like her. that's what i did with my wife. and i will never regret it.

want metaphysical advice too?

Mike Vogdes 03-12-2013 07:22

Been following this thread from the beginning and it has been, and continues to be a very good read. Shoobert you certainly are a do-er and set in your ways that's for sure, but I gotta ask.. What wrong with ready to eat snacks? Seems they are the way to go for most of us.

AfterHoursNLCT 03-12-2013 07:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoobert (Post 1405804)
i have control issues, and a foraging issue when hungry.

...LL

scoobert 03-12-2013 07:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Vogdes (Post 1405844)
Been following this thread from the beginning and it has been, and continues to be a very good read. Shoobert you certainly are a do-er and set in your ways that's for sure, but I gotta ask.. What wrong with ready to eat snacks? Seems they are the way to go for most of us.

things i have eaten in one sitting, many years ago, as i do not keep them in house anymore. listed per sitting, not all at once....
48 packs of gushers fruit snacks
3 boxes of hoho's
3 boxes of peanut butter chocolate sticks
48oz peanut butter cups
24oz MM's
4 boxes teddy grams
2 pounds maple candy
2 pounds fudge
3 containers cake icing

thats all i can think of right now.
i am ok with salty stuff. we have goldfish, ritz, saltines, york's, hot coco. i am also fine with "cook before eating" we make cookies, cupcakes, ect
buy we make the baked items, after i have had a meal. sorry to be so truthful here, but admitting you have a problem is a key step to overcoming. my wife helps a lot. she has not let me buy these items thou i still have the urge to sometimes.

Mike Vogdes 03-12-2013 07:52

Jeez I thought I had a sweet tooth problem.. You take the cake, literally...

brutb 03-12-2013 08:08

Scoobert,

"while docking one day i told her to affix a bow line. the answer i got? do it yourself. while i have no issue going out on deck, securing a bow line, and coming back, i do have an issue that neither her, nor my wife, can dock in a contrary wind."

Perhaps your crew does not know how to do it to your standards and would rather have you do than listen to your triade. Maybe letting them get a little practice in less stressful conditions would be the answer. Also not every GUEST you have on board is a true salt of the sea.
About your desire for sweets, why would you forbid your quests from having some comfort for them food. Surely at your age you should be able to control some of your urges. LOL

scoobert 03-12-2013 08:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by brutb (Post 1405866)
Scoobert,

"while docking one day i told her to affix a bow line. the answer i got? do it yourself. while i have no issue going out on deck, securing a bow line, and coming back, i do have an issue that neither her, nor my wife, can dock in a contrary wind."

Perhaps your crew does not know how to do it to your standards and would rather have you do than listen to your triade. Maybe letting them get a little practice in less stressful conditions would be the answer. Also not every GUEST you have on board is a true salt of the sea.
About your desire for sweets, why would you forbid your quests from having some comfort for them food. Surely at your age you should be able to control some of your urges. LOL

If you cannot do as you have been told, your not welcome to call yourself crew on my boat. Its that simple. I welcome passengers. Me and the wife can dock just fine without help, every time. Calling herself a crew gave her a small share of expenses. VS a set rate for a passenger. she knew very well how to affix a dock line, we had that training on day one. she knew how to tie a bowline before we left the dock. she knew man overboard drills the first day in the river. If i "bark an order" (my wife's words) that's because it needs to be done. If i tell you to do it, its because you know how. I made this clear before we left the dock with her. Lazyness struck her on day 3....

for the control issues, everyone is different.

scoobert 03-12-2013 08:40

A technical writeup on boat ownership.
S/V Union Pacific : To be technical.....

boatman61 03-12-2013 09:03

[QUOTE=mrohr;1405793]Wow! This is some forum,every possible sailing/cruising advice possible.
Lets not neglect affairs of the heart and how to hook up with women, some expertise would be helpful here; QUOTE]

Step 1/
Turn off the computer and walk outa your front door...:D

hellosailor 03-12-2013 09:07

scoob, Interstate doesn't say much about that battery but they do say it is a deep cycle AND that it is the newish "Pure Lead" technology (TPPL) like the Odyssey battery. That change from alloy to pure lead would change the weight, and make the plate thickness "different" from conventional deep cycle batteries as well. Could be a great choice.

If you're trying to wait for a custom alternator, I'd order it now, put a rush on it, and have it shipped ahead where and as convenient when it was ready. (Like to General Delivery at the next port, when that time comes.) Or pick up something conventional now, from a junkyard, and keep it as a spare later. Or lay by someplace for 48 hours, enjoy the hot showers while yours is rebuilt. Just don't gamble on a sick one lasting till you make Jax.

Hey, Boatman !
"Turn off the computer and walk outa your front door..."
Why waste time with the computer, if you aren't going to stick around for the electric bill anyhow? Whaddayou, an environmentalist or something? <VBG>

scoobert 03-12-2013 09:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by hellosailor (Post 1405908)
scoob, Interstate doesn't say much about that battery but they do say it is a deep cycle AND that it is the newish "Pure Lead" technology (TPPL) like the Odyssey battery. That change from alloy to pure lead would change the weight, and make the plate thickness "different" from conventional deep cycle batteries as well. Could be a great choice.

If you're trying to wait for a custom alternator, I'd order it now, put a rush on it, and have it shipped ahead where and as convenient when it was ready. (Like to General Delivery at the next port, when that time comes.) Or pick up something conventional now, from a junkyard, and keep it as a spare later. Or lay by someplace for 48 hours, enjoy the hot showers while yours is rebuilt. Just don't gamble on a sick one lasting till you make Jax.

Hey, Boatman !
"Turn off the computer and walk outa your front door..."
Why waste time with the computer, if you aren't going to stick around for the electric bill anyhow? Whaddayou, an environmentalist or something? <VBG>

we are here for a while. i will keep the westerbeke as a spare. i also have to get a dual groove pully for the water pump.
good knowing the pure lead is new. didnt know that!