Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   General Sailing Forum (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   Transit Time? NY-FL (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f2/transit-time-ny-fl-111080.html)

bene505 24-11-2013 07:20

Re: Transit Time? NY-FL

John Galt, +1 on the boat name.

Scoobert,

Been following this thread. We're rooting for you. Please continue to be safe.

Regards,
Brad

SailFastTri 24-11-2013 07:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by passat5919 (Post 1398518)
I was there in Coyemans landing marina to check on my friend Dave who's Mason 43 was docked right next to your boat. You been working on deck teak and my friend was adjusting rig and put new sail. You asked if one of us professional to help you with roller furling or so... You have nice boat but man there is a lot of work to make her shine... Never mind, the boat doing it's job and that's most important. Again, keep going, you inspired me. I actually found the boat. It'll take few weeks to get it all done, so I can say then I boat owner. Good Luck!

Congrats on being a boat owner. :thumb:

Edit: removed politically charged comment on health care

Joe from ny 24-11-2013 08:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sondor (Post 1398628)

The man appropriately points out that service is lacking at some finer establishments and suddenly *he* becomes the one with ill manners?

I'm pretty well-traveled myself and understand exactly what he means... NY isn't cheap, but you spend reasonable money and you get stellar service. Many places don't seem to get that part of the equation. The part where you go the extra mile for the patrons. Not because you *have to* but because you honestly appreciate their patronage.

That said, I LOVE the south in general for their hospitality at all price-points, but again, I do understand where he's coming from where restaurants will put out a white table-cloth and serve some warm sourdough thinking that's all it takes to charge premium prices... :whistling:

It is true about service in some less populated areas. We went to Carlisle Pa to the car show, and ate in a local place. We ordered a shell steak, and they brought us a rib eye steak. They swore hat it was a shell steak. We eat in all the best steak places in NYC, and a shell steak always has the bone. She got so snippy, claiming that the chef assured her that it was a shell steak. The hostility, along with the poor service, left us wishing for NYC again.

fjwiley1 24-11-2013 09:00

Scoobert......you are doing good, making good time at a reasonable, smart, pace.

Obviously the weather front has everything cool today and expected to be cooler tonight and in the morning (for us Floridians with thin skin at least). This is normal for us this time of year but still good.

The "Positives" now outweigh the "Negatives">>>keep a Smilin>>>>>:)

scoobert 24-11-2013 09:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe from ny (Post 1398300)
Can't you post the story using the same connection method you used to send this post?

Its my iphone. Hard to type 500+ words on this.

scoobert 24-11-2013 09:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by passat5919 (Post 1398518)
I was there in Coyemans landing marina to check on my friend Dave who's Mason 43 was docked right next to your boat. You been working on deck teak and my friend was adjusting rig and put new sail. You asked if one of us professional to help you with roller furling or so... You have nice boat but man there is a lot of work to make her shine... Never mind, the boat doing it's job and that's most important. Again, keep going, you inspired me. I actually found the boat. It'll take few weeks to get it all done, so I can say then I boat owner. Good Luck!

Dave is an awesome and friendly guy.
I love his hull paintjob.

Yes, i have much to do, but structurally the boat is flawless.
Cosmetics is the biggest part.

scoobert 24-11-2013 09:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by fjwiley1 (Post 1398814)
Scoobert......you are doing good, making good time at a reasonable, smart, pace.

Obviously the weather front has everything cool today and expected to be cooler tonight and in the morning (for us Floridians with thin skin at least). This is normal for us this time of year but still good.

The "Positives" now outweigh the "Negatives">>>keep a Smilin>>>>>:)

It is super cold. We have anchored out two nights. Now we are trying a marina for this evening and tonight! Warm with fresh bread tonight! Updates on the blog tonight too! My fake trip goes on! ;)

avb3 24-11-2013 09:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe from ny (Post 1398798)

It is true about service in some less populated areas. We went to Carlisle Pa to the car show, and ate in a local place. We ordered a shell steak, and they brought us a rib eye steak. They swore hat it was a shell steak. We eat in all the best steak places in NYC, and a shell steak always has the bone. She got so snippy, claiming that the chef assured her that it was a shell steak. The hostility, along with the poor service, left us wishing for NYC again.

Being from cattle country (if it ain't Alberta, it ain't beef) I had never heard the expression "shell steak".

Google being my friend, it tells me via Wikipedia that it is more commonly known as New York strip steak, Kansas City strip steak, strip loin, Delmonico, boneless loin or
boneless club steak.

It goes on to say: The (strip) steak may be sold with or without the bone.

As we say here in cattle country, same poop, different pile.

DeepFrz 24-11-2013 10:06

Quote:

My fake trip goes on!
LOL...don't let it get you down, its only castles burning.(Annie Lennox)

Alecadi 24-11-2013 10:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoobert (Post 1398821)
It is super cold. We have anchored out two nights. Now we are trying a marina for this evening and tonight! Warm with fresh bread tonight! Updates on the blog tonight too! My fake trip goes on! ;)

LOL!!!!!!!

escale 24-11-2013 10:24

Scoobert:

I'm just guessing.
I believe you are either anchored off near Alligator River or near the Alligator River Marina. Anchored for two days in the cold weather waiting for better weather. I believe if you can head South through Croatan Sound and Palmico Sound and continue to Beaufort, DE in the next few days you will find more supply accommodations and maybe better restaurants. The winds will be against you, but you will have an open weather window until late Tuesday. From there it will be getting very windy continuing to Wednesday. I believe every here agrees that you would be travelling mostly upwind this time of year.

From Beaufort, Your choice will be back out to open sea towards Cape Fear or continue on the ICW towards Georgetown and Winyah Bay. I'm not sure of the channel depth, but I'm sure locals and GC can give you tide and depth information. You will need to check your local weather and will have to make those decisions, as you are the captain. I'm closer to the west coast, and not standing on your deck but I am checking the weather on the Internet.

I'm rooting for you. Once you get to the Carolinas, it will be much warmer.

I wintered once in Charleston SC and found the weather quite pleasant compared to RI, (the only other place I wintered on the East Coast).

Good Luck,

--- Escale

scoobert 24-11-2013 10:44

Thanks Escale!
We are in belhaven, nc until tomorrow.
We found a friendly marina with nothing to sell but dockspace.
Dockmaster is the most friendly we have seen in weeks.
We are getting warm, and enjoying the sturdy ground.
Off to food lion, food (noting noteworthy) and relaxation.

scoobert 24-11-2013 15:02

blog update 1
S/V Union Pacific : IC(dubbihyaa)

Snore 24-11-2013 15:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoobert (Post 1399007)

Just read the update.... Keep it up!

All the best.

scuba0_1 24-11-2013 15:25

this is the first time I've actually plotted where you are on active captain typed top rack marina. you're missing so much cool stuff to look at just in that area could take weeks. what's the reason for the speed. are you going to finally take a look when you get to Tampa... sailing is about the journey not the destination

scoobert 24-11-2013 15:27

and the gross one. S/V Union Pacific : Refried Chicken?

scoobert 24-11-2013 15:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by scuba0_1 (Post 1399021)
what's the reason for the speed. are you going to finally take a look when you get to Tampa... sailing is about the journey not the destination

i have seen all this. i also need to be back to work in NY for 3 weeks in December. don't forget the weather, cold, and blowing.

DeepFrz 24-11-2013 16:09

What marina are you in now?

laika 24-11-2013 16:30

If Oriental is your next stop after Belhaven, there are two free town docks right next to the Oriental Marina and Inn and the Toucan. The Toucan has good seafood and also a decent burger. Nice little coffee shop called The Bean is right across the street from the docks before you get going in the morning.

Oriental is my favorite stop on that stretch. A quaint little fishing / sailing village with a touch of old timey charm.

scoobert 24-11-2013 16:44

great to know, thanks!!!

boatman61 24-11-2013 16:52

Word of warning.. don't stay at the Town Dock if there's a wind shift W.. it blows the water outa the Sound and your stuck till the wind shifts again..
How do I know..:whistling:

The Garbone 24-11-2013 17:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoobert (Post 1399022)

That is absolutely unreal. A lot of places we never make an impression with bland food and mehh service. They sure stand out in the crowd.

:popcorn:

annsni 24-11-2013 18:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoobert (Post 1399022)

Are you sure they refried it and didn't put it in the convection oven (which most restaurants would have done)?

SailFastTri 24-11-2013 18:17

Hey Scoob, enjoying your blog and rootin for ya!

It's cold as the proverbial witches you-know- here in NY so I checked your WX and it's not so good. Good thing you stayed inside. You'll see 18F tonight with winds in the 20's. (Hope you have heat). And it doesn't look so nice for you through most of the week, with strong headwinds on Tuesday-Wednesday so you might be wise to find a spot to stay-put for those couple of days. (The journey is where you are, so make it good) :thumb: . I've heard Pamlico Sound can have quite a nasty chop... BTW did you get some Dramamine for those pups?

Small Craft Advisory in effect until midnight EST tonight
Pamlico Sound-
Tonight
N winds 20 to 25 kt...diminishing to 15 to 20 kt late this evening and overnight. Waves 2 to 3 ft.
Mon
N winds 15 to 20 kt...becoming NE 5 to 10 kt in the afternoon. Waves around 2 ft in the morning...then 1 ft.
Mon Night
E winds 5 to 10 kt. Waves 1 ft.
Tue
Se winds 15 to 20 kt...increasing to 20 to 25 kt with gusts up to 35 kt in the afternoon. Waves 1 to 2 ft...building to 2 to 3 ft in the afternoon. A chance of rain.
Tue Night
S winds 25 to 30 kt with gusts up to 40 kt. Waves 2 to 4 ft. Rain.
Wed
SW winds 25 to 35 kt with gusts up to 45 kt. Waves 2 to 4 ft. Rain in the morning...then showers likely in the afternoon.
Wed Night
W winds 25 to 30 kt with gusts up to 40 kt...becoming NW 20 to 25 kt after midnight. Waves 2 to 4 ft. A chance of showers in the evening.
Thu
NW winds 20 to 25 kt...becoming N 15 to 20 kt. Waves 2 to 3 ft.
Fri
N winds 10 to 15 kt. Waves around 2 ft.

Strait Shooter 24-11-2013 19:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeepFrz (Post 1398860)
LOL...don't let it get you down, its only castles burning.(Annie Lennox)

I believe Neil Young is responsible for that line.

cheoah 24-11-2013 22:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by boatman61 (Post 1399086)
Word of warning.. don't stay at the Town Dock if there's a wind shift W.. it blows the water outa the Sound and your stuck till the wind shifts again..
How do I know..:whistling:

Good call, boatman. With his draft he very well could get stuck for a while with SW winds.

The water is up right now, with the winds out of the NE, but soon it shifts S to 40kts! Perfect way to get stuck. Jeez these fronts are coming fast and furious. Escale, there is a lot of wind out of the N this time of year, it is a good time to be doing what he's doing.

Scoobert if you really want to try a very nice marina for $1.50/ft, check out River Dunes. They are just off the ICW/Neuse on Lower Broad Creek. Very nice showers and laundry, I think you will be very glad you stopped there- trust me. It's out of town but they have a courtesy car to get to Oriental, about 10 min. Be a nice place to ride out this next blow.

Locals eat at Brantley's for an affordable buffet or M&M, and they serve booze. The shrimp and flounder at Brantleys is pretty darn good. There's a seafood industry in Oriental so if you get the right stuff it is pretty fresh. The lady down the street raises soft crabs, they aren't in season now.

Beaufort grocery is a good restaurant in Beaufort, so is Sanitary in Morehead.

Do you have heat at anchor? The make this portable propane heater called Mr Heater that you screw 1lb cannisters into. $75

Mr. Heater Portable Buddy Propane Heater 9000 BTU, Model# MH9BX | Propane Portable Heaters| Northern Tool + Equipment

Pretty cold at the coast tonight...

scoobert 25-11-2013 02:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by annsni (Post 1399151)
Are you sure they refried it and didn't put it in the convection oven (which most restaurants would have done)?

i should have mentioned in the blog, it came back with grease running off it.

scoobert 25-11-2013 02:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by SailFastTri (Post 1399152)
Hey Scoob, enjoying your blog and rootin for ya!

It's cold as the proverbial witches you-know- here in NY so I checked your WX and it's not so good. Good thing you stayed inside. You'll see 18F tonight with winds in the 20's. (Hope you have heat). And it doesn't look so nice for you through most of the week, with strong headwinds on Tuesday-Wednesday so you might be wise to find a spot to stay-put for those couple of days. (The journey is where you are, so make it good) :thumb: . I've heard Pamlico Sound can have quite a nasty chop... BTW did you get some Dramamine for those pups?

thank you!
i heard it was nasty. i will be home the first week of december...yuck.
i actually regret staying inside. we would have been round the cape and in SC right now if we would have stayed outside.
we are in a marina, our two big AC's churning out heat. they are still cycling on and off, so its not that cold :) ....or maybe 28,000BTU is oversized :P.....
we will be staying in the ditch for another few days after beaufort. i told the wife we should go experience 9-12' seas with 18' sets, she declined.....
as for the pups, no drugs. they will adapt quicker without. It reminds me of our first FL camper trip. they were sick as.... well dogs... on the way down. when heading home they were wagging and smiling.
they are already getting use to it, they know where to sit, and how to sit. they always get nervous when i shut the engine off, they know we will be heeled over for a long time when i do that :)

scoobert 25-11-2013 02:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheoah (Post 1399332)
Good call, boatman. With his draft he very well could get stuck for a while with SW winds.

The water is up right now, with the winds out of the NE, but soon it shifts S to 40kts! Perfect way to get stuck. Jeez these fronts are coming fast and furious. Escale, there is a lot of wind out of the N this time of year, it is a good time to be doing what he's doing.

Scoobert if you really want to try a very nice marina for $1.50/ft, check out River Dunes. They are just off the ICW/Neuse on Lower Broad Creek. Very nice showers and laundry, I think you will be very glad you stopped there- trust me. It's out of town but they have a courtesy car to get to Oriental, about 10 min. Be a nice place to ride out this next blow.

Locals eat at Brantley's for an affordable buffet or M&M, and they serve booze. The shrimp and flounder at Brantleys is pretty darn good. There's a seafood industry in Oriental so if you get the right stuff it is pretty fresh. The lady down the street raises soft crabs, they aren't in season now.

Beaufort grocery is a good restaurant in Beaufort, so is Sanitary in Morehead.

Do you have heat at anchor? The make this portable propane heater called Mr Heater that you screw 1lb cannisters into. $75

Mr. Heater Portable Buddy Propane Heater — 9000 BTU, Model# MH9BX | Propane Portable Heaters| Northern Tool + Equipment

Pretty cold at the coast tonight...

looks like a good next stop. only about 45 miles away. The place we are at right now is unbelievable. its a hidden gem. i have never seen free golf carts before, but here.... FREE GOLF CARTS!!!!

the only issues with those propane heaters is the CO. it can kill you pretty quick. (ask the Nazis) it would be nice in the cockpit thou...... hmmm. i have my eyes wide open for a used wabasto. rare to see them come up thou. once the gen is rebuilt next spring we will have heat.

EDIT: why is there fuel price $1 a gallon more then it should be?

fjwiley1 25-11-2013 06:39

Scoobert...I know you are continually blasted with decision making but have you decided on where you may stay for the trip home...:)

fjwiley1 25-11-2013 06:41

PS: Fernandina, Jacksonville or St. Augustine, I'll be glad to come get you to Amtrak...:)

cheoah 25-11-2013 07:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoobert (Post 1399407)
looks like a good next stop. only about 45 miles away. The place we are at right now is unbelievable. its a hidden gem. i have never seen free golf carts before, but here.... FREE GOLF CARTS!!!!

the only issues with those propane heaters is the CO. it can kill you pretty quick. (ask the Nazis) it would be nice in the cockpit thou...... hmmm. i have my eyes wide open for a used wabasto. rare to see them come up thou. once the gen is rebuilt next spring we will have heat.

I have a CO alarm in the cabin, never any problem when I've used Mr Heater - except condensate. I'd really like an Espar, but I get by as-is and they are pricey. Keeps me away from the marinas when it gets really cold.

No idea why price is higher at R Dunes, although I'm sure they're trying to make it pay, and they are the only fuel dock before Oriental or maybe even Beaufort if draft restricted. The fuel definitely gets cheaper down towards Beaufort.... I don't burn enough diesel to pay attention to fuel prices on the water, but if you are, check out the fuel prices section of Cruisersnet.net Valvtect is pricier everywhere, but you're right, it is well above what you would have paid at Tidewater or Top rack.

As far as regretting going inside at Norfolk..... did you have the crew to continue on another day or two at sea?

These fronts are kinda wicked. Some years it is 70 degrees and all kinds of nice. It is getting very cold much earlier this year, and gales stacked on top of each other.

Sand crab 25-11-2013 07:59

There was something about Scoobies's coast guard rescue that didn't seem right with me. I went back to one of his threads and found this on post #4:

"thou i respect the coast guard, i firmly believe people have the right to be stupid and die.
If there was no coast guard that is what would happen, joe the cruiser, with piles of driftwood on deck, and an engine that does not work, and rigging made of old halyards, will end up swimming to shore."

and this:

"Do you think people would be so stupid on the water if there was no coast guard to come save them, some for the 3rd time?"

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...es-110989.html

As I recall you refused to jump into the water to unfoul your prop and called for a coast guard tow. How's that crow taste?

MNGator 25-11-2013 08:09

Scoob called SeaTow, a service he paid for. SeaTow must have some arrangement with USCG to handle certain tows.

I'm not a sailor yet and probably would have gone about this venture in a different manner, but why is it that people have to look for the nits to pick? Come on man!

Also, something I learned a long while ago, people posting on message boards and blogs are posting point in time snapshots. While it appears to us that he is providing a chronological listing of his decision making process, we are missing quite a few steps and input points. Give the man a break, he is on his adventure and has my support, you go Scoob, safe travels and have fun.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sand crab (Post 1399565)
There was something about Scoobies's coast guard rescue that didn't seem right with me. I went back to one of his threads and found this:

"thou i respect the coast guard, i firmly believe people have the right to be stupid and die.
If there was no coast guard that is what would happen, joe the cruiser, with piles of driftwood on deck, and an engine that does not work, and rigging made of old halyards, will end up swimming to shore."

and this:

"Do you think people would be so stupid on the water if there was no coast guard to come save them, some for the 3rd time?"

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...es-110989.html

As I recall you refused to jump into the water to unfoul your prop and called for a coast guard tow. How's that crow taste?

scoobert 25-11-2013 08:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sand crab (Post 1399565)

no sir.
i called my private, paid for, towing company.... who called the coast guard, two hours after i called him...
i am not sure why. i had 1 bar of cell service, and we could not really understand each other.
i was a bit stewed about it. i paid about $160 for unlimited on-water towing, and the coastguard showed up.....
i had a choice, either take a line from them, or bob in the water until i worked out why towboat was not there. i was NOT in danger, i simply needed to get to port. honestly, i could have unfurled the jib, and sailed to Florida. Did they rescue me? i guess...? was their presence necessary? no. were they professional, timely, and get me to port? indeed.
makes me wonder why i have boatus?

scoobert 25-11-2013 08:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNGator (Post 1399575)
Scoob called SeaTow, a service he paid for. SeaTow must have some arrangement with USCG to handle certain tows.

I'm not a sailor yet and probably would have gone about this venture in a different manner, but why is it that people have to look for the nits to pick? Come on man!

Also, something I learned a long while ago, people posting on message boards and blogs are posting point in time snapshots. While it appears to us that he is providing a chronological listing of his decision making process, we are missing quite a few steps and input points. Give the man a break, he is on his adventure and has my support, you go Scoob, safe travels and have fun.

thank you, and welcome to CF

lancelot9898 25-11-2013 08:35

Hey Scoob,

A couple of years ago when I was considering moving my Tayana into NC waters, I checked out maybe a half dozen marinas in the area and River Dunes was my top pick. BTW, there is a Tayana Owners Group that has a lot of good info if you haven't googled it yet. Good Luck on your journey.

a64pilot 25-11-2013 08:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoobert (Post 1399407)

Is this the place with the free golf carts? Nothing's free, you know that :)

SailFastTri 25-11-2013 08:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheoah (Post 1399544)
I have a CO alarm in the cabin, never any problem when I've used Mr Heater - except condensate. I'd really like an Espar, but I get by as-is and they are pricey. Keeps me away from the marinas when it gets really cold.

snip.

:thumb: Me too. I have 2 catalytic heaters (and a CO alarm) and the only issue is condensate. However, they do recommend you have some outside ventilation. I don't sleep with them on, and wouldn't recommend that. But you're right they're a good solution to take the morning chill off or other times when you need it.

If you're motoring a lot, and can utilize wasted engine heat a "bus heater" is also a great solution. HEATER CRAFT makes a variety of models for different installation options and it's hundreds not thousand$.

Don1500 25-11-2013 09:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoobert (Post 1398890)
Thanks Escale!
We are in belhaven, nc until tomorrow.
We found a friendly marina with nothing to sell but dockspace.
Dockmaster is the most friendly we have seen in weeks.
We are getting warm, and enjoying the sturdy ground.
Off to food lion, food (noting noteworthy) and relaxation.

Rainforest Marina? A little shallow on the entrance, very high fixed docks, but doable. They have a golf cart for you to go to Food Lion. The "food (noting noteworthy)" in Belhaven is basically what you will find at most "Mom & Pop" restaurants in the south, nothing great, but good.