Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   General Sailing Forum (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   Transit Time? NY-FL (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f2/transit-time-ny-fl-111080.html)

The Garbone 16-11-2013 17:01

Re: Transit Time? NY-FL

Scoob, if it makes you feel better on our first long trip I fouled the prop on a crab pot while trying to recover a winch cover that fallen overboard. Never did get that winch cover back but it was my first time ever over the side to unfoul the prop.

Hud3 16-11-2013 17:44

1 Attachment(s)
Scoobert's position at 1655 hrs (below). SE of Ocean City, New Jersey, and 27 nm from Cape May. Ocean City, Maryland is about 62 nm away. Which Ocean City are you talking about?

annsni 16-11-2013 18:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoobert (Post 1392435)
So the skipper on a cruise boat checks each item?
Or are people trained to do a job?
Two days i had shown the new crew how to stow lines.
One was ignored.

I know my hubby always asks where the lines are as soon as we leave the dock. All must be accounted for immediately or else the engine is in neutral.

Don1500 16-11-2013 18:27

If this is the extent of your problems you can count your blessings.

scuba0_1 16-11-2013 18:41

I have never seen such arm chair captaining if that's even a word. I have laughed every time I have opened this...

Coops 16-11-2013 18:48

My take is that it is actually a pleasure to see what has happened here. A lot of folks despaired of Scooby and told him not to go, me included. No matter if the naysayers were right or wrong, or if Scooby was being arrogant/pigheaded/reckless or just brave, he left anyway and then most folks since have done their best to help him on the way. He has become a fellow sailor and we are doing what we should all do and help one of those. :thumb:

Coops.

scoobert 17-11-2013 01:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don1500 (Post 1392650)
If this is the extent of your problems you can count your blessings.

We have had a few minor issues, expect the blog updates to start sunday.

We are 12 miles from ocean city md, that will be our refuge for the week i guess. I cannot see us making norfolk in time to avoid bad weather.

Alecadi 17-11-2013 01:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoobert (Post 1392812)
We have had a few minor issues, expect the blog updates to start sunday. We are 12 miles from ocean city md, that will be our refuge for the week i guess. I cannot see us making norfolk in time to avoid bad weather.

Good, you are learning fast.

scoobert 17-11-2013 02:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alecadi (Post 1392819)
Good, you are learning fast.

.... I guess not. Our canadian friends are headed for the cape, they are 60 miles south east of us. Cannot immagine it will be a fun ride....

carstenb 17-11-2013 02:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoobert (Post 1392822)
.... I guess not. Our canadian friends are headed for the cape, they are 60 miles south east of us. Cannot immagine it will be a fun ride....

Scoob - You're right. It almost certainly won't be a fun ride. When you are more experienced, you can make a run like that. You can't do it safely with the level of experience you currently have. When the weather turns really rough, even little things cascade into major problems that easily become life-theatening. Worse, they are almost always compounded by exhaustion and diminished judgement.

About a month ago, my wife and i sailed in a rally for cruisers. We sailed for 27 1/2 hours closed hauled, tacking against a 30 knot wind and 7 foot waves (baltic waves, very short and steep). When we got there, we had a nights sleep, sailed the rally, drank and danced until 1 a.m., went to bed, got up at 8:00 and sailed 18 hours back again, this time running on a broad reach with the 40 knot wind over our shoulders, waves were 10 feet and some were breaking.

We managed to do that, but only because we are experienced. We were completely wiped out when we got home, and we were starting to make mistakes the last 6 hours or so, simply because we were exhausted.

So play it safe - if you and your wife continue sailing, you'll have lots of opportunities to run out where the water is deep and the waves high.

You don't need to do it your first time out.

scoobert 17-11-2013 03:27

That and i need to break my dogs into the sea.
They were quite sick the first 24 hours out here.
This boat can handle far more then the crew can. Its proven that.

One thing i was correct on is my watch ability.
30+ hours is easy for me. The wife insists ob doing a shift, as does she force her sister. But i dont sleep, every hour i at least get up and check the radar.

Sailagain 17-11-2013 05:43

How do I get to your blog? I saw before you said its in your signature. But I am on an iPhone and signatures don't show in this app I am using. Can you post a link?

I have watched this thread with great interest. Pulling for you to make it!!!

Tantalus 17-11-2013 05:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sailagain (Post 1392879)
How do I get to your blog? I saw before you said its in your signature. But I am on an iPhone and signatures don't show in this app I am using. Can you post a link?

I have watched this thread with great interest. Pulling for you to make it!!!

In the iphone/ipad app therenshould be a place at bottome right hand corner that says "more" tap that and sellect "settings. You'll find an setting there for reading forums. Turn on signatures.

scoobert 17-11-2013 05:49

S/V Union Pacific

We are waiting for slack water putside ocean city md

jacob30 17-11-2013 06:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoobert (Post 1392409)

There are no other ugly dudes on my boat.

Can someone tell me, if i make ocean city, can i run down thru
Chincoteague bay and stay inside until the chesapeake bay? Would hate to go far north for the canal. Then i can scoot to norfolk before the weather turns too nasty. Storm starts tomorrow evening. I can be to ocean city by the am.

No you cannot. Go to Delaware Bay and take the canal to the Chesapeake with the forecast weather or wait.

Oh never mind looks like your past the Delaware.

lancelot9898 17-11-2013 06:33

Scoob, looking forward to reading your blog. Are your Canadian friends planning to cross the gulf stream or just stay inside around the cape? It was good to hear that you waited for slack water to enter the OC inlet.

Delancey 17-11-2013 06:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by bethflkys (Post 1392452)
Hi, again, scoobert,

Yes, you really do need to double-check everything. I do. My husband's great, knows engines, knows fishing, builds submarines for a living in fact, but he is new to sailing, new to cruising, and so I always am looking around and trying to be alert to things left undone. I used to handle all the lines myself, and coil and stow them while he was at the helm. He took some evening sailing lessons locally last summer, which was a big help to both of us. He can get annoyed when I ask if something routine (such as stowing lines!) was done, but I ask anyway. Or check on it myself. Even when he is totally familiar with this stuff, I will still be double-checking everything. As I hope he will.

You spent two days teaching them EVERYTHING, not just line stowage. That's a lot to absorb in two days. Some things won't sink in for awhile. I hope you don't blow the entire round the world adventure by belittling your crew from the get-go. I don't know if you are old enough to remember Reagan, but the one line I live by is TRUST, BUT VERIFY. It fits so many situations.

Ha, ha. Trust but verify. One of my all time favs!

tomdidit 17-11-2013 07:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoobert (Post 1392845)
This boat can handle far more then the crew can. Its proven that.

One thing i was correct on is my watch ability.
30+ hours is easy for me. The wife insists ob doing a shift, as does she force her sister. But i dont sleep, every hour i at least get up and check the radar.

Don't put yourself and your family in jeopardy with the long watches. 30 hrs is a long watch in behign conditions, but remember that as the wind and waves build the fatigue grows exponetionally. That is why most have shifts of a much shorter duration.

SailFastTri 17-11-2013 08:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoobert (Post 1392845)

Dramamine (original formula) is safe for dogs in proper dose. Depending on your dog size, you can divide a pill. Look at the safe human dose for 100 pounds and divide accordingly for your dog's weight.

It's got a bitter taste and they might reject it if you mix it with food, especially if your dog is a slow eater who chews every bite. I find it's best to fold it in cheese or meat. Here's my 1-2 method:
1) give a small taste without the pill, so dog knows what it is
2) give the hidden pill in another small treat, followed immediately (while still swallowing) by a third treat from the other hand.

The first and second must be small enough to swallow without chewing. When the dog sees the third taste coming it will gulp down the second without chewing -- to get the third ASAP. Dogs are stupid gluttons. :thumb:

scoobert 17-11-2013 08:35

Sitting in an oc dock

Don1500 17-11-2013 08:54

30 hr watches are possible, but not on a 30 day run. Sleep 4, watch 4, work 4(Cook, plot, keep the other watch company) is a good practice. You can go quite a few days like this, and with a crew of 4 it works better, if the crew can be trusted. (I have yet to trust anyone at the helm for more than a few minutes unsupervised on the ICW. They just don't know my boat or the way the bottom can come up and bite you.) I'm sure there are plenty of you sailors that I would trust, but I haven't sailed with you.

Guess when I left the helm to set up the anchor lines.
https://theroamingnomad.com/glitch.jpg

scuba0_1 17-11-2013 09:00

I always sail because I enjoy it and the company that goes with it. On our boat wet learned together and did it equally. Think about what your projecting to your help if your asked them to come and then don't let them do it. From what I can tell you all have the same experience. Share the responsibility with the crew. It's much more fun and relaxing that way..

bill352 17-11-2013 09:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoobert (Post 1392974)
Sitting in an oc dock

Which one?

scoobert 17-11-2013 09:41

Sunset

fjwiley1 17-11-2013 10:02

U R doin good Scoobert.......keep a Smilin.......:)

johnmcntsh 17-11-2013 10:11

Scoot, If you are forced to take the ditch we are in Carolina Beach NC. At the mouth of the Cape Fear river. If you get tired or just need a break from the water I messaged you my phone number.

evm1024 17-11-2013 10:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoobert (Post 1392435)
So the skipper on a cruise boat checks each item?
Or are people trained to do a job?
Two days i had shown the new crew how to stow lines.
One was ignored.

You can delegate authority but not responsibility Captain.

bill352 17-11-2013 13:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoobert (Post 1393041)
Sunset

Nice.

scoobert 17-11-2013 15:39

So! Here is the scoop, as our wifi is not working yet.

We came into the inlet in the most dense fog of my life, less then 50' viz. a nightmare.
Depth was fine. I never saw less then 12' at high tide.
No idea why anyone thought i would not make it in?????

Sunset is an awesome marina. Very clean.
Entrence is NOT on charts. I missed it in the fog and ended up in the commercial docks

Engine ran awesome. Changed the fuel filter. Didnt hiccup in over 20 hours.
Will update the blog with photos and all once the wifi is sorted.

SailFastTri 18-11-2013 05:26

Scoob -- Glad you made it, especially considering the fog.

No doubt the crew and the dog needed to get ashore, but most sailors consider it unwise to enter unfamiliar harbors during reduced visibility (e.g fog, after dark, heavy rain/snow). Much better to hold off entering until improved visibility makes it safer.

Missing the entrance to Sunset Marina is an example of things gone wrong due to the visibility issue. Contrary to your statement, it is on the NOAA charts. This time you're OK but it could have endangered the crew and cost you the boat.

BTW you wrote at one time that you'd never get AIS. I bet you would have liked to have it in that dense fog.

scoobert 18-11-2013 05:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by SailFastTri (Post 1393726)
Scoob -- Glad you made it, especially considering the fog.

No doubt the crew and the dog needed to get ashore, but most sailors consider it unwise to enter unfamiliar harbors during reduced visibility (e.g fog, after dark, heavy rain/snow). Much better to hold off entering until improved visibility makes it safer.

Missing the entrance to Sunset Marina is an example of things gone wrong due to the visibility issue. Contrary to your statement, it is on the NOAA charts. This time you're OK but it could have endangered the crew and cost you the boat.

BTW you wrote at one time that you'd never get AIS. I bet you would have liked to have it in that dense fog.

Seas were starting to pickup, and it was slackwater.
Option b was waiting 8 hours in the ocean waves for it to come back to slack.
Ais would have not helped at all. All the boats in the chanel were small, and fishing. We did a securta call before going in.

The channel was not on our 4 year old gps charts. After i missed it i navigated by google earth, lol.

SailFastTri 18-11-2013 06:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoobert (Post 1393740)
Ais would have not helped at all. All the boats in the chanel were small, and fishing. We did a securta call before going in.

The channel was not on our 4 year old gps charts. After i missed it i navigated by google earth, lol.

Sounds like you're coping just fine. I don't know what your chart plotter is, but if it takes add-on chips such as Navionics you'd find it a worthwhile investment if you're going to use that for blind navigation. (There's a West Marine pretty close to the marina right there in Ocean City. Their price is $199 for the entire US and Bahamas, and when you register your chart chip with Navionics you can get free updates via download for a year. They'll price-match if you want to save $10.) Stuff moves. Channels and buoys move.

scuba0_1 18-11-2013 07:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoobert (Post 1393740)

I'm guessing your assuming that since you couldn't see. 4 year old chars are old I'm sure a lot of things have changed since the large weather systems have gone through there.

scuba0_1 18-11-2013 07:15

Saw your blog.. keep updating with pics..

The Garbone 18-11-2013 07:16

Scoob, consider getting an iPad or iPhone if you do not already have. Isailor is free and the entire east coast can be downloaded for a reasonable fee. Once paid for all updates are free. Also get OpenCpn and a USB GPS for you laptop. The software and charts are free and you can keep them up to date for free. Another good app is Charts & Tides. It give pretty decent chart and current tables as well as has an Active Captain layer that can be updated before you leave and is pretty good for missing markers, shoaling, anchorages and marinas. I usually flip between the isailor and charts and tides. 4 year old maps, not a good thing.

SailFastTri 18-11-2013 07:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by SailFastTri (Post 1393792)
Sounds like you're coping just fine. I don't know what your chart plotter is, but if it takes add-on chips such as Navionics you'd find it a worthwhile investment if you're going to use that for blind navigation. (There's a West Marine pretty close to the marina right there in Ocean City. Their price is $199 for the entire US and Bahamas, and when you register your chart chip with Navionics you can get free updates via download for a year. They'll price-match if you want to save $10.) Stuff moves. Channels and buoys move.

Also, I've found that WM is very service-oriented. If you speak to the store manager on the phone and say you're cruising (no car), they'll usually deliver your order right to the dock. (I don't work for WM or Navionics, and have no business interest).

Sand crab 18-11-2013 07:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by SailFastTri (Post 1393726)
Missing the entrance to Sunset Marina is an example of things gone wrong due to the visibility issue. Contrary to your statement, it is on the NOAA charts

It's right here. Use the inset in the upper left hand corner.
Chart 12211

SailFastTri 18-11-2013 07:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by scuba0_1 (Post 1393799)
I'm guessing your assuming that since you couldn't see. 4 year old chars are old I'm sure a lot of things have changed since the large weather systems have gone through there.

Two hurricanes named Irene and Sandy, and a bunch of major Nor-Easters. What could change? :whistling:

On the plus side, he did check Google Earth, though perhaps after he entered and realized he was lost?

Sand crab 18-11-2013 07:59

1 Attachment(s)
Here.

Cuttyhunk 18-11-2013 08:06

I know someone else mentioned it, but if your wifi is good right now, download ActiveCaptain. I found it to be a godsend this past May when we brought our (new to us) boat home to Rhode Island from Edgewater, MD. It's free. It has the charts, plus markers with all sorts of useful info. The initial download takes a long time, so you really can't do it on cellular.

The reviews from other boaters of anchorages and marinas are really helpful. We had a couple of occasions where we needed to bail somewhere and were able to research which inlets had wicked currents and which would be relatively easy.

Try it, you will like it! And no flack from anyone -- you just read what others wrote, and then you can add your experience to help the next people (like whatever diver you used in Barnegat!) To make it work on ipad or iphone, you will have to buy an app…active captain itself uses Flash.