Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   General Sailing Forum (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   Transit Time? NY-FL (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f2/transit-time-ny-fl-111080.html)

The Garbone 13-11-2013 12:58

Re: Transit Time? NY-FL

No, but with the exception of certain mine sweepers all the watches are usually manned by experienced and qualified personnel.

Vasco 13-11-2013 13:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoobert (Post 1389921)
Yes, but do they then transit the icw?

Here's your question, Scoo. "So at 6.5 can i go in a norfolk ok? I have seatow, but do not wish to have to use it."

As you can see, you can get aircraft carriers into Norfolk so I think you should be able to get in if you stay in the channel!! There is no guarantee that you might not need to call Seatow. It's up to you not to stray and run aground.

WebWench 13-11-2013 13:30

Be careful at Norfolk....not just military vessels but also lots of container ships and loaded barges moving in and out of the Chesapeake ...you need to stay out of their way....AIS to see them early really helps.

annsni 13-11-2013 13:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBLittle (Post 1388729)
Why so much hatred for Scoobert?

Seems like he had a cruising dream. Bought his boat, livedaboard, refit it and is now taking off. Seems to be more than many of the armchair skippers here with their 28'er sitting at a mooring ball 1,000 miles away.

I say good for you Scoob and happy sailing.

No hatred but just shaking heads at someone who has posted enough for many to think he's getting in over his head.

cheoah 13-11-2013 15:44

Scoobert, people take boats like that down the ICW. You'll need to be careful, and read the nav alerts for each section on cruisers net. The great bridge lock was out of commission last I heard but check the above site. Someone recently posted that they did that section with 7' draft no problem. If you have not done much ICW time, there will be a learning curve. Keep the reds on your right, and try to see the big picture of channel marking, and learn to "see" the deep water. You'll likely use your seatow, just try not to hit the throttle when you bump or see the depth sounder drop. Slow and easy in skinny water, and kedge off if you bump. Hopefully.

Spend time each night planning the next day, and have your crew dialed in to active captain or cruisers net so they can assist with nav info.

With a little luck, you'll just make the same dumb mistakes we all have and be all the wiser. Just try not to anchor to windward of anyone and take extra care not to anchor too close. In other words, make your mistakes away from other boats :)

Another option once you're in the albemarle is to go to Manteo and Ocracoke, then to Beaufort. More sailing opportunity in the pamlico sound but beware of a brisk NE breeze and the steep chop, although off the wind you'll be fine. Its not a straight shot so you will take it from the quarter too as you round brant.

Alligator and pungo are plenty deep, I would not let the ICW scare you outside to Hatteras. There are some problem sections, but they are well known and documented. If you fly by the seat of your pants, you're screwed. Use the resources and you'll have an uneventful trip. I draw 4', so caveat is that I'm relaying others experience.

Jealous. I love being on the water this time of year. You've got a unique approach here, to be sure, and haters gonna hate. I like your honesty, and would love to see you get through the next few weeks unscathed. Save Hatteras for the trip north. Flying north in the stream is a super experience. Bioluminescent trails, stars, gorgeous water, great boat speed. Just not a prudent option for a new skipper heading south in mid November. Doesn't matter that you think you can do it, you probably can. Top your fuel tank off before you head offshore. Seems basic but some people skip it on coastal passages.

scoobert 13-11-2013 16:36

So then we should sail from nyc to norfolk?
Wish i could cut in closer to the cape....

Scott Berg 13-11-2013 16:40

Given the current weather I'd harbor hop down the NJ coast, take the C&D to Annapolis where you can make any repairs, then run the ditch at least as far as Charleston, SC
If the weather improves you could do the same and jump off @ Beaufort.

I'd want a larger crew to go around Hatteras this time of year. Been there done that

scoobert 13-11-2013 16:46

We want offshore time. And i do not want all those extra miles.

DeepFrz 13-11-2013 16:52

One thing is for sure, you have a whole bunch of people watching your back. When the crowd starts to scream sit up and take notice. Bon Voyage.

Vasco 13-11-2013 17:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoobert (Post 1390096)
We want offshore time. And i do not want all those extra miles.

What's your hurry scoob? Take your time, sometimes it's faster going inside than waiting a week for weather.

scoobert 13-11-2013 17:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vasco (Post 1390113)
What's your hurry scoob? Take your time, sometimes it's faster going inside than waiting a week for weather.

We want to be warmer.

cheoah 13-11-2013 18:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoobert (Post 1390091)
So then we should sail from nyc to norfolk?
Wish i could cut in closer to the cape....

Yes, or to cape may and through the bays. Inlets can be treacherous, stick with the big wide ones for commercial shipping for now. That's Chesapeake then Beaufort. I can understand your desire to skip the bays, it is a detour. It's an appropriate route though.

Once you get to Beaufort you can do a series of coastal hops that are perfect for developing passage making skills.

Vasco 13-11-2013 19:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoobert (Post 1390121)
We want to be warmer.

When you start in November, it's never warm. :)

geoleo 13-11-2013 19:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoobert (Post 1390121)
We want to be warmer.

:thumb:You said you had a cozy full cockpit enclosure---:viking:

Stu Jackson 13-11-2013 19:23

Scoobert, Fair Winds and Safe Journey. All the best to you and your crew.

Big or small jibs? Here's a good discussion (for after your lovely NYC meal!:))

Big Jib or Small Jib - SailboatOwners.com

geoleo 13-11-2013 19:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vasco (Post 1389929)
Here's your question, Scoo. "So at 6.5 can i go in a norfolk ok? I have seatow, but do not wish to have to use it."

As you can see, you can get aircraft carriers into Norfolk so I think you should be able to get in if you stay in the channel!! There is no guarantee that you might not need to call Seatow. It's up to you not to stray and run aground.

:banghead:You better pay close attention all the way -especially in the ICW!!!:viking:

scoobert 13-11-2013 23:29

We leave early this morning, after a jib change....
Dest: norfolk, va

carstenb 14-11-2013 00:39

Did I miss something?

Why are you asking about the Ditch? I thought you were going a couple of hundred NM offshore and making the run in the company of a couple of canadian vessels?

scoobert 14-11-2013 03:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by carstenb (Post 1390322)
Did I miss something?

Why are you asking about the Ditch? I thought you were going a couple of hundred NM offshore and making the run in the company of a couple of canadian vessels?

Our friend broke down, and a front is moving in for next week.
We are jaunting down alone, outside.
Going into norfolk, then out after the cape.

fjwiley1 14-11-2013 11:57

Thumbs up on Cheoah's comments above...good sound advise.....:)

WebWench 14-11-2013 15:05

Well, here is hoping that the cold weather, winds and seas are not too hard on Scoobert and crew as they began their voyage today!

Mary Flower 14-11-2013 23:43

It looks like Scoobert is going to have 15-20 kts on the nose into early Saturday then light and variable through most of Sunday. After that, it's going to get a bit tougher: 25-30 kts from the south. Hopefully, he'll have made it to Chesapeake Bay by then. The roughly 300 miles seems doable if his engine holds out during the light stuff.

Wishing him good luck and good sailing.

Jim

psneeld 15-11-2013 04:31

The winds on the 12-14th have been North clocking to West at 10-20 knots...perfect broad to beam reach to scream down the coast to Norfolk.

Hopefully he left on the 12th as stated in post #417.

Don1500 15-11-2013 07:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoobert (Post 1389921)
Yes, but do they then transit the icw?

Except for a small bit of Georgia I have traveled the ICW from Hampton to Stewart, Fl with a 6' draft 3 times, inside and out. It's doable but there are a few tight spots. McClellanville SC (Jeremy Creek entrance) to Isle of Palms, and Brunswick, GA to Jekyll Island (Jekyll Creek) are two notable areas. But most of the way there is about 10-12 feet.

My first trip down the Chesapeake was my best sail to date. Avg 5.5 knts and all at night (114 km). I found out that travel at night is not as bad as you think if you have the crew to keep alert. Watch the weather and outside can be the most relaxing, no need to worry about depth. Big ports are the best to come back inside (Savannah, Charleston, Brunswick), other inlets can be easy, too (St. Catherine's, St Helena) but some can be tricky (Wassaw, St. Lucie). Pick your times for those.

I. too, took to sailing without much experience and did some stupid things in the beginning. (Reefing the sails in a 25knt blow/w 5' seas without being tied in, for one).

If you have unlimited towing by SeaTow do not be afraid to use it. That and TowBoatsUS is the best insurance you can get. It pays for itself 10X over the first time you need it.

I have since done some great sails, spent some cool nights at anchor, and met many great people. I will never go back to a house. I am currently in Daytona, going to Cocoa December 1st.

fjwiley1 15-11-2013 08:23

Nomad.....I too have enjoyed this Journey with Scoobert...it has taken quite a turn from all the negatives at it's beginning to very positive experience for all. We look to each day for another exciting entry by Scoobert.
I ventured to your Blog, nice, saw you overnighted at Arlington Marina..my house/dock is next door.
Stay Safe.....

Don1500 15-11-2013 08:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by fjwiley1 (Post 1391352)
I ventured to your Blog, nice, saw you overnighted at Arlington Marina..my house/dock is next door.
Stay Safe.....

I know the dock. When I was there someone (you?) was sitting out there, it was a beautiful night. :thumb:

fjwiley1 15-11-2013 08:48

That would have been me on the North side of the Marina....hopefully the Tug Boats nor the "jokey trucks" across the river loading the Crowley Sea Barge didn't keep you awake...:)

scoobert 15-11-2013 08:54

Sitting in barnegat until i get a line out of the prop. All else is well.

Don1500 15-11-2013 09:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by fjwiley1 (Post 1391378)
That would have been me on the North side of the Marina....hopefully the Tug Boats nor the "jokey trucks" across the river loading the Crowley Sea Barge didn't keep you awake...:)

Just sailed down from Jekyll Island, solo, nothing kept me awake. :D

a64pilot 15-11-2013 09:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoobert (Post 1391383)
until i get a line out of the prop.

Been there, done that. A fillet knife is a decent tool, but you can cut yourself pretty bad. Don't ask.

Don1500 15-11-2013 09:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by a64pilot (Post 1391401)
Been there, done that. A fillet knife is a decent tool, but you can cut yourself pretty bad. Don't ask.

ME2, GF ran over the anchor bouy line, anchor hit prop, don't ask. :rolleyes:

jacob30 15-11-2013 13:36

If you stop in Norfolk I recommend Baypoint Marina as a good place to wait for a weather window. It s relatively close to the entrance to the Chesapeake and has decent shore amenities. There are also a few spots to anchor if you desire.

Don1500 15-11-2013 13:43

Just before Steel Bridge there is Top Rack Marina, free for the night if you have dinner in the restaurant. Expensive dinner, but cheap if you include a night in the marina.

scoobert 15-11-2013 13:50

I cant find a diver or marina to get the line out....

Paul Elliott 15-11-2013 13:55

Do you have a mask? How cold is the water? Can you swim? Once in the water can you get back on board?

scoobert 15-11-2013 13:58

Its 55 degrees. And yes on mask, no wetsuit.

Sailmonkey 15-11-2013 14:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoobert (Post 1391620)
I cant find a diver or marina to get the line out....

Suck it up big boy......you're a diver now!!!

In all seriousness, these things will happen at the worst possible time....

Vasco 15-11-2013 14:03

Wet suit, weight belt, fins and goggles. Part of the tool list on a cruising boat. Most of us have been there. Went through what looked like seaweed once, it turned out to be a thick polypropylene line with seaweed growing on it.

You don't need a diver. Sometimes if you get about thirty people on the bow the prop will come out of the water and you can get at it from your dink.

sabray 15-11-2013 14:14

It doesn't usually take long to cut stuff loose. Figuring out how it's wrapped and which way to work it loose takes the most time. Then it's cut but not you. Getting the bow down is a great idea. Calm water is best. If you can find the end put a tag line on it. One person pulls while another hand cranks the shaft in reverse. Okay unless it's double backed and really fowl. Check that the shaft hasn't slipped in the coupler. Good luck.

WebWench 15-11-2013 14:16

We had a dingy painter get caught around the prop of a boat sailing with us-- the DH dove under and cut it away....of course we were in the BVI. The only funny thing was his head ended up blue on to from rubbing the bottom paint!
Suggest you get a wet suit and fins....this could happen again and we often have to dive under to scrape bottom or check on things anyway. Certainly not a waste of money if you plan on cruising.