Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   General Sailing Forum (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   Transit Time? NY-FL (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f2/transit-time-ny-fl-111080.html)

scoobert 10-11-2013 18:46

Re: Transit Time? NY-FL

Quote:

Originally Posted by nial (Post 1387561)
I think scoobert is just pulling everyone's chain. Such hubris is worthy of the Titanic's owners. What on earth could go wrong? My boat is unsinkable, isn't it? He can't be serious.

I guess you have not clicked on my blog link?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Berg (Post 1387588)
I tend to concur; I know when I was getting ready to make a passage I didn't have nearly that much time to be online as he seems to be (and it isn't my first rodeo…)
guess we'll find out soon...

We are doing 30-40 mile hops down the hudson. We have wifi and 3g until we get offshore.

sabray 10-11-2013 19:10

Scoob,
Your already past your departure time. Either the time limit was fiction or your full of it.
Could you consider being coastal on your first south run! Sandy hook to Atlantic city is a nice go. You can play slots and do laundry. From there you jump to cape henlopen or cape may. Then you choose. Up the deleware and down the chessie . Or jump for Norfolk. If you choose the chesapeake route I terminate your bat terminals properly and sew up straps for your batteries.

SailFastTri 10-11-2013 19:27

He's got NW or W winds forecast all week. Perfect for the Jersey shore. With the short fetch he'll have good sailing and flat seas.

There are some gale warnings in the forecast tonight and strong winds earlier this week. Just don't carry too much sail. Be conservative and reef for the gusts, and you should have a good ride if nothing fails.

passat5919 10-11-2013 19:32

I know, most everyone was skeptical, but Scoobert doing what he planned, he's underway. I just visit marina and his boat, guess what-not there. Good Luck to him and his crew. Looking forward for updates.:thumb:

bobconnie 10-11-2013 20:07

:whistling:We hope he fixed or at least shored up that rotten push pit before he trys the main !! I like kidding him, but do worry about him and his crew ! Theres seemed to be so many things most of would have fixed before takeing off for open ocean sailing! I don't know if hes used all the sails as yet!! All the pics show only the genny in use !! Lot of cloth on a schooner that size, and he has a all lady crew ! Hope he go's with short sail at least at first!! Have fun Scoobie!!

cheoah 10-11-2013 20:24

Scoobert you said 40 degree nights were your goal? Just head for myrtle beach or Charleston, via Delaware and Chesapeake, and take sabray up on the battery help. Annapolis is a killer town to sail into... Very nice offer sabray, btw good for others to notice the very real danger of fire.

Plenty of adventure to be had, lots of learning I'm sure and all the adventure you may want, surfing down the Chesapeake as I imagine don did on his first run south. Nothing wrong with light winds too, just another opportunity to learn. Takes skill sailing off the wind, making your course.

Be reasonable with your goals within your time constraint. Any additional southing is a bonus. I think you're sailing with your wife? Smart money makes this nice and easy for her. Maybe it has been said already, I'm late to the party. From experience, should you want her to stick with it, make it all kinds of fun for a couple weeks - harder to do when you're figuring it all out. Will still be the adventure of a lifetime, and plenty of time to rock out some 200 mile days once you really connect with that boat. Not that women are shrinking daisies on a boat, but often not the driving force with our seagoing shenanigans. Either way, doing what she wants will pay off big time for ya pal. Maybe she wants to punch an inlet and make a run for it. Lucky boy.....

Then again you may have some really benign weather. We'll see. You've got a few days to get in the groove and watch the weather. Have fun - great to be on the move.

scoobert 11-11-2013 03:19

In case a few of you missed it, our goal, again, is nyc departure by thursday.
Tonight we are aiming south of newburgh. On schedule, fully legal, my diesel is purring nicely. Today will be sail training day.

Trojan Man 11-11-2013 03:24

hey scoobert. looked at your blog - nice boat.

we're on the chesapeake now and heading south next week.

shoot me a pm if you decide to take the inside route.

scoobert 11-11-2013 03:37

We plan to go inside the cape, but if weather looks great, and the crew is rested, we will go outside. Thats a lot of "if's" thou. If we can, we will stay outside the entire way.

scoobert 11-11-2013 05:25

When two scooners pass, is there a special wave?
https://www.cruisersforum.com/attachm...3579837bdf.jpg

Snore 11-11-2013 05:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoobert (Post 1387793)
Today will be sail training day.

:banghead:

fjwiley1 11-11-2013 09:09

Thumbs up to ya Scoobert......from all the negatives you've received, look how many positives are with you.......just remember to keep smilin.......Life is Good.....:)

BigBoater917 12-11-2013 06:43

Be careful with the vis today. Lots of big stuff coming up the river this morning.

MBLittle 12-11-2013 07:16

Why so much hatred for Scoobert?

Seems like he had a cruising dream. Bought his boat, livedaboard, refit it and is now taking off. Seems to be more than many of the armchair skippers here with their 28'er sitting at a mooring ball 1,000 miles away.

I say good for you Scoob and happy sailing.

marlinmike 12-11-2013 09:10

All the best, safe and happy journey!

DeepFrz 12-11-2013 11:41

What's the news scoobert?

scoobert 12-11-2013 12:12

Bouncing about at 79th street

RedFeather 12-11-2013 12:53

It's lovely there. Enjoy!

scoobert 12-11-2013 13:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedFeather (Post 1389058)
It's lovely there. Enjoy!

We are at capital grille now, real suffering :p

RedFeather 12-11-2013 13:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoobert (Post 1389066)
We are at capital grille now, real suffering :p

Hah! We should all be subjected to the suffering of fantastic steaks and good waitstaff! Poor you. :)

scoobert 12-11-2013 17:05

Plan now is to head out of nyc tomorrow evening.
We had an inspection by the rigger, who said there was only one issue, our jackline. So we beefed it up alot! Now it will hold me.

DeepFrz 12-11-2013 20:30

Sounds great. Have a good day tomorrow.

bobconnie 12-11-2013 21:43

:thumb:Scoobert!! Good on ya for the rigging inspection!! Im sure yall feel better about things now!! Haveing had a couple of schooners ourselfs, both a junk rig and a staysail rig like yours, I know how heavey the rigging needs to be to carry the sails yall have available to you! But one things for sure she should make great day to day runs when yall get used to what she likes! Thats a powerfull rig, have fun and take it easy !!:D

scoobert 13-11-2013 04:41

Powerful indeed. The rigger said to ditch the 150% genoa, and use the 75.
He said it was a good idea being new. Also going to run a single reef in both sails the whole way. By the forecasts it looks to be a calm 4 days if we need them.

carstenb 13-11-2013 05:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoobert (Post 1389572)
He said it was a good idea being new. Also going to run a single reef in both sails the whole way. By the forecasts it looks to be a calm 4 days if we need them.

Scoobert

Startig off with reefs in is a VERY good idea, especially since you are inexperienced. Your sailing sped will not decrease by much, if at all, and your comfort will increase by huge amounts. Not to mention your safety.

As you gain experience, both with sail trim and with the weather, you'll know when it is advisable to shake the reefs out and when to leave them in.

We sail many nautical miles each year (roughly 1500) in virtually all conditions, and we still practice the saying "reef often, reef early". Sailing high lat. in the Baltic means 20+knot weather is the norm, 30+ knot weather is not unusual, and 40+knot weather is something you'll run into at least a couple of times on your summer holiday.

And you'll find that shaking out a reef is easier than taking one in

carstenb 13-11-2013 05:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoobert (Post 1389572)

Checked the Cape May New Jersey forecast - winds of say 20 knots today, decreasing over the next couple of days. Monday 25+knots.

You'll need to be aware of the temperatures, my forecast says between 5 and 10 degrees C (41 to 50 degrees F). If you're running with the wind, that's fine, if you're running a broad reach or beating up into it, it will be a cold bit of entertainment.

Make sure you are dressed appropriately (including thick gloves).

good luck

scoobert 13-11-2013 05:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by carstenb (Post 1389584)
Checked the Cape May New Jersey forecast - winds of say 20 knots today, decreasing over the next couple of days. Monday 25+knots.

You'll need to be aware of the temperatures, my forecast says between 5 and 10 degrees C (41 to 50 degrees F). If you're running with the wind, that's fine, if you're running a broad reach or beating up into it, it will be a cold bit of entertainment.

Make sure you are dressed appropriately (including thick gloves).

good luck

:D it snowed and blew as we came down the hudson.
We have the full enclosure up and are dressed like Alaskans.
40 will be swimtrunk weather to us :p

Andrew B. 13-11-2013 05:34

I wish you, and yours all the best Scoob.

Write when you can.

fjwiley1 13-11-2013 07:38

Scoobert you should have a Big Smile on your face...you have made a lot of friends on this Forum that are fully supportive....you have accomplished a lot of good things on you boat....keep smiling and enjoy your journey with your family and friends.....:)

marlinmike 13-11-2013 07:54

Looks like favorable weather, albeit cold, but I guess that's always relative. Safe passage!

Seagull111 13-11-2013 08:09

Scoob,do you have AIS transmit.

scoobert 13-11-2013 12:01

Am i able to get into oregon inlet? I am 6.5 deep.

No ais, and will never have it.

jacob30 13-11-2013 12:08

A no go for Oregon Inlet or Hatteras inlet. Chesapeake Bay or Beaufort are your options. Too many shoals and at times very rough in either of those inlets for a sailboat with your draft.

scoobert 13-11-2013 12:12

So norfolk or i go around the cape?

jpsgirl96 13-11-2013 12:17

Hey Scoobert - Not sure where you are today. If you don't have them, the Waterway Cruising Guides (and their accompanying website) can be invaluable to have aboard for the trip you are on. We've done the southbound twice - once a combination of inside and outside, once mostly inside with the occasional outside passage, because we had more time. We draw 5.5' and were very glad to have the detailed guides. Good for the times you can't get to us here on the Forum! Helped us make decisions about many things, including safe and (ahem) less safe inlets. Also check out Salty Southeast (not sure if I'm allowed to post the link here? It's at cruisersnet.net) for very good up to the minute (or hour or day) info about the various challenges, anchorages, marinas, fuel stops, etc.

jacob30 13-11-2013 12:18

I would go around the cape but stop in Norfolk until you have 2-3 days of ideal weather to get down to Beaufort on the outside. The cape is a very dangerous place for bad weather as evidenced by the thousands of wrecks there and named the Graveyard of the Atlantic. Real nice when the weather is good! The safest bet would be to take the ICW down to Beaufort if your draft will allow it.

lancelot9898 13-11-2013 12:25

activecaptain.com will give some good into about the inlets, marinas and anchorages along your path. If you decide not to go the ICW down to Beaufort, then by all means wait in Norfolk for a good weather window for a trip around the cape.

scoobert 13-11-2013 12:32

So at 6.5 can i go in a norfolk ok? I have seatow, but do not wish to have to use it.

Vasco 13-11-2013 12:43

If the warships can get into Norfolk ok I think you'll be fine. :)
https://blogs.defensenews.com/interce...-FA760-440.jpg

scoobert 13-11-2013 12:51

Yes, but do they then transit the icw?