Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   General Sailing Forum (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   Transit Time? NY-FL (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f2/transit-time-ny-fl-111080.html)

johnmcntsh 28-11-2013 14:39

Re: Transit Time? NY-FL
 
Anchors away +1. Wilmington is to far up the Cape Fear River from The ICW if time is an issue. Wrightsville Beach or Carolina Beach, if you get that far south, are both OK. Moorings are available in CB as well. State Park in Cb has transient dock with shower and laundry etc. A bit of a walk to food and restaurants but quiet and pretty much empty. Wrightsville has protected anchorage which we use a lot and is very nice.

scoobert 28-11-2013 16:31

Re: Transit Time? NY-FL
 
We hopped off marker 86. Going to be a cold night, burrr

johnmcntsh 28-11-2013 16:53

Re: Transit Time? NY-FL
 
It is damn chilly here tonight. BRRRRRR

Radonic 28-11-2013 18:53

Re: Transit Time? NY-FL
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by scuba0_1 (Post 1401492)
I know after all that discussion at the beginning that it was impossible to make that time.

It is documented and Sat tracked. Ask Scoobie he saw it first hand.

NYC to Georgetown Bahamas, non-stop in 6.5 Days. Nov. 15th to 22nd... Over 1,200 Nautical Miles. Done many of these always offshore and always fast.

Also did NYC to Jacksonville, in 5 days and 3 hours.

Fort Lauderdale to Charleston in 2 days and 4 hours. 300 mile days due to the Gulf Stream push...

Blogging aboard Black Diamond! Sailing logs of Black Diamond, a Jeanneau Sailboat.

Vasco 28-11-2013 18:58

Re: Transit Time? NY-FL
 
No offense Scoob, but this thread reminds me of painting by numbers. Best to stay inside till Charleston. You're nearly there.

bill352 28-11-2013 19:04

Re: Transit Time? NY-FL
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Radonic (Post 1402584)
It is documented and Sat tracked. Ask Scoobie he saw it first hand.

NYC to Georgetown Bahamas, non-stop in 6.5 Days. Nov. 15th to 22nd... Over 1,200 Nautical Miles. Done many of these always offshore and always fast.

Also did NYC to Jacksonville, in 5 days and 3 hours.

Fort Lauderdale to Charleston in 2 days and 4 hours. 300 mile days due to the Gulf Stream push...

Blogging aboard Black Diamond! Sailing logs of Black Diamond, a Jeanneau Sailboat.

I am not going to argue with someone who has a lot more experience than I have, and I certainly take your word for it, but - consistent 200+ mile days at 8+ knots in a 39' monohull? How do you do that?

bill352 28-11-2013 19:05

Re: Transit Time? NY-FL
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by scoobert (Post 1402510)
We hopped off marker 86. Going to be a cold night, burrr

Good time to snuggle up.

Did you go all the way down that channel, or just far enough to be out of the ICW?

Vasco 28-11-2013 19:10

Re: Transit Time? NY-FL
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bill352 (Post 1402597)
I am not going to argue with someone who has a lot more experience than I have, and I certainly take your word for it, but - consistent 200+ mile days at 8+ knots in a 39' monohull? How do you do that?

You need a production boat. The "bluewater" boats don't work. Jeanneau or Beneteau. :)

Kevin84 28-11-2013 19:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vasco (Post 1402604)

You need a production boat. The "bluewater" boats don't work. Jeanneau or Beneteau. :)

Oh god. Not another one of these threads. ;)

bill352 28-11-2013 19:35

Re: Transit Time? NY-FL
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vasco (Post 1402604)
You need a production boat. The "bluewater" boats don't work. Jeanneau or Beneteau. :)

:) indeed!

Radonic 28-11-2013 19:39

Re: Transit Time? NY-FL
 
"Consistent 200+ mile days at 8+ knots in a 39' monohull? How do you do that?"

Choose the right time of year for prevailing winds, have the right weather, usually 20 to 30 knots on the aft quarters (This trip we were usually on a beam reach.) , surfing boat, have the Lord with you! And play the averages, some days are only 150 mile days others are 250 miles days, usually averages around 200 mile days.

As long as winds are at least 15 knots, its hard to keep this boat below 7 knots. We also fly an asym spinnaker on the light wind days. On this trip last week, one day before the Cape we had under 10 knots of wind and still kept the boat moving at least 6 knots. We are constantly trimming.

We are a deep keel, light boat, with a rig that is 60 feet above water line. Our surfing record was 19.5 knots in a 60 knot blow, 30 footer, bare poled, fortunately the swells were very far apart. This was right after a dead calm. Not this trip, but a previous one.

Blogging aboard Black Diamond! Sailing logs of Black Diamond, a Jeanneau Sailboat.

geoleo 28-11-2013 19:47

Re: Transit Time? NY-FL
 
sounds like BS to me :banghead: oh I forgot Scooby was your witness LOL

johnmcntsh 28-11-2013 20:03

Re: Transit Time? NY-FL
 
Not to dispute your NMPD, I was not there. Just sounds like a lot of work for a cruising vessel.

Boatguy30 28-11-2013 20:28

Re: Transit Time? NY-FL
 
30 foot seas right after a dead calm? Now the BS meter is pegged. Was with you till then.

DeepFrz 28-11-2013 20:43

Re: Transit Time? NY-FL
 
How about in a 30' boat? This is kind of like the 45 deg. angle, oh wait, it was 35 deg. wasn't it...


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 21:26.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.