Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   General Sailing Forum (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   Transit Time? NY-FL (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f2/transit-time-ny-fl-111080.html)

bene505 24-11-2013 07:20

Re: Transit Time? NY-FL
 
John Galt, +1 on the boat name.

Scoobert,

Been following this thread. We're rooting for you. Please continue to be safe.

Regards,
Brad

SailFastTri 24-11-2013 07:35

Re: Transit Time? NY-FL
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by passat5919 (Post 1398518)
I was there in Coyemans landing marina to check on my friend Dave who's Mason 43 was docked right next to your boat. You been working on deck teak and my friend was adjusting rig and put new sail. You asked if one of us professional to help you with roller furling or so... You have nice boat but man there is a lot of work to make her shine... Never mind, the boat doing it's job and that's most important. Again, keep going, you inspired me. I actually found the boat. It'll take few weeks to get it all done, so I can say then I boat owner. Good Luck!

Congrats on being a boat owner. :thumb:

Edit: removed politically charged comment on health care

Joe from ny 24-11-2013 08:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sondor (Post 1398628)

The man appropriately points out that service is lacking at some finer establishments and suddenly *he* becomes the one with ill manners?

I'm pretty well-traveled myself and understand exactly what he means... NY isn't cheap, but you spend reasonable money and you get stellar service. Many places don't seem to get that part of the equation. The part where you go the extra mile for the patrons. Not because you *have to* but because you honestly appreciate their patronage.

That said, I LOVE the south in general for their hospitality at all price-points, but again, I do understand where he's coming from where restaurants will put out a white table-cloth and serve some warm sourdough thinking that's all it takes to charge premium prices... :whistling:

It is true about service in some less populated areas. We went to Carlisle Pa to the car show, and ate in a local place. We ordered a shell steak, and they brought us a rib eye steak. They swore hat it was a shell steak. We eat in all the best steak places in NYC, and a shell steak always has the bone. She got so snippy, claiming that the chef assured her that it was a shell steak. The hostility, along with the poor service, left us wishing for NYC again.

fjwiley1 24-11-2013 09:00

Re: Transit Time? NY-FL
 
Scoobert......you are doing good, making good time at a reasonable, smart, pace.

Obviously the weather front has everything cool today and expected to be cooler tonight and in the morning (for us Floridians with thin skin at least). This is normal for us this time of year but still good.

The "Positives" now outweigh the "Negatives">>>keep a Smilin>>>>>:)

scoobert 24-11-2013 09:05

Re: Transit Time? NY-FL
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe from ny (Post 1398300)
Can't you post the story using the same connection method you used to send this post?

Its my iphone. Hard to type 500+ words on this.

scoobert 24-11-2013 09:09

Re: Transit Time? NY-FL
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by passat5919 (Post 1398518)
I was there in Coyemans landing marina to check on my friend Dave who's Mason 43 was docked right next to your boat. You been working on deck teak and my friend was adjusting rig and put new sail. You asked if one of us professional to help you with roller furling or so... You have nice boat but man there is a lot of work to make her shine... Never mind, the boat doing it's job and that's most important. Again, keep going, you inspired me. I actually found the boat. It'll take few weeks to get it all done, so I can say then I boat owner. Good Luck!

Dave is an awesome and friendly guy.
I love his hull paintjob.

Yes, i have much to do, but structurally the boat is flawless.
Cosmetics is the biggest part.

scoobert 24-11-2013 09:15

Re: Transit Time? NY-FL
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fjwiley1 (Post 1398814)
Scoobert......you are doing good, making good time at a reasonable, smart, pace.

Obviously the weather front has everything cool today and expected to be cooler tonight and in the morning (for us Floridians with thin skin at least). This is normal for us this time of year but still good.

The "Positives" now outweigh the "Negatives">>>keep a Smilin>>>>>:)

It is super cold. We have anchored out two nights. Now we are trying a marina for this evening and tonight! Warm with fresh bread tonight! Updates on the blog tonight too! My fake trip goes on! ;)

avb3 24-11-2013 09:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe from ny (Post 1398798)

It is true about service in some less populated areas. We went to Carlisle Pa to the car show, and ate in a local place. We ordered a shell steak, and they brought us a rib eye steak. They swore hat it was a shell steak. We eat in all the best steak places in NYC, and a shell steak always has the bone. She got so snippy, claiming that the chef assured her that it was a shell steak. The hostility, along with the poor service, left us wishing for NYC again.

Being from cattle country (if it ain't Alberta, it ain't beef) I had never heard the expression "shell steak".

Google being my friend, it tells me via Wikipedia that it is more commonly known as New York strip steak, Kansas City strip steak, strip loin, Delmonico, boneless loin or
boneless club steak.

It goes on to say: The (strip) steak may be sold with or without the bone.

As we say here in cattle country, same poop, different pile.

DeepFrz 24-11-2013 10:06

Re: Transit Time? NY-FL
 
Quote:

My fake trip goes on!
LOL...don't let it get you down, its only castles burning.(Annie Lennox)

Alecadi 24-11-2013 10:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoobert (Post 1398821)
It is super cold. We have anchored out two nights. Now we are trying a marina for this evening and tonight! Warm with fresh bread tonight! Updates on the blog tonight too! My fake trip goes on! ;)

LOL!!!!!!!

escale 24-11-2013 10:24

Re: Transit Time? NY-FL
 
Scoobert:

I'm just guessing.
I believe you are either anchored off near Alligator River or near the Alligator River Marina. Anchored for two days in the cold weather waiting for better weather. I believe if you can head South through Croatan Sound and Palmico Sound and continue to Beaufort, DE in the next few days you will find more supply accommodations and maybe better restaurants. The winds will be against you, but you will have an open weather window until late Tuesday. From there it will be getting very windy continuing to Wednesday. I believe every here agrees that you would be travelling mostly upwind this time of year.

From Beaufort, Your choice will be back out to open sea towards Cape Fear or continue on the ICW towards Georgetown and Winyah Bay. I'm not sure of the channel depth, but I'm sure locals and GC can give you tide and depth information. You will need to check your local weather and will have to make those decisions, as you are the captain. I'm closer to the west coast, and not standing on your deck but I am checking the weather on the Internet.

I'm rooting for you. Once you get to the Carolinas, it will be much warmer.

I wintered once in Charleston SC and found the weather quite pleasant compared to RI, (the only other place I wintered on the East Coast).

Good Luck,

--- Escale

scoobert 24-11-2013 10:44

Re: Transit Time? NY-FL
 
Thanks Escale!
We are in belhaven, nc until tomorrow.
We found a friendly marina with nothing to sell but dockspace.
Dockmaster is the most friendly we have seen in weeks.
We are getting warm, and enjoying the sturdy ground.
Off to food lion, food (noting noteworthy) and relaxation.

scoobert 24-11-2013 15:02

Re: Transit Time? NY-FL
 
blog update 1
S/V Union Pacific : IC(dubbihyaa)

Snore 24-11-2013 15:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoobert (Post 1399007)

Just read the update.... Keep it up!

All the best.

scuba0_1 24-11-2013 15:25

this is the first time I've actually plotted where you are on active captain typed top rack marina. you're missing so much cool stuff to look at just in that area could take weeks. what's the reason for the speed. are you going to finally take a look when you get to Tampa... sailing is about the journey not the destination


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:38.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.