Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   General Sailing Forum (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   Transit Time? NY-FL (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f2/transit-time-ny-fl-111080.html)

WebWench 14-11-2013 15:05

Re: Transit Time? NY-FL

Well, here is hoping that the cold weather, winds and seas are not too hard on Scoobert and crew as they began their voyage today!

Mary Flower 14-11-2013 23:43

It looks like Scoobert is going to have 15-20 kts on the nose into early Saturday then light and variable through most of Sunday. After that, it's going to get a bit tougher: 25-30 kts from the south. Hopefully, he'll have made it to Chesapeake Bay by then. The roughly 300 miles seems doable if his engine holds out during the light stuff.

Wishing him good luck and good sailing.

Jim

psneeld 15-11-2013 04:31

The winds on the 12-14th have been North clocking to West at 10-20 knots...perfect broad to beam reach to scream down the coast to Norfolk.

Hopefully he left on the 12th as stated in post #417.

Don1500 15-11-2013 07:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoobert (Post 1389921)
Yes, but do they then transit the icw?

Except for a small bit of Georgia I have traveled the ICW from Hampton to Stewart, Fl with a 6' draft 3 times, inside and out. It's doable but there are a few tight spots. McClellanville SC (Jeremy Creek entrance) to Isle of Palms, and Brunswick, GA to Jekyll Island (Jekyll Creek) are two notable areas. But most of the way there is about 10-12 feet.

My first trip down the Chesapeake was my best sail to date. Avg 5.5 knts and all at night (114 km). I found out that travel at night is not as bad as you think if you have the crew to keep alert. Watch the weather and outside can be the most relaxing, no need to worry about depth. Big ports are the best to come back inside (Savannah, Charleston, Brunswick), other inlets can be easy, too (St. Catherine's, St Helena) but some can be tricky (Wassaw, St. Lucie). Pick your times for those.

I. too, took to sailing without much experience and did some stupid things in the beginning. (Reefing the sails in a 25knt blow/w 5' seas without being tied in, for one).

If you have unlimited towing by SeaTow do not be afraid to use it. That and TowBoatsUS is the best insurance you can get. It pays for itself 10X over the first time you need it.

I have since done some great sails, spent some cool nights at anchor, and met many great people. I will never go back to a house. I am currently in Daytona, going to Cocoa December 1st.

fjwiley1 15-11-2013 08:23

Nomad.....I too have enjoyed this Journey with Scoobert...it has taken quite a turn from all the negatives at it's beginning to very positive experience for all. We look to each day for another exciting entry by Scoobert.
I ventured to your Blog, nice, saw you overnighted at Arlington Marina..my house/dock is next door.
Stay Safe.....

Don1500 15-11-2013 08:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by fjwiley1 (Post 1391352)
I ventured to your Blog, nice, saw you overnighted at Arlington Marina..my house/dock is next door.
Stay Safe.....

I know the dock. When I was there someone (you?) was sitting out there, it was a beautiful night. :thumb:

fjwiley1 15-11-2013 08:48

That would have been me on the North side of the Marina....hopefully the Tug Boats nor the "jokey trucks" across the river loading the Crowley Sea Barge didn't keep you awake...:)

scoobert 15-11-2013 08:54

Sitting in barnegat until i get a line out of the prop. All else is well.

Don1500 15-11-2013 09:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by fjwiley1 (Post 1391378)
That would have been me on the North side of the Marina....hopefully the Tug Boats nor the "jokey trucks" across the river loading the Crowley Sea Barge didn't keep you awake...:)

Just sailed down from Jekyll Island, solo, nothing kept me awake. :D

a64pilot 15-11-2013 09:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoobert (Post 1391383)
until i get a line out of the prop.

Been there, done that. A fillet knife is a decent tool, but you can cut yourself pretty bad. Don't ask.

Don1500 15-11-2013 09:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by a64pilot (Post 1391401)
Been there, done that. A fillet knife is a decent tool, but you can cut yourself pretty bad. Don't ask.

ME2, GF ran over the anchor bouy line, anchor hit prop, don't ask. :rolleyes:

jacob30 15-11-2013 13:36

If you stop in Norfolk I recommend Baypoint Marina as a good place to wait for a weather window. It s relatively close to the entrance to the Chesapeake and has decent shore amenities. There are also a few spots to anchor if you desire.

Don1500 15-11-2013 13:43

Just before Steel Bridge there is Top Rack Marina, free for the night if you have dinner in the restaurant. Expensive dinner, but cheap if you include a night in the marina.

scoobert 15-11-2013 13:50

I cant find a diver or marina to get the line out....

Paul Elliott 15-11-2013 13:55

Do you have a mask? How cold is the water? Can you swim? Once in the water can you get back on board?