Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   General Sailing Forum (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   Transit Time? NY-FL (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f2/transit-time-ny-fl-111080.html)

georgec 07-11-2013 22:29

I think the boats in trouble are part of the Salty Dawg Rally to the Caribbean.

Don1500 08-11-2013 13:44

Re: Transit time? NY-FL

Quote:

Originally Posted by georgec (Post 1385590)
I think the boats in trouble are part of the Salty Dawg Rally to the Caribbean.

Ah, YEP.

FTA: "The sailboats were in an area where large storms Thursday spun off winds above 25 mph, with ocean swells of 5 to 8 feet. At least two of them were part of the Salty Dawg rally headed for the British Virgin Islands."

keepondancin 08-11-2013 13:55

How do you go inside at Cape Hatteras safely in a sailboat?

Vasco 08-11-2013 14:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by keepondancin (Post 1386110)
How do you go inside at Cape Hatteras safely in a sailboat?

Enter ICW at Norfolk, VA., back into the ocean at Beaufort, NC.

keepondancin 08-11-2013 14:23

I have been following the Caribbean 1500 Rally, and this year they seem to be having an uneventful trip so far, not like the last couple of years that had loss of lives. I just checked the Salty Dawg site, and really quite a difference. There has been dismastings and injuries requiring CG assistance. All the inspections and seminars seem to make a difference. An boat inspected by many different people seem to pick up what the owner or others miss. Compare that to the Salty Dawg, which is uninspected, and you can see that preparation makes the difference. I would advise the OP read the news and logs on the two rallies website, and see what he is in for. The weather is only going to get more difficult, and without proper preparation and skills could possibly be the next rescue we read about.

keepondancin 08-11-2013 14:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vasco (Post 1386125)
Enter ICW at Norfolk, VA., back into the ocean at Beaufort, NC.

That is what I was implying. There is no safe "going in at Cape Hatteras", at least with a sailboat. The big sport fish boats and commercial fishing boats do it.

hellosailor 08-11-2013 17:30

"winds above 25 mph, with ocean swells of 5 to 8 feet."
And who would have expected that, in the North Atlantic, in the winter.

Oh, wait a minute, it isn't winter yet and we can argue whether that's the "North" Atlantic too, I guess.

This is what happens when you go to sea without saying St. Brendan's Prayer, or making offerings to the older gods.

Still, I guess neither Aeolus nor Poseidon has much say about undersea volcanos. I wonder who's in charge of that...Who's the Pele of the Atlantic?

scoobert 08-11-2013 18:17

Quote:

winds above 25 mph, with ocean swells of 5 to 8 feet
who considers this bad weather? i have been off Maratha's Vineyard in my 22' powerboat in the same conditions. i consider 35' breaking waves bad conditions.

tomdidit 08-11-2013 18:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoobert (Post 1386244)
who considers this bad weather? i have been off Maratha's Vineyard in my 22' powerboat in the same conditions. i consider 35' breaking waves bad conditions.

Careful what you wish for. There is a big difference between 8' swells and 8' breaking waves. There is not anyone on this board with experience of any kind that wants to ever see 35' breaking waves on anything less than a large cruise ship.

You're being niave if you think you know otherwise!

Hud3 08-11-2013 18:30

Seems like most were from the Salty Dawg Rally. Here'e a more detailed report: Coast Guard rescues 4, assists others off Va., NC coasts

scoobert 08-11-2013 18:31

think i know? no, i have read about our sister ship in the Tasman sea. they encountered 35' breaking seas, and came out without damage. i guess i am fortunate, our yacht is build for 7 seas.

psneeld 08-11-2013 18:56

but are you?

pbiJim 08-11-2013 19:21

Quote:
winds above 25 mph, with ocean swells of 5 to 8 feet
Quote:

Originally Posted by scoobert (Post 1386244)

I've been off the Cape, just north of the Vinyard in those conditions, in a Sunfish, & enjoyed it. Did it in a little 15' CC plenty of times too.

tomdidit 08-11-2013 20:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoobert (Post 1386257)
think i know? no, i have read about our sister ship in the Tasman sea. they encountered 35' breaking seas, and came out without damage. i guess i am fortunate, our yacht is build for 7 seas.

You cannot possibly be for real! I'm done, I will wait for the movie.

DeepFrz 08-11-2013 20:08

So when do you leave Scoobert?