Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   General Sailing Forum (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   Transit Time? NY-FL (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f2/transit-time-ny-fl-111080.html)

scoobert 01-11-2013 03:11

Re: Transit time? NY-FL

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbiJim (Post 1379609)
Unless all the rum & cute girls are on the slow boat.

the only women on the trip will be on my boat :P
its not as great as it sounds, its my wife, and sister in law.

scoobert 01-11-2013 03:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomdidit (Post 1379610)
Safe trip, but could you do SPOT so we can watch?

the spot is about $400 for the first year, with tracking updates. enough donations, and i will get one!

Hud3 01-11-2013 04:30

2 Attachment(s)
Scoobert,

Here's some NOAA info on ocean currents. To expect that you'll not have any adverse currents is just a little bit optimistic. Even if you avoid the main current of the Gulf Stream, you should be aware that it spins off many eddies. You will lose 1 or 2 knots SOG if you get on the wrong side of one of them.

Ocean Prediction Center

scoobert 01-11-2013 05:04

that is exactly what my charts show.
we will head to the last marker off NJ, then in a rhum line for Cape Hatteras.
according to the images you just posted we will be in the dark blue the entire way.
if the weather is bad on the cape, we will go inside, a no-brianer, then head down to FL, still being in the blue.

atoll 01-11-2013 05:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoobert (Post 1379792)
that is exactly what my charts show.
we will head to the last marker off NJ, then in a rhum line for Cape Hatteras.
according to the images you just posted we will be in the dark blue the entire way.
if the weather is bad on the cape, we will go inside, a no-brianer, then head down to FL, still being in the blue.

who would have thought it was that easy in november:flowers:

Vasco 01-11-2013 05:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by atoll (Post 1379806)
who would have thought it was that easy in november:flowers:

On paper it is. :)

psneeld 01-11-2013 08:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vasco (Post 1379826)
On paper it is. :)

even easier in the internet...:D

marlinmike 01-11-2013 08:35

you have to start someway, all the best, safe passage.

GILow 01-11-2013 10:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by carstenb (Post 1379714)
Maybe yours has won a couple of handicapped races - but that does not make it a racing boat. Just proves it has a really high handicap in comparison with the other boats in the race.

So true, we won a significant 35 mile race across the Gulf St Vincent against 45+ footers in ideal conditions in our 20 foot Austral. This was DESPITE the fact that they had all run out of booze and gone to bed by the time we finished. And I sure don't call that Austral a racing boat, even if her name is engraved on a 100 year old trophy.

Matt

tomdidit 01-11-2013 10:35

So your wife, your sister in law, and you are your crew? You have already said that your wife has even less experience than you, does your sister in law have sailing experience? And, does she know what she is getting into?

Alecadi 03-11-2013 00:04

The more I'm reading your posts, in that thread or in others, or your blog, and seeing the pictures, I'm convinced neither you nor your boat are ready for this trip offshore.
Every time somebody give you the sound advice to postpone until you are ready you are putting your head in the sand.
Are your kids coming with you?
I suppose so.
Don't play with their lives.
For their sake don't do it.
Please.

scgilligan 05-11-2013 09:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alecadi (Post 1381199)
...sound advice to postpone until you are ready you are putting your head in the sand.
Are your kids coming with you?...

I am not an experienced sailor, so my words mean nothing here..but, seems to me that this endeavor can only end badly, either way it goes. One way is for something bad to happen since this person seems to not care about the advice of others. The other way is for the trip to go off without a hitch and he gets a more inflated ego. That will result in bigger trips without proper experience..

scoobert 05-11-2013 09:34

This will not be an eventful trip. It will be a fun 3 days offshore, followed by 2 weeks of coastal cruising.

annsni 05-11-2013 09:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoobert (Post 1383357)
This will not be an eventful trip. It will be a fun 3 days offshore, followed by 2 weeks of coastal cruising.

So NOT 5 days.

scoobert 05-11-2013 09:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by annsni (Post 1383363)
So NOT 5 days.

We are going inside the cape.
But nj to the cape is outside.