Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   General Sailing Forum (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   Transit Time? NY-FL (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f2/transit-time-ny-fl-111080.html)

scoobert 31-10-2013 08:05

Re: Transit time? NY-FL

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Berg (Post 1378992)
I've read this thread with amazement… CHARDONNAY, with her 49' waterline and 78' main mast and a ton of sail, barely averages 200 miles per day in trade wind conditions… into the Stream, we'd figure 170 MAX and average about 150.

And again, we like to think we know what we're doing!!

There will be almost no contrary current on the line we are taking from nj to the cape.

hellosailor 31-10-2013 08:14

On Black Diamond's own blog Ed says: "We anticipate 6-8 days at sea, non-stop."
of course he also mentions a five day trip, but waiting at Cape May for a couple of days for a weather window, or adding a couple of days if someone wants to stay closer inshore running down the Florida coast.

Five "days", roughly 120 hours, for a trip from NYC to southern Florida, roughly 1100 miles assuming you're not tacking all the way (which could make that into 1500 sea miles very quickly)...You need a reasonably BIG fast boat to maintain nine knots or so, all the way, day and night, for five days.

Which could be why he's planned for seven days, plus or minus one.

A trip that fast doesn't give a man proper time to get his scrimshaw finished, does it? That hardly seems right.

captain465 31-10-2013 08:21

:banghead::popcorn::whistling::confused:

Snore 31-10-2013 10:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoobert (Post 1378996)
I told my crew member 8-10 days. We have food, enough for 90 days. 250 gallons of water. 200 12 oz bottles of water. I have to work in 30 days. So as long as we hit tampa in less then a month....

I am confused.

You are provisioning for 90 days X 3 people X 3 meals. That is 810 servings. In all likelihood, you will not use most of it. How are you provisioning? Yes I know often one foes not eat 3 meals, but you still have to get the calories into the body.

marlinmike 31-10-2013 10:31

Weather really changes around here in November, fasten your seatbelts it will be a very bumpy ride.

scoobert 31-10-2013 10:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snore (Post 1379090)
I am confused.

You are provisioning for 90 days X 3 people X 3 meals. That is 810 servings. In all likelihood, you will not use most of it. How are you provisioning? Yes I know often one foes not eat 3 meals, but you still have to get the calories into the body.

Our bilge is full of canned foods. On top of that is 50# or so of rice, suplies to make about 30 loaves of bread.

laika 31-10-2013 11:08

As a bit of an outlier..did a trip from NYC to So FL years ago with some buddies on a 37' O'Day and it took us 2 months to make it down! Granted that we left in Dec and didn't know what we were doing...

But I would think a month should certainly be sufficient :thumb:

GILow 31-10-2013 14:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by boatman61 (Post 1346414)
That was supposed to be a witticism to Vasco's 'Freeboard'...
"No its not free... $40/day for food and board..."
Ahhh... fergit it... if ya gotta explain it aint funny...:banghead:

I got it:thumb:

psneeld 31-10-2013 15:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoobert (Post 1378999)
There will be almost no contrary current on the line we are taking from nj to the cape.

That singular line proves just about everyone's point....

Unless you sail to a point south of Miami east of the Bahamas (or through them)...you will have contrary current at some point.

psneeld 31-10-2013 15:09

oooopppps...went back and read Post #1...

here's your quote...

"i have heard there is some place in the Carolinas that you should take the ICW because the ocean in that area is crazy, where is that? "

that equally proves just about everyone else's points....

scoobert 31-10-2013 15:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by psneeld (Post 1379396)
oooopppps...went back and read Post #1...

here's your quote...

"i have heard there is some place in the Carolinas that you should take the ICW because the ocean in that area is crazy, where is that? "

that equally proves just about everyone else's points....

And thats why i am going with people who have done the trip before

psneeld 31-10-2013 15:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoobert (Post 1379405)
And thats why i am going with people who have done the trip before

If they agree with the 5 day estimate and no contrary current then they haven't done th trip before...

If they don't agree with your 5 day estimate..then they can tell you about the scary places in NC....

scoobert 31-10-2013 15:38

We will be checking the weather before the cape, and decide before we arrive.
I have a currents chart for the atlantic. I can tell you we have none by looking at that.

tomdidit 31-10-2013 15:43

OK, I am confused. You state you are going with two Canadians that have done the trip before. You also state that your crew "member" knows the timing. So, are the Canadians on your boat or are you three boats heading south with seperate crews?

If they are in their own boats, and are experienced crews and know how to sail, how are you going to keep with them?
Whatever, good luck~

scoobert 31-10-2013 15:47

3 boats.
They will stay within a few miles of me.