Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Our Community (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f129/)
-   -   Liveaboard Documentary? (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f129/liveaboard-documentary-110159.html)

filmbuff 26-08-2013 16:31

Liveaboard Documentary?

Hey everyone!

So here's the deal, I'm a filmmaker, younger youtube generation (Boo), but I've made traditional features as well. I've been obsessed with the idea of living aboard since I was 19 and in the army and after 6 years of idiocy my brain finally decided to connect those 2 dots...

Why not make a movie about the process?

We could set a timeline and destination, like a year to get to the Bahamas, then film the whole process (boat purchase, moving aboard, learning to sail, explaining to family, working from the boat, and eventual push off), we could do interviews with longer term liveaboards to talk about the lifestyle, the ups and downs...

Best case it could introduce a new generation of people to the water, at the very least it's something to show families to help them grasp WHY someone would chose a life like that.

Still working the specifics together, but what do you guys think? looking for feedback from anyone; please give opinions!

scoobert 26-08-2013 16:45

Re: Liveaboard Documentary?

there are only about 8,000 of these on youtube now....

Teknav 26-08-2013 17:02

Hiya Scoob! :thumb: ++ If liveaboards were so glamorous... I'd better not say anything more about it! :D

Mauritz
Trying to behave, but it is so difficult!

o_q 26-08-2013 17:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teknav (Post 1323036)
Hiya Scoob! :thumb: ++ If liveaboards were so glamorous... I'd better not say anything more about it! :D

Tell us more :popcorn:

svseachange 26-08-2013 17:24

I think it is a wonderful idea. When you live aboard there is always a little drama, adventure and interesting characters. Great material for a film. Before I lived aboard I would have paid to see such a film.

Teknav 26-08-2013 17:26

Oh hush-up O_Q! :) All I can say is that live-aboard is NOT for everyone; especially not for me. Circumnavigation cruising is not for me either. I'd rather fly commercially to a nice vacation destination, then locally charter either a float-plane or a monohul for my adventure. ...and one more thing...I'd rather not own any properties; planes, boats, real estate, etc... :D

Mauritz
Behaving so well...where did I put my freakin' halo?

scoobert 26-08-2013 17:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by shanedennis (Post 1323052)
I would have paid to see such a film.

please send payment to my donate button!

Liveaboard life: minimalism in a tiny home at sea - YouTube
Low-rent liveaboard life in high-rent San Francisco Bay - YouTube
Living Aboard A Boat - YouTube
Living Aboard a Catalina 36 Sailboat brought to you by Tiny House Talk and Relax Shacks - YouTube
Part 2 Interview of Liveaboard Sailor at Rio Dulce Guatemala - YouTube

svseachange 26-08-2013 17:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoobert (Post 1323058)
please send payment to my donate button!

Wonderful, but now I live aboard I want to watch documentaries about those crazy landlubbers!

Teknav 26-08-2013 17:35

Sending a $3 bill to support Scoob's live-aboard lifestyle fund! How many $3 bills do you need? :D

Mauritz
His Majesty Teknav The Great, is pictured on the $3 bill!

scoobert 26-08-2013 17:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teknav (Post 1323064)
Sending a $3 bill to support Scoob's live-aboard lifestyle fund! How many $3 bills do you need? :D

Mauritz
His Majesty Teknav The Great, is pictured on the $3 bill!

whos face is on it?:banghead:

Triton318 26-08-2013 17:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teknav (Post 1323056)
All I can say is that live-aboard is NOT for everyone; especially not for me. Circumnavigation cruising is not for me either.

Which, begs the question: Why are you here? HA HA HA JK

Teknav 26-08-2013 17:56

Hiya Triton! I'm here for the entertainment. Occasionally, a topic picks my interest and I give it a best educated shot at answering it. The best part of being here, are fellow sailors; many of them, I enjoy their company and their wit! (They won't let me get away with anything!) :D

Mauritz
Knows and sees all...

ozskipper 26-08-2013 18:18

Go for it. If you do it well enough you may be able to eek out a very small living from it. There are lots of freebees on YT as others have mentioned. However they are all at varying levels of professionalism. Some simply earn the money that YT pays for running those annoying adds. But go for it. If nothing else you will have a trip of a lifetime and your video will be your memories for ever.

Hudson Force 26-08-2013 18:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by filmbuff (Post 1323008)

Still working the specifics together, but what do you guys think? looking for feedback from anyone; please give opinions!

I'm sorry to see that ten of the post following your inquiry are negative pointless quips. Few topics are original, but that does not prevent opportunities for a creative person to produce something of value or interest. There's no honor, risk, or substance to saying, "No, it's been done before." There's no cause for boast or bravado in "I say... I know.... I'm sure.... or That's the way it is...."

barnakiel 26-08-2013 18:43

The concept is great.

BUT

When you make a documentary the way you described, it is no longer a documentary. Call it a para-documentary, or, more apt, reality TV (reality YV, in this case).

A documentary documents something actually happening. You want to film something done on purpose (the purpose being making the "documentary").

I am glad you understand the difference.

I like the idea very much. It will not sell. But it will help you build skills. Go for it.

b.