Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Our Community (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f129/)
-   -   A Decent "Bluewater Boat" List (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f129/a-decent-bluewater-boat-list-109391.html)

capttman 17-08-2013 05:08

Hey I look at it this way, most boats can do a circumnavigation if you look at it as a bunch of day trips strung together... Who cares how long it takes you have to get a weather window sooner or later

Kenomac 17-08-2013 05:23

Re: A Decent "Bluewater Boat" List

Silly list in many ways, as it seems to only be USA inclusive. No Oysters that I could quickly see on the list even though over a 100 who have done the trip in addition to the 36 doing it now. If the list was more real world based, I think you'd see more catamarans, Hallberg Rassys and other European models included. Even more Hans Christians, as I know of one friend making the trip very slowly on a HC43.

The Australians seem to be all over the world on boats, primarily catamarans it seems.

Jim Cate 17-08-2013 07:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenomac (Post 1314537)
Silly list in many ways, as it seems to only be USA inclusive. No Oysters that I could quickly see on the list even though over a 100 who have done the trip in addition to the 36 doing it now. If the list was more real world based, I think you'd see more catamarans, Hallberg Rassys and other European models included. Even more Hans Christians, as I know of one friend making the trip very slowly on a HC43.

The Australians seem to be all over the world on boats, primarily catamarans it seems.

The list being USA inclusive is not too surprising since it is a compilation of West Coast based circumnavigators. One would not expect to find non-USA vessels listed. It is published by Latitude 38 which is a San Francisco Bay area based magazine.

Jim

David_Old_Jersey 17-08-2013 07:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Cate (Post 1314654)
The list being USA inclusive is not too surprising since it is a compilation of West Coast based circumnavigators. One would not expect to find non-USA vessels listed. It is published by Latitude 38 which is a San Francisco Bay area based magazine.

Jim

+1

And I don't read that as being stereotypically parochial ("they also make boats in Yourope?" :p) - just aimed at their readership, be stupid to do otherwise.

Gadagirl 17-08-2013 09:16

About half way down this page there is quite a longer list;
Mahina Expedition - Selecting A Boat for Offshore Cruising

and an extensive conversation here,
Updated Offshore Cruising Boat List - January 2008 - SailNet Community

Celestialsailor 17-08-2013 11:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gadagirl (Post 1314758)
About half way down this page there is quite a longer list;
Mahina Expedition - Selecting A Boat for Offshore Cruising

and an extensive conversation here,
Updated Offshore Cruising Boat List - January 2008 - SailNet Community

I've seen the Mahina list before and think it's a good one since that's all John Neal has ever done is cruise.

SkiprJohn 17-08-2013 12:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by rebel heart (Post 1312333)
Rather than rattle off what is and what isn't, I thought this list is rather telling. It's Latitude 38's partial list of circumnavigators. I'd submit that if you can see a boat appear several times on this list, well, there you go.

Latitude 38 - West Coast Circumnavigators' List

A quick check:

- 0 catalinas
- 2 hunters
- 2 jeanneaus
- 3 beneteaus

- 11 valiants

Lots of Cals there, Columbia, Coronado, Cascade but no Catalinas. Interesting list. Even has a wood Folkboat and a Contessa 26.

svmariane 17-08-2013 13:27

Just to add to the mix, check these
10 Best Sailboats: You Have Not Heard Of (But Should Know) - Waves Jordan Yacht Brokerage

That they included my Celestial 48 didn't influence me to make this post whatsoever.... :whistling: :whistling:

Krogensailor 17-08-2013 15:29

I made the list! Kadey/Krogen 38

SkiprJohn 17-08-2013 15:47

I really never considered circumnavigation with my fin keel Catalina 22 anyway. Probably could have in my Mariner 35 Garden ketch but it was never a goal of mine. Could still do it in my current Cascade if I ever get it seaworthy again. It still wouldn't be a goal of mine.