Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Our Community (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f129/)
-   -   A Decent "Bluewater Boat" List (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f129/a-decent-bluewater-boat-list-109391.html)

rebel heart 14-08-2013 21:00

A Decent "Bluewater Boat" List

Rather than rattle off what is and what isn't, I thought this list is rather telling. It's Latitude 38's partial list of circumnavigators. I'd submit that if you can see a boat appear several times on this list, well, there you go.

Latitude 38 - West Coast Circumnavigators' List

A quick check:

- 0 catalinas
- 2 hunters
- 2 jeanneaus
- 3 beneteaus

- 11 valiants

nbourbaki 14-08-2013 21:23

Not knowing or caring too much about specific brands or boats I am most impressed by the sheer variety of boats that have done it! I am surprised how few catamarans. Would this look different if not west coast based?

rebel heart 14-08-2013 21:40

Re: A Decent "Bluewater Boat" List

Quote:

Originally Posted by nbourbaki (Post 1312341)
Not knowing or caring too much about specific brands or boats I am most impressed by the sheer variety of boats that have done it! I am surprised how few catamarans. Would this look different if not west coast based?

I'm sure it would, and it's quite US-centric as well (obviously).

I agree on the variety though, everything from 90' custom steel schooners down to little Nor'Sea 27's.

One thing I thought was weird was some of the <2 year circumnavigations. That's pretty quick.

neilpride 14-08-2013 21:43

This list is just a small portion of the cake,,, Mostly a west coast sailors list, and we know this dudes dont choose often a bene for a RTW, anyway, whats the point???:whistling:

rebel heart 14-08-2013 21:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by neilpride (Post 1312347)
This list is just a small portion of the cake,,, Mostly a west coast sailors list, and we know this dudes dont choose often a bene for a RTW, anyway, whats the point???:whistling:

The countless "what's a good bluewater boat" question.

rebel heart 14-08-2013 21:49

Two Albin Vegas 27's!

neilpride 14-08-2013 21:57

Okey, in that case i pick the swan 65!!:D not kiding , the west coast is a popular place to wacht truly wonderfull boats... Look mama a westsail 28 doing a circun:deadhorsebeat:navigation!! wow Nuts!!!!

o_q 14-08-2013 22:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by neilpride (Post 1312355)
:deadhorsebeat:navigation!! wow Nuts!!!!

Are you hitting that horse in the nuts?

zboss 15-08-2013 12:18

I am surprised there are no Cabo Ricos' Listed :(

beverley 15-08-2013 12:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by rebel heart (Post 1312333)
Rather than rattle off what is and what isn't, I thought this list is rather telling. It's Latitude 38's partial list of circumnavigators. I'd submit that if you can see a boat appear several times on this list, well, there you go.

Just out of curiosity, how many Hans Christian 36's?

:whistling:

(Not that I can actually whistle!)

Celestialsailor 16-08-2013 16:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by zboss (Post 1313021)
I am surprised there are no Cabo Ricos' Listed :(

me too since I will be looking at them in a few years.
But really...there have been coastal craft that have done it under 30. But...experienced and a little crazy types.

OutOfControl 16-08-2013 16:27

"Just out of curiosity, how many Hans Christian 36's?"

:whistling:

beverly, looks like 0 from the list provided at Latitude 38.

Earl, Harley & Jennifer / Sausalito / 2004-06 / Hans Christian 41 / Manu Kai

Ellison, Buddy & Ruth / San Francisco / 1996-2007 / Hans Christian 48 / Annapurna

Gillespie, Ty & Helen / San Francisco / 1990-96 / Hans Christian 38 / Azura

OutOfControl

barnakiel 16-08-2013 16:53

I think the list would be hundreds of makes long. Maybe an easier task make a list of boats that are not decent. (?)

I would be very reluctant to say a boat is a decent bluewater boat only because someone rtwed in one.

b.

Rhapsody-NS27 16-08-2013 17:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by rebel heart (Post 1312346)
down to little Nor'Sea 27's.

I saw two of them on the list, but I've heard there are 4 total that have gone around. One of them, I believe, may have taken 10yrs or so. Not sure of the others.

rebel heart 16-08-2013 19:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by barnakiel (Post 1314213)
I think the list would be hundreds of makes long. Maybe an easier task make a list of boats that are not decent. (?)

I would be very reluctant to say a boat is a decent bluewater boat only because someone rtwed in one.

b.

I think the value of this list is that "decent" and "sub par" are pretty subjective, so rather this is a rather empirical list that although not complete or finite by any means, is at least some hard facts in a land of opinion.

And to whomever asked "how many hc 36's", there's a union polaris 36 on the list which is the same boat, and then several other hans christians. The 36 was a very small production run.