Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   General Sailing Forum (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   Keeping Watch at Night ? (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f2/keeping-watch-at-night-109186.html)

HappyMdRSailor 12-08-2013 10:23

Re: Keeping Watch at Night ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by goboatingnow (Post 1308991)
huh, whats happening when you're head is in the galley?

dave

Shouldn't this be in the "I pee in the sink thread"???:whistling:

Cheechako 12-08-2013 10:27

3 hours worked pretty well for us. Always used an egg timer set for 15 minutes. Person on watch got cat naps alt of the time. When you scan the horizon (well.... use your radar!) scan a long time... sometimes you see or think you see a tiny light... then not sure, then yeah.... pretty soon ... it's a tanker!

HappyMdRSailor 12-08-2013 10:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by boatman61 (Post 1308937)
... they were all below having cheese and wine... I was drifting and down below making cheese and toast...
Conclusion... CHEESE IS DANGEROUS...:banghead:

I had no idea.... I am going to implement new protocol on my boat...

From now on, all cheese shall be suspended from a spare halyard and is only consumed on deck...
:D

barnakiel 12-08-2013 12:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by rebel heart (Post 1309032)
Personally I don't see the difference between being engrossed in a book in the cockpit or down in the cabin. If you stick your head up and scan around every ten minutes and the rest of the time you're checked out, who cares where the rest of the time is?

(...)

Personally, I do not allow my crew to read books on watch. No console games, no mp3 players, no joints, no beer, etc. Only the off watch one is free to do what they please but even they are required to get good rest so that they are 100% ready to grind if such a need arises. While on watch, everybody (on our boat) is expected to watch, keep eye on the boat and, if required, steer.

That's the general rule, I do agree that when the weather is good, boat sailing fine and the horizon has been scanned, it is OK to go down below to use the head, grab a jacket or put the kettle on.

Remember how the sat Gypsy Moth on that reef?

b.

jackdale 12-08-2013 13:23

The case law:

Quote:

In 1984, Granholm v. TFL Express, the court found a single-handed racer negligent for taking a thirty-minute nap.

The yacht, Granholm, was participating in a qualifying sail for a transatlantic race. With the boat on autopilot, and with all required navigation lights showing, the owner scanned the horizon for ships, set a thirty-minute time, and went below for a nap. Meanwhile, the TFL Express was on autopilot, making eighteen knots; the mate was plotting her position, and the "lookout" was making tea. The Express came up from behind and ran the Granholm down.

The owner of the Granholm sued the Express for her failure to maintain a proper lookout (Rule 5), and for neglecting, as the overtaking vessel, her obligation to keep clear (Rule 13). The court agreed, but placed equal blame on the single-hander, saying, "The obligation to maintain a proper lookout falls upon great vessels and small alike."
50-50 responsibility. But he was still run down.

Kenomac 12-08-2013 14:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by wkstar (Post 1308730)
Thanks svmariane
Maybe I am ahead of the curve,......When the rule is that any boat out past the sight of land Must have ( %%%%% ) to prevent collisions
The seas will be safer

The ship in active motion should be the one most in need of active watch

We currently have a rule in place to make the seas a safer place, that requires every vessel to keep an active watch. The bigger issue here is that sometimes idiots choose to ignore the rules and endanger the rest of us.

The equipment available isn't FOOL PROOF including radar and AIS and never will be. So I guess the rest of us responsible boaters will need to keep a watch out for the FOOLS among us.

boatman61 12-08-2013 14:17

Be warned... the FOOL is sailing from France to Gibraltar this September... so get outa the fookin way ya wally...:devil:

Kenomac 12-08-2013 14:24

I'm guessing the OP is one of those armchair expert sailors.... someone who's never experienced a close encounter with a container ship suddenly appearing out of nowhere, a tug with a barge or a fishing vessel... none of the above would ever give way for some moron needing a nap... or for anyone else.

perchance 12-08-2013 14:43

Technically if no one is on watch for whatever reason could you consider yourself a vessel"not under command"?

displaying the proper lights or day marks may not help much but in extremis it would be better than nothing.

An undesired side effect of an auto pilot is to allow the watch keeper to gaze at his navel and eventually nod off.

boatman61 12-08-2013 14:51

[QUOTE=perchance;1309430]Technically if no one is on watch for whatever reason could you consider yourself a vessel"not under command"?

displaying the proper lights or day marks may not help much but in extremis it would be better than nothing.QUOTE]

Uhoh...:rolleyes: get yer flak jacket on mate... I get beat up at least once a year over solo sailing... All these near misses folk have its a wonder I'm still alive...:p

JPA Cate 12-08-2013 14:53

Well, Kenomac, and everybody else,

I think it's wrong to characterize single handers as "idiots". I personally know a few, and a few more from their writings. So I say, live and let live where they are concerned. Most cruisers, however, doublehand. Some sometimes take on crew.

The first time we overtook an unlit sailboat at night, I was really angry about it, and I made a lot of "Ahoy!" noise, shined lights on the cockpit, and stuff, and kept it up. Eventually two people came on deck as we sailed on by. I really wish people wouldn't turn off their nav lights at night. Still, one can see them, IF one is keeping watch. And if their lights failed under way, as can happen, then someone should bloody well be on watch to light their sails.

If the singlehander will give me the opportunity to avoid him or her, fair enough. When he used to singlehand race, Jim used to fly the #1 flag, white triangle with a red circle. If singlehanders would just fly them from the backstay, I bet most cruisers wouldn't have so much trouble with cruising singlehanders. However, if you go and get in the way of one down in the southern latitudes, he'll probably slice you in two!...unless you are keeping a careful watch.

It is encumbent on you to preserve the wellbeing of your ship and her crew, and because of the Colregs, you're supposed to watch out for the other guy as well. Please do it!!

Ann

thomm225 12-08-2013 14:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenomac (Post 1309399)
We currently have a rule in place to make the seas a safer place, that requires every vessel to keep an active watch. The bigger issue here is that sometimes idiots choose to ignore the rules and endanger the rest of us.

The equipment available isn't FOOL PROOF including radar and AIS and never will be. So I guess the rest of us responsible boaters will need to keep a watch out for the FOOLS among us.

Again for folks that cannot seem to grasp the idea that some folks do sail singlehanded, you have to sleep sometime. You can call folks idiots and fools all you want, but it's still a fact.

Shall I list those that have sailed around the world alone or across oceans alone for you so you might understand?

goboatingnow 12-08-2013 15:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by perchance (Post 1309430)
Technically if no one is on watch for whatever reason could you consider yourself a vessel"not under command"?

displaying the proper lights or day marks may not help much but in extremis it would be better than nothing.

An undesired side effect of an auto pilot is to allow the watch keeper to gaze at his navel and eventually nod off.

That is not the definition of NUC. The COLREGS do not allow the crew to absent themselves at any time !

Dave

Ps I've no barney with singlehanders, but it does break the rules

boatman61 12-08-2013 15:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by thomm225 (Post 1309443)
Again for folks that cannot seem to grasp the idea that some folks do sail singlehanded, you have to sleep sometime. You can call folks idiots all you want but it's still a fact.

Shall I list those that have sailed around the world alone or across oceans alone for you so you might understand?

Mate... I would not bother... one cannot explain a concept utterly alien to most folk...
None.. or few have likely ever been in a collision so the imagination runs wild... that's why many will look for 2 or 3 crew when the trip could easily be done by a couple... safety in numbers..
The only reason I take crew on deliveries is because the owner and their insurance company demand it... and believe me... I've had more heart stopping moments with crew and owners than I've ever had solo... lifes so much easier asleep... ahahahahaaa

dugout 12-08-2013 15:25

The USCG enjoys purposed ambiguity and the flexibility it offers.
Admiralty law spends most of the time in the grey, far from the extremes of black and white.
To the point let’s take apart rule 5:

Lookout
Every vessel shall at all times maintain a proper look-out by sight and hearing as well as by all available means appropriate in the prevailing circumstances and conditions so as to make a full appraisal of the situation and of the risk of collision.

Define “proper”??? Is it conditional? Why is the word used here?

Define “appropriate in the prevailing circumstances and conditions” Is this conditional? What is the purpose of the additional verbiage?

For those who wish to stand on a rule, end all, one might choose one with more stability. Rule 5 is certainly written “conditionally”. I’m sure the standards are different between the southern approach to Ambrose and 300 miles east of Bermuda, right?

boatman61 12-08-2013 15:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by goboatingnow (Post 1309447)
That is not the definition of NUC. The COLREGS do not allow the crew to absent themselves at any time !Dave

Oh..!! Well that's okay then... I'm the Skipper..:p

Small aside.. AWOL is desertion.. that's a hanging offense..:whistling:

jackdale 12-08-2013 15:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by perchance (Post 1309430)

When a vessel is NUC the vessel, not the skipper is disabled. Examples are broken rudder or engine failure.

Stonefloat 12-08-2013 16:01

:thumb:+1, well said

Quote:

Originally Posted by svmariane (Post 1308718)
With only one person aboard - well, you have to sleep sometime. Maybe catnap, maybe heave to, maybe let her run but you'll be relying on your electronic warning systems. Electronics can and do fail in the marine environment. Got backups?

Compared to running under reefed sails, heaved to could mean a little more warning time before the approaching craft comes close IF she's coming from "ahead", but less time if she's coming up from astern. Flip a coin.

With two persons aboard - you're better off adjusting schedules depending on each person's tolerance levels and circadian rhythm. "Three hour watches" isn't carved in stone. Example: my wife takes dusk to midnight; I take midnight to dawn. Three, four, five hour watches - you'll get a sense of it after being underway awhile.

If folk start getting cranky from lack of sleep - well, that's asking for trouble besides ruining what should be a great cruise. Intellectually we all KNOW that a sleep-deprived person could make bad decisions. And anyway, who wants a cranky partner aboard?

Do what suites YOUR crew so everybody gets enough sleep.

One last gentle word of advice/opinion: Maybe other than just coming out the backside of a hurricane/typhoon/cyclone, with two or more folk aboard there isn't reason for NOT having somebody awake, alert, and on watch when underway.

And that's my take on things....

James

barnakiel 12-08-2013 16:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by dugout (Post 1309473)

(...)

Lookout

Every vessel shall at all times maintain a proper look-out by sight and hearing as well as by all available means appropriate in the prevailing circumstances and conditions so as to make a full appraisal of the situation and of the risk of collision.

(...)

For those who wish to stand on a rule, end all, one might choose one with more stability. Rule 5 is certainly written “conditionally”.(...)

No.

It is not written conditionally, nor "conditionally".

It is written: "... by all available means appropriate in the prevailing circumstances and conditions ...".

b.

Snore 12-08-2013 18:18

With all respects to my esteemed colleagues and maritime betters- the debate has become rhetorical. We may as well debate the number of angels that can dance on a pinhead!

The reality is that single handers will nap, and fix lunch- when they do they technically violate regulations. But a crew of two, where a crewman is hurt and being tended to, is also failing to keep watch. So they are violating the rules. Heaven forbid it is a couple doing the "wild thing" below deck.... They may not even hear the AIS alarm (note to self celibacy now required on board). Like I said the debate is rhetorical.

IMHO, this is where book knowledge and bilge-attorney-ing ends and seamanship starts. Alter course! It is a big friggn ocean. Even if I am the stand-on vessel, I will alter course slightly if it makes the passing work easily.

D&D 12-08-2013 18:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snore (Post 1309649)
With all respects to my esteemed colleagues and maritime betters- the debate has become rhetorical. We may as well debate the number of angels that can dance on a pinhead!

The reality is that single handers will nap, and fix lunch- when they do they technically violate regulations. But a crew of two, where a crewman is hurt and being tended to, is also failing to keep watch. So they are violating the rules. Heaven forbid it is a couple doing the "wild thing" below deck.... They may not even hear the AIS alarm (note to self celibacy now required on board). Like I said the debate is rhetorical.

IMHO, this is where book knowledge and bilge-attorney-ing ends and seamanship starts. Alter course! It is a big friggn ocean. Even if I am the stand-on vessel, I will alter course slightly if it makes the passing work easily.

Hear him! Hear him!

...apart from the "celibacy now required on board" bit...:devil:

...and keep watch 24/7!!:thumb:

boatman61 12-08-2013 18:30

Quote:

Well Buga me... give the man a coconut...:thumb:
A reasonable... not up yer arse sanctimonious post... :cheers:
Good on yer mate... the hypocrisy was getting over the top... especially as I remember posts by certain members going back a coupla three years...:p

Crimea Cruiser 12-08-2013 18:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by wkstar (Post 1308730)
Thanks svmariane
Maybe I am ahead of the curve, But Today we have Self-Driving Cars with NO person inside

Perhaps the Dodo bird thought it was ahead of it's time too?:whistling:

( Gee I hope that fits in the play nice rule ):banghead:

Crimea Cruiser 12-08-2013 19:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by dugout (Post 1309473)
The USCG enjoys purposed ambiguity and the flexibility it offers.
Admiralty law spends most of the time in the grey, far from the extremes of black and white.
To the point let’s take apart rule 5:

Lookout

Define “proper”??? Is it conditional? Why is the word used here?

Define “appropriate in the prevailing circumstances and conditions” Is this conditional? What is the purpose of the additional verbiage?

For those who wish to stand on a rule, end all, one might choose one with more stability. Rule 5 is certainly written “conditionally”. I’m sure the standards are different between the southern approach to Ambrose and 300 miles east of Bermuda, right?

Because at midnight in a full blown hurricane "prevailing circumstances and conditions" may differ than in a sunny, light wind, horizon visible day. Then it becomes "proper" and perhaps the best visual "lookout" you might have is the bridge of your nose, and the best hearing "lookout" might accomplish only hearing the loud roar of breaking waves and horizontal rain beating against said bridge of nose.

dugout 12-08-2013 19:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by barnakiel (Post 1309567)
No.
It is not written conditionally.

No? Pretty sure of yourself there, Skipper. I have been to the green table; have you?

"Every vessel shall at all times maintain a proper look-out by sight and hearing as well as by all available means appropriate in the prevailing circumstances and conditions so as to make a full appraisal of the situation and of the risk of collision."

Who's adjudicates appropriate in the prevailing circumstances and conditions? The captain of the vessel.
The Captain defines proper.
The Captain defines appropriate.

It is the Captains judgement and it is that very judgement that comes into question. There are no hard and fast, black and white issues. It is a world of grey.
I assure you appropriate means different things in mid ocean, compared to busy traffic lanes. I assure you appropriate means different things to the captain of a 1000 ft LNG Tanker and a singlehander and a 30ft sailing vessel.
No? Keep dreaming; it's not reality...:rolleyes:

boatman61 12-08-2013 19:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by dugout (Post 1309736)
No? Pretty sure of yourself there, Skipper. I have been to the green table; have you?

"Every vessel shall at all times maintain a proper look-out by sight and hearing as well as by all available means appropriate in the prevailing circumstances and conditions so as to make a full appraisal of the situation and of the risk of collision."

Who's adjudicates appropriate in the prevailing circumstances and conditions? The captain of the vessel.
The Captain defines proper.
The Captain defines appropriate.

It is the Captains judgement and it is that very judgement that comes into question. There are no hard and fast, black and white issues. It is a world of grey.
I assure you appropriate means different things in mid ocean, compared to busy traffic lanes. I assure you appropriate means different things to the captain of a 1000 ft LNG Tanker and a singlehander and a 30ft sailing vessel.
No? Keep dreaming; it's not reality...:rolleyes:

LOLOL... you do realise your destroying years of happy delusions here...:p

dugout 12-08-2013 20:16

Quote:

Good Post!!!
It's all about judgement and meeting the demands of the conditions.:thumb:

Rakuflames 12-08-2013 20:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crimea Cruiser (Post 1309703)
Because at midnight in a full blown hurricane "prevailing circumstances and conditions" may differ than in a sunny, light wind, horizon visible day. Then it becomes "proper" and perhaps the best visual "lookout" you might have is the bridge of your nose, and the best hearing "lookout" might accomplish only hearing the loud roar of breaking waves and horizontal rain beating against said bridge of nose.

It is because of such language, which sounds vague to the laymen but will have clear meaning to lawyers and judges in a maritime court of law, that we laymen should not be making decisions based on our "understanding" of the law.

Coops 12-08-2013 20:22

Quote:

The answer is eleventeen.:p

Coops.

rebel heart 12-08-2013 20:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by barnakiel (Post 1309286)
Personally, I do not allow my crew to read books on watch. No console games, no mp3 players, no joints, no beer, etc. Only the off watch one is free to do what they please but even they are required to get good rest so that they are 100% ready to grind if such a need arises. While on watch, everybody (on our boat) is expected to watch, keep eye on the boat and, if required, steer.

That's the general rule, I do agree that when the weather is good, boat sailing fine and the horizon has been scanned, it is OK to go down below to use the head, grab a jacket or put the kettle on.

Remember how the sat Gypsy Moth on that reef?

b.

I just can't see that as something that works long term. We're leaving on the Pacific crossing in the spring and it just boggles my mind that anyone is going to sit there, for weeks, pulling constant shifts just staring into the ocean for hours.

No fishing, no reading, no music, no listening to podcasts... jesus man, that's just cruel.

rebel heart 12-08-2013 20:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by dugout (Post 1309736)

Hell no I never did! Spotless enlisted and commissioned service record! Well, no spots that went down in paper that actually made it into my service record.

bobconnie 12-08-2013 20:52

:whistling:Theres aheck of a difference between daylight hours offshore in a pacific crossing, and coastal cruiseing for a few days !!! In daylight hours I maybe napping in the cockpit, or I might be makeing a sandwich in the galley for 10 minutes, or I may be fixing something that broke ! But Im still able to look every few minutes, and with radar im able to see whats ahead for more then 10 miles anyway !! Now thats not night time for sure ! The few times Ive really offshore singlehanded, I did as I said, I did my sleeping in the cockpit during the days ! Ya gotta sleep sometimes coloregs or not !! Just my 2 cents

J Clark H356 12-08-2013 21:30

On either my first or second return trip from Key West to Boca Grande pass, I was on watch in the middle of the night (only 2on board) and saw a single small white light in the distance. I watched it carefully as it stayed in the same place on my rail- no radar on this 32 ft Tahiti Ketch, and determined we were on a collision course. I shifted course slightly to the west and in a few minutes private fishing boat, no one visible at either helm went by me at no more than 30 yards going about 20 knots. If I hadn't altered course, he would have hit us head on.

Whoever was in that boat was not aware of what was going on around him and never saw us. Made me realize that we all tend to travel similar courses, so someone going south from Boca Grande Pass to the north channel of Key West is very likely to be on the same or nearly same reciprocal course as you are. Point is if you are going north, someone else is probably going south on a similar course. Keep your head out in the cockpit and your radar and AIS alarms active. It might save your life! The sea is not nearly as empty as you might think.

Andrew B. 12-08-2013 22:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by boatman61 (Post 1309740)
LOLOL... you do realise your destroying years of happy delusions here...:p

ROFLMAO !!

Kenomac 12-08-2013 22:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate (Post 1309437)
Well, Kenomac, and everybody else,

I think it's wrong to characterize single handers as "idiots". .........It is encumbent on you to preserve the wellbeing of your ship and her crew, and because of the Colregs, you're supposed to watch out for the other guy as well. Please do it!!

Just because someone labels themselves differently, does not make it OK for them to endanger the rest of us with their reckless behavior. Idiotic behavior is what makes one an idiot.

rebel heart 12-08-2013 22:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenomac (Post 1309811)
Just because someone labels themselves differently, does not make it OK for them to endanger the rest of us with their reckless behavior. Idiotic behavior is what makes one an idiot.

Most of the sailing icons, and really anyone who spends enough time on the water eventually (via circumstance), is singlehanding.

Joshua Slocum
Bernard Moitessier
Matt Rutherford (solo'd the Americas last year)
Jim Howard (long time sailor, author)

All incredible mariners with staggering sea time and experiences. Labeling them as idiots is a little much.

Richard5 12-08-2013 23:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by goboatingnow (Post 1309447)

I've no barney with singlehanders, but it does break the rules

Barney...Barney Rubble...rubble...rub. You have no rub with singlehanders, so I have that right?

Richard5 12-08-2013 23:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by rebel heart (Post 1309777)
I just can't see that as something that works long term. We're leaving on the Pacific crossing in the spring and it just boggles my mind that anyone is going to sit there, for weeks, pulling constant shifts just staring into the ocean for hours.

No fishing, no reading, no music, no listening to podcasts... , that's just cruel.

That's not cruel. What's cruel is watching a man after running out of twice watered down liquor and no cigarettes for what's likely to be at least 3 more weeks unless we happen upon another vessel with smokers onboard. That isn't me I'm describing. Watching helplessly is almost as cruel. Just be ware of how he responds.

As for as standing watch, I agree with Barnacle. But this ain't the military with a full watch. When cruising you're short handed even with a few others onboard unless they all are on their A game and all the time. So standing watch means you are wearing many hats which means you can roam the boat looking for things to be done. And there are always things to be done. In fact, if you're sitting in a chair burning your eyeballs you are slacking.

RaymondR 13-08-2013 02:00

In the version I have of the Colregs Rule 3: Definitions (f) states:

The term "vessel not under command" means a vessel which through some exceptional circumstance is unable to maneuver as required by these Rules and is therefor unable to keep out of the way of another vessel.

Whether or not it is appropriate to heave to and display the correct lights or shapes to indicate a "vessel not under command" whilst a single hander has a nap appears to depend upon whether the need to have the nap might be considered "exceptional circumstances". One might validly claim that in the instance of a severe nap attack there is insufficient competent crew to safely work the vessel. If the court accepted this one would only then have the problem of whether or not you should be out there by yourself in the first place.

Sabbatical II 13-08-2013 03:07

There's seems to me to be a huge gap here between theory (or ********?) and practice. I have been on many fully crewed boats on passage with a 24/7 watch system. I would probably trust the dilligent single hander more to keep an effective watch than any of these fully crewed boats, one was even as we sat for our yachtmaster ticket with a (yawning) yactmaster instructor aboard. The competent single hander knows and asseses the risks and works out how to best minimise them. He has total control over the human element and can set a whole range of alarms which, although not foolproof, have proven to be more reliable than the human substitutes. The skipper of a crewed boat has to trust that his crew is not day dreaming or even snoozing on watch and my experience is that mostly are.