Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   General Sailing Forum (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   Keeping Watch at Night ? (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f2/keeping-watch-at-night-109186.html)

Jammer Six 22-03-2014 19:42

Re: Keeping Watch at Night ?

Oh. Okay.

weavis 23-03-2014 01:03

Now that is cleared up, along with the English weather, I get to go to Bristol (Bristol of nautical fame no less) and help a friend with an outboard issue involving old petrol (gasoline) and flush it through and replace the contents of his fuel tank with nice fresh $9 a gallon new stuff. There are some things in Europe that make your eyes water, and in line with the thread, we will of course wear dark glasses.

Coops 23-03-2014 01:25

If you wear dark glasses in the UK( my homeland) they usually help you across the road.:D

Coops.

weavis 23-03-2014 01:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coops (Post 1499610)
If you wear dark glasses in the UK( my homeland) they usually help you across the road.:D

Coops.

They might have to! The dark glasses appear to be hiding the shock and tears of paying a fortune for 15 gallons of new petrol. Made my legs all wobbly.
Ive lived in the States for 12 years and coming back to the realities of Brit expenses, hurts! Not a little I might add..

So we move on to the boat and start flushing through.. sigh.

weavis 23-03-2014 02:49

Lots of water in the petrol in the Polebarn cover at Ds house. Has a funny smell too. He reckons its about 2 years old. Well its no good for running the outboard thats for sure. Flushing through his engine now with anti gum products and then will re prime and whizz it over... might as well do a service since we are here. Going to power blast the prop and file the edges a bit as well. Oldie but goodie.

Blue Crab 23-03-2014 07:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coops (Post 1499610)
If you wear dark glasses in the UK( my homeland) they usually help you across the road.:D Coops.

Here in the US, it means you are a celebrity. Most of us non-celebs wouldn't know otherwise, or maybe they feel we won't notice them with the sunglasses on, at night. I don't know if this is an oxymoron or morons on oxy.

boatman61 23-03-2014 07:48

Hi Weavis... Welcome and thanks for the nice words.. :thumb:
Tho' should give you a heads up.. I'm just about average on boat handling.. loads on here better than me..
My true abilities exist in the realms of Luck and BS...:D

Lodesman 23-03-2014 08:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkJ (Post 1498260)
"Humour" is spelled "humour" except in a small country where they screwed the English language right up and spell stuff "interestingly". :D

Y'know it was spelled "humor" once upon a time in olde England. It was spelled that way when the English imported it to the American colonies. After the Yanks split from the Empire, the English changed the spellings; this occurred through the British realm, but by then the Americans didn't feel they needed to follow the whims of the Crown.

Lodesman 23-03-2014 08:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by boatman61 (Post 1499794)

And honesty. ;)

jackdale 23-03-2014 08:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lodesman (Post 1499809)
Y'know it was spelled "humor" once upon a time in olde England. It was spelled that way when the English imported it to the American colonies. After the Yanks split from the Empire, the English changed the spellings; this occurred through the British realm, but by then the Americans didn't feel they needed to follow the whims of the Crown.

Are you sure about that? Sounds like the explanation for IALA System B.

Quote:

I know you all, and will awhile uphold
The unyoked humour of your idleness.
William Shakespeare, King Henry IV, Part 1

Blue Crab 23-03-2014 10:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by goboatingnow (Post 1498631)
I know there's something useful in this thread, but for the life of me I can't find it ;)

Dave

Dave, for me this is it:

I only accept crticism personally on the understanding that it will be proven the fault is not really mine. It is just a matter of timing before the issue is cleared up.
Weavis

:whistling:

weavis 23-03-2014 10:53

Your welcome. No charge for the first two uses, after that we negotiate.

weavis 23-03-2014 11:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by boatman61 (Post 1499794)
Hi Weavis... Welcome and thanks for the nice words.. :thumb:
Tho' should give you a heads up.. I'm just about average on boat handling.. loads on here better than me..

Still on the Island Phil?

https://www.cruisersforum.com/attachm...9e8c6fb169.jpg

goboatingnow 23-03-2014 17:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Crab (Post 1499884)
Dave, for me this is it:

I only accept crticism personally on the understanding that it will be proven the fault is not really mine. It is just a matter of timing before the issue is cleared up.
Weavis

:whistling:

I like it, a gem hidden in a midden heap

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lodesman 23-03-2014 17:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackdale (Post 1499833)
Are you sure about that? Sounds like the explanation for IALA System B.

William Shakespeare, King Henry IV, Part 1

Well it was before my time, so I can't guarantee the truth in what I've read. I like the explanation in Wikipedia: American and British English spelling differences - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Note that humor/humour derives from Latin so would have been "humor" in Middle English, and properly should have stayed that way.

jackdale 23-03-2014 21:21

Drifting along.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lodesman (Post 1500213)
Well it was before my time, so I can't guarantee the truth in what I've read. I like the explanation in Wikipedia: American and British English spelling differences - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Note that humor/humour derives from Latin so would have been "humor" in Middle English, and properly should have stayed that way.

Quote:

Authorities in Canada have also acted from similar political and patriotic motives, as they tried to preserve Canadian English's differences when faced with the American steamroller. In one instance, Sir John A. Macdonald issued an Order in Council (No. 1178 of June 12, 1890, according to the National Library of Canada) that "the English practice be uniformly followed" in official documents of all sorts. From that stems our system of writing honour, colour, theatre and centre instead of using their -or and -er forms.
https://www.noslangues-ourlanguages....funny-eng.html

I keep having to add proper spellings to my spell checker.

My biggest issue was going to grad school in the US.

weavis 24-03-2014 00:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackdale (Post 1500315)
Drifting along.

Why not use the English (UK) language and Spell checker in MS windows setup?
I have no idea what you would do in MAC..... and I dont want to know!

Lodesman 24-03-2014 06:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackdale (Post 1500315)
Drifting along.

Drifting further still...
The next paragraph to the one you posted from that link agrees with me:

Quote:

Some sources say -or was the original form and travelled with settlers to the Americas, but British usage changed in the mid-nineteenth century under the influence of French, which was considered a more cultivated language. Thus, Britain and her Empire adopted -our spellings, which looked more like the French -eur, along with a preference for -re instead of -er, while the Americans retained the simpler, original forms.

MarkJ 24-03-2014 06:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lodesman (Post 1500534)
Drifting further still...
The next paragraph to the one you posted from that link agrees with me:

I do love history because often times its not quite what I thought it was!

Thanks for the quotation.