Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   General Sailing Forum (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   Keeping Watch at Night ? (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f2/keeping-watch-at-night-109186.html)

goboatingnow 19-08-2013 15:39

Not another biscay story :p

Dave

boatman61 19-08-2013 15:49

Re: Keeping Watch at Night ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by goboatingnow (Post 1317183)
Not another biscay story :p

Dave

Sorry Dave... its about the only place that isn't boring...:p

Therapy 19-08-2013 17:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Crab (Post 1316897)
I have a general distrust of people who need constant diversion. Are their brains devoid of thoughts? I don't need or tolerate "background noise." I know many folks who feel like they must talk all the time. A few are men but most are women, I am truly sorry to report.

As a single and devilishly handsome, slim and trim old guy I get a lot of attention from elderly widows but I'd rather go without the other benefits than listen to idle claptrap. :cool:

If it's good I'll talk a streak.
But I could sit with no background for a loooooonng time too. :thumb:
We should go sailing.

Blue Crab 19-08-2013 17:19

Next time man. I gotta get off here for a bit. Civility is slipping away.

zeehag 19-08-2013 17:23

oooooooooooh, crabby----come on down and listen to the music of the ocean with me.... they even have rum down here, mon....

tropicalescape 19-08-2013 17:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeehag (Post 1316816)
i am fortunate enough to have irregular nerve endings due collagen disorder which changes parasympathetic receptors and transmitters. i sense a change before it occurs. is a wonderful gift. strange but wonderful... i usually have 8 minutes to figure it all out before whatever it is gonna happen does. usually i am correct. there are witnesses--i allowed them to live as no one else would ever believe them

worked well at sports car races when i was in response ambulance.....
works well at sea and while stationary......
i am damlucky and very appreciative of that gift that keeps me in tune with whatever it is i am in tune with.
this gift has kept more than just me alive and healthy.

So your a mind reader?? lol

D&D 19-08-2013 18:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Crab (Post 1317310)
I gotta get off here for a bit. Civility is slipping away.

...and repetition is taking its place.:banghead:

Stay safe fellow cruisers, whatever your night watch keeping practices/peculiarities!

zeehag 19-08-2013 18:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by tropicalescape (Post 1317335)
So your a mind reader?? lol

not so lucky

tropicalescape 20-08-2013 05:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Crab (Post 1316897)
I have a general distrust of people who need constant diversion. Are their brains devoid of thoughts? I don't need or tolerate "background noise." I know many folks who feel like they must talk all the time. A few are men but most are women, I am truly sorry to report.

As a single and devilishly handsome, slim and trim old guy I get a lot of attention from elderly widows but I'd rather go without the other benefits than listen to idle claptrap. :cool:

Well you have the (blue) crabs,are devilishly handsome,slim and trim and the old widows are a clap-trap, things havent changed much up Buxton way!!..Lol..:p

tropicalescape 20-08-2013 06:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rakuflames (Post 1316966)
Yeah I could hang one there, but I couldn't be at the helm there. :)

I've told my daughters I want a hanging chair for Christmas or birthday (they're close together).

Hey Raku ,google ,"Nags Head Hammocks" they arent cheap but neither is the quality...I have seen custom work they did for a guys 60ft sailboat and it was really nice stuff..

boatman61 20-08-2013 06:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeehag (Post 1317314)
oooooooooooh, crabby----come on down and listen to the music of the ocean with me.... they even have rum down here, mon....

In the land of Tequila your drinking rum....:rolleyes:
Bring on the salt and lemons...:thumb:

Rakuflames 20-08-2013 06:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by tropicalescape (Post 1317695)
Hey Raku ,google ,"Nags Head Hammocks" they arent cheap but neither is the quality...I have seen custom work they did for a guys 60ft sailboat and it was really nice stuff..

I'll do that!

Rakuflames 20-08-2013 06:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snore (Post 1317040)
While you have me on open sea miles, I've done a fair amount of endurance racing. Informal surveys of guys who have raced 24-48 hours non-stop is that junk food results in secondary problems. These include loss of mental acuity and hallucinations. YMMV, or you could just be young enough that your body can run on that fuel.

Something to ponder.

Me? I have two Natural High dried meals for quick food. Heat water, add to package, wrap towel around bag, and eat anywhere- anytime. That and kippers or sardines

Would that problem with hallucinations occur solo sailing on a long trip -- I'm particularly thinking about the 13 year old who sailed around the world. We debated the wisdom of that at the time. Personally I wouldn't want any 13 year old of mine going through that by herself ...

goboatingnow 20-08-2013 06:46

Quote:

Would that problem with hallucinations occur solo sailing on a long trip -- I'm particularly thinking about the 13 year old who sailed around the world. We debated the wisdom of that at the time. Personally I wouldn't want any 13 year old of mine going through that by herself ...
Sure, they are all living in a world of their own anyway!.
Dave

Wrong 20-08-2013 07:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rakuflames (Post 1317726)

If Dave (goboatingnow), with his limited experience is qualified to sail his boat, there's no doubt the 13 year old who has successfully sailed around the world had sufficient experience and skill to do it.
:devil: