Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Our Community (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f129/)
-   -   If I Don't Agree With You am I Therefore wrong? (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f129/if-i-dont-agree-with-you-am-i-therefore-wrong-107435.html)

Lagoon4us 12-07-2013 23:36

If I Don't Agree With You am I Therefore wrong?
 
Given that this Forum is a massive wealth of experience in all things marine and social i note that quite often tempers often get frayed when debate occurs.

There are some who no longer contribute to this Forum due to direct abuse that has been received, at times very personal, that's a loss to all of us.:banghead:

When a topic comes up it, at times, becomes a 'Think Tank' with many contributing their individual knowledge, experience and or theory.

One of the first rules of 'Think Tanking' is that even when a contradictory/challenging point is put forward it must remain POSITIVE as negative comments are simply not constructive.

Even the absolute newbie can, albeit at risk of re-inventing the wheel, have a post that's 'thought provoking', likewise experienced minds can 'think tank' new ways to approach particular problems.:thumb:

So why the vehemence or non-acceptance of contrary idea's?

Are we not positive enough to accept different thinking?

Do we prefer to argue?

Is our individual knowledge 'The only way'?

Can the printed word be taken 'out of context' due to the readers emotion at the time?

Cheers Frank.

Jimbo485 12-07-2013 23:49

They are just humans, Frank. We pity them....

Wotname 12-07-2013 23:49

Re: If I Don't Agree With You am I Therefore wrong?
 
Well to answer the Thread Title - usually "YES" but funnily enough, I have noticed that more and more people now know more than me so perhaps the answer will soon be "NO".
:):):)

marc2012 13-07-2013 00:37

Re: If I Don't Agree With You am I Therefore wrong?
 
If you are dealing with a woman this is true.Just accept it.marc

Rakuflames 13-07-2013 00:55

Re: If I Don't Agree With You am I Therefore wrong?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lagoon4us (Post 1283884)
Given that this Forum is a massive wealth of experience in all things marine and social i note that quite often tempers often get frayed when debate occurs.

There are some who no longer contribute to this Forum due to direct abuse that has been received, at times very personal, that's a loss to all of us.:banghead:

When a topic comes up it, at times, becomes a 'Think Tank' with many contributing their individual knowledge, experience and or theory.

One of the first rules of 'Think Tanking' is that even when a contradictory/challenging point is put forward it must remain POSITIVE as negative comments are simply not constructive.

Even the absolute newbie can, albeit at risk of re-inventing the wheel, have a post that's 'thought provoking', likewise experienced minds can 'think tank' new ways to approach particular problems.:thumb:

So why the vehemence or non-acceptance of contrary idea's?

Are we not positive enough to accept different thinking?

Do we prefer to argue?

Is our individual knowledge 'The only way'?

Can the printed word be taken 'out of context' due to the readers emotion at the time?

Cheers Frank.


"So why the vehemence or non-acceptance of contrary idea's?

Are we not positive enough to accept different thinking?

Do we prefer to argue?

Is our individual knowledge 'The only way'?

Can the printed word be taken 'out of context' due to the readers emotion at the time?"


It happens all the time here. Often it turns out online (IMO) that there are people who are just used to being surrounded by people who agree with them all the time, but that's unlikely on the internet.

i would particularly like to see us avoid the use of derogatory names for "others." For instance, the only time I have seen the word "sheeple" used as when it is directed at people who disagree with the poster (hasn't happened here, at least not ovbviouslyk but the word has surfaced). I find it ironic when person A calls person B a "sheeple" precisely because person B does *not* agree with person A -- and yet a "sheeple" is supposed to be people who don't think for themselves. But other names surface -- the person is a "noob" (not sure how else one learns to sail except by starting out, etc.)

I personally was driven off by the name-calling once because I was perceived to be less experienced and therefore unacceptable. It's better now but the "undertow" is still there sometimes.

I really do think one person who came in here earlier was a "troll," and internet phenomenom, a person who comes only to spread dissension. Once that's accomplished, they leave to find another board to disrupt, which is a true troll's goal.

But we should tolerate and maybe even welcome differences of opinion, as they often result in discussions, that while animated, provide useful information.

My 2 cents. The great majority of people have something to offer if the conversation doesn't deteriorate into uneupsmanship.

Rakuflames 13-07-2013 00:57

Re: If I Don't Agree With You am I Therefore wrong?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by marc2012 (Post 1283899)
If you are dealing with a woman this is true.Just accept it.marc


Or a man. Except for the presence of women and men we would always agree. that's the reason, all right. :popcorn:

Ocean Girl 13-07-2013 01:18

Re: If I Don't Agree With You am I Therefore wrong?
 
Marc2012, as a woman i will not disappoint you---I disagree with your post, therefor you are wrong :).

I'm still a little groggy from sleep, my dog woke me up barking at the companionway for no apparent reason. But groggy or not I'll weigh in.

I've been away from CF for a while and have noticed an increase in the negativity. I'm hoping it is just a phase we seem to go through from time to time.
On the other hand, for all the hot air and potshots, this is still the best forum for sailors new and old, (along with SSCA).
Erika

Rakuflames 13-07-2013 01:23

Re: If I Don't Agree With You am I Therefore wrong?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ocean Girl (Post 1283914)
Marc2012, as a woman i will not disappoint you---I disagree with your post, therefor you are wrong :).

I'm still a little groggy from sleep, my dog woke me up barking at the companionway for no apparent reason. But groggy or not I'll weigh in.

I've been away from CF for a while and have noticed an increase in the negativity. I'm hoping it is just a phase we seem to go through from time to time.
On the other hand, for all the hot air and potshots, this is still the best forum for sailors new and old, (along with SSCA).
Erika


Same situation, only it ws my cat (no, not barking!)

I think part of the problem is just communicating online. if we were all talking face-to-face it would be immediately apparent if someone did not understand someone else. It would be cleared up immediately. Online, words last forever. Face-to-face, they're rapidly fading air vibrations.

Seaworthy Lass 13-07-2013 01:26

Re: If I Don't Agree With You am I Therefore wrong?
 
"I Don't Agree With You am I Therefore wrong?"

You are always wrong if I am an ex US Coast Guard Lt Commander :devil:

Dare I say or an RYA instructor or an ISPA Yachtmaster Offshore Instructor Evaluator?

Ooooooh, I am going to be in sooooooo much trouble for those two comments :D
:sprint:

David_Old_Jersey 13-07-2013 01:33

Re: If I Don't Agree With You am I Therefore wrong?
 
CF is the most civilised (popular) forum I have ever been on :thumb:.

I can't say that I have noticed any great personal attacks :devil:, at least nothing above handbags :flowers:. But I have noticed that some folks are uber sensitive and others do seem surprised that not only are some willing to disagree but that other opinions formed by life experiences actually exist :rolleyes:........of course when principally seeking validation of point of view / ideas / plans that can be a bummer :D. Personally I don't tend to "play" with those I think can't cope with a touch of chain yanking - except those who are happy to dish it out :D.

I also see frustration when no easy answer (that can also be bought from West Marine? :whistling:) is forthcoming, and instead a thread develops into a mix of helping the OP ask self more questions and to puzzle out own answers - using the acknowledged half relevant experiences of others. Methinks some peeps would find dealing with a book easier than a forum, for some a book with lots of pictures - and large print :p. Admittedly with a forum it does take a bit of effort to guide a discussion, but effort I guess is for some "so last century".......

Of course as an Armchair Bucketeer I don't know sh#t from shinola :p, on boats or about life or travelling the world or not getting killed (IME that's usually a people related thing - and no, I've never needed a gun :flowers:).........Or women :(, although on that note I did learn early doors in Thailand that women can be more like a man.........

Coops 13-07-2013 01:42

Re: If I Don't Agree With You am I Therefore wrong?
 
The fact that someone disagrees with your opinion could just mean that you have collated the information that you have from the wrong sources. It could mean the opposite, that they themselves have done this heinous thing. But, for me, whichever one makes it the funniest gets my vote. Yes, we get help, yes, we get information, yes,we get opinions that's for sure, but let's get some tongues in cheeks and funnybones tickled rather than feathers in a ruffled state.

Coops.

David_Old_Jersey 13-07-2013 01:46

Re: If I Don't Agree With You am I Therefore wrong?
 
Of course could be that this thread started because things kinda quiet in one of the sub-forums I have on ignore. I could fix that..........

Seaworthy Lass 13-07-2013 02:03

Re: If I Don't Agree With You am I Therefore wrong?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coops (Post 1283931)
Yes, we get help, yes, we get information, yes,we get opinions that's for sure, but let's get some tongues in cheeks and funnybones tickled rather than feathers in a ruffled state.
Coops.

I hope several members have a sense of humour and that no feathers are ruffled by this post :D :D :D:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass (Post 1283920)
"I Don't Agree With You am I Therefore wrong?"

You are always wrong if I am an ex US Coast Guard Lt Commander :devil:

Dare I say or an RYA instructor or an ISPA Yachtmaster Offshore Instructor Evaluator?

Ooooooh, I am going to be in sooooooo much trouble for those two comments :D
:sprint:


GordMay 13-07-2013 03:02

Re: If I Don't Agree With You am I Therefore wrong?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ocean Girl (Post 1283914)
Marc2012, as a woman i will not disappoint you---I disagree with your post, therefor you are wrong ...

Wouldn't the reverse be more logical?
You're opinion/information is wrong; therefore I disagree with it.

Lagoon4us 13-07-2013 03:05

Re: If I Don't Agree With You am I Therefore wrong?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass (Post 1283920)
"I Don't Agree With You am I Therefore wrong?"

You are always wrong if I am an ex US Coast Guard Lt Commander :devil:

Dare I say or an RYA instructor or an ISPA Yachtmaster Offshore Instructor Evaluator?

Ooooooh, I am going to be in sooooooo much trouble for those two comments :D
:sprint:

Wow both feet!

GordMay 13-07-2013 03:48

Re: If I Don't Agree With You am I Therefore wrong?
 
Our Rules offer some good advice, including:

... Personal attacks on others will not be tolerated.
Challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully.
Excessive sarcasm, belligerence, insults, profanity, anger, offensive comments about race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, and national origin, are not acceptable ...
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ork&page=rules

boden36 13-07-2013 04:26

Re: If I Don't Agree With You am I Therefore wrong?
 
Sometimes the people who agree with me are wrong too.

Regards,
Richard.

boatman61 13-07-2013 04:30

Re: If I Don't Agree With You am I Therefore wrong?
 
No.... just means your not drinking Vodka straight outa the freezer..:D

Teknav 13-07-2013 04:49

Re: If I Don't Agree With You am I Therefore wrong?
 
It is amusing to find that a few people like to tinker with electric circuits without circuits analysis knowledge, or want to sail the seven seas without any seamanship skills, yet others think by connecting a bunch of toys together their future boat miraculously will sail on its own to lala-land. Despite old salts efforts to advise the dreamers to listen and amend their ways, very few do so.

I never want to see someone getting hurt, yet I can see a few vying for shortcuts and quick fixes without assessing the whole picture. Some examples...if a boat hits bottom and immediately stops, what happened to the dissipated energy; structural damage needs to be looked at first, prior to repairs...when a boat catches a fire, the outer skin burns can explain volumes on the accelerant's type and the fire's origin...when someone plays with a 2 OHM resistor to adjust current, no apparent thoughts about current changes in circuit's nodes, or what would a home modified circuit will do to your insurance coverage if there's an electric fire...

When I provide an opinion, I draw on my background and experiences in Engineering, Flying/Sailing and Pharmacy. I don't expect everyone to heed my advice. Agree or disagree, I hope that will still remain friends. :D

Mauritz

goboatingnow 13-07-2013 06:14

Re: If I Don't Agree With You am I Therefore wrong?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass (Post 1283920)
"I Don't Agree With You am I Therefore wrong?"

You are always wrong if I am an ex US Coast Guard Lt Commander :devil:

Dare I say or an RYA instructor or an ISPA Yachtmaster Offshore Instructor Evaluator?

Ooooooh, I am going to be in sooooooo much trouble for those two comments :D
:sprint:


no feather ruffled, ( your still wrong , what was the reason again?/):p

Dave

goboatingnow 13-07-2013 06:18

Re: If I Don't Agree With You am I Therefore wrong?
 
I think Lagoon, the reasons are several fold

1. People with a "specific" experience, feel it can be generalised and therefore is superior to those with a variety of experiences

2. Sailors are 'ornery", so ones advice can have the zeal of the converted.

3. newbies argue theory with people who have extensive experience, from electronic circuit theory to storm sailing

4. its the internet, your anonymous, overreactions, trolling, etc are par for the course

5. Seaworthy Lass :p:sprint:
dave

psneeld 13-07-2013 06:33

Re: If I Don't Agree With You am I Therefore wrong?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by goboatingnow (Post 1284042)
I think Lagoon, the reasons are several fold

1. People with a "specific" experience, feel it can be generalised and therefore is superior to those with a variety of experiences

2. Sailors are 'ornery", so ones advice can have the zeal of the converted.

3. newbies argue theory with people who have extensive experience, from electronic circuit theory to storm sailing

4. its the internet, your anonymous, overreactions, trolling, etc are par for the course

5. Seaworthy Lass :p:sprint:
dave

Agree...especiall #3 where people who have been boating their whole life, or at least several decades, or did some competitive racing as a crewmember and think they are more than a newbie.

It's not the quantity of experience it's the quality...and also the resourcefulness of the person to observe, absorb and followup on those experiences.

#1 is a pretty good one also...this example kinda goes with both 1 & 3...

I worked with a guy in the towing assistance business who did 25 years in the Navy than another 10 years on Cross Atlantic Car Carriers with an unlimited masters. Great, smart guy...he was just didn't have the small boat experience to be all that useful working assistance towing.

I also feel sometimes the opposite... that the guy who just bought his first boat and tried some new car wax on it..and shares that experience with us...get's blasted by the "old newbie" that has weekend boated for 60 years, only shops at West Marine, has read every boating mag article ever published and let's the marina handle the difficult maintenance.

So here we are with all kinds....:D

GalaxyGirl 13-07-2013 06:46

Re: If I Don't Agree With You am I Therefore wrong?
 
I agree with you. It would be nice if more would just "agree to disagree". There are a lot of personal attacks. As a newbie I found myself in self-defense mode many times. But, it's still worth to hear all the opinions and advice of those who actually know something. Just like real life, I try and block out the negative and focus on the positive.

David_Old_Jersey 13-07-2013 06:49

Re: If I Don't Agree With You am I Therefore wrong?
 
On point 1, I remained puzzled that some think that only having direct hands on experience means qualified to talk about a subject let alone to dare! suggest solutions / ideas. But IME sometimes adding 2+2 does equal 4. But clearly a YMMV thing.

It's almost as if those who have not spent half adult life on a boat have instead been living in a cupboard 24/7.........

Personally I like the perspective that new folks to the game of boats bring - and sometimes even bringing good ideas, or if not good questions.........of course some are completely mental or deluded, but that not restricted to new boaters.

psneeld 13-07-2013 06:54

Re: If I Don't Agree With You am I Therefore wrong?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey (Post 1284056)
On point 1, I remained puzzled that some think that only having direct hands on experience means qualified to talk about a subject let alone to dare! suggest solutions / ideas. But IME sometimes adding 2+2 does equal 4. But clearly a YMMV thing.

It's almost as if those who have not spent half adult life on a boat have instead been living in a cupboard 24/7.........

Personally I like the perspective that new folks to the game of boats bring - and sometimes even bringing good ideas, or if not good questions.

True..but it's when the people with hands on experience explain to the poster arguing from book written material by someone who had one experience on the subject and refer to that book as gospel...I see that as going with point #3.

But... you are certainly correct that a guy with 30 years painting all types of automotive vehicles then another 20 painting aircraft including composite ones probably can give me way more than a few pointers on my roll and tip method...:thumb:

minaret 13-07-2013 07:09

Re: If I Don't Agree With You am I Therefore wrong?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by psneeld (Post 1284059)

But... you are certainly correct that a guy with 30 years painting all types of automotive vehicles then another 20 painting aircraft including composite ones probably can give me way more than a few pointers on my roll and tip method...:thumb:




Doubt it. I've never seen anyone roll and tip a car or an airplane!

Matt sachs 13-07-2013 07:12

Re: If I Don't Agree With You am I Therefore wrong?
 
If I agreed with you, we both would be wrong..... :)

Lake-Effect 13-07-2013 07:31

Re: If I Don't Agree With You am I Therefore wrong?
 
  1. Forum advice is worth exactly what you've paid for it. If you combine it with some self-education and research, it becomes much more valuable.
  2. Opinions on something technical almost always converge around a few (or just one) solution, when there is sufficient understanding and knowledge. Remaining debate is either misunderstanding, or sport. ;)
  3. People who use a SAILING forum as a springboard for non-sailing political wankery (guns climate-change etc) should be keel-hauled. Then banned. I speak from experience, as someone who has been cautioned a few times, and banned from another forum.
  4. Someone with "Political correctness is a creeping sickness that knows no boundaries" in their sig, should be regarded with suspicion as a possible #3 offender. Just saying.:whistling:

rognvald 13-07-2013 08:22

Re: If I Don't Agree With You am I Therefore wrong?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rakuflames (Post 1283907)
"So why the vehemence or non-acceptance of contrary idea's?

Are we not positive enough to accept different thinking?

Do we prefer to argue?

Is our individual knowledge 'The only way'?

Can the printed word be taken 'out of context' due to the readers emotion at the time?"


It happens all the time here. Often it turns out online (IMO) that there are people who are just used to being surrounded by people who agree with them all the time, but that's unlikely on the internet.

i would particularly like to see us avoid the use of derogatory names for "others." For instance, the only time I have seen the word "sheeple" used as when it is directed at people who disagree with the poster (hasn't happened here, at least not ovbviouslyk but the word has surfaced). I find it ironic when person A calls person B a "sheeple" precisely because person B does *not* agree with person A -- and yet a "sheeple" is supposed to be people who don't think for themselves. But other names surface -- the person is a "noob" (not sure how else one learns to sail except by starting out, etc.)

I personally was driven off by the name-calling once because I was perceived to be less experienced and therefore unacceptable. It's better now but the "undertow" is still there sometimes.

I really do think one person who came in here earlier was a "troll," and internet phenomenom, a person who comes only to spread dissension. Once that's accomplished, they leave to find another board to disrupt, which is a true troll's goal.

But we should tolerate and maybe even welcome differences of opinion, as they often result in discussions, that while animated, provide useful information.

My 2 cents. The great majority of people have something to offer if the conversation doesn't deteriorate into uneupsmanship.


Not true, Raku. My use of the word Sheeple(Yes, I am that horrible person) has never been used in a specific sense describing one person or could even be remotely construed as "name calling", since it has been used in a generic sense to describe a sociological phenomena that has plagued the world since Autralopithicus Africanus descended from the trees. If you feel offended, it's only because you believe it was pointed at you. . .which it was not, nor anyone else specifically on this forum. Secondly, a forum is a venue for varying and divergent opinions and it is just this difference of opinions that make it an interesting place to visit. How frequently would you visit Cruisersforum if everyone thought the same and no one had a different opinion? George Orwell's 1984? Finally, the concept of "one-upmanship" is a mentality that is usually perceived in the mind of the person whose ideas are being challenged. Just because someone doesn't agree with you does not mean they are subjugating you to an interminable offense or the Russian Gulag. Stay focused, stay light and enjoy a great forum that allows an interesting mix of divergent opinions and ideas without undue and restrictive censorship. Good luck and good sailing . . . and remember the words of the late and great Brother Don Cornelius of SoulTrain fame: "Love, Peace and Soul." Captain Rognvald the Obtuse

SoulJah 13-07-2013 12:21

Re: If I Don't Agree With You am I Therefore wrong?
 
"Love, Peace and Soul." three sentiments I personally have never perceived from any of your posts Rog. even though your sig appears to paraphrase one of America's greatest liberal thinkers (Ed Murrow). Who's the Hypocrite now?

bill352 13-07-2013 12:34

Re: If I Don't Agree With You am I Therefore wrong?
 
Let's be careful with this "sheeple" thing:

xkcd: Wake Up Sheeple

barnakiel 13-07-2013 12:47

Re: If I Don't Agree With You am I Therefore wrong?
 
1) I think most of us derive some pleasure from disagreeing, and most of us feel some amount of discomfort when others disagree with us.

2) We are mean creatures, much as at times we will elect to pretend being educated (say, when participating in a forum, where being rude is punished).

3) There is even less manouvering room in real life discussions (a.k.a. face to face) - the stronger personality (not the better argument) wins. So, at CF, we are blessed.

But it is worth trying. It would be some sort of waste of time, if the only outcome were that we have learned another boat maintenance trick. If we grow as persons, learning to manage ours, and others', misguided frustrations, then I say any forum is worth the eco footprint it creates.

b.

terminalcitygrl 13-07-2013 12:57

Re: If I Don't Agree With You am I Therefore wrong?
 
I certainly contribute far less now than I did as a newer member precisely because I find the negativity and personal attacks too prevalent. I have tried a number of times to inject some positivity into the community by highlighting a story or an idea that I believed could bring some joy only to find the conversation deteriorate into negativity and judgement. There are lots of great people here and some interesting convos and good advice and some laughs so I continue to lurk and learn but I sure would appreciate a little more self-restraint on the misery sharing by some folks sometimes.

Andrew B. 13-07-2013 13:24

Re: If I Don't Agree With You am I Therefore wrong?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lake-Effect (Post 1284094)
  1. Forum advice is worth exactly what you've paid for it. If you combine it with some self-education and research, it becomes much more valuable.
  2. Opinions on something technical almost always converge around a few (or just one) solution, when there is sufficient understanding and knowledge. Remaining debate is either misunderstanding, or sport. ;)
  3. People who use a SAILING forum as a springboard for non-sailing political wankery (guns climate-change etc) should be keel-hauled. Then banned. I speak from experience, as someone who has been cautioned a few times, and banned from another forum.
  4. Someone with "Political correctness is a creeping sickness that knows no boundaries" in their sig, should be regarded with suspicion as a possible #3 offender. Just saying.:whistling:

#3 & #4 Really ? Surely you jest...

Can someone help me understand what this ":whistling:"(Whistling) is used for ?

Is it:
1) Me so happy I bashed someone

2) Don't take it personal. Just talking out my butt...

3) I am whistling in the dark hoping I get home to mommy before
the bashee catches me and kicks my butt.
4) I ain't cool, but I wanna be...
5) No one really knows it just makes everyone think about sex and forget
what they just read...

svmariane 13-07-2013 13:33

Re: If I Don't Agree With You am I Therefore wrong?
 
Just modified my signature in honor of the original post....

{Edit: removed the emoticom from above due to its being non-universally understood.}
( now grinning... )

SoulJah 13-07-2013 13:34

Re: If I Don't Agree With You am I Therefore wrong?
 
In the spirit of positive contributions to CF and in response to the OP’s rhetoric,
May I say, some people just do love to argue. It’s their reason detre, their drug of choice. They’ll jump at every chance to assert their perceived moral or intellectual superiority. Seemingly more so on a public forum.

So many honestly believe they are charming, witty and fun to be around when in fact they are just boorish.

I’d just like to say cheers to you though Frank, your post comes across to me as a plea for tolerance and as such, it’s heartfelt.

I trust you are enjoying the Greek Islands mate! And so you should, in peace.
You’ve earned it digger. Much respect to you. Have a bloody good one.

ShaktiGurl 13-07-2013 13:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew B. (Post 1284298)

Can someone help me understand what this ":whistling:"(Whistling) is used for ?

.

I am actually curious about this as well. Along with :thumb: and all the rest. I've been an internet peruser (and gamer) for a pretty long time, follow reddit and such, but I've never seen these symbologies anywhere else. I didn't want to start a thread (for reasons mentioned here :) but since someone asked :whistling: ???

captain58sailin 13-07-2013 14:06

Re: If I Don't Agree With You am I Therefore wrong?
 
Much of the misunderstandings that deteriorate into brawls can be attributed to the lack of eye contact during the exchange, we are unable to read body English or hear the tone, something meant to be playful can come across as mean. The little emotion thingys help some. And has been presented, some people just like to disagree. This is one of the few forums that I participate in, and I enjoy the interaction, mostly when it involves trouble shooting a mechanical problem. I have learned much from those threads, and the information regarding different folks, different product experiences. (However all you catamaran people are crazy wrong, same with the manson supreme lovers. (Joke).)

Celestialsailor 13-07-2013 14:09

Re: If I Don't Agree With You am I Therefore wrong?
 
1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by GordMay (Post 1283959)
Our Rules offer some good advice, including:

... Personal attacks on others will not be tolerated.
Challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully.
Excessive sarcasm, belligerence, insults, profanity, anger, offensive comments about race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, and national origin, are not acceptable ...
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ork&page=rules

Good point...We have rules. We have Mods. Occasionally, they pull someone up by the short ends for causing problems but generally we are self policing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by terminalcitygrl (Post 1284285)
I certainly contribute far less now than I did as a newer member precisely because I find the negativity and personal attacks too prevalent. I have tried a number of times to inject some positivity into the community by highlighting a story or an idea that I believed could bring some joy only to find the conversation deteriorate into negativity and judgement. There are lots of great people here and some interesting convos and good advice and some laughs so I continue to lurk and learn but I sure would appreciate a little more self-restraint on the misery sharing by some folks sometimes.

I think a lot of that can be misinterpreted. Labeling someone as racist or sexist on the forum due to one or two vague comments is a good example. . Likely getting to know the person better, you may understand their personality better.

What I have seen on the forum in the last year or so are more newer folks who give their opinions as facts without real world knowledge. I shutter at the thought, people following their suggestions. But then...Why come to this forum asking questions about legal matters and such. Bottom line...it's the Internet. People will say things they normally would not in a face to face meeting with others. It's the nature of the e-beast.

rognvald 13-07-2013 14:12

Re: If I Don't Agree With You am I Therefore wrong?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoulJah (Post 1284268)
"Love, Peace and Soul." three sentiments I personally have never perceived from any of your posts Rog. even though your sig appears to paraphrase one of America's greatest liberal thinkers (Ed Murrow). Who's the Hypocrite now?


Souljah, I didn't know the Forum was graced with a celebrity, A.K.A. Souljah Boy, but thanks for the kind words. I am quite surprised a perceptive man (I assume) of your stature quotes one of America's late and great "talking heads" of Journalism-- Edward R. Murrow. But, the armchair wisdom by a philosopher of the masses needs further explanation:

A wise man learns by listening-- Does the wise man ever talk once he has
become enlightened or is his intelligence
assumed and his life is an endless act
of listening?

An average man learns by his experience-- So one's life experience
whether, mundane or profound, will
deem him always average?

A fool doesn't learn, he knows everything-- Agreed.

With philosophers the ilks of Nietsche, Schopenhauer, Kant, Hegel, and Wagner where does E.R. Murrow fall in the wisdom of the Western World-- perhaps Alfred E. Neuman of comic book fame?
But, thanks for the wakeup call to a comment I believe I made in humor and your personal take on the above subject. I was very impressed with your latest video and I enclose it for our readers to enjoy. Peace, Love and Soul--Captain Rognvald of the Illinois Order of the Faint and Bleeding Heart.
Soulja Boy Tell'em - Turn My Swag On - YouTube


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:46.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.