Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Our Community (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f129/)
-   -   Any 30 something folks out on the East Coast? (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f129/any-30-something-folks-out-on-the-east-coast-106434.html)

RyanC 26-06-2013 16:41

Any 30 something folks out on the East Coast?

I know the blogs and other Cruiser Forum members that are a bit younger than the average cruiser, but after 2 months out we haven't meet any folks cruising that are close to our age. Before anyone gets their feathers ruffled I will say we've met many amazing folks and have enjoyed a number of glasses of wine with folks many years our senior.

Just a bit curious if we're the only ( or one of few boats) that are heading up the East Coast this summer that has a crew younger than 40.

svRyana.com

https://maps.google.com/maps/api/stat...00&sensor=true

colemj 26-06-2013 17:15

Re: Any 30 something folks out on the East Coast?

They are out there, but not a lot of them - particularly East Coast US. You will be better off looking for weekenders your age there. Further afield, and away from the Eastern Carib, you will find more people your age. Of course, you will have to serve as the party boat for them!

I understand you - I turn 50 in a couple of weeks and am still almost always the youngest person in a cruiser's crowd! However, we seem to fit in better with the 30-40 crowd in regards to activities, interests, music, etc. We just seem to be the "gap" cruiser generation, I guess.

Mark

GordMay 27-06-2013 05:46

I suspect most under forties, are "wannabees", still working towards the goal of full-time cruising.

Dockbound2long 27-06-2013 06:46

Most of us in Maine are older than dirt. Not sure why younstas are not out there.

rebel heart 27-06-2013 06:57

Ben (unbusted67 or something on here) i think is still in maine. Get over to the best coast !

Teknav 27-06-2013 07:02

Don't worry too much about the age number. The sea does not age people; it makes them happier and rugged. If you're looking for intellectuals in your age group, that is another thread; career professionals like to hang around each other, and it is understandable. Nothing can kill a conversation than talking about personal issues or about other people. I prefer to talk about ideas, travel adventures and destinations. :D

Mauritz
Knows All, Sees All...Your Age, Weight & Fortune...Only A Dollah!

tropicalescape 27-06-2013 08:04

Head south to the Outer Banks and you will find a lot of intelligent,young,driven folks..The place is a magnet for collage kids and young adults looking for a good time during the summer,I belive there are several wind surfing/kite surfing businesses that have there testing grounds in Nags Head and of course there is the worlds largest Hangliding school Kitty Hawk Kites..The waters can get a little thin but its worth the effort...

idpnd 27-06-2013 08:17

I meet all ages, and have enjoyed meeting the older salts and saltesses in the field. However, there aren't so many younger people, most contemporaries of mine are busy breeding or getting married - some for the second time :D

CannyBallast 27-06-2013 08:23

Money. If money was no object then they'd be a lot more 30 somethings out there I'm sure.

Cruising on a budget still requires a significant budget.

Tim R. 27-06-2013 08:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dockbound2long (Post 1271386)
Most of us in Maine are older than dirt. Not sure why younstas are not out there.

Hey! We are not older than dirt, maybe the same age as dirt though;)

We are in our 40s but have the attitude of much younger folk:whistling: We are currently holed up in Portland, Maine preparing to start our cruise. Look us up if you make it to Maine. We are usually out cruising every weekend.