Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Engines and Propulsion Systems (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f54/)
-   -   Perkins 4-154 Rebuild or Repower (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f54/perkins-4-154-rebuild-or-repower-106090.html)

Lepke 06-10-2018 15:37

Re: Perkins 4-154 Rebuild or Repower

This thread started in 2013. I'd guess he rebuilt or replaced by now. Why not start a new thread?

Keelhauler 30-10-2018 13:50

Uncle Bob,

Yes, what would you like to know? Mine was installed in a 1968 Choy Lee Sigma a while back. The technology has been greatly enhanced since then. I have been contemplating the conversion for my CT 42 Mermaid Ketch. The main difference between a coastal cruiser and a stand alone world cruiser is renewable power and the cost evolved to for a proper reliable set up.

Coastal Cruising - make sense as you don`t need as large of battery bank and numerous gadgets to recharge and maintain.

Offshore Cruising - Requires multiple recharging capabilities, Larger Battery Banks to increase range and a Possible step up on motor size for motoring in against heavy currents, heavy weather or motoring in no wind situation in the middle of the ocean. Just remember the more systems you have the more that can fail. I`m not saying it can`t be done, because it can. I have designed my proposed system and it will run well over 25K US just for the basics. This doesn`t include wiring components.

I have a perfectly good Perkins 4-154 so spending that kind of money doesn`t make sense. I can buy a lot a fuel for 25K. I can rebuild the engine 5 times and repower twice. I`m a diesel mechanic so I can do my own work which saves cost.

It all depends on your situation. If you have a good running engine then I would keep it simple. If don`t have an engine then perhaps Electric power may be cost effective for you. My advice is to think about all of the cruising situations you can come up with and make a list of pros and cons of having a diesel vs electric. Think of areas such as Northern Latitudes vs tropics. Think of making repairs in the middle of no where. Think of replacement parts and availability. Even in Australia you have challenges on getting some parts. If you have done your research and homework and have the financial means to go full electric then go for it. Just Remember the K.I.S.S. Method. Hope this helps. Take Care and Good Luck.

starfish62 15-11-2018 12:38

I've got the same decision as to the rebuild on the Perkins 4-154. Boat is a Gulfstar 44, MK II. When I bought it used the old engine had a cracked cylinder head, leaky oil pan, rust-welded and shot motor mounts, etc, etc. After getting everything running the tranny took a ****. Now the engine is frozen up and I'm tired of messing with it. Oh, Well.

Here's my question: I've sourced a 4-154 that looks good, but the seller is being dickish about a compression test-it's a diesel shop, but he just doesn't want to do it, which makes me want to walk away. No info on the motor-can't even find the serial number-but I think it's around 1982 and it's a north American model-CAV fuel pump & no glow plugs. No idea as to hours or application. So does anyone know where I can get an injector plug so that I can check compression on this thing? I have the glow plug fitting, but this block doesn't have glow plugs. I've google searched to no avail.

Thanks!

PS: I agree with Keelhauler on Bluewater cruising. Simple, simple, simple. I sailed from Roatan, Honduras all the way to Bocas Del Toro, Panama because I couldn't source a lift pump that I could buy from 5 different places within 15 minutes of my house in the States. Parts are simply nonexistent in most cruising grounds, and FedEx/UPS are worthless and insanely expensive-be prepared to wait a month and pay through the nose. DHL is better, but everything takes a LONG time. It's much better to be able to fix it on the fly. Cruising, after all, is just working on your boat in foreign lands.

Cheechako 15-11-2018 13:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by starfish62 (Post 2762199)
I've got the same decision as to the rebuild on the Perkins 4-154. Boat is a Gulfstar 44, MK II. When I bought it used the old engine had a cracked cylinder head, leaky oil pan, rust-welded and shot motor mounts, etc, etc. After getting everything running the tranny took a ****. Now the engine is frozen up and I'm tired of messing with it. Oh, Well.

Here's my question: I've sourced a 4-154 that looks good, but the seller is being dickish about a compression test-it's a diesel shop, but he just doesn't want to do it, which makes me want to walk away. No info on the motor-can't even find the serial number-but I think it's around 1982 and it's a north American model-CAV fuel pump & no glow plugs. No idea as to hours or application. So does anyone know where I can get an injector plug so that I can check compression on this thing? I have the glow plug fitting, but this block doesn't have glow plugs. I've google searched to no avail.

Thanks!

A compression test on a diesel usually requires a fitting to go in the place of the injector. These often have to be custom made. So if the mechanic doesn't have one that may the reason. Gas engines re simple to do a test on with a hand held gauge, but diesel compression is too high to hand hold.

wph36 14-02-2019 11:15

I'll be pulling the 4-154 this spring and repower with a 30kw AC motor with regen, and solar.

Would be interested in selling or parting out the perkins if anyone interested.

rockborn 14-02-2019 19:55

Hi, I may be interested in the motor do you have any idea how many hours are on it

wph36 15-02-2019 10:37

No idea of hours, but as I've indicated in the thread, the engine is seized, and i currently have the head pulled.

long1pham 05-03-2021 08:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by wph36 (Post 2826509)
No idea of hours, but as I've indicated in the thread, the engine is seized, and i currently have the head pulled.

Do you still have the 154 engine? I am looking for a good used raw water pump and hope you still have it or could provide a tip as to where I could get one for a good price. Thank you. Long