Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Our Community (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f129/)
-   -   Sources for new/used '83 Pearson 34 sails/cushions (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f129/sources-for-new-used-83-pearson-34-sails-cushions-103828.html)

Hoodsail 15-05-2013 18:08

Sources for new/used '83 Pearson 34 sails/cushions

I am looking at an 1983 that has no sails or interior cushions and am attempting to cost out a main, jib, genoa (for cruising), and interior cushions (foam & covers). Any sources for either would be very helpful. thnks Dave in Connecticut

RicknSue 15-05-2013 18:31

Re: Sources for new/used '83 Pearson 34 sails/cushions

Really depends what you want..for example pricing new sails..easy, google sails for pearson 34..bang..lots of info- $$$$. Now, if you can live with scrounging and looking and living with 'ok' sails for a while..that $$$$ can turn into $$.
Same with interior, willing or able to do it yourself? Maybe $2000 with good fabric and foam (not crazy like ultraseude/leather or memory foam through out- just sunbrella furniture and the best deals you can find on 4"). Need some one to do it.. maybe 8k?
Funny thing is, the value doesn't seem to translate to the price of the boat at the lower levels (below 20K)..or matter..our 30 we bought with sails in it that were worth far more than we paid for the boat, really of no matter to the seller.
Our Ariel had/has flawless interior softwork, really would not have brought the price down that much if they were shoddy (IE: it would be $1500 to replace, and hrs of time- price of boat down $500).
The higher end boats, maybe it matters more...

Hoodsail 25-05-2013 11:43

Appreciate the information. i had my current Catalina 27 sails cleaned and fixed by the folks in Westbrook, ct just down from Kappa..i unfortunately lost the bid for the pearson 34 so the search goes on. Thnks Dave

Celestialsailor 27-05-2013 23:55

If you're looking for used...maybe Bacon on the East coast or Minney's on the left coast.

Hoodsail 28-05-2013 12:12

Appreciate the information and will make note of both company names for the future. Lost out on the bid for the Pearson so still on the hunt for an older Sabre or Tartan. thanks again,dave

Celestialsailor 28-05-2013 17:42

Both much finer boats than a Pearson IMHO

Ltsail 03-09-2013 09:05

I have a Pearson 34 for sale...reasonable

roverhi 03-09-2013 12:03

You can get an idea of what a suit of sails will cost at FX sails website. Just plug in your boat type and put in your choice for sails and construction.

Sails, Sailboat Sails, Custom Sails, Instant Online Sail Prices at FX Sails

Ebay, Bacon, Minnies etc have used sails. If you get lucky and find sails of suitable dimension, you could outfit the boat for not more than a boat unit. Head sail furlers are expensive so put that in you budget if your prospective boat doesn't have one and you want it.

Can't help you with the cushion cost but they ain't cheap.

Hoodsail 03-09-2013 17:48

Roverhi, thanks for the sail source, FX. will keep them book marked for when i am buying sails.
LT, appreciate that you let me know that you've a Pearson, but i have moved onto either a Tartan or Sabre. Good luck with selling her.
thnks
dave