Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Anchoring & Mooring (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f118/)
-   -   Anchor Windlass Suggestions? (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f118/anchor-windlass-suggestions-102221.html)

KuparukGypsy 21-04-2013 05:38

Anchor Windlass Suggestions?

We're keeping our eyes open for a Lighthouse 1501 dual gypsy plus rode electric anchor windlass on sale somewhere, they're pretty spendy. What are some other dependable, well-supported names/models we might want to consider?

35,000 lbs, 42' ketch with dual thru-pulpit anchors.

Thanks for your input.

KG

Scott Berg 21-04-2013 05:54

Maxwell and Ideal make a range of good units

Look at the 2200 series from Maxwell for a good price point

zeehag 21-04-2013 05:55

Re: Anchor Windlass Suggestions?

i have 2 windlasses on my formosa 41--i have an abi, i believe ,manual, nice bronze unit, and a lofrans 1000 progress 1, which i felt was too light, but my boat wright convinced me to keep and made run nicely fro me.....i only run with chain--no rope rode, so my gypsy is perfect for the job, i made sure i got hi tensile chain, as gypsy has written onit to use..i love both.

skipmac 21-04-2013 05:57

Maxwell makes a good windlass.

zeehag 21-04-2013 06:37

many good windlasses out there--maxwell, lofrans, simpson lawrence, lewmar...many..is what you want somewhere--good luck as searching is more fun than finding....

John Galt 22-04-2013 17:15

Very happy with my Lofrans Tigres!

Pricey too, but bought mine for $800 and rebuilt the innards.

heintje23 22-04-2013 17:25

I just ordered a new Muir. Will let you know when i have used it ;)

KuparukGypsy 22-04-2013 17:29

2 Attachment(s)
This apparently frozen piece of gear sure looks like the Lofrans Tigres being referred to. Sounds like I might just want to tear the thing apart and see what I find. (This is on our new-to-us-boat, presently waiting for our house to close so we can get after the boat for major re-fit.) I am pessimistic but it sure sounds like it's worth the effort.
Thanks all ~

Pelagic 22-04-2013 18:05

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by KuparukGypsy (Post 1215860)
We're keeping our eyes open for a Lighthouse 1501 dual gypsy plus rode electric anchor windlass on sale somewhere, they're pretty spendy. What are some other dependable, well-supported names/models we might want to consider?

35,000 lbs, 42' ketch with dual thru-pulpit anchors.

Thanks for your input.

KG

I like the Lowfrans Titan with vertical Drum.. and is what I have on Stargazer, which can handle twin anchor deployment:
Lofrans - Horizontal Windlasses - Titan

• First consideration is if you have room for motor above deck?.. (makes it easier to service)
  • Second I prefer the horizontal Gypsy as it is a more natural run from chain locker to bow roller on a fast drop.
  • I like the (Red) brake wheels positioned away from pinch points, unlike the Lighthouse knobs.
  • A vertical Drum mounted on top is far more versatile to use for pulling from any angle, if you are trying to warp yourself against wind or tide
  • Large stainless Clutch bar doubles as a manual winch and is more powerful to use than a standard winch handle that the Lighthouse uses.

Also recommend you do not use foot switches, as a wander lead with up/down if far more versatile, when anchor is fouled
Did not do a cost comparison, but Lowfrans has a +40 year track record to consider

Cheechako 22-04-2013 18:14

Maxwell and Lofrans. I've had well used and new Maxwell vertical windlasses, never had an issue with either.

Strait Shooter 22-04-2013 18:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pelagic (Post 1217228)
I like the Lowfrans Titan with vertical Drum.. and is what I have on Stargazer, which can handle twin anchor deployment:

• First consideration is if you have room for motor above deck?.. (makes it easier to service)
  • Second I prefer the horizontal Gypsy as it is a more natural run from chain locker to bow roller on a fast drop.
  • I like the (Red) brake wheels positioned away from pinch points, unlike the Lighthouse knobs.
  • A vertical Drum mounted on top is far more versatile to use for pulling from any angle, if you are trying to warp yourself against wind or tide
  • Large stainless Clutch bar doubles as a manual winch and is more powerful to use than a standard winch handle that the Lighthouse uses.

Does the Titan come with a 12V option? The Falkon was a consideration earlier on in my refit. I chose the Lighthouse because it too can deploy two anchors at the same time with gypsies in opposition of each other. I just think that for the zombie apocalypse, being able to do that would be way cool.

I also like the waterproof remote and their new wireless remote. I do like that Titan though.

Pelagic 22-04-2013 19:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strait Shooter (Post 1217247)
Does the Titan come with a 12V option? .

I am default 24v on all my systems but specs says ‘Motor IP-rating 66 (12/24V)’ for Titan-B

Strait Shooter 22-04-2013 19:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pelagic (Post 1217262)
I am default 24v on all my systems but specs says ‘Motor IP-rating 66 (12/24V)’ for Titan-B

Thank you, their website doesn't mention the Titan as having a 12V option. I thought it was odd.

John

Pelagic 22-04-2013 20:10

John,
I don’t think they consider it an option….
You can see it on this link on the Right side listed under main features
…Just above Installation and user’s manual download

Strait Shooter 23-04-2013 05:23

I see that now, thanks. On reflection I believe that their bottom spreadsheet/graft may be in error then. As they list no 12v motor set up, yet offer (4) 24v systems.

The total Lighthouse package was almost 7K. What's the cost on a decked out Titan?

What the heck was I thinking seems to be a recurring theme of late.

John