Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-11-2011, 17:01   #1

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Womanship ?

A friend posted this on another forum, can anyone here help her out?
Quote:
I've been reading some dismal reviews about Womanship sailing classes. Any thoughts on this organization?

Does anyone have other suggestions for a 5-7 day on-board sailing class? (Beginner level). I would appreciate any input. Shooting for January 2012 - so will probably need to be out of Florida or the Caribbean.
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 18:31   #2

Boat: Gulfstar 53; Grace
Re: Womanship?

I took a 3 day Womanship course in October 2010 in Annapolis. The first date I was scheduled to attend was cancelled the day before because the instructor had an emergency. I selected another date. That class was cancelled, but I was not notified. I found out about that cancellation when I called the office in the morning I was leaving to verify the address. I was lucky that I lived only 3 hours away and had just started on my way down. I requested a refund because of the cancellations and was denied. I explained that my work schedule is made up 6 weeks in advance and requesting time off AGAIN would be almost impossible. Womanship explained they do not give refunds but give 18 months to take the classes in. I explained I did not think that was acceptable because THEY cancelled, not me. Still no refund. I did not want to loose the large amount of money I paid them in advance, so I scheduled ANOTHER date. This time they did not cancel. The instructor was excellent. Her teaching style was thorough and she did not advance to another concept until all students had a good understanding. There were only 2 of us. My advice: Sign up with caution. I read of women that went through the expense of getting to the Caribbean only to find the course cancelled. Read that contract very carefully. Refunds do not happen!
justdoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 19:38   #3

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
Re: Womanship ?

Don't know about Womanship, but you can try Colgates offshore Sailing School. I beleive that's the correct name. Try googling it.
Sent wife tothe school and she and her sister had a great time.
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 19:44   #4

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by justdoit View Post
I took a 3 day Womanship course in October 2010 in Annapolis. The first date I was scheduled to attend was cancelled the day before because the instructor had an emergency. I selected another date. That class was cancelled, but I was not notified. I found out about that cancellation when I called the office in the morning I was leaving to verify the address. I was lucky that I lived only 3 hours away and had just started on my way down. I requested a refund because of the cancellations and was denied. I explained that my work schedule is made up 6 weeks in advance and requesting time off AGAIN would be almost impossible. Womanship explained they do not give refunds but give 18 months to take the classes in. I explained I did not think that was acceptable because THEY cancelled, not me. Still no refund. I did not want to loose the large amount of money I paid them in advance, so I scheduled ANOTHER date. This time they did not cancel. The instructor was excellent. Her teaching style was thorough and she did not advance to another concept until all students had a good understanding. There were only 2 of us. My advice: Sign up with caution. I read of women that went through the expense of getting to the Caribbean only to find the course cancelled. Read that contract very carefully. Refunds do not happen!
I've always heard; It's a Woman's Prerogative to Change Her Mind.
Old 15-11-2011, 20:51   #5

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
I've always heard; It's a Woman's Prerogative to Change Her Mind.
That's funny... Dangerous, but funny

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2011, 12:19   #6

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Womanship doesn't seem to have a set curriculum or a particularly clear standards for instructors. The upshot is that quality is a crap shoot. Some people have a great experience and some have a poor one.

After a great deal of research and discussion with Womanship students I now recommend J/World.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2011, 13:51   #7

Boat: compromis 909 34ft

Hey there, just joined this forum. I'm a 29yr old fem who will shortly be living aboard with hubby on our sailing yacht Phira. Would really be grateful of any tips you ladies may have regarding living aboard. Plus also looking forward to meeting some new friends on here.

Take care

Peg
peggyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2011, 16:10   #8

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Welcome aboard Peg!

Here is a forum especial for the ladies. >>> http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f92/
Old 19-11-2011, 16:32   #9
TEE

Well, I have to say I know nothing about Womanship, or ladies only sailing schools. I spent a season though in the BVI and had the opportunity to watch some "sailing instruction" being given to a ladies only class there, and had to scratch my head. I won't name the school, but did get the opportunity to see them moor to a national parks bouy overnight (which tells me they didn't know what they were doing) and use only one line through the bight. Luckily the wind didn't pick up overnight, and the boat wasn't on the rocks the next morning.

I went to Colgate Offshore sailing school about 15 years ago, then later to Chapmans School of Seamanship, then to Sea School for CG license training, then took various safety seminars since that time. The past three years I have been sailing out of Nanny Cay in Tortola, and Swain Sailing school is there. I haven't taken any course from them since I think of myself as a know it all, but have been impressed by their instructors and from conversations with some of their students. I can't recommend any specific school, but think they are a good one. On the other hand, I would recommend you find a sailing school that is either ASA or US sailing approved, or what I would consider the best which is the RYA.
TEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2011, 17:14   #10

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36

While a great concept and many have had a great time... they depend on donated or chartered boats. The first can be "needy" and the latter must be paid for before it leaves port. Read the fine print.

then... I am... only a man

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2011, 17:32   #11
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v 'Faith' View Post
A friend posted this on another forum, can anyone here help her out?

Why would women need a special class? Do we have special needs or something?

ASA has a good reputation. They're kind of the bench mark, and they have classes all over and in the Caribbean also, I think.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2011, 17:36   #12
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggyd View Post
Hey there, just joined this forum. I'm a 29yr old fem who will shortly be living aboard with hubby on our sailing yacht Phira. Would really be grateful of any tips you ladies may have regarding living aboard. Plus also looking forward to meeting some new friends on here.

Take care

Peg

Keep all your food in containers. Rice does a good job of keeping moisture down, and you should put it any prescription bottles.

Decide where you're going to keep things, and label the space.

Find a way to secure things when sailing. Things will go flying when you heel -- Sir Isaac Newton IS aboard! I made fabric panels that snap to the cabin walls to hold things on the shelves when I sail. You can also use pad-eyes and straps to hold things, like TVs, printers, etc., in place when you sail.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2011, 18:25   #13

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

Shouldn't it be Seawomanship? Just a thought
Old 21-11-2011, 05:03   #14

Boat: Saugeen Witch, Colvin design vessel name: Witchcraft

Although women do NOT strictly speaking require a women's only class, some women feel more comfortable learning the so called *men's* skills with other other women. It feels less intimidating for them. It may have to do with different communication styles among other things.
The important thing is good instruction, and getting comfortable and skilled at sailing.
Fair Winds
Witchcraft
witchcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 14:22   #15

I am another one of those who had my Womanship class cancelled the day before and it has been very frustrating dealing with them. Justdoit is absolutely correct - they do not refund money, regardless of what expenses you may have incurred to take one of their courses. And they seem to cancel a lot! Only seems to be worthwhile if you live in or near the town where the course is being held and if your schedule is very flexible. I am due to take my re-scheduled course next month - I will let you know how it goes...
cruisinqueen is offline   Reply With Quote