Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2010, 06:48   #1

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 352
Woman, 28, Aboard a 35' Boat Sailing Around the World with Her Man

Time for some discussion!

As many of you were involved in previously, let's move on from where we finished. My post about our circumnavigation has been removed from this forum without any notification from the admins. Might be some of the intense, conservative members who reported the content of our blog as.. what was it now again? "too sexy".. "too sleek and too commercial" or just too professional? Because I can't imagine that the small discounts (we're mentioning this in our blog) we have received for our (very expensive) circumnavigation would be that outrageous? A circumnavigation that we have worked on night and day in order to make this dream finally happen. Who doesn't get loyal-customer-discounts after been a good client for years?

Also I can't in my wildest dreams imagine that the moderators of this very forum are as conservative as a few of those above mentioned members, who can't accept a new way of cruising. A colorful, well edited (I am a photographer and web designer), a bit sexy and different way of living afloat. Is it so terrible to inspire in a new way? Shall things always be like they always were or is there room for a change? We're still waiting for a reply from the admins.

It is fantastic the amount of private emails we've received in the last 24 hours from strangers out there who love what we do and how we do it, from people who get inspired of our lifestyle and who want to follow our journey online. And even more funny is the fact that one of the emails we got was from a man who urged us to stop posting on forums like CF as we "destroy" the good reputation and "natural environment" of the cruising world. Isn't this hilarious?!

Find my original post below and I'm posting it up again like this until I get an explanation from the admins of why it has been removed as we haven't got any notification of that the content is disrespectful to the rules:

"Hi there,

Me (28) and my man (36) are living aboard our Hallberg Rassy 352 and planning on leaving for a circumnavigation in October. I would like to share my stories and pictures from this journey with you. Right now we're cruising along in the Mediterranean.

Please have a look at our daily updated blog where we're sharing our preparations for this voyage. Link below.

Best regards,
Taru "

Also fellow cruisers out there, could you please recommend some beautiful sailing/cruising blogs for us to get inspiration from. We want to see something new! I just heard about Mark and Nicolle's website "life at sea" and that is what we call a beautiful cruising website. Please hit us up with some more. Thanks!

Taru and Alex on s/v Caos, right now in The Mediterranean
Old 30-07-2010, 07:14   #2
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
I have a few that I keep bookmarked, some because they are fun, some because they have a wealth of experience and information. Cruisers come in all flavours and I like sampling each one ; -)

Beth & Evans
Sarana At Sea
More progress on the dodger | S/V Hello Texas
Our Journey Around The Globe on the Good Ship Byamee
Our Life At Sea
Things That Work
Cruising and sailing Faq's and information

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2010, 07:49   #3
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Sailing Blog | Nautical Book Authors | Lin & Larry Pardey
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2010, 08:11   #4

Boat: Whitby 42
Here are my top three favorites:
Slapdash - Younger couple sailing a cat
Adventures of the Sailing Vessel SohCahToa - 3 younger guys circumnavigating
Sailing Blog - AfterBlue - Young people sailing Bahamas & Cuba

Hoy
AHoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2010, 08:26   #5
cruiser

I'll keep coming back to the fact that its the content, not the age of the cruiser. It becomes nauseating seeing sites with the same old same old self indulgence.

Technical Blogs about cruising
Me-me-me blogs about cruising
Travelogs that run on like the Travel Channel about cruising.
etc.

What I'd like to see is cruisers that are trying to make a difference in this world. Something with cause. Use to be that cruisers would carry supplies to some South Pacific Islands for native people. Some do charitable work on the cruise. Something. Anything.

Find a cause if you want to be really interesting and make a difference. Make the journey more than just for yourselves, and be inspirational in that way.
Old 30-07-2010, 08:35   #6
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
yeah, many blogs (not just sailing) are the same ole same ole.... but I gotta say I find it inspirational to read about folks who, instead of living in the sedentary safe dry world, actually get it together and set off into the deep blue... For me they don't have to do much more than that to provide me with a *look, they are doing it, I will be able to as well* sense of inspiration.

And I learn how many different ways there are to do it as well, which tells me that when I find the way that works for me, that will be fine as well...

Some of the blogs write beautifully and I love reading them, some of then are beautiful and are a feast for the eyes, some are just funny and real and ordinary in an interesting kind of way...

So those with a mission are cool, but those with out a mission, with just a boat and a plan, are cool to me as well.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2010, 08:41   #7
cruiser

Some of the videos were cool. MarkJ had me laughing with his recent ones - his wifey in bed half asleep - dreaming of steering the boat and grinding winches. That sort of ads a touch.
Old 30-07-2010, 15:12   #8

Boat: Islander Freeport 36
I thought you blog was fresh looking, with interesting photos, and over all I liked what you're doing. Only one thing that seemed a little contrived to me, and that was all the 'posing' your fine looking lady does in the photos. Other than that, I didn't have a problem with your blog.
JiffyLube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2010, 15:22   #9

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Love the blog, thanks for hanging in there and not getting run off by this odd behavior. We really are a nice bunch I promise! I hope to see you out there, maybe you could teach me a thing or two about jazzing up blogs and such (though my tiny bikini days are over :-) ).
BTW- keep the recipes coming!!
Cheers and Welcome to the forum,
Erika
Old 30-07-2010, 15:41   #10

Boat: Rou-Coo is a 16 ft Canoe. A big Sister is in the planning stages!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
So those with a mission are cool, but those with out a mission, with just a boat and a plan, are cool to me as well.
Hear-hear! I find it is the overall quality and interest level. Besides which, if you don't like it don't read it. That's not a reason to shut down a thread. I suppose those on a mission could be cool but I generally steer clear of them. I find their narrow focus rarely makes them interesting to anyone who doesn't share that single passion.

I like what this couple is doing. And having spent a little time in Barcelona I understand where their 'flair' is coming from.
Rou-Coo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2010, 16:34   #11

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
I'll keep coming back to the fact that its the content, not the age of the cruiser. It becomes nauseating seeing sites with the same old same old self indulgence.

etc.

What I'd like to see is cruisers that are trying to make a difference in this world. Something with cause. Use to be that cruisers would carry supplies to some South Pacific Islands for native people. Some do charitable work on the cruise. Something. Anything.

Find a cause if you want to be really interesting and make a difference. Make the journey more than just for yourselves, and be inspirational in that way.
You mean "me" is not a cause ... what else could there possibly be?
Old 30-07-2010, 16:48   #12

I know of one particular forum where they'd be extremely appreciative and wholeheartedly encouraging of your blog's 'sexy' style.
Bimini Babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2010, 17:12   #13

Location: hailing port: Pensacola on the stern, bodies in Fort Myers
Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37'
Taru is strongly visually oriented, and frankly, some of the "sexiest" photography is of the food -- even the freshly-caught bonito was striking, suitable for framing :-) If you don't want to read Taru's opinions about her butt, stay out of her "lifestyle blog," is all. It's clearly separated.

I'm enjoying reading the progress of the refit, anyway, even when there are few words it's clear that a lot is getting done. I'd like to know more about that arch you just installed, though...?
AquatiCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2010, 17:35   #14

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post

etc.

I agree... mostly

But causes? 'Causes' are generally a PITA. People in a 'cause' are usually a collection of people who are really pissed off about something, so the whole purpose of their effort is to change it. Unfortunately it often makes them so negative and with such a jaundiced outlook that they're hardly fun to be around, or read about.

They also often attract social misfits who find acceptance in the cause because they swell the numbers, and so become part of the 'family'. Unfortunately they then colour the image and don't do it any favours. Many religious communities have this problem.

There are a few exceptions I guess... Greenpeace, Diane Fossey, Steve Irwin (was he really and Aussie?)

and Doodles, you crack me up
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2010, 18:02   #15

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
I agree... mostly

But causes? 'Causes' are generally a PITA. People in a 'cause' are usually a collection of people who are really pissed off about something, so the whole purpose of their effort is to change it. Unfortunately it often makes them so negative and with such a jaundiced outlook that they're hardly fun to be around, or read about.

They also often attract social misfits who find acceptance in the cause because they swell the numbers, and so become part of the 'family'. Unfortunately they then colour the image and don't do it any favours. Many religious communities have this problem.

There are a few exceptions I guess... Greenpeace, Diane Fossey, Steve Irwin (was he really and Aussie?)

and Doodles, you crack me up
Thanks for the compliment VV ... and I guess I mostly agree with you. It seems like everyone has to have a cause these days that their current endeavor is supporting. You know, "I'm rowing around Australian to raise awareness of _____ (fill it in)." After a while its just too much ... at least for me. But this "worldtour" blog thing seems to be at the other extreme ... all about "hey, look at me and what I'm doing!" Frankly, there is nothing new and their route has been done a million times. I like blogs that take me somewhere new and a different way ... be it a 14 year old or a 76 year old. My impression is the blog will be all glossy photos of another day in paradise somewhere ... oh well.

Tags
round the world