Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2010, 19:38   #76
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Main Entry: iro·ny
Pronunciation: \ˈī-rə-nē also ˈī(-ə)r-nē\
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural iro·nies
Etymology: Latin ironia, from Greek eirōnia, from eirōn dissembler
Date: 1502
1 : a pretense of ignorance and of willingness to learn from another assumed in order to make the other's false conceptions conspicuous by adroit questioning —called also Socratic irony
2 a : the use of words to express something other than and especially the opposite of the literal meaning b : a usually humorous or sardonic literary style or form characterized by irony c : an ironic expression or utterance
3 a (1) : incongruity between the actual result of a sequence of events and the normal or expected result (2) : an event or result marked by such incongruity b : incongruity between a situation developed in a drama and the accompanying words or actions that is understood by the audience but not by the characters in the play —called also dramatic irony, tragic irony
synonyms see wit

Doesn't seem like irony to me. Seems downright nasty and sarcastic.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2010, 21:44   #77

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Maybe you don't realize what is happening and your intent is not to derail what could be an interesting discussion. This thread is about a young couple setting out on a circumnavigation. She inquired about fav links and such.

BTW- this type of stuff doesn't just run off the newbies. Sarafina, thanks for trying, I thought your post excellent and well said.

Erika
Old 01-08-2010, 09:35   #78

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
+1 to Sara
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:42   #79
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
Fair comment. I'm a bit of a... "so, where do you put in the key to wind it?" kinda tragic, but I was in the publishing game until about 8 years ago. Fairly boring, corporate stuff. We were just starting to be able to use digital images then.

Taru is using a Canon Eos 450 D, and mentioned you can pick one up for around US$500. Sounds pretty good to me. You using similar equipment, or any other recomendations? Of course the cost is going to be in the lenses, I imagine...
Yeah, that's just about when the first pro...or at least semipro models finally started to become affordable.

Similar. I have a 40D, 10MP (which really is plenty) discontinued and replaced by the 50D (15MP). The 50D sells for about $968.99 for the body only. The 40 and 50 are part of I guess what you'd call Canon's pro-sumer line. They may have a features that the Rebels don't have (450 D also know as Rebel Xsi in the states), but the main difference is the bodies.

The 40, 50, etc are just slightly larger, and have metal (I believe aluminum bodies). Much more rubust than the rebels, which I'm not a huge fan of. They just feel like you could snap them in half with your bare hands. I haven't had the greatest luck with my 40D, maybe just a lemon...or maybe me not babying it enough, but my 10D was 6 years old, beat to ****, but still ticking when I sold it to upgrade to the 40.

Regardless of what you go with, I highly recommend buying just the body, and then doing some research on lenses, and buying them separately. I use all Sigma, which have decent glass at a fraction of the cost of Canon lenses, although I'll admit, not as robust as Canon. Tamron, another lower priced lens seems to be built better than the Sigmas, at a similar price, but I don't think the glass is as nice.

PS -Sorry for the thread drift. On the other hand, considering the train wreck this is becoming, I don't think I have much to apologize for.
off-the-grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 12:33   #80
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
As a somewhat experienced moderator I am very disappointed by the way this thread evovled. We are a friendly place and support all kinds of cruiser's dreams and adventures.

The thread devolved into how the blog was constructed and the content of the blog. Then some started making judgements of new members with nine posts to their names without even getting to know them. Many of the posts are borderline nasty to the point where other members are asking the thread to be closed?

Why close virtual tours thread because a few members decided to play nasty? That's not how it works.

What does work is that those who are being unwlecoming, judgemental and nasty get moderated, privately. As all moderation is done.

So in addition to Sara's warning I will add a, "knock it off" - You know who you are so start playing nice, don't read this thread and if it bothers you don't read the Virtualtour blog.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 12:40   #81

Boat: PETERSON 44
Ill add a hear yeee. Although I am having fun on another thread it was not meant or intended to Mimic this members postings as has been suggested. They have a well put together blog a good plan, good boat. I wish them the best.
SABRAY and the woman who is younger then me
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 17:04   #82

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post

What does work is that those who are being unwlecoming, judgemental and nasty get moderated, privately. As all moderation is done.
That's fine Ex-Calif, I don't mind a warning when we step over the line and I guess we did, but what galled several of us was that Sara preceded her warning with several judgmental and nasty remarks directed at members. You can't have it both ways. She needs to stay above the fray; otherwise, she loses credibility.
Old 01-08-2010, 18:26   #83

Boat: Islander Freeport 41' Ketch
I, for one, was enthralled by this blog. Taru turned me on to some great music, if nothing else. A smart, sexy, confident young woman that is probably a major pain in the ass, but I like her!
ty.gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 18:49   #84

Boat: Morgan OI 414
Enjoy the blog very much and find it very spicy, I like allot of spice in my life. I don't see what all the hoopla is about,they are just two individuals out there doing what they love,making their dream come true and blogging about it. They are sharing it with those that are interested,if your not interested or don't like it, then don't read it, simple as that. But these two people have my support and I like what they are doing. I want to thank them for sharing it.
Inthewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 19:18   #85
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
That's fine Ex-Calif, I don't mind a warning when we step over the line and I guess we did, but what galled several of us was that Sara preceded her warning with several judgmental and nasty remarks directed at members. You can't have it both ways. She needs to stay above the fray; otherwise, she loses credibility.

Thanks for understanding, Doodles.

I'll defer speaking for Sara.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 21:05   #86

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post

And if she doesn't, well she will be in good company. Many people come here a few times and then don't drift back in often. I haven't seen others coming in for this preemptive strike of complaints.
Sara,
I think that pretty well sums it up. Ironical isn't it...

Obviously this intro wasn't like all the others and so copped the negative response from a lot of members, myself included.... although I've just discovered what a moderate I actually am

Maybe... " ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it..."

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 21:26   #87

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Please only post what is pertinent to the thread, Taru and Alex getting ready to live the dream many of us have, circumnavigating. There are basic rules in place to help people utilize the great resource this forum can be. If you want to justify your actions, comment on an observation not related or so loosely related it could be considered thread drift then start your own thread.

Taru, what are the biggest challenges you think you two will face? Are you going to take on crew? Your story about Alex mixing epoxy in one of the galley soup bowls was too funny, though in his defense good epoxy mixing bowls are hard to find.
Cheers,
Erika
Old 01-08-2010, 22:30   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Please only post what is pertinent to the thread, Taru and Alex getting ready to live the dream many of us have, circumnavigating. There are basic rules in place to help people utilize the great resource this forum can be. If you want to justify your actions, comment on an observation not related or so loosely related it could be considered thread drift then start your own thread.

Taru, what are the biggest challenges you think you two will face? Are you going to take on crew? Your story about Alex mixing epoxy in one of the galley soup bowls was too funny, though in his defense good epoxy mixing bowls are hard to find.
Cheers,
Erika
Erika,
You're confusing the thread with the blog, which is a natural mistake when emotions are running high!

Taru started this thread spicifically to respond to her other thread being pulled. Issues relating to how and why that happened are Totally appropriate and are not thread drift, even if you don't like it.
However, what is needed in the discussion is manners, civility, respect... in fact all those noble traits that, sadly, did go out the window.

I think overall the mods are doing a great job, generally, with diplomacy in trying conditions. They've succeded in letting the thread run, which has probably taken a bit of courage.

The other point is that a HUGE part of the enjoyment of this forum is humour, a bit of banter and teasing. It's what keeps things light and avoids totally dry, technical detail. Don't knock it.

If you want to discuss stuff from their blog, like something to do with mixing epoxy or whatever, that's not a problem, but it is thread drift, and maybe starting another thread, or just saying... I saw this on their blog,.. etc. would be appropriate.
That way you won't be setting yourself up for the very criticisms you are levelling.

And a last point, quickly before I think of any more... Their initial posts were to tell us who they are, what their plan is, but very much to refer us to their blog.
So, with multiple posts hitting us, all 4 or 5 at once, it did feel like spam, and criticism of their blog was going to happen. You can't ask a few thousand people to look at you, and then let the admirers speak glowingly, but muzzle the ones who look, and don't like what they see.

What I'm finding interesting is, the non-admirers haven't attacked the fans, just the couple, but that isn't the case the other way around... just an observation.

The fact is, they've inadvertantly got far more publicity than they actually could have been hoping for, and a lot of members will no doubt now follow their blog. From their perspective, "Mission Accomplished". I never doubted they're smart!

Vic

PS. When I asked Taru for details of her camera equipment, she responded very sweetly, and I did likewise. I dare say we'd happily share a rum and chardonay if our paths ever cross.

Old 02-08-2010, 02:35   #89

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
I dare say we'd happily share a rum and chardonay if our paths ever cross.
They don't look like they put rum in their chardonnay - I dare say that must be some weird Aussie drink
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:23   #90

Very quick...

But okay... how do you get chardonay down??

Tags
round the world