Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2010, 05:19   #1

Boat: Currently Boatless
Where Are the Cruising Kids ?

Come on cruisers! Lets get some families out here enjoying the life - you don't know what you're missing...

We have been in Annapolis for over a month now (anchored in Spa Creek) and I have to say the kid boats are few and far between and its been much the same in our journey from the Charleston to here over the past 3 months.

We are heading south in the next couple of weeks for the Caribbean - if there are any boats out there with 10-14 year old company for our (mature ) 12 year old send us a PM - we would love to hook up.

Our son agreed to 2 years but mom and dad would like to stay out a bit longer - if the kid factor doesn't kick in soon we have no negotiation for an extension. As much as he loves the life, kids need kids to hang around with.

-Kevin-
KevinE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2010, 08:21   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Yep. Why not have a well marked corner at the CF?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 21:01   #3

Boat: St Francis 50
We just finished cruising after 4 years but will be in the Spa Creek area for the boat show. Friends that are still cruising with 2 boys... 14 and 11 will be visiting. They will be back out again this winter.
saratogamanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 21:16   #4

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
I have two great cruising kids that went with me around the world. Then they grew up. Bummer. Now they want their own yachts. My crew got vaporized.

When we sailed across the Pacific, there were plenty of things to do, and my kids were never bored. When they arrived at an island, out came the volleball and net, and before long there was a game on the beach with the locals.

I guess it helps if you have at least two kids of about the same age.

Socialization skills are massively superior in most cruising kids. They don't disappear into virtual reality with video games, internet, and television, because the real world is so much better than the imaginary world created by modern media.

The only thing better for a kid than cruising for two years is cruising for three, four or even five years.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 22:22   #5

Boat: Yamaha AR192
Send a message via Skype™ to ArmyChief
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post
Socialization skills are massively superior in most cruising kids. They don't disappear into virtual reality with video games, internet, and television, because the real world is so much better than the imaginary world created by modern media.
Dave,

Very nice statement...gonna send that one to my wife

Doug
ArmyChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 22:31   #6

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Maybe we were saving money to fund the kids' college educations instead of spending it on boating. (Sorry, I am ornery tonight.)
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 15:44   #7

Boat: lagoon 3803
Family of 5 (plus dog). Mom, Dad, 16, 12, 9. Making way south to Bahamas, and looking for same. Our Website... familysailing.me

Spending next 5 days in Yorktown, VA then Hampton, VA
familysailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2010, 18:03   #8

Boat: Bombay PH 31
Ive a 10 and a three yr old. their in school for the year in melbourne fl.
Any crusing down ICW stop in at dragon point for hot dogs!
keyspc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2010, 05:38   #9

Location: Currently cruising the Philippines, just got back from PNG & Solomons
Boat: Wauquiez 45' (now 48') catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Jon Hacking
Cruising as a Family

If you're a sailing family, or thinking of taking your family cruising, you might want to read Sue's article on Cruising with Teens, as well as what our teens, Christopher and Amanda, wrote about this lifestyle (they were 12 & 15 when we all moved onto Ocelot in 2001). Chris has a big section with many pages on all aspects of the Cruising Life (written when he was 16‑18 and not edited by adults). Amanda writes about her feelings about life on a sailboat, written when she was 18, looking back on 6 years aboard. But it did take them about a year to fully embrace the cruising lifestyle, so you need to be patient.

For us parents, we feel that this lifestyle turns out wonderful young adults, and we don't just mean our own, as we see it over and over. Cruising kids are usually given many more responsibilities than shore-based kids, and the vast majority of them rise to those responsibilities, becoming more responsible themselves (Amanda was standing a full night watch by herself when she was 13). They tend to become a bit precocious, but that's not unexpected, given that they're living in an adult world. But that adult interaction also makes them more used to dealing with adults in mature ways, becoming more mature themselves in the process.

Also, the opportunity to be with our kids so much of the time has been an absolute god-send to us. It also limits a lot of the peer-pressure that kids are exposed to in most US high schools (for drugs, sex, alcohol, etc). But teens need privacy, & that's often difficult on a small boat. We've seen several crusing families swallow the hook because the kids needs weren't respected. Sue's Cruising with Teens article talks about this quite a bit, & what we did to help the kids enjoy the lifestyle as much as possible. Because when the kids are happy, the whole boat's happy.
Old 17-11-2010, 08:18   #10
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
The farther south you go. The more kid boats you will find..........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2010, 07:13   #11

Boat: Catalina 400
Hey All -

Many of you know me as the Admin/Moderator at Sailnet and From Mainsheet. In case you don't, we have two boys at 6 & 10. We are in Fort Myers Beach right now. We are sailing down to Boot Key (Marathon) tomorrow or Sunday. Would be happy to meet with any other kids there. We will probably head over to the Bahamas in the next month or so after that and maybe over Christmas. So if there are any other boat kids around Marsh or GT, let us know!!!

Brian
Old 19-11-2010, 09:02   #12
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
Hey All -

Many of you know me as the Admin/Moderator at Sailnet and From Mainsheet. In case you don't, we have two boys at 6 & 10. We are in Fort Myers Beach right now. We are sailing down to Boot Key (Marathon) tomorrow or Sunday. Would be happy to meet with any other kids there. We will probably head over to the Bahamas in the next month or so after that and maybe over Christmas. So if there are any other boat kids around Marsh or GT, let us know!!!

Brian
CRUISING WHO?.......hehehehehehe......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2010, 11:24   #13

Boat: Bombay PH 31
did i find
http://kids4sail.org
In this thread ?
if not check it out and join, new site looks like it could use support.
BTW
We are changing boat name to ODAT. as soon as i get that kid sanding
Still planing to go Key West from Melbourne FL (US) and back for christmas break. Stephen (10) would love some company.

Any kids comin down intercoastal are invited by stephen to come for hot dog at dragon point!
keyspc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2010, 12:20   #14

Boat: Catalina 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
CRUISING WHO?.......hehehehehehe......i2f
Hey... where's my magic button!?? Just wait till you get to Sailnet!

Brian

PS Hope you are feeling well.
Old 29-12-2010, 16:30   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Kadey Krogen 42, previously Kalik 44
Hi Everyone!
If you've got kids aboard, definitely join Kids4Sail.org!!!!
We've got over 30 members now all located on a map. The more members, the better we can find each other. I'm also creating a burgee for "kid boats" so we can easily identify ourselves out there.
I feel everyone's pain! I've got a two year old girl in need of a friend or two. We're in Charleston, SC for the winter.
SpringWater is offline   Reply With Quote