Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2016, 09:51   #1

Boat: Moody 39
Where and when can I find the perfect weather?

As a family of pale skinned Scots, and with our eyes on distant horizons, one of our biggest worries is that we will struggle to find suitable cruising grounds with bearable temperatures. The usual Atlantic circuit, Med, Pacific Islands appear at first glance to be terrifying hot.

Is there such a thing as a global map of summer high temperatures?
SY Kelpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 12:38   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Where and when can I find the perfect weather?

Kelpie,

It's a hard call on that. People also often acclimatize, and you might, although I do know some cold clime people that find temps in the mid 20's C. quite warm. I am sure there is an average temps per season world map, probably Googling it would be best.

We did meet a couple of young men from the Orkney Is. who were greatly enjoying Tonga, though, so it really is individual. I found the Solomons quite hot at first, but was okay after about 6 weeks, and then found summertime Brisbane pleasant, where I normally would find it "too hot." Acclimatization at work.

Good luck with it.

Ann
Old 19-12-2016, 13:38   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Don't worry about it.

After you've spent a few months acclimatizing, you won't want to go back to Scottish weather
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 13:55   #4

Thanks all
Our only prolonged experience of a warmer climate was a summer in NZ which was too much at times, but hopefully we could adapt to that given enough time. But really anything over 20C is wasted on us! It's one of SWMBO's main worries about going long term cruising so I'm trying to find out if it's possible to visit more temperate places and/or choose what time of year to keep things easier on us.
Our boat is a bit of a sweat box as well- dark blue hull, saloon mounted engine, after motoring for a few hours on a sunny day it is a bit of an oven! Of course we could paint it white

I can find maps of global average temps, but not ones of summer highs.

Thanks again
Old 19-12-2016, 14:03   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Where and when can I find the perfect weather?

Maybe your best bet is summers in the UK then come Sept head S to France and down the W coast, along N Spain exploring the Ria's then stop at Baiona.. or maybe even go down the Portuguese coast to the Algarve and W Spain..
Come April start back North..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 14:05   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Maybe your best bet is summers in the UK then come Sept head S to France and down the W coast, along N Spain exploring the Ria's then stop at Baiona.. or maybe even go down the Portuguese coast to the Algarve and W Spain..
Come April start back North..
That does sound tempting! I've heard Galicia gets rather wet over winter but then again we do live on the west coast of Scotland so most climates are an improvement
Old 19-12-2016, 14:17   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Anything over 20C ?

When the temperature gets below 25C, I break out the warm clothes
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 14:22   #8
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Where and when can I find the perfect weather?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY Kelpie View Post
That does sound tempting! I've heard Galicia gets rather wet over winter but then again we do live on the west coast of Scotland so most climates are an improvement
That's why I tagged on the Algarve.. remembered a December in Viviero where the roads were snow bound from 500metres above sea level..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 18:30   #9

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

Kelpie I am of the " finding mid 20's quite warm" ( to quote Ann) variety.
For me, Sydney even at 30 deg is bloody awful. Can't wait to be in Tasmania for winter.
But really, isn't it all about latitude? Assuming Aberdeen @ high fifties north should be pretty cold, surely then 35 north sould be lovely. But Sydney even at 34 south can get to 40c without much trouble. Only in the southern summer would I want to be further north than 30 degs.
Is a plan, say, depending how much chill you like, to stay between 35 & 45 either side of the equator?
I do remember being in Colombo in the middle of their winter and when leaving the hotel the heat was a nightmare.
Surely the Pacific Islands, other than New Zealand, are going to be between warmish and pretty darned hot, depending on season.
Fortunately you can find the temperature of anywhere just by using the English language's newest verb....to ...google.
I'm guessing you aren't equatorially inclined and possibly not tropically either.
So is between 30 deg and 45 either side of the Equator an idea?
My reckoning, having lived in the Himalaya, is that pullovers and jackets do a fine job. But when you don't have A/C life in hot places is living hell.
My next boat will be from the UK so that I can cruise the amazing British Isles and Scandinavia etc.
Just a thought or two from from a decrepid old heat detester.
I reckon you'll come up with a plan.
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 18:49   #10

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Just a note, here, that we found the tradewinds to commonly blow, and nicely (for us) keep the boat cool most places. It was our first arrival in the Marquesas, seemed hot, at about 6 deg. South, and the Sollies, at about 9 deg. S. But, we had become tropic acclimated, in Mexico, before.

Travel by sailboat is slow, and allows you time to acclimatize. However, the OP's boat would benefit from his installing hatches near the foot of the beds, to ventilate all the berths. Hatch dodgers can be made to keep out the rain and still allow the air in, and the fresh air, with the addition if necessary, of fans, should work. After all, there are heaps of folks from Angleterre who have circumnavigated.

Ann
Old 19-12-2016, 19:41   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

We Scots have emigrated to every place with a hospitable climate in the world. Could have something to do with the sunny and warm conditions in our native land. The only place I've found unbearable was a hot spell in Norfolk, VA. Something about 100 degree temp and equal humidity that can make you a bit sweaty.

Living in a boat on the hook with sun awnings is actually quite bearable almost everywhere. There is most always some breeze and the boat swings to the prevailing wind to get decent airflow through the boat.

Peter Ogilvie
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 02:10   #12

Thanks again for the replies.
It is true that being out on a boat at anchor can be blessedly cool thanks to the breeze. And some of our oveheating horror stories relate to holidays to inland destinations, where humidity was higher and wind speeds lower.

Latitude is probably a highly important factor, but what I'm missing information on is seasonality. We don't want to stay in one place for a whole year so in theory we should be able to visit places with unbearable summer temps- just not in summer! But of course some places are not best visited out of season due to high winds or even hurricanes. So much research to do :/
Old 20-12-2016, 04:28   #13

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

I'm guessing that weather won't be an issue for you. As my grandmother, & great uncle would come over from Scotland to the US to visit frequently for summer holiday, until they were well into their 80's. And we traveled all over the country without them having any issue. Even in Florida, & Washington DC/Maryland. Which, the latter is pretty warm & humid anytime but winter. Commonly seeing 35 deg.+ temps.

For weather info, re. temps, you can find some via looking up a place on Wikipedia, as well as Wunderground, or www.NOAA.gov & plenty of other websites. For example there's a list of weather resources on the Bowman's Union page.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 04:32   #14
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

The only time I get hot is coming out of a supermarket with air conditioning in 30 minutes you lose aclimatization .
So my advice is never to put AC on a boat.

Trade Winds are an essential to the tropics. And a boat that scoops them down the hatches.

So it sounds like you don't have the boat for the tropics either.

That still leaves you with Northern Europe, Nth Atlantic and Canada etc.
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 04:38   #15

I have to say Croatia in May / June (Central & Northern Dalmatia coastline) certainly wasn't to hot, a little cool for me in fact but superb weather all around and cooler than the likes of Greece etc. Some really great sailing and Split is a terrific base to start from.
BelindaMcIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weather