Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2022, 02:40   #61

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'
Re: US couple buying catamaran in Turkey and traveling around with our dog

I have to wonder just what the poor dog did to justify what you are proposing to put it through, leave it at home with a trusted and loving person/people and reconnect when you return.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 04:40   #62

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Helia 44 - Hull #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudine View Post
Oh my goodness, I am so happy to hear from someone who's experienced this because after all the reading I did yesterday, my brain melted. Sounds a lot more complicated when I first started reading through it all, but really, it's pretty straight forward.

If the pet has a good record of all vaccinations and USDA certificate (requires a titer test) you shouldn’t have any issue returning to the US after Turkey as long as the vaccinations are still current. I think the same will be true coming back to EU with a pet passport. Life could get more complicated if the US vaccinations expire when you are outside the US
AllenRbrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 05:19   #63

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenRbrts View Post
If the pet has a good record of all vaccinations and USDA certificate (requires a titer test) you shouldn’t have any issue returning to the US after Turkey as long as the vaccinations are still current. I think the same will be true coming back to EU with a pet passport. Life could get more complicated if the US vaccinations expire when you are outside the US
That's correct for the EU. Titers are valid for life as long as there are no gaps in the rabies vaccination record.
You can return with an EU animal health certificate but they cost a lot, are 13 pages and often filled out incorrectly causing problems at the border. Ours has been stamped and initialled 25 times! Life is a lot easier with an EU pet passport.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2022, 07:26   #64

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudine View Post
Thanks for the info. She was microchipped over a year ago. We will be going to France first to visit family and plan to get an EU pet passport before going to Turkey. We would like to stay in Turkey around 90 days and then begin to travel to Greece and go west from there. We’d like to stay in the med for about a year before returning to the states. When we go back into Europe, we can just re-enter with the same EU pet passport? Will we need anything returning to the EU after 90 days in Turkey? Thank you very much!
The microchip needs to be the format that EU (and Turkey) accept: If I remember correctly, there are two different formats used in the US and the 'longer' numeric one is the one you want. We used 'Petlink' and theirs was compliant. My wife and I sailed to Fethiye, Turkey in 2018 and had to go through both EU (Portugal, Italy) and Turkey vet checks - the EU system has pretty strict requirements. One requirement I do remember is that you are required to provide a pet health cert from the US dept of Agriculture. They are particularly difficult if you sail to the EU from Turkey - not so bad, the other way around. If you already have a EU pet passport, you should be ok. (We had 3 cats and 2 dogs)

BTW, I highly recommend ECE Marina in Fethiye (Mugla province, Turkey) for longer stays - wonderful place with great weather protection: We have kept our monohull there since 2018 and plan to sail her back to the US 2023. One of the advantages of keeping the boat in Turkey was the lack of VAT for five years if you maintain marina slip. Have fun!
Sailndive345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2022, 07:33   #65
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
US couple buying catamaran in Turkey and traveling around with our dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenRbrts View Post
My two cents is get the titer test done in the US now. It is my understanding it is good until the rabies vaccine expires. You should be able to get a titer test done in the US in 30 days or perhaps less. Key is to use a vet who knows the process both with the titer test and USDA approval. Try to get actual lab result paperwork rather than just receipts for tests, the receipts are not generally accepted as proof of test results. In our experience, most times custom folks wave you through without going through all the paperwork, but we always have all the paperwork in order and organized just in case.

Titer test must be done in a Eu approved facility

USDA approval not needed for EU health cert but is needed for a Turkish health cert.
Old 15-07-2022, 07:35   #66
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailndive345 View Post
The microchip needs to be the format that EU (and Turkey) accept: If I remember correctly, there are two different formats used in the US and the 'longer' numeric one is the one you want. We used 'Petlink' and theirs was compliant. My wife and I sailed to Fethiye, Turkey in 2018 and had to go through both EU (Portugal, Italy) and Turkey vet checks - the EU system has pretty strict requirements. One requirement I do remember is that you are required to provide a pet health cert from the US dept of Agriculture. They are particularly difficult if you sail to the EU from Turkey - not so bad, the other way around. If you already have a EU pet passport, you should be ok. (We had 3 cats and 2 dogs)

BTW, I highly recommend ECE Marina in Fethiye (Mugla province, Turkey) for longer stays - wonderful place with great weather protection: We have kept our monohull there since 2018 and plan to sail her back to the US 2023. One of the advantages of keeping the boat in Turkey was the lack of VAT for five years if you maintain marina slip. Have fun!

While the pet passport is “ sometimes “ accepted for entry into the EU. It’s not formally legally sufficient for entry from a non EU country
Old 15-07-2022, 07:36   #67
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
I have to wonder just what the poor dog did to justify what you are proposing to put it through, leave it at home with a trusted and loving person/people and reconnect when you return.

I agree dogs should not be on a boat.
Old 15-07-2022, 07:58   #68
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I agree dogs should not be on a boat.

Silly us. Our dog is entering its 19th year with the vast majority of that time living on a boat. I can guarantee the dog has enjoyed its time living on the boat much more than living in a house. Key phrases there are living on vs. living in as on the boat a much greater time is spent outside vs. inside in a house.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2022, 09:31   #69

Boat: Currently Boatless

Might be easier to immigrate to an EU country LOL. Nomad Capitalist on Youtube had some good videos on best countries to do this.

We have been thinking about cruising the med for a couple of years as well. I have come to the conclusion that there is more pain than gain. Definitely wouldn't do it with a pet...

A Canadian friend of ours has been based out of Turkey on their boat for the past 2 years. They have 90 day visa limitation but you can get a 1 year residence permit ... but this requires a signed one year contract in a marina. He also said finding DIY boat yards is very difficult or expensive as they typically charge 35 euros per day for each outside worker you you bring into the yard. He has been happy with the quality of workmanship though.

His other off the cuff comments:
Croatia is expensive and crowded
Greece - budget on 6 months to get a 1 year visa and the application has to be made from your home country.
"The regulations are burdensome and growing by the year!"

They are on a 10+ year circumnavigation and he suggested SE Asia (Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia). Similar 90 day visa limitations but some countries you only need to leave for 3-5? days for a refresh. And far less expensive than the Med...

The nomadic days of a cruising sailor are slowly (rapidly?) dwindling away.
KevinE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, catamaran, Turkey