Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2016, 12:43   #1

UK Homeschooling methods

Hi everyone.

We are currently saving and planning for a circumnavigation of the globe in 2020 with our young daughter who will, by then, be around 7.

The plan is to live aboard the boat for several years as we travel around the world, homeschooling my daughter on the boat.

I hear a lot from US folks about the Calvert method of homeschooling but does anyone know of anything similar for the UK, or any good methods of homeschooling linked to the UK curriculum?

Thanks in advance!

Bec
cruisingmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 12:47   #2

Re: UK Homeschooling methods

IIRC from chatting with a British couple - it varies with each home council re what the formal requirements are. Like in the US, it varies with state and jurisdiction. If you talk to your local school council now - you get a sense of what's available and required, and if the home council requirements are not realistic, you have time to establish elsewhere.
Old 29-09-2016, 04:21   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Bec.

https://www.gov.uk/home-education

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 05:07   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: UK Homeschooling methods

There are a lot of Home Schooling Curriculum resources on line if you type this in your search..
I would also suggest you contact Cambridge University as they set curriculums for many schools and colleges world wide.. they may be able to supply a program.
My education in Pakistan was set by them and it was a very broad and comprehensive education.. not the UK's modern joke education that seems to discard actual education for politically advantageous end of term results.. to the detriment of the kids intellects.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 11:45   #5

Thank you everyone for all the useful information! I'm new to this forum so thanks for the welcome.

I'll get reading up on all this!
cruisingmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 09:02   #6

We are planning to do exactly the same, well, maybe as far as Australia, leaving in 2020. We have twins who will be aged 7 also and Mum is a primary teacher in the UK. We are thinking that by the age of 11, they will need to be in mainstream secondary education somewhere, though not necessarily in the UK, by which time they may be needing more contact with their peers. Nice to know we are not alone and wish you all the best on your forthcoming adventures.
Twinship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 05:29   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Twinship.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
school