Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2010, 03:38   #1

Boat: Jeanneau, SO 42.1 "Far Niente"
Turks & Caicos Pet Info Request

We're considering visiting the T & C after clearing in at Bimini. Does anyone have experience with what the regs are for cruising pets (dogs) visiting there? Permits required? If so where/how are they acquired? Thanks.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:27   #2

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
According to the noonsite web page (an excellent source of information on most countries)
Pets

There is no quarantine for visiting pets. A veterinary certificate stating good health and a current rabies vaccination is required. The Public Health Inspector will examine the animal upon arrival.
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 06:10   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottleinamessage View Post
We're considering visiting the T & C after clearing in at Bimini...
Clearing in at Bimini will get you a Bahamian cruising permit.

The Turks & Caicos (TCI) are a different country, requiring another clearance at Providenciales, South Caicos, or Grand Turk.

See Ports of Entry ➥ Turks and Caicos Islands Marinas and yacht provisioning

And ➥ Noonsite: Turks & Caicos

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 06:25   #4

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
If you were unaware that T&C are different, are you really asking what is required to take a pet into the Bahamas? If so, that is a more involved process. See the following links.

Bahama Pet Importation Information
Bahamas Pet Importation Documents

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 07:47   #5

Boat: Jeanneau, SO 42.1 "Far Niente"
We know the Bahama proceedure well. We plan to enter and wander down towards Rum and Conception before heading to T & C. Thanks.
Old 08-07-2010, 07:50   #6

Boat: Wittholz Trawler
Having just cleared into the Turks & Caicos with one dog and one parrot we can tell you what's needed. If you are already in Bimini you'll need a veterinary certificate from a Bahamian vet - don't expect a US one to work as they look for clearance from the "exporting" country. If you did everything you were required to do to get the animal(s) into the Bahamas then it should be a simple process (as long as all shots and rabies titers are current) of visiting a local vet, or have them come to the boat (typically about $150) and give you a vetinary health certificate. If you have a CITES listed pet as we do - it's a little more complicated.
Every country has different laws, but pretty universally they don't care where the animals originated, but where you're NOW comming from, so if for example you go from Turks & Caicos to the Dominican Republic you should get another vet certificate from the Turks & Caicos, or even if you're just going back to the Bahamas and have been in T&C - though we're informed the Bahamas will often permit re-entry within 30 days of the issuence of the original health certificate this is not guarenteed.
Turks & Caicos are beautiful by the way - well worth the trip. Recommend Southside marina if not anchoring out, better rates and very friendly, however others are closer to downtown.
memorymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2010, 16:00   #7

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
That is something new - getting local vet's to inspect the animals. Of course things change all the time depending upon local interpretations. Historically you provided your Bahamian Pet license obtained prior to arrival along with a USA vet certificate/statement of good health. For the T & C, historically they could have cared less about animals on board beyond the entry on the clearance papers.
- - Technically, but loosely followed, the local vet thing was for "importation" of an animal into the country which meant people moving into land houses. Cruising boats were considered "pets in transit" by the local officials and you were only told - if the official was concerned - that the pet must stay on the vessel. Which nobody with dogs ever observed.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2010, 16:13   #8

Boat: Wittholz Trawler
That the TCI in many instances apparently cared little about pets on cruising vessels was a known fact in the past, however since a recent Parvo-Virus outbreak, things have changed somewhat. Five weeks ago the customs inspector went through our paperwork with a fine tooth come with regards to both pets - much more stringent than the cursory glance at paperwork given by the inspectors in the Bahamas.
memorymaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Turks and Caicos