Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2012, 22:43   #1

Boat: Wanted 45' Hunter center cockpit
Question Time to beat the big record.

I'm young now, too young to beat the record but i'm gonna start the research now. I plan to beat the Youngest Person to double circumnavigate the earth unassisted and without stops. I may possibly attempt to beat Jesse Martin's record so i need to know of a ship that is around 30-45 ft that is very sturdy, and extremely fast. I really want to beat this record and I have thought about it for some time now and it's what i want to do.

So i need a fast and extremely strong sailboat, who has some ideas. Please give me some good answers....
chucklet321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2012, 23:08   #2

Re: Time to beat the big record.

Definitely a hunter.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2012, 23:15   #3
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Welcome aboard chucklet321.

While I don't personally think much of your endeavour, that doesn't stop me is offering what is hopefully good advice.

It is clear you don't have much knowledge yet and again that is understandable given you presumably young age.

As you are interested in speed, you must first decide if you are planning on a mono or multi hull vessel. As a rule of thumb, lightly loaded multis are by far the fastest but would take more skill in maintaining control in heavy seaway; and you will experience heavy seas in the Southern Ocean - but perhaps you know that already .

The best way to get speed is to go big and that needs deep pockets so next work out how many dollars you (or your sponsors) are willing to throw at this project. Once that is known, we can forward more advice .
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2012, 23:48   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Welcome aboard chucklet321.

While I don't personally think much of your endeavour, that doesn't stop me is offering what is hopefully good advice.

It is clear you don't have much knowledge yet and again that is understandable given you presumably young age.

As you are interested in speed, you must first decide if you are planning on a mono or multi hull vessel. As a rule of thumb, lightly loaded multis are by far the fastest but would take more skill in maintaining control in heavy seaway; and you will experience heavy seas in the Southern Ocean - but perhaps you know that already .

The best way to get speed is to go big and that needs deep pockets so next work out how many dollars you (or your sponsors) are willing to throw at this project. Once that is known, we can forward more advice .
I want a mono hull, preferably 1 stateroom but i could use 2 for storage, like the guy above said, are hunters really that fast, i know alot about hunters and there the brand i know the most about but ive never heard much about there speed capabilities. btw i think id depart from somewhere around panama and sail above africa and through the mediteranian and an across the atlantic, the voayage would be westward but africa is still debatable because its so close to saudia arabia and there are alot of pirates up there wihich would not be a very pleasent suprise to seel one of those over the horizon, like i said i know alot about hunters so ill understand what your talking about, ive been doing quite a bit of sailing research...
Old 28-09-2012, 23:55   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Definitely a hunter.

I was on the cruiser forum and thought, well that guys dumb hunters aren't very fast and then i looked at your profile and was very impressed and now realize i am probably wrong and hope to get some of your advice about my trip, but i do know that there not that fast im looking for something pretty fast for under 100k I know allloottt about hunters except there speed so i would like your help in this process. Please reply.
Old 29-09-2012, 01:37   #6
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklet321 View Post
I was on the cruiser forum and thought, well that guys dumb hunters aren't very fast and then i looked at your profile and was very impressed and now realize i am probably wrong and hope to get some of your advice about my trip, but i do know that there not that fast im looking for something pretty fast for under 100k I know allloottt about hunters except there speed so i would like your help in this process. Please reply.
Mate, you are new here and obviously quite young so let me tell you in the gentlest way, Rebel H had his tongue firmly planted in his cheek when he posted. If you haven't heard the phase before, do some more research and google it; or read my lips - a Hunter is slow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklet321 View Post
I want a mono hull, preferably 1 stateroom but i could use 2 for storage, like the guy above said, are hunters really that fast, i know alot about hunters and there the brand i know the most about but ive never heard much about there speed capabilities. btw i think id depart from somewhere around panama and sail above africa and through the mediteranian and an across the atlantic, the voayage would be westward but africa is still debatable because its so close to saudia arabia and there are alot of pirates up there wihich would not be a very pleasent suprise to seel one of those over the horizon, like i said i know alot about hunters so ill understand what your talking about, ive been doing quite a bit of sailing research...
Next get an atlas (a real one, printed on paper) and have a look at where the land is and where the water is. Now remember you can't enter locks or the Suez canal without stopping or without assistance and you will see that all non-stop solo circumnavigations require a trip around Cape Horn and a jaunt through the Southern Ocean. In your case, two trips!

Possibly the bit of advice right now would be go and buy a copy of John Sanders book of his triple non-stop solo circumnavigations.
See http://news.curtin.edu.au/news/curti...on-collection/

Good luck, what you want to achieve is possible but your learning curve will be steep.

And you WILL need a deep wallet (very deep).
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012, 02:05   #7

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Stay away from north east Africa,

And travel west to east.
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012, 02:47   #8
Lt.

First let's do an assessment of you as follows: 1-have you sailed before, if so how much, when and where?
2-why do you want to do this
3-when do you need to do this?
4-what is your total overall everything budget?
5-chime in with any other useful information ;-]
Lt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012, 04:01   #9
CLOD

Boat: none

this thread is so wrong already, in just a few posts we have encouraged a dangerous undertaking by someone who obviously doesn't have the knowledge or experience while at the same time starting a boat trashing

but then it probably is a troll waiting to get some other topics added to it, at least we can hope
Old 29-09-2012, 04:23   #10

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Chucklet. It is extremely important that you do extensive research before buying your most invaluable assest for your undertaking.

I am, of course, talking about your choice of buckets! Having the right bucket(s) on board can easily mean the difference between making back alive or not.

Fortunately for you, all of mankinds collected wisdom regarding this topic is to be found right here on CF. The International Bucketeers Squadron has spent countless hours delving into the black depths of bucketdom.

No one else on this planet knows more about buckets than them. An invaluable resource at your disposal.

Good luck

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012, 04:30   #11

Boat: Outremer 5X

http://www.sailspeedrecords.com/

Contains the following on their home page, and no longer ratifies the "youngest" records:

"Note that we have a policy of not ratifying "youngest/oldest etc" claims or attempts and our rules do not include such categories. We concentrate on speed record attempts and claims, and no longer recognise "human condition" categories which can expand to such an extent that almost anyone would be able to claim a record of some sort. The other issue is that whilst we can clearly monitor and ratify "speed/time" records - at which we have become rather expert - the verification of age/ disability/marital status etc is a less exact science."
dan360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012, 04:36   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Morgan 321 - 32'

You're going to miss all the beautiful things along the way, people, places, different cultures.
sloopygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012, 05:23   #13

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloopygirl View Post
You're going to miss all the beautiful things along the way, people, places, different cultures.
agreed, what a pointless endevour. Why dont you set the record for something that is going to change the world for the better, or at least dont consume resources in some fruitless attempt to get a record that someone else will break someday anyway.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012, 05:27   #14
CLOD

Boat: none

and on another thread the OP asks about a Hunter 420

you guys aren't feeling punked?
Old 29-09-2012, 22:13   #15

Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Chucklet. It is extremely important that you do extensive research before buying your most invaluable assest for your undertaking.

I am, of course, talking about your choice of buckets! Having the right bucket(s) on board can easily mean the difference between making back alive or not.

Fortunately for you, all of mankinds collected wisdom regarding this topic is to be found right here on CF. The International Bucketeers Squadron has spent countless hours delving into the black depths of bucketdom.

No one else on this planet knows more about buckets than them. An invaluable resource at your disposal.

Good luck
+100
Cruisers & Sailing Forums - The International Bucketeer Squadron!

Tags
boat names, circumnavigation, jesse martin, record