Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2009, 15:23   #31
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
+1 on the galley rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Simple rules set up in the beginning sounded childish: 'only one person in the galley at a time'. It sounded stupid then buts its just so important. If living cheek by jowl is difficult to a couple in love whats it like for those that need a foot of air-space?
We subscribe to the same rule, and our galley is bigger than Mark's. (We've watched the video.)

I love to have friends/family come join us once we're at a destination where we only short-hop from one anchorage to the next. And I always love it when they leave.

Long passages with inexperienced "crew?" No thanks. I've tried it. Non-boaters tend to yak too much when they go stir-crazy. I prefer the silence.
Old 28-11-2009, 15:55   #32

Boat: Long range motor cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Non-boaters tend to yak too much when they go stir-crazy. I prefer the silence.
Hope I'm not quoting you out of context Bash, I don't mean to. It's an interesting observation you've made. It's not something I've thought of but it fits in and explains why I've sometimes never invited a friend on to my boat after the first time. It's the lack of being able to just 'be' and not have to fill every moment with words.

P.
The message is the journey, we are sure the answer lies in the destination. But in reality, there is no station, no place to arrive at once and for all. The joy of life is the trip, and the station is a dream that constantly out distances us”. Robert Hastings, The Station
fishwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2009, 16:16   #33

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishwife View Post
Hope I'm not quoting you out of context Bash, I don't mean to. It's an interesting observation you've made. It's not something I've thought of but it fits in and explains why I've sometimes never invited a friend on to my boat after the first time. It's the lack of being able to just 'be' and not have to fill every moment with words.

P.

From my experience I like to get out and unwind and there is nothing more frustrating then the scenario you are talking about. It is like bushwalking I have taken a person up a mountain and got to listen to his family problems and woes on the way up and the way down. The dude just would not take the hint about relaxing and listening to the birdcalls. As far as I am concerned most rational people following a “get out and enjoy their life” philosophy would have dumped these tensions after the first few hundred metres of the ascent.

Likewise, I am not a psychiatric nurse or paid tour guide. As pointed out in a few past posts, it takes considerable time, hard work and investment to realise these dreams.

Thanks too for reminding me of a few basics so I can enjoy my upcoming trip (alone if necessary!).
Old 28-11-2009, 16:40   #34

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Dang...there sure are a lot of men in the ladies room...

Now what were we saying about testosterone?

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2009, 16:48   #35

Re: Ladies Room

Opps - I got here via a link and did not read the rules - last thing you want on a cruise is a pervert who hangs around hoping the girls will undress (bloody newbie gatecrashers!)

I am out of here!
Old 28-11-2009, 16:51   #36
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
I'm safe as I am feeling very female today.

But I never know what sub forums these posts are in as I just read the newest...

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2009, 18:30   #37

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurferShane View Post
Re: Ladies Room

Opps - I got here via a link and did not read the rules - last thing you want on a cruise is a pervert who hangs around hoping the girls will undress (bloody newbie gatecrashers!)

I am out of here!

Elizabeth Swann: You're pirates. Hang the code, and hang the rules. They're more like guidelines anyway

Don't worry Shane this little corner of the forum is for male and female. You won't start to crave pink if ya post here, you may suddenly want to get in touch with your feeling though.
Erika
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2009, 20:39   #38

@ Erika

If you read the posts I am just as likely to get barred by the blokes at the local yacht club after admitting a minority of men are alcoholic pathological womanisers who talk crap and suffer major hang-ups! (Again, not a breed of testosterone filled moron anyone sensible, male or female, would want to spend time in a confined space with).

Now if you could all just be kind enough to keep this thread a secret till I pay my membership and get a cheap mooring!
Old 28-11-2009, 22:48   #39

Boat: Wauquies Centurion 42' Satisfaction
Well, actually.....

I am amazed at the amount of discussion I started....didn't someone comment before about too much talking?

I did post to this forum to hear women's point of views, as I of course am one....are all the women down in galley cooking and cleaning?
seattle sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2009, 22:58   #40
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattle sailor View Post
........I would appreciate any comments experienced folks would like to give me. Couples out there, how safe do you feel it is for just the two of you? .........
Quote:
I did post to this forum to hear women's point of views, as I of course am one....are all the women down in galley cooking and cleaning?
Opps, my bad, I should of realized that you where wanting to hear women's point of views rather than comments from experienced folk and / or couples. I promise I won't let it happen again - please disregard anything I posted on this thread

My partner would have posted except she is too busy cooking and cleaning
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2009, 01:43   #41

Boat: Columbia T-26
Am wondering why no one has mentioned, that a little 2-3 day crash course, a test run could be a good eye opener for both of you..Take him out in bad weather and see how you all work together. Look at your freinds qualities, is he any good with engines does he mind getting his hands dirty D.I.Y. ect... There is the makings of a good sailor in alot of people once given the opportunity to learn.
IrieSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2009, 07:01   #42

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:
I am amazed at the amount of discussion I started....didn't someone comment before about too much talking?

Well, hearing many and widely varied answers is a risk anytime we ask a question in public.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2009, 10:02   #43

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
You are the one who knows your relationship and this other person as well as you own abilities. I don't think anyone here is in a better position to judge the trade-offs than you are.

I have both seasoned sailing friends and new crew join me often. I've never regretted it, but they join me not because I need help, but because I desire to share the experience with them.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 03:55   #44

Boat: Roaring Girl: Maxi 120 ketch, 12 long
Hi - of the comments here many are right in that it's a trade off. Go out and sail as a couple to gain confidence. You still may want a crew/friend along for certain passages. We did take two friends for Biscay crossing and it worked out really really well, and we're all still friends. Otherwise, we do have friends for short/day sail type sailing and that's good too. We very rarely have male guests, and therefore it's nearly always all women on Roaring Girl.

I would be very hesitant to put all sailing plans into hock for finding crew. That's a real downer on ambitions and opportunities, so you might want to make sure you and your partner can handle the boat and are as good at you can be at maouvering, weather prediction, fixing kit etc etc. These skills will go a long way to dealing with insecurities.

Watch-keeping on the open sea is the easiest bit to deal with, once, as a couple, you find your rhythm.

HTH
Roaring Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:04   #45

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Quote:
And cleaning and polishing the stainless if they're topside. This is considered a pink job. Guess this is my last post on this site. What the hell, I'm off cruising for the next six months anyway. Be back in June.